(Topic ID: 89272)

Changing the point value of shots or features in EM games?

By Winball_Pizard

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I'm about to get my first EM Mars Trek! I don't even have it in my possession yet but, I've been going over some pinball ninja vids and info to get more acquainted with EM repairs. I don't think I will have to do much beyond some cleaning and asjusting.

I've played Mars Trek a handful of times and its almost the Black Knight 2000 of EM games, you want to shoot the left orbit with the right flipper always. I believe the star rollover advances bonus by 10k and the saucer at the top advances by another 10k. There's a really cool horseshoe with double spinners on the right but its dangerous to shoot and only worth 100/1000*I think when lit* a spin compared to 10k for one star rollover. So the scoring is a tad unbalanced.

So what I'm wondering is would it be possible to change the point value. Its a tad early to be worried about this since I've never owned an EM or worked on one but, it seems a lot easier than recompiling assembly languages from a system 7 rom which to me is essentially impossible. Has anyone done something like this? I couldn't find any similar threads when I searched.

#2 9 years ago

The difference is: You can only roll over the star roll over once per shot (unless it misses the gate flap and rolls back over it). The spinner shot is a Spinner. Spinners normally turn many times, possibly more than 10 turns. So, in reality, if you shoot the lit spinner with a good straight shot, you may stand to get more than 10K. And if your bonus is maxed out, then the star roll over and saucer may have little value to keep shooting them.

As to modifying, why would you want to when the playfield is screened with the values? Changing the value could be as simple as moving a single wire (like from 1000 point relay feed to 10,000 point relay feed).

Fortunately, Mars Trek has 6 digit scoring so it may be a bit difficult to roll it over as compared to a 5 digit game with a light up 100,000 lamp.

Spinners can really rack up great scores even when they are only worth 1000 when lit. Games like Wizard, Aztec, and Amigo are pretty much a one trick pony when you get the spinners lit (Assuming the games are properly dialed in.

#3 9 years ago

On the subject of modification (and lack of playfield labeling). Growing up, Jungle and Wild Life were very popular and common games. In the Active West Bowling centers, someone decided to modify them so the center spinner (normally scores 10 points and indicated on the instruction card, not the playfield) instead advance the bonus and therefore scored 100 points. Instead of shooting for the star roll overs, we were shooting for the spinner all the time. Perhaps the modifier was a Genius! as it was very common for a ball, coming out of the spinner/bumper area to go SDTM more often than not (ten large playfield inserts down the middle seemed to cause some playfield warpage). Especially if you hadn't mastered the alternate flip save. So, it was probably reducing play times even though it may have been increasing scores overall (the same games had higher replay thresholds).

In another game center on another Jungle, someone had added a "Instrument panel lamp" to the score Card holder that said 5X Bonus which lit on the last ball (normally double bonus). I wonder where THAT game ended up and if the mod is still there?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Perhaps the modifier was a Genius! as it was very common for a ball, coming out of the spinner/bumper area to go SDTM more often than not (ten large playfield inserts down the middle seemed to cause some playfield warpage). Especially if you hadn't mastered the alternate flip save. So, it was probably reducing play times even though it may have been increasing scores overall (the same games had higher replay thresholds).

This basically describes the spinner on mars trek. Im familiar with Wild Life though and I would almost consider it to be worse but, similar situation. Another example would be spelling Mars Trek which awards a special. If you are playing against someone in a tournament setting a special means nothing. If it awarded several 100k you might be more likely to go after a few missing letters.

Sounds like it might be as simple as swapping a wire to a different relay though huh? Cool!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Another example would be spelling Mars Trek which awards a special. If you are playing against someone in a tournament setting a special means nothing. If it awarded several 100k you might be more likely to go after a few missing letters.

This gets mentioned a lot. I don't play in tournaments these days. Isn't it normal for the tournament to establish a "Value" to ever special earned by the player? Like 50,000 or something like that. Obviously, a special IS an integral part of playing on an EM and early SS game. Maybe not so much on today's newer games with Wizard Modes etc. Tournaments should be awarding a set score value for each special earned. But, I guess it might be hard to keep track on a multi-player EM as to who's the replays are at the end. Not very hard on a single player, just clear them off before each player starts his/her game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-the-point-value-of-shots-or-features-in-em-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.