1 (2) (resized).jpg
1 (4) (resized).jpg
1 (1) (resized).jpg
DSC04195_moyenne (resized).jpg
DSC04193_moyenne (resized).jpg
DSC04194_moyenne (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

hi
a friend wishing to make a mechanical charlie's angels from an electronic model asked me him to transform his playfield.
he wants to do this job because this game is very hard to find.
the backglass will be manufactured from a scan of an original backglass and performed by a printer.
the circuit will be copied from the original game, not easy
the cabinet will be made by him, it's not very difficult.
just the playfield is an hard job.
let me show you the process.
start by identifying the differences.
LOAD SPECIFICATIONS (resized).jpgLOAD SPECIFICATIONS (resized).jpg
I machined plugs from a jungle queen playfield who he's very very damaged,and the wood will be of the same quality and it should not be any reaction( i hope )
charlie's angels (1) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (1) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (2) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (2) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (3) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (3) (resized).jpg
here is some part to plug.charlie's angels (4) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (4) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (6) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (6) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (5) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (5) (resized).jpg
i used wood glue.charlie's angels (7) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (7) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (8) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (8) (resized).jpg
it's donecharlie's angels (9) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (9) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (10) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (10) (resized).jpg
all of the inserts are sanded to get a facelift, just the red and green one aren't sanded because it's a color that does not age.
charlie's angels (12) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (12) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (13) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (13) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (14) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (14) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (15) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (15) (resized).jpg
everything is in place
i can sanded the playfield
charlie's angels (16) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (16) (resized).jpg
some drawings of it to be erased welfare level.
dyeing of wood for the original color.
charlie's angels (17) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (17) (resized).jpg
then, a coat of varnish and varnish injection into the inserts which are curved.
I let it dry a month to be on not having stress with my wood caps.

#2 7 years ago

There are ALOT of differences in the artwork and rule set/scoring of the two versions. I wish you all the best of luck. I've NEVER seen another one of these in person, expect for the one that I own so I can see why he's getting that desperate to make his own.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#3 7 years ago

Wow, lots of work!
I think rewiring and soldering are much tougher than playfield artworks...
So, I believe your friend must have an EM machine to convert.....which one? Jungle Queen? Jet Spin? Vulcan?

#4 7 years ago

When you get it done let me know if you want to do a Bigfoot conversion for me. I'll pick up a beat up Bow and Arrow and all we need to do is recreate the playfield in a larger size since the layout is the same and just extend the wires under the playfield a bit. I already have the backglass. Besides Floyd said its ok with him, Seriously.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

IMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

Wow, lots of work!
I think rewiring and soldering are much tougher than playfield artworks...
So, I believe your friend must have an EM machine to convert.....which one? Jungle Queen? Jet Spin? Vulcan?

My friend has done this type of work.
together, we made the space walk No. 126 ^^
I would do atread on this reproduction as soon as possible .
I think it's for the charlie's, he took the mechanics of a jungle queen.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

When you get it done let me know if you want to do a Bigfoot conversion for me. I'll pick up a beat up Bow and Arrow and all we need to do is recreate the playfield in a larger size since the layout is the same and just extend the wires under the playfield a bit. I already have the backglass. Besides Floyd said its ok with him, Seriously.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

why not, we just need some pictures of the complète playfield.

#7 7 years ago

the following.
we designed the missing parts in the wood area for a cutting mark.
charlie's angels (1)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (1)_moyenne (resized).jpg
and then, laying a vinyl to the stencil which is cut on the playfield.
charlie's angels (2)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (2)_moyenne (resized).jpg
I keep the positive white parts to mask them when i put the yellow.
charlie's angels (4)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (4)_moyenne (resized).jpg
a white spray paint of egg shell.
charlie's angels (6)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (6)_moyenne (resized).jpg
then i put my positive on the white paint .
charlie's angels (7)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (7)_moyenne (resized).jpg
and i remove the mask for the yellow.
charlie's angels (8)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (8)_moyenne (resized).jpg
the yellow is painted with an airbrush because i made the yellow color.
difficult to find the good color in spray paint.
charlie's angels (9)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (9)_moyenne (resized).jpg
i remove all protections.
charlie's angels (10)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (10)_moyenne (resized).jpg
soon

#8 7 years ago

hi
we must draw the frmed form, with stencils.
to align the positive, i use a sheet of paper as a square,wedged on the edge of the playfield.
charlie's angels (11)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (11)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (12)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (12)_moyenne (resized).jpg
then the négative stencilscharlie's angels (13)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (13)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (13)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (13)_moyenne (resized).jpg
remove the positive.
charlie's angels (14)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (14)_moyenne (resized).jpg
the same.charlie's angels (15)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (15)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (16)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (16)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (17)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (17)_moyenne (resized).jpg
white air brush.
charlie's angels (18)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (18)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (19)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (19)_moyenne (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

make realignments with paper pencil ( HB )
charlie's angels (20)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (20)_moyenne (resized).jpgI forgot a yellow portion in the left leg, on the black, i will be hard.
charlie's angels (21)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (21)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (22)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (22)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (24)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (24)_moyenne (resized).jpg
the painting can continue.
charlie's angels (23)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (23)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (27)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (27)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (26)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (26)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (28)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (28)_moyenne (resized).jpg
we made a mistake on the top : the orange/brown VS pink, we will begin charlie's angels (25)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (25)_moyenne (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

view of the playfield.
charlie's angels (30)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (30)_moyenne (resized).jpg
the last stencils.charlie's angels (32)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (32)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (33)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (33)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (31)_moyenne (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (31)_moyenne (resized).jpg
to be continued

#11 7 years ago

HI
the airbrush to finished the colorscharlie's angels  (1) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (1) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels  (4) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (4) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels  (3) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (3) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels  (2) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (2) (resized).jpgfor safety, i varnish the playfield before continus.
few days of driyng and i can put all the stencils.charlie's angels  (5) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (5) (resized).jpgsome benchmarks in writing because there are black, white and pink
charlie's angels  (6) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (6) (resized).jpg
the pink first and then the white.charlie's angels  (7) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (7) (resized).jpgI can finish top of the circlescharlie's angels  (8) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (8) (resized).jpg
charlie's angels  (9) (resized).jpgcharlie's angels (9) (resized).jpgremains as black and bicolor inscriptions

#12 7 years ago

What serial number are you going to give this game ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#13 7 years ago

The talent on this forum is unbelievable. Best of luck!

#14 7 years ago

I love it… fantastic project!

#15 7 years ago

That is a crazy project that only a talented set of enthusiasts can take to completion. I hope we can also see some posts about the electrical part and of the building of the cabinet.

I cannot wait to see the backglass too.

Yves

#16 7 years ago

hi guys
few days of holidays at a science fiction show, i'm back.
so, for the product number, is a good question.
there 350 game, so i think to give it 0351, what do you think about ?
i just tell to my friend to take most of pictures of the built of the electrical backbox, cabinet, under playfield.
we will show you the maximum information of this project.

as I said, the space walk was made and there has been a change tray for a close encounter for the same project, and also the solar ride is scheduled.
in fact the more difficult to find collection.

for backglass is quite difficult because everyone does not take the risk of going photographed in a professional for fear of breaking.
but it is on track
some picture of the playfield.
it's almost over, it remains only to make the letters in white and the circles of the rollover stars
DSC04112_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04112_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04113_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04113_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04114_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04114_moyenne (resized).jpg
soon

2 weeks later
#17 7 years ago

hi, this is the end of the story for the playfield.
the stencil of the gottlieb signature, not easy.DSC04185_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04185_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04187_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04187_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04190_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04190_moyenne (resized).jpg
some pictures of the end.
DSC04194_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04194_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04193_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04193_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04192_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04192_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04195_moyenne (resized).jpgDSC04195_moyenne (resized).jpg
just varnish the surface.
my friend want a glossy finish, but i tell him i'm not agree, it's better for this game to finished satin/dusky like original , but ..... he's the boss for his game
a sort video of the finished playfield.

As soon as I have pictures of the continuation of this project, I would not fail to drop them here.
thank's for reading

#18 7 years ago

Amazing work

2 weeks later
#19 7 years ago

Hi Franck,

Great work (as always)
Thread title edited.

#20 7 years ago

How beautiful, playfield looks like it has an inch of clear coat, superb job!

#21 7 years ago

thank's guy's
i have restored the apron.
i show you the process.
first i sanded the apron and i painted it with white spraypaint.
I printed the patterns on a very thin water decals paper ( laser )
1 (1) (resized).jpg1 (1) (resized).jpg
I cut the shapes without worrying about getting close to the drawings.
When it is varnished, it will not be seen
1 (2) (resized).jpg1 (2) (resized).jpg
Here are a few of them placed1 (3) (resized).jpg1 (3) (resized).jpg
I put the decals in the water a few seconds, then I separate the support by dragging the decals with the finger
then i put them on the apron
1 (4) (resized).jpg1 (4) (resized).jpg
I can take my time for the alignment because if it starts to stick, just put back water to be able to again drag
When the alignment is good, it is necessary to chase the water by sliding on a paper handkerchief holding one end
1 (5) (resized).jpg1 (5) (resized).jpg
it's done
1 (6) (resized).jpg1 (6) (resized).jpg
these little lines are the most difficult work.
the following is to easy.
I continue with the red strip.
so, again in the water few seconds.
i placed it and I pull the support from below with a small electronic components.
1 (7) (resized).jpg1 (7) (resized).jpg
done
1 (8) (resized).jpg1 (8) (resized).jpg
I dry with the handkerchief and I check with a rule that it is well aligned.
1 (9) (resized).jpg1 (9) (resized).jpg1 (10) (resized).jpg1 (10) (resized).jpg
Like center for logo.
1 (11) (resized).jpg1 (11) (resized).jpg
i finished with the two arrows and the copyright.
1 (12) (resized).jpg1 (12) (resized).jpg
It's good to work with a model to take visual cues.
1 (13) (resized).jpg1 (13) (resized).jpg
I will let it dry before putting at least two coats of varnish

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/charlies-angels-conversion-electronique-playfield-to-mechanical-pla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.