Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130112_173326.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

Yet another thing Gottlieb did right....
    Why Williams used AA batteries instead of lithium cells is beyond me.

Why: ampacity.

CR2032: 3.0 volts w/ 240 mAh

AA: 1.5 volts w/ 2850 mAh

Even if you doubled up the CR2032s, you'd get *maybe* a month out of them. Powering the WPC RTC and the RAM wasn't easy in 1989. (Now it'd be trivial, but that's 20 years later. Sys3 doesn't have an RTC.)

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Tell that to the Rayovacs that just killed my 1$ LED flashlight that had just come out of a package last week.

ROV's are the worst I've ever dealt with. Around here, a local home improvement store, Menards, often has run those on rebate so you can get about 48 to 60 of them for $4-$5. Problem is, even unused, stored around 65 degrees, they start leaking in their packages after about 2-3 years (some as early as 1 year !), and that is usually 2 years before their expiration date. Even Menard's own 'brand', "Northtech", lasts much longer. I have some from around 2002 when they were free-after-rebate that expired in 2008 that have now just started leaking in the AAA size I rarely use (obviously).

I've had many remotes, flashlights and toys destroyed from ROV's. I only now use them in the super high drain devices where I'm forced to change them every month or so. I stick with Energizer or Duracel's elsewhere and check/change yearly as best I can.

#53 11 years ago

I noticed the Time and Date was Not Correct on BSD ,, That's usually a Good indication ..

I use Energizer , and put a Piece of Tape across the batteries w/ a date .. Each Year !!

#54 11 years ago

Just remember they ALL can and will leak.

Brand names mean little now as manufacturing is outsourced and quality control lost.

Consumers are very cost concise and quality/consistency have suffered in an effort to stay competitive.

#55 11 years ago

I just picked up 30 sunbeam branded alkaline AA batteries at Menards for only $5.00

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

Just remember they ALL can and will leak.

Exactly!

Just change them out the first of the year (or right now if you missed it), and be done with it.

You spend $$$$$ on a game, you can afford to treat it right.

#57 11 years ago

Just replaced all of mine with Lithium batteries. I use up the old ones in the kids toys.

#58 11 years ago

Yep....as mentioned earlier....just use lithium's and you don't have to bother changing them every year.

When lithium's get old and die they don't leak....they just go inert. In fact you can toss them in your regular garbage because they are inert.

Now I'm referring to the non-rechargeable lithium's here....the rechargeable kind might leak at some point.

#59 11 years ago

Battery acid can and will follow the wires to the PCB from the remote holder... I've had Duracell alkalines burst in 6 months.

If you are going to the effort of soldering in a remote holder for alkalines, why not solder in a lithium battery for a few bucks instead?

The other option which is also safer than a remote battery holder is to replace all alkalines with lithiums and have many risk free years.

#60 11 years ago

How fast would it go along the wires? I guess using a longer wire would give you more time to
    discover the problem. Like a fuse on dynamite.

#61 11 years ago

Oh great! Another battery changing thread.

#62 11 years ago

Mine was to make fun of the other battery changing threads tho!

It will take a bit of time to travel through the wires. Long time.... After years of neglect i have only had to strip wire back a few inches at worst. As long as the game is played once every few months you will notice it not storing audits before it runs through the remote battery holder leads.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changing-batteries-every-year-is-over-rated/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.