Changing shooter spring

By Fezmid

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't own any pins since I have to ask what seem to be very basic questions, but... I guess that's how you learn, right?

My IMDN has a green spring, and I've read they now have orange springs - which makes sense, as I can't get all the way around the loop. So I bought a bunch of springs last week and want to replace it now... But I'm not sure how. I THINK I have to remove the rubber tip from the shooter, and then there's a little lock thing that I have to somehow take off. But the rubber doesn't seem to come off easily, and I don't know how to take off the lock thing -- so before I go in and accidentally break something, I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers. Do I just take some pliers and pull the rubber tip off? Lots of elbow grease? Something else? And how do I remove the semi-circular lock piece?

Thanks for any help, as always, I appreciate the assistance!

#2 5 years ago

Rubber tip pulls off. Or slide a thin screw driver in the end opposite the tip and do the lift wiggle off.

C clip or E clip, pop off with a small screw driver. Fat fingers or pliers to stick back on.

Clip with holes in the end. You need a pliers like contraption with pins on the end to widen it and remove. Then throw away and stick a C clip on.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, will try it out and see what happens!

#4 5 years ago

Changed the spring out today without any issues -- thanks for the help, Lloyd! One note for others who might find this thread later -- once you remove the E Clip (I never knew that's what they were called!), the spring and a washer that's on the end will FLY out. I didn't realize the spring was that compressed, but it is. Whooops!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

once you remove the E Clip (I never knew that's what they were called!), the spring and a washer that's on the end will FLY out.

That's half the fun.

Quoted from Fezmid:

I didn't realize the spring was that compressed,

Now you know. Pull them back first to figure what can happen. Then remove the clip.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That's half the fun.

Now you know. Pull them back first to figure what can happen. Then remove the clip.

Yup - I realized after the fact that I replaced the green with a red.... So I had to go back and replace red with orange - but extra practice is good, right?

#7 5 years ago

Better sell your pins!!!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Better sell your pins!!!

Yeah, or just give 'em away to avoid all the stress!

#9 5 years ago

Now that that maintenance item is under your belt, what is next? LEDs in the T2? A flipper rebuild? Or???

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Now that that maintenance item is under your belt, what is next? LEDs in the T2? A flipper rebuild? Or???

I already have LEDs in the T2 (came that way), and I rebuilt the flippers on it back in October or so -- that was stressful, but I made it through! I also added a shaker to the IMDN last weekend (that was easier than I expected).

Honestly, the only thing I have left (right now anyway), is to add a Cyborg Eddie figure to my IMDN Pro, replacing the flat plastic Eddie with the molded sculpture.

#11 5 years ago

I usually use my crotch to push on the plunger while I take the clip off. It looks very strange if you're doing in front of someone, but thats all the more reason to do it.

This takes some tension off the spring, washer, and E-clip, making it much easier to remove. Also helps keeps small parts from flying across the room.

While you're in there, remember to change the sleeve, and inspect the barrel spring.

Shooter rods are adjustable (lots of people don't know this), so make sure it is centered on the ball when in the resting position. Not high, low or to either side of the ball. Any of the above and it'll put a nasty spin on the ball losing lots of energy as it travels across the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
6,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-shooter-spring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.