View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Browser_Text_Changes_(resized).jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Since I think there will be a lot of interest in the topic I am starting a dedicated thread for discussion of modifying the sounds and songs in KISS. I am interested in hearing others ideas about what should be changed and how to make it work.

#2 8 years ago

The majority of owners, if they elect to change the songs, will likely opt for the older, non-remastered versions of the same songs. Some folks may change out songs altogether, but the DMD animations are kind of tied to that specific song.

I'm going to change as many as possible as long as the length is the same. After a quick review, it's maybe 50%. I'll also change Dr. Love to God of Thunder and change the match sequence song.

Hopefully will update by this weekend, so I'll report back.

#3 8 years ago

How hard is this to do?...I would love to change Dr.Love to Firehouse.

Whoo, hoo, yeah!!

#4 8 years ago

Would anyone whose actually swapped out songs on KISS be interested in posting a short tutorial? For those like myself who aren't as tech saavy as alot of Pinsiders. I'm nervous I'll screw my machine up. Is it possible to go back to the default songs if you ever wanted to? Are you able to have the dmd display newly added song titles? I'd like to replace 8 songs with the original recordings and 2 with different songs altogether. Thanks to anyone who contributes to this thread.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Kazowi:

How hard is this to do?...I would love to change Dr.Love to Firehouse.
Whoo, hoo, yeah!!

I dont think it is difficult. There are not many tutorials out there (at least that I have been able to find.) I do know that some of the information in them does not apply to KISS. The KISS music is stereo. The tutorials say change your music to mono.

One challenge is that the song you replace and the song you replace it with need to be as close as possible to the same length. I am going to start looking tonight and will start documenting ones that work from this standpoint.

#7 8 years ago

I think the rate number is different for KISS and it is stereo rather than mono. Otherwise that is helpful.

#8 8 years ago

Does pinball browser even work on spike? There was another thread about the spike system file layout.

#9 8 years ago

Here is a youtube video that illustrates the general concept.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Does pinball browser even work on spike? There was another thread about the spike system file layout.

Version 5 which has only been out a few days does.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Would anyone whose actually swapped out songs on KISS be interested in posting a short tutorial? For those like myself who aren't as tech saavy as alot of Pinsiders. I'm nervous I'll screw my machine up. Is it possible to go back to the default songs if you ever wanted to? Are you able to have the dmd display newly added song titles? I'd like to replace 8 songs with the original recordings and 2 with different songs altogether. Thanks to anyone who contributes to this thread.

You can't really mess it up. You just would reload the stock firmware.

Yes you can change the song titles.

#12 8 years ago

Time to get She's So European, A World Without Heroes, and Ugh! All Night on the game!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from colonelsnow:

You can't really mess it up. You just would reload the stock firmware.
Yes you can change the song titles.

Cool! Sounds like you'd have to swap the songs everytime there is a code update. Btw KISS' Smashes Thrashes & Hits has 8 of the 10 songs needed to do an originals version song swap. They were remastered in '86/'87 and would work perfect I think.

#14 8 years ago

Can you only change songs out for another? Or can you add new songs? Adding Heaven's on Fire using the Hotter than Hell animations would be pretty cool.

#15 8 years ago

Attempt #1.

I updated each song with the original recording except Detroit Rock City & Rock And Roll All Nite (both songs were either too short or too long).

I replaced Dr. Love with 100,000 Years and Hotter Than Hell with Strutter. Both of those songs were the same length within a few seconds.

I'll experiment more based on the results. I didn't change any callouts.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 8 years ago

I am working on a list of the songs that come stock along with their length. (The length is minutes.seconds.milliseconds

Black Diamond 4.18.406
Dr Love 3.23.951
Detroit Rock City 3.56.000
Deuce 3.05.789
Hotter Than Hell 3.08.770
Lick It Up 3.59.000
Love Gun 3.13.101
Love It Loud 4.07.470
Rock N Roll All Nite 2.48.000
Shout It Out Loud 2.53.000

#18 8 years ago

That is so awsome! That song needs to be on the game.

So in essence, if you want to change them all, it really won't change the gameplay too much will it besides the call outs?

#19 8 years ago

Game play will be better

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That is so awsome! That song needs to be on the game.
So in essence, if you want to change them all, it really won't change the gameplay too much will it besides the call outs?

The game doesn't change at all except for the songs. I haven't taken a look at alternate callouts, and the code is still too early anyway to make much of an effort.

#21 8 years ago

What versions are you using and how's the sound quality?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from colonelsnow:

I do know that some of the information in them does not apply to KISS. The KISS music is stereo

Quoted from colonelsnow:

I think the rate number is different for KISS and it is stereo rather than mono. Otherwise that is helpful

You can let Pinball Browser deal with this : Pinball Browser will convert your file to the correct rate number and stereo will be used whenever possible.

#23 8 years ago

I don't wanna change the songs, I like them the way they are, very good quality too.
The city's text and callout would be fun to change though, could change it to my own city (eh... farmers village)

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You can let Pinball Browser deal with this : Pinball Browser will convert your file to the correct rate number and stereo will be used whenever possible.

Thanks. I registered last night and appeciate the added features.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

I don't wanna change the songs, I like them the way they are, very good quality too.
The city's text and callout would be fun to change though, could change it to my own city (eh... farmers village)

Ya it is fun when you live in the Detroit metro area,amh also calls out michigan in one of the modes

#26 8 years ago

I understand if you upload a song that is shorter in length than the original there will be a gap in the music. But will all other sound effects still work?

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

I gotta agree. I listened to the original black diamond and its such a bad quality recording. The fullness just isnt there and the vocals arent as good. I think we will keep ours the same.

#28 8 years ago

I understand if you upload a song that is shorter in length than the original there will be a gap in the music. But will all other sound effects still work?

Yes they will. You might look at Single vs Album versions as appropriate to help with length.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from colonelsnow:

Yes they will. You might look at Single vs Album versions as appropriate to help with length.

I will thank you. What's a good target range to shoot for? +/- 1 to 5 sec?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from colonelsnow:

Thanks. I registered last night and appeciate the added features.

How do you register??? by donating via paypal?? do you get a license code after you donate????

#31 8 years ago

Cool! Sounds like you'd have to swap the songs everytime there is a code update. Btw KISS' Smashes Thrashes & Hits has 8 of the 10 songs needed to do an originals version song swap. They were remastered in '86/'87 and would work perfect I think.

If you save the changes you made through the Macro tab you can open the macro when the firmware updates and run it to make all of your previous changes for you again.

#32 8 years ago

I like the remakes better and I was a big fan back in the day and was at the one of the Cobo hall shows they recorded kiss alive at,I believe it was a few nights they recorded for the album,the new stuff sounds great and this pin is the first I have heard of these remakes

#33 8 years ago

I've had a few pm's about Kiss code with the original tracks. I'm still tweaking a few settings but I'll link to Dropbox in a few days.

1 month later
#34 8 years ago

Just got my Premium the other day and wanna give this a shot.... I'm going to try to get this to work on a Mac, if not I have a old windows laptop to fall back on. Were hosting Thanksgiving and I bet no-one but us 40 years and older will even notice if I replace a couple of Kiss songs with other older Rock songs.

5 months later
#35 7 years ago

Looking forward to the new mix! A friend of mine hates the music selection Stern used.

3 weeks later
#36 7 years ago
Quoted from colonelsnow:

I am working on a list of the songs that come stock along with their length. (The length is minutes.seconds.milliseconds
Black Diamond 4.18.406
Dr Love 3.23.951
Detroit Rock City 3.56.000
Deuce 3.05.789
Hotter Than Hell 3.08.770
Lick It Up 3.59.000
Love Gun 3.13.101
Love It Loud 4.07.470
Rock N Roll All Nite 2.48.000
Shout It Out Loud 2.53.000

Just for posterity, I'm going to list the request numbers, but also add the time for the added song for code 1.28. Hopefully this helps someone wanting to change songs in the future.

Heaven's on Fire 3.23.227

Request 32 - Deuce
Request 34 - Black Diamond
Request 35 - Calling Dr. Love
Request 36 - Detroit Rock City
Request 39 - Heaven's on Fire
Request 40 - Hotter Than Hell
Request 41 - Lick IT Up
Request 42 - Love Gun
Request 43 - Love It Loud
Request 44 - Rock n Rock All Night
Request 45 - Shout It Out Loud

Special notes about the 11 songs above:

Only 8 of the 11 can be chosen to start a game. Calling Dr. Love, Love Gun, and Heaven's on Fire cannot be chosen.

Calling Dr. Love plays during Demon MB.
Love Gun plays during Love Gun MB.
Heaven's on Fire plays during the (mini?) Wizard mode

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Just for posterity, I'm going to list the request numbers

It would be great if you could define and upload bookmarks

#38 7 years ago

My changes:

"Black Diamond" >> "I Was Made for Loving You." Had to fade out about 12 secs early.

"Calling Dr. Love" >> "God of Thunder." Had to fade out about a minute early. "God of Thunder" now plays during Demon MB.

"Heaven's on Fire" >> "New York Groove." Had to "clone" about a minute of the song at the end because "NY" was quite a bit shorter. I did this in Audacity by copying and pasting the final minute onto a new stereo track. I deleted the original fade out and picked a spot where it sounds pretty seamless. "NY" now plays during the Wizard mode.

"Lick It Up" >> "Calling Dr. Love." Now "Calling..." is a song choice. Had to "clone" about 15 seconds to the end.

"Love It Loud" >> "Strutter." Had to "clone" about a minute to the end.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It would be great if you could define and upload bookmarks

I've never done that, so let me play around and figure that out.

#40 7 years ago

I would like the idea of changing the Demon multiball to God of Thunder or War Machine, something more fitting for Gene's persona. Also, since the onscreen displays are set for the songs, I hesitate to change any of the game mode songs though there are a lot of KISS songs that I would rather listen to while playing (I don't need to hear Lick It Up or Heaven's On Fire any more in my lifetime) like Creatures Of The Night, I Want You, God Of Thunder, etc.
1) do I use Pinball Browser to put God Of Thunder in place of Calling Dr. Love but make the God Of Thunder mp3 identical length?
2) if I were to change another song mode song (ie change Lick It Up to say Makin' Love), how does one change the DMD display so there is no text of Lick It Up but rather Makin' Love?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

If I were to change another song mode song (ie change Lick It Up to say Makin' Love), how does one change the DMD display so there is no text of Lick It Up but rather Makin' Love?

You'll need to scroll through the messages and change all song titles to reflect the title you want displayed on the dmd. Using your example you'll need to change everything that says Lick It Up to Makin' Love. Aside from the song title there's usually only a couple other messages that use the same song title. Since I already had Heaven's On Fire in my song list I changed the grid multiball to Shout It Out Loud. In that case I had to change 5 total messages to reflect Shout It Out Loud. That was the most messages for one song that I had to change.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I would like the idea of changing the Demon multiball to God of Thunder or War Machine, something more fitting for Gene's persona. Also, since the onscreen displays are set for the songs, I hesitate to change any of the game mode songs though there are a lot of KISS songs that I would rather listen to while playing (I don't need to hear Lick It Up or Heaven's On Fire any more in my lifetime) like Creatures Of The Night, I Want You, God Of Thunder, etc.
1) do I use Pinball Browser to put God Of Thunder in place of Calling Dr. Love but make the God Of Thunder mp3 identical length?
2) if I were to change another song mode song (ie change Lick It Up to say Makin' Love), how does one change the DMD display so there is no text of Lick It Up but rather Makin' Love?

God of Thunder sounds great during Demon MB. Yes, replace Calling Dr. Love with God of Thunder, and edit to the same length (fade out).

Like thundergod76 said, you change all the instances of the song title, but leave any other characters alone. It seems on 5.76 (or maybe on SPIKE?), I'm not able to check the box to allow more characters if the title is longer than the original. I was able to do that with MET and an older version of the browser.

Below is a pic of changing the text. Orange circle is the messages tab for changing text. Red circle is where you can search and the arrow takes you to the next instance. Blue circle is the where you don't want to change any characters or words that are not part of the your new title. Leave the % and other symbols in place. The green shows how many times I changed "Heaven's on Fire" to "New York Groove."

Browser_Text_Changes_(resized).jpgBrowser_Text_Changes_(resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

1) So when replacing the song (in my case Calling Dr. Love with God Of Thunder), does the God of Thunder edit have to be exactly 3min23s951ms to match the Calling Dr. Love file?
2) I'm trying to save a new copy of the firmware and the small "floppy disk" save icon doesn't seem to do anything
3) I'm used the search box under messages and can't find any incident of Calling Dr. Love. I'm almost positive during Demon Multiball is says Calling Dr. Love at some point... am I mistaken?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

My changes:
"
"Calling Dr. Love" >> "God of Thunder." Had to fade out about a minute early. "God of Thunder" now plays during Demon MB.

Did you just use a volume fade at the end so it faded out to exactly 3min23s951ms?

I can't seem to figure out how to replace the track with my new, edited track using Pinball Browser. I can play Calling Dr. Love (REQUEST 35), but can't seem to find a way that you actually replace it with the new track. Do I need to use the purchased version to use the edit and save features?

#45 7 years ago

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I'm trying to save a new copy of the firmware and the small "floppy disk" save icon doesn't seem to do anything

Spikes firmware are too big to be loaded into memory. As a result, each modification you make is immediately written to the file.

The "Save" button makes every modification you made "consistent" so that the game can accept the modified firmware. This is also automatically done when you quit Pinball Browser (provided you modified something in the firmware) : you generally don't need to use the "Save" button on Spike firmwares.

If you modify a Spike firmware and your computer crashes before you quit Pinball Browser or click on "Save", the modified firmware would be rejected by the game. In this case, just open the firmware and click on "Save" to make the firmware consistent again.

#47 7 years ago

This game screams for a few musical edits. I'm looking forward to seeing a modded game.

#48 7 years ago

Is there an easy way to get the sounds from the Bally Kiss pin? Would like to play with swapping some of the original sounds into the new game.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Is there an easy way to get the sounds from the Bally Kiss pin? Would like to play with swapping some of the original sounds into the new game.

Holy s**t this is a fantastic idea! I'd love to have the classic KISS Bally "Wa wa wa wa" sounds for the orbits or something. Something tells me this wouldn't be easy though.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Did you just use a volume fade at the end so it faded out to exactly 3min23s951ms?
I can't seem to figure out how to replace the track with my new, edited track using Pinball Browser. I can play Calling Dr. Love (REQUEST 35), but can't seem to find a way that you actually replace it with the new track. Do I need to use the purchased version to use the edit and save features?

Yes, you need the purchased version. Make sure you put the token id in the notes of your donation in order to get the license key. I missed that step and had to email separately.

PM sent regarding the steps for song replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-kiss-sounds-with-pinball-browser/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.