6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20130112_173326.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

But using a remote battery holder isn't.

Figure these have been installed since 97 and holding enough of a charge to store audits.

20130112_173326.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Of course it is. I change mine every five years or so.

#3 6 years ago

Meh, I recycle the batteries into my remote controls, so its not like they get wasted.

#4 6 years ago

My batteries in my digital level blew up in less than a year...don't make em like they used to

#5 6 years ago

You must have lots of remote controls.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Meh, I recycle the batteries into my remote controls, so its not like they get wasted.

Yep. I'm not taking chances anymore either.
    The Wii remotes eat all the used batteries and then some.

#7 6 years ago

Battery corrosion is underrated. There are so many things that can use the partially used double A's there is no reason to chance it.

#8 6 years ago

Wait till one of those batteries leak acid down that board and it cost you $175 to replace it . I get so many pins with battery damage its crazy . Just sayin

#9 6 years ago

The dollar store sells Panasonic carbon batteries.

They don't seem to ever leak, and a 4 pack of AAs is $1.

Change them every Jan 1st.

A guy in OH unboxed a NIB Black Knight and it still had carbon batteries in it, dead, but un-leaked.

#10 6 years ago

I change mine after every game. Get's me the high score every time! There must be an easier way, though.

#11 6 years ago

Tell that to the Rayovacs that just killed my 1$ LED flashlight that had just come out of a package last week.

#12 6 years ago

Those are probably older than that.. they expired in 97, and the dates on the packages are usually a few years after you buy them

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Of course it is. I change mine every five years or so.

same here, every 4-5 years without a problem so far...

#14 6 years ago

I think most people seem to have missed the OP's statement that you should use a remote battery holder. If your only concern is battery acid, and you are using a remote battery holder, then why change your batteries every year? Since even if the batteries do leak, it wont get on anything of importance.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

Since even if the batteries do leak, it wont get on anything of importance.

As long as you don't park the remote battery holder by anything of importance.

LTG : )

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

I think most people seem to have missed the OP's statement that you should use a remote battery holder.

Oh, in that case every 20 years is fine...

#17 6 years ago

Moral of the story is to use a remote battery holder and not changing batteries on some set schedule. I have seen new batteries leaking in the package on a store shelf.

The hold a charge forever. I have some (in a remote holder of course) that are 5 years old and still +4.5vdc.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

I think most people seem to have missed the OP's statement that you should use a remote battery holder. If your only concern is battery acid, and you are using a remote battery holder, then why change your batteries every year? Since even if the batteries do leak, it wont get on anything of importance.

Well you would still have to replace the remote battery holder?.......right.

Anyways. I still change them every year and have remote holders. Doesn't mean they won't start leaking in the a years time though. A few bucks for batteries is pretty cheap in this hobby.

#20 6 years ago

The thing is batteries leak at random it seems. Even under one year.

Remote battery holder or gamble.

#21 6 years ago

Not trying to be a smartass but why didn't you get the 3 AA Battery holder for 26 cents.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/aa-battery-holder-5.html

#22 6 years ago

I like to solder a diode across one position of all of them even if they have an on board one (do bally mpus the most which need them.

#23 6 years ago

Lithium batteries don't leak..... they just go dead after many years.

#24 6 years ago

They used to be 17 cents too. Tayda raised the price. Glad i stocked up!

#25 6 years ago

I've installed remote holders on all of my SS pins. I can NOT be trusted!

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I like to solder a diode across of all of them even if they have an on board one (do bally mpus the most which need them.

Man now your adding a few cents more in. Are you crazy? lol Just Kidding of course.

#27 6 years ago

I change every two years with Duracells. I've had Energizers die twice in less than a year so I won't buy them anymore. My digital camera takes AA's so the old ones don't go to waste.

#28 6 years ago

The timing may be overrated but unless you install remote battery holder (which is the best solution option IMO) making sure to remember to change them out before they leak over the board is pretty darn important.

#29 6 years ago

maybe I am severely misunderstanding here. But don't batteries only explode after they have been dead a while? So of you play the pins often, and you get an adjustment failure or similar, wouldn't that be an indicator to replace them?

#30 6 years ago

Yet another thing Gottlieb did right....

Why Williams used AA batteries instead of lithium cells is beyond me.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Moral of the story is to use a remote battery holder and not changing batteries on some set schedule

I would say no. The moral of the story is change your batteries PERIOD. A bunch of machines with only corrosion in the remote pack is better then on the CPU for sure, but would only be one other thing you have to add to the neverending list of crap these things require.

Why bother?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Lithium batteries don't leak..... they just go dead after many years.

Yes they do. Lithium can leak.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

maybe I am severely misunderstanding here. But don't batteries only explode after they have been dead a while? So of you play the pins often, and you get an adjustment failure or similar, wouldn't that be an indicator to replace them?

Not at all. Many of us here have had new batteries explode in the first year of use. Dead or charged it doesn't seem to matter anymore. If you see adjustment failure your e waited to long, unless you have a remote battery holder and that's how you roll.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I would say no. The moral of the story is change your batteries PERIOD. A bunch of machines with only corrosion in the remote pack is better then on the CPU for sure, but would only be one other thing you have to add to the neverending list of crap these things require.
    Why bother?

Well, as the_pin_family explains above, definitely because they can leak. Mounting a remote battery pack takes only a few minutes and can pay off. I had a set of batteries leak big time on my DE Star Trek a while back, and they were less than 12-months old. Luckily, it was just remote mounted, so it was just a switch out of a $2 battery pack.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Well, as the_pin_family explains above, definitely because they can leak. Mounting a remote battery pack takes only a few minutes and can pay off. I had a set of batteries leak big time on my DE Star Trek a while back, and they were less than 12-months old. Luckily, it was just remote mounted, so it was just a switch out of a $2 battery pack.

I was referring to after you have remote holders installed.

#36 6 years ago

It`s insurance to change them, period.. Less than a cost of a beer in most places.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Why bother?

Batteries cost more than a $0.36 holder

#38 6 years ago

I know it is a bit pricey compared to the pocket change price people are talking about for battery holders, but for ~$4 a nice memory capacitor can be purchased that will never leak. Though sadly it also forces me to play (or at least turn on my pins every few months).

#39 6 years ago

Even new alkaline batteries can leak when the diode fails and they don't like being charged.

The regular carbon batteries don't seem to mind being charged by the board.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Yes they do. Lithium can leak.

Show me one occurrence of non rechargeable lithium AA batteries leaking.

I can't find one. Not saying it's impossible just highly unlikely.

#41 6 years ago

I think I'm going to change mine right now!!

#42 6 years ago

Wow! Tayda is awesome... Certainly beats the $6 that everyone else seems to have for remote holders.

The problem is that I don't need $5 worth of battery holders.

Can anyone suggest a shopping list of things that I might want to order to have on hand? I currently have 4 machines.

Thanks!

#43 6 years ago

How can I change batteries and not get rid of my high scores?

#44 6 years ago

Tayda is awesome. I use them for a lot of stuff. Find them on facebook. They just posted a 15% off coupon code.

kwiki - change batteries while game is powered on.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

How can I change batteries and not get rid of my high scores?

I think if you do it while it's on.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I was referring to after you have remote holders installed.

Whoops. Gotcha. Good point then.

#47 6 years ago

Yeah change the batteries while the game is on to save your scores. I lost 7 sunken ships score on my Black Rose the other day forgetting to turn the game on!

1 week later
    #48 6 years ago

Just had some batteries go bad on my W?D...heard a lot aboot it but never saw it before. Luckily it's not attached to a board!

#49 6 years ago

I have a damage claim filed with P&G ( Duracell) and will never use Duracell's again for expensive electronics. My "new" Duracell's leaked in less than 2 months of use. Luckily I had a remote battery pack and had some battery puke on the holder,board was unharmed.

I am sure its a bad batch because these were dated 2016 as "good thru" I think they just make batteries as cheap as they can now and my damaged Mag Lights, Logitech mouse and Hensoldt illuminator are all proof of it.

When your batteries were just replaced in a system 11 and you turn it on and greeted with the "adj failure" message its a bad feeling.

#50 6 years ago

Man 100k karma points and you don't know how to change the batterys and keep the high scores,, Now that's funny,,Shows you that karma points don't mean you know a lot about pinball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside