Changing Sinbad sound

By Doggy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

How do you go about changing Gottliebs Sinbad sound ?
The machine has a chime box, which makes the machine sound like a EM.
I want to know how to install a tone card. Is there anyone who had done this ?
Is there a article somewhere on how to do this?

#2 7 years ago

Probably.

You should find another Gottlieb owner who wants to do the reverse, and trade their tone card foe your chime box.

#3 7 years ago

Or, you can get a Pascal 4 in 1 board which has the tone section built in. I think you would just have to add the speaker.

#4 7 years ago

There are some Sinbad videos on YouTube (some with original chimes, some with beeps and blips). I am really on the fence as to which sounds better... The beeps and blips definitely seem more exciting / urgent. Still, I would probably keep the chime assembly for resale value or maybe when you want to switch back to a more relaxing sound.

#5 7 years ago

Oh man... the chimes are part of the charm of Sinbad. Leave them alone!

#6 7 years ago

It's a fairly simple swap. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone to trade a chimebox for a sound board, most want to have a chimebox in the game. I love my Sinbad with the chimes, not sure if I would like it with electronic sound.

#7 7 years ago

I wouldn't sell/trade the chimes unit I just want to switch it out for home play,
The tone card has volume control and the chimes although sound great, is too
loud for my home for late night play. If I were to sell the machine, I would change it
Back to original.. So with that said, does anyone know where to find the step by step
Instructions on the switch? I know I gotta install a speaker and I believe the knocker is involved..

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Doggy:

I wouldn't sell/trade the chimes unit I just want to switch it out for home play,
The tone card has volume control and the chimes although sound great, is too
loud for my home for late night play. If I were to sell the machine, I would change it
Back to original.. So with that said, does anyone know where to find the step by step
Instructions on the switch? I know I gotta install a speaker and I believe the knocker is involved..

I just got a Joker Poker where they installed the sound card next to the chime box. I am going to be removing it shortly. No idea if it works or not (i am assuming it does), but you can have it if you want it.

As far as night play goes, I am in the same boat, I have three young kids and a fairly small house. I simply put a towel on the bars when I want to play at night... Short, but kinda funky sounding tones. The flipper mechs are louder than the chime bars when a towel is on them.

#9 7 years ago

Good idea with the towel, I had unplugged the sound but it's just not the same..
I would be interested in the sound card if you are not in need of it. Thank you so much,
PM sent..

#10 7 years ago

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but those 3-tone boards Gottlieb used sound terrible. Chimes are 999x better, imho.

Even the upgraded multi mode sound boards are pretty lackluster. Food for thought.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but those 3-tone boards Gottlieb used sound terrible. Chimes are 999x better, imho.
Even the upgraded multi mode sound boards are pretty lackluster. Food for thought.

Yeah, but I get where he is coming from. I would rather have a little bit of controlled sound and be able to play, rather than a game I can't play at night at all because it is too loud for the family.

I am sending him the sound card from my Joker Poker, for the price, it is worth a try....

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would rather have a little bit of controlled sound and be able to play, rather than a game I can't play at night at all because it is too loud for the family.

Pack a couple towels on top of the chime bars and/or tighten the nuts on the bars.

#13 7 years ago

Instead of cutting and splicing the wires I decided to make it clean looking. I am going to make it "plug and play".
I'll leave the chime box with the plug intact.(this way if I want to hear the original chimes I just got to plug it in) And make another plug with the edge connector on the other end to plug into the tone card. I just got to add an additional knocker wire to the new harness along with the speaker wires and I think it should work. I ordered 18 gauge wires with correct colors (well close enough). I'll post pictures when I'm done.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Doggy:

Instead of cutting and splicing the wires I decided to make it clean looking. I am going to make it "plug and play".
I'll leave the chime box with the plug intact.(this way if I want to hear the original chimes I just got to plug it in) And make another plug with the edge connector on the other end to plug into the tone card. I just got to add an additional knocker wire to the new harness along with the speaker wires and I think it should work. I ordered 18 gauge wires with correct colors (well close enough). I'll post pictures when I'm done.

when i send you this card, the harness you are describing is already with it....

now, i just need to send it to you.... i am digging into my joker poker tonight, you should have a package this week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-sinbad-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.