(Topic ID: 95750)

Charging a customer for restore

By Spudgunman

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Normally I work for trade of machines or beer (lots of beer)

I have a project recently that I will take on taking a very neglected pin and restored it to like new condition (meaning a full tear down shopjob with a playfield polish) I do this a lot but this time it's just a dude I don't know. It will be a cash buisness transaction, for a pin he provided. (Typically I just resell restores which is easy to price out)

So my question is this, what would you charge? And if you don't do this work, what would you pay for this? I'm thinking like $500 (which is cheap) for the work but I have 3 other pins from this guy to repair to working condition. So charging around $1300 for labor while I feel justified is a bit interesting for a hobby. I would love input from people who restore or who might pay for this service so I can spitball a price that is fair.

Note for labor and cheap parts only (I charge seprate line item for costly game specific parts)

#2 9 years ago

That sounds like a decent price. Is he dropping them off and picking them up as well? At that price I would require that they pay for needed parts like you said. Any board work would be extra and there would be no timeline to get it done either. Drop them off and I'll call you.

#3 9 years ago

$500 seems way cheap for a full tear-down.

The one thing you will NEED to do for sure is get a written contract. Spell out hidden damage/repairs, loss from flood/fire, how you will inform him of any needed changes. Spell out EXACTLY what you will be doing and not doing.

That way there is no misunderstanding, no arguing, no bent dicks.

#4 9 years ago

For one you are calling a rebuild a restore which is way more involved.
    I have been asked to do this and always decline, just not worth the headaches.

#5 9 years ago

Yea it is cheap, but he is a average joe, I like the work. There is no timeline. So it's sort of a wash. More money more problems type of attitude.

#6 9 years ago

I agree with Vid, write down everything you know is wrong and will repair, clean and recondition. That way if you find something major that is wrong or made of unobtainium, you can explain that you can't fix that item or he will need to find the part/pay extra.

Track your hours in a day/time type log and show that to him at pickup so he understands what a deal he got and/or so you know how to price future projects.

Dealing with someone new can cause issues with expectations. He may say its no rush now but when you are 3-6 months in and still not done because your regular life got in the way, he may get upset so you are better off setting that expectation up front. Like you said, when you do this on a pin you bought, there isn't someone waiting for it to be completed!

#7 9 years ago

how in depth of a restoration you doing? or you just doing a nice in depth shop job and fixing errors?

#8 9 years ago

I have considered doing this over the winter months here in West Michigan but do not think anyone would be interested. Not sure that $500 is worthwhile for 50-60 hours of time invested especially if customer headaches were tossed into the mix, If you knew everything would go perfectly hassle free I could see it.

#9 9 years ago

but at the same time, I would put 100+ hours on some playfields and only got $500-600 back in the day. and that was including clearcoating costs. Needless to say, I had to increase my prices the past 2 years.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/charging-a-customer-for-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.