• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Sonny_Jim
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi all!

The other day, listening the TZ DCS track, I remembered that a piano fanfare in the DCS track is also inside the production ROMs, just unused

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rr222asdhmzj3m4/Piano%20Fanfare%20Unused.ogg?dl=0

I also noticed that there is a phrase, said by Rod, that's just "Feel the power"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7rtw1n9t3nxocy/Feel%20the%20power.ogg?dl=0

How that could not be used... Do you agree that putting that phrase during the powerfield, or just when lighting the "Battle the power" on piano/slot, would be awesome? And, wouldn't be awesome too if the piano fanfare 2 could be used during the piano animation when activating LITZ (Different fanfare for wizard mode)?

Do you know if is trivial to mod the game ROM to do this?

Cheers,
Alby87

#2 8 years ago

It would not be trivial, UNLESS -

You are simply going to replace one existing sound-call with another. (Example - want to hear the unused piano? Find the call to the original panel, and put in the new address.) However, adding a sound-call where was none (like when it awards 'Battle The Power', etc) would be a lot more difficult.

#3 8 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the response.

Yes, I know that changing just the sound call address in HEX would be OK, I tough of that and the PinHack tutorial confirmed my idea. The question was about adding the quote and the music, remembering that someone did miracles on LAH and JP, I just asked if it seems difficult as it seems to me, that I'm not in the disassembling/hacking world.

For the quote, I think that there is a code that is called for every panel after is decided what award will be awarded (if you have computer programming background, is a case...switch). If we got the address of the function of the "Battle the Power" panel, we could add it here,

OR

if we want to hear it during the power battle, we could it to the pool of the random pain sound of the Power (instead of selecting from three voices, there would be four).

For the Piano Fanfare, is like adding an IF statement: if the next award is LITZ (could be checked on Door Handle Lamp if there isn't a variable for it), play Fanfare 2, else, the Fanfare 1.

Having the source code would be a breeze, but only the HEX compiled? That was my concern

Alby

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Alby87:

Hi! Thanks for the response.
Yes, I know that changing just the sound call address in HEX would be OK, I tough of that and the PinHack tutorial confirmed my idea. The question was about adding the quote and the music, remembering that someone did miracles on LAH and JP, I just asked if it seems difficult as it seems to me, that I'm not in the disassembling/hacking world.
For the quote, I think that there is a code that is called for every panel after is decided what award will be awarded (if you have computer programming background, is a case...switch). If we got the address of the function of the "Battle the Power" panel, we could add it here,
OR
if we want to hear it during the power battle, we could it to the pool of the random pain sound of the Power (instead of selecting from three voices, there would be four).
For the Piano Fanfare, is like adding an IF statement: if the next award is LITZ (could be checked on Door Handle Lamp if there isn't a variable for it), play Fanfare 2, else, the Fanfare 1.
Having the source code would be a breeze, but only the HEX compiled? That was my concern
Alby

Yeah, you would need some serious work there then - would need to find the original locations in memory, add calls and reference saved (or status of) last states, etc.

I don't have a copy of the original - is the unused piano the same *length in time* as the one that's used?

#5 8 years ago

It's like 1 second longer. The new fanfare was used to shortening stop time inside the piano. I tought that used for LITZ, we could just drop the first explosion sound to let the music from piano complete, before the Rod introduction (End of the journey)

If you notice, there are a lot of unused sound bits, and many are like some mode music reprise. If you think of TAF, do you remember the sound cues during the bonus count (Raise the dead, Mamushka and Cousin IT)? TZ was created with that in mind, but they dropped for the TUMP-TUMP during the bonus count, also to shorten time. You can hear Greed, Super Slot, Clock Millions, Clock Chaos sound bites on PinMame test.

I like to go deep on pinball history!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Alby87:

It's like 1 second longer. The new fanfare was used to shortening stop time inside the piano. I tought that used for LITZ, we could just drop the first explosion sound to let the music from piano complete, before the Rod introduction (End of the journey)
If you notice, there are a lot of unused sound bits, and many are like some mode music reprise. If you think of TAF, do you remember the sound cues during the bonus count (Raise the dead, Mamushka and Cousin IT)? TZ was created with that in mind, but they dropped for the TUMP-TUMP during the bonus count, also to shorten time. You can hear Greed, Super Slot, Clock Millions, Clock Chaos sound bites on PinMame test.
I like to go deep on pinball history!

I used to have a website up that listed all the un-used sounds from CV and SC, and unused animations/bitmaps from SC. And, for example, I know that in the 9.4H code, the magnet tossing code is still there, it's just permanently 'if'd out so it's never called.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

And, for example, I know that in the 9.4H code, the magnet tossing code is still there, it's just permanently 'if'd out so it's never called

You mean like this?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

You mean like this?
» YouTube video

Kind of - same thing, just different directions.
Originally, with three magnets, when starting multiball the game would toss out a ball from lock, the bottom right magnet would catch it, then 'toss' it to the left magnet. Then the next ball would come out of lock and be tossed up to the upper right magnet. (Or, shot up and caught by the magnet, if ball is coming from the trough.) And then the third ball, etc.

When Ted re-instated the catching from the autofire kicker in 9.4H, the original tossing code was still in place. In beta versions of the ROM there was a way to 'trick' the game into tossing the balls. In 9.4H, Ted locked that down after I brought it to his attention.

#9 8 years ago

Sirs,

you had my curiosity but now you have my attention. THIS would be a reason to drill the third magnet. To be honest, I prefer my TZ on 5-BALL preset, that kills the third magnet effect (2 ball in lock is too much for the third magnet show), but that "toss it" effect could start the magnet show regardless of the configuration.

That FreeWPC video just fired my imagination... just think new modes that could done with that, like a 'mist' like multiball, with an hurryup to save a "man" that's captured by the spiral and you have to free him!

Or, better!

You have a ball going back and forth, waiting only 2 sec on the magnet before being tossed. You have the "fast look" music, without the radio static/other pinball quotes. When a ball is sitting on a magnet, one of the 4 unused bonus sound cues could be used, and if you knock it during that time you can play a "mini-mode" 2 ball multiball with a focus on a particular target. The unused sound cues are Town Square Madness, Clock Millions, Powerball Mania, Greed, so the two balls multiball could be

- Town Square Multiball (bumpers adds to the jackpot, dead end is jackpot)
- Greed Multiball (three random greed target are lit, get them for jackpot)
- Power Mania Multiball (not *Powerball* Mania) (try keep the ball on the powerfield for 20 seconds, without going on the exit or the top. Jackpot is accomplishing this)
- Clock Millions Multiball (Clock start at midnight. Every shot to the clock millions target moves the clock on an hour (or half an hour, if you think that 12 shots are too easy). Reach midnight again for jackpot)

Now that little request is like having a 2.0H for CV, (annoyed grunt)

#10 8 years ago

The big problem is that there's too much variance in the manufacturing of the table (ie where the opto is and where the magnet is) to make the code 'bullet proof' enough to work on every table. It's the reason why it was left out of the WMS software.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

The big problem is that there's too much variance in the manufacturing of the table (ie where the opto is and where the magnet is) to make the code 'bullet proof' enough to work on every table. It's the reason why it was left out of the WMS software.

You speak about the code for magnet toss? That's bad, but I could accept it.

However, that idea about the hurry-up with 2 ball multiballs, more I tough it, more I like it. You could not make the ball wait for long time on a magnet (heat and other problems), but a good target to hit to end an hurryup would be the power payoff target. They were underutilized in the original table. Make the hurry-up start at the fifth camera award and end with power payoff target, then start this 2 ball - multiball.

I'm going too far in my fantasies now

#12 8 years ago

Yup. That's why it www left out. It worked beautifully on my game, but I could see another game, with a different slope or dirtier causing issues.

For what you're describing, Alby, you would need to switch platforms (like using P3 or such) like they did on that video linked above.

#13 8 years ago

Yes, at this time I'm recognizing I'm going to far. I know that some project, like Cactus Canyon Continued, just rewrite a unfinished code, but TZ is working too good to rewrite it from scratch

Too bad that the whole assets (like tape recordings of original sound, code and compilers, cad files) from Williams are unreachable for common people PP has a big treasure in their archives!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Alby, you would need to switch platforms (like using P3 or such) like they did on that video linked above.

No need to switch platforms or buy hardware, the video was recorded on all WPC hardware, albeit with a FreeWPC EPROM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-voices-on-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.