9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by super8man
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sea_Wolf.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Does anyone find themselves being drawn to the darkside: Arcade games? While I only have one, Crystal Castles, it really is a BIG change from owning three pinball machines. I love them all and if I had time, money, and space I would have a huge arcade of pins, video games, etc.

Having said that, arcade video games are so easy in some respects it really does throw me for a loop jumping back on a pinball machine. It's just "so physical" and I still get a huge dopamine release from video games like when they were new.

Anyone else have thoughts on whether they feel the draw towards video arcade games for whatever reason?

Oh, and I really need to add a cocktail game - just because!

Cheers,
    Mike

#2 9 years ago

I still want to make up a nice MAME cabinet for arcade games. I have most all of the ROMS I think. Anyone have more than 8,767 ?

I would like to make one that can covert between upright and cocktail but I've never seen it done so am at a loss on design atm.

#3 9 years ago

I'd like to find just one gun game from the 70s
    maybe even a submarine type

#4 9 years ago

Geez super8, when you said "changing teams", I was a bit worried

I hope to have a coctail Centipede or something someday too!

#5 9 years ago

Does anyone have a large set of MAME audio samples ? I have a few hundred but that is it. They add a little more to some of the games than what's built into the ROM.

#6 9 years ago

Sorry for the "bloggy-attention-getting-headline" - I was thinking along the lines of "Team EM" as they use on RGP for electromechanical pins, etc. My bad.

#7 9 years ago

lol sorry man, just kiddin'! I knew what ya meant.

I think a few EMs would be a nice addition to any pinball collection that is primarily SS. I have a few classics on my EM short-list that would be picked up if condition and price was right.
    If I personally picked up an arcade game or two, I'd probably stay within the years i was hanging around the arcades like the early eighties games. Thankfully, some of the greats were around at that time!

#8 9 years ago

I have a friend that did just the opposite - had 20+ arcades and sold them all off for pins, I think the physical play of pinball and no two games are ever played the same is a big attention holder. I have a DK jr arcade which I love - but it rarely gets turned on, but it looks awesome. There are a few arades I want to have just because They were great back in the day - Gauntlet - 4player, star wars vector, discs of tron.

BD - this same guy has 1000's of mame rom games I may be able to get you a few DVDS filled PM me

#9 9 years ago

Someone here is selling a whole bunch of arcade machines. One of his ads:

fortwayne.craigslist.org link

I like the idea of one MAME machine that can plays thousands of different ones at a whim.

Thanks for the offer fusion301 .. I have over 8700 MAME game ROMS now and 175 audio sample files. I have no idea how many samples are out there. Those are what I need if there are more.

#10 9 years ago

I would love a MAME machine, but the wife said I would have to lose a pin to get one. Not sure if I can stomach that.

#11 9 years ago

Originally posted by Autumnfade:

"I'd like to find just one gun game from the 70s, maybe even a submarine type ..."

Sea Wolf was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid:

Sea_Wolf.jpg

#12 9 years ago

There were two types of kids back then: Those that loved Sea Wolf/Battlezone games, and everyone else! I loved those old arcade units. I still recall seeing them in the local department stores next to the banks of gumball machines.

#13 9 years ago

I think a couple of well chosen arcade machines would enhance the game room ambiance. Preferably, they would be classics, and in excellent condition. Perhaps something like Asteroids and Donkey Kong. I don't follow pricing on this stuff, but I'm guessing that Donkey Kong prices have skyrocketed since "The King of Kong" came out.

I have always been compelled by the whole MAME thing. My friend has a really nice one that he almost never plays. I'd offer to buy it from him, but he lives nearly 2,000 miles away. It would be really cool to be able to play any game from my childhood instantly.

#14 9 years ago

I loved vidoe games as a kid but there are only a few video arcade machines I would like to own. They are head to head games like Joust or Super Off-Road. Otherwise, they are too repetetive, which is why I like pinball.

I used to play the crap out of Seawolf when I was a wee lad.

#15 9 years ago

I did the whole arcade cab thing. Had tons of classics Tempest, Centipede, Frogger, Gyruss, Moon Patrol etc... Couldn't justify keeping the square footage for games i'd play for maybe 10 minutes a week. There are very few vids if any that hold the same replay value a pinball machine can.

I have one cabinet left, a small japanese Neo Geo.

#16 9 years ago

oh man Battlezone how could have I forgotten that game
    never knew how deep you could go into the battlefield - what was at the end?

#17 9 years ago

My first love was Video games. I had a 4 player Golden Axe II : Revenge of Death Adder machine in house for a few years. Not much replay value on most game machines.

I don't think I will ever buy another, as we have (3)Xbox 360s, Wii, and a Modded Xbox with emulators that literally has about EVERY SINGLE arcade game, Atari, Genesis, Nintendo, SNES,Colecovision, & Turbo Grafx 16 game in it, along with dozens of PS1, Neo Geo, Nintendo 64 titles as well.

#18 9 years ago

If you want me to email you Battlezone and a few others (classics) of the MAME emulator just ask Autumnfade.

#19 9 years ago

I sold some of my pins awhile ago and picked up a shuffle bowling game ( the old flash game) and an Legends arcade video game that has about 250 games on it including donkey kong and asteroids. The kids play these two the most when they are in the arcade room and pretty much leave the pins alone. I missed the pins and just restarted buying them in the last 6 months ( picking up SM, LOTR, Getaway, Whodunnit, and Tommy). I have owned a few EM's and just sold a pretty nice Grand Prix. I would love to find a nice Bow and Arrow EM as it was the first pin that I owned.

I think the mod and LED craze is increasing the interest in the hobby as you can impact your collection with out shelling out the bucks for a new game and have to fight for more space with the wife.

#20 9 years ago

Favourites were Galaga, Galaxians, Space Invaders, Pacman, Asteroids and Space Harrier.

#21 9 years ago

I just can't get into video arcade games. I like the randomness and physical aspect of pinball (i.e. the ball, not just things on a screen). The only way I can see myself owning a video arcade game is for nostalgia and because it wouldn't take up space that could be occupied by a pinball machine.

#22 9 years ago

I think the beauty of arcade goes very well with pinball. They are both boxes full of lamps that could keep me busy as a kid for hours on end, even if I didn't have any quarters left! Althoug my love is definitely with pinball because of the randomness of the silver ball, I sometimes like watching arcade for nostalic reasons. My favourite games are Pacman, Track n Field, Galaga and Donkey Kong.

But what's great about arcade is that you can have one cabinet with all the games in it! That doesn't take up much space at all! Granted, having the orginal Galaga or Pacman cabinet is very cool, but MAME is a perfect excuse if you don't have so much space in your gameroom.

So Is arcade the "dark side"? No. But don't forget that theres only one silver ball to rule em all!

#23 9 years ago

What I do find is that I can coax my kids into a bit of playtime on the new video game and then, just maybe, they ask to play me a game of pinball. I like both aspects. I really like the smaller footprint of the arcade game and the fact that the graphics are on an original monitor, etc.

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5335863609_a07148a05f.jpg[/img]

Edit - fail post!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 229.99
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside