Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by peterb123
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5476 (resized).JPG
    20190430_180311 (resized).jpg
    20190430_180324 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    button-wrench-for-led-buttons (resized).jpg
    takemymoney (resized).jpg
    Flipper Button Tool (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

I have changed a lot of flipper buttons but it's always been a pain. Does anyone have a trick to getting that nut off the back of the flipper button?

#2 6 years ago

I just use needle nose plyers.

#3 6 years ago

adjustable 'crescent' wrench, or slip joint pliers to get it loose, then remove by hand.

#4 6 years ago

Do you have a push button wrench tool?

#5 6 years ago

Needle nose pliers on the inside lip of the nut and then with both hands apply force outward and turn.

#6 6 years ago

I have tried the needle nose, perhaps I need smaller ones. On all my other machines I was able to do it but on the new Stern cabinets it seems to have it sunk a bit more into the wood.

#7 6 years ago

Needle nose vice grips. Once the nut is loose simply remove by hand.

#8 6 years ago

Buy a socket? That's what I did. It's way stronger than needed, but makes the job quick and easy.

Don C.

#9 6 years ago

I saw this early today and couldn't shake the idea of coming up with a tool, so designed a dual purpose tool for removing and tightening flipper button nuts. It clears the flipper button shaft and locates on the inside of the nut so doesn't matter about the lack of clearance on the outside of the nut. It is hollow enough to suit the short and long shafted flipper / arcade buttons.

The other advantage of this tool is that it is also a second option handle for my stainless IDC wire insertion tool

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksidc

Flipper Button Tool (resized).pngFlipper Button Tool (resized).png

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

also a second option handle for my stainless IDC wire insertion tool

.100 tool please.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

.100 tool please.

yes, thanks for the reminder of making the other end of the wire inserter a 0.100 - I will get on to this

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

yes, thanks for the reminder of making the other end of the wire inserter a 0.100 - I will get on to this

takemymoney (resized).jpgtakemymoney (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Believe it or not, try to spin it off just by using your hand. Last several sets of flipper buttons on newer Stern games I replaced just by turning that nut with my fingers. That nut really isn't on that tight.

#14 6 years ago

GRUMPY & stumptown

I designed a second wire insertion piece that is double ended with the proven 0.156 at one end and the smaller 0.100 at the other. I measured off a new non used pinball life 0.100 tool and this piece will fit both handles.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksidc

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I designed a second wire insertion piece that is double ended with the proven 0.156 at one end and the smaller 0.100 at the other.

Very clever, thank you swinks!!!

#16 6 years ago

Does nobody have one of these?

button-wrench-for-led-buttons (resized).jpgbutton-wrench-for-led-buttons (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does nobody have one of these?

Where did you get it?

#18 6 years ago

Tornado Terry’s. ^^^^ He used to give them with a purchase of buttons. 100% Happ products. I got one years ago when I did an order for arcade buttons.

#19 6 years ago

Ray on GRC's Youtube series 'Ray's Tech Tips' (required viewing) recommends a set of duckbill pliers to grab one flange instead of trying to span the whole nut.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYI9QCS/ref=asc_df_B01HYI9QCS5406721/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Where did you get it?

A bunch of places sell them. Just search for arcade push button wrench tool

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A bunch of places sell them. Just search for arcade push button wrench tool

Thank you.

1 year later
    #22 4 years ago

Where do I get the little white tips for my flipper buttons.

20190430_180311 (resized).jpg20190430_180311 (resized).jpg20190430_180324 (resized).jpg20190430_180324 (resized).jpg
    4 years later
    #23 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Where do I get the little white tips for my flipper buttons. [quoted image][quoted image]

Same question! Couldn't find an answer, does anyone know? Mine is broken on one side and makes the flipper stick..

IMG_5476 (resized).JPGIMG_5476 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-out-flipper-buttons?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.