(Topic ID: 60468)

Changes From Stern Prepare To Pay More

By rlevin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

xmen.jpg
    goinn_bg.jpg
    HulkSmash.jpg

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Some people will never be happy. I like the latch style lockdown. I'm not crazy about the playfield supports, but I like the fact that I have the option of not buying the more expensive ones. Your "exaggeration" was rude. If you don't like the Pro model, don't buy it!

It wasn't my exaggeration but that's fine...

#202 10 years ago

I like the latch style lockdown bar too. The only reason is because it is much more secure than the traditional lockdown bar. I hate when nudging I can feel the entire lockdown bar shift to one side, feels really cheap.

#203 10 years ago

Yeah, I prefer the latches too. They luck down tighter, they're not going to get sloppy over time, and you never get a wobbly lockdown bar during play.

#204 10 years ago

Target foam on the rails holds the bar tight and keeps the front edge from cutting a line in the powdercoat.
    None of my Stern bars are sloppy.
    The pegs are useless and having to spend 75 bucks for service rails is a ripoff.

#205 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

How is technology advancing at Stern? Can you name one "innovation" they've done?
    Their games are still in mono. P2K was in stereo.
    Stern is worthy of many accolades, but "innovation" IMO has never been one of them. Stern has copied other peoples' tech since day one. They weren't even the first company to offer LE machines.

I think the color changing LEDs tied to the software is a big innovation. Also, games today seem to have more music, voices, and complex rules. I think the memory banks are larger.

I agree with you in that we have not seen anything as innovating as pin2k and that is sad. I love my RFM. That platform had unlimited potential.

#206 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

The pegs are useless and having to spend 75 bucks for service rails is a ripoff.

The only time I miss the service rails is when I need to work on the very back of the game. I don't feel like Stern is ripping me off by keeping the cost of the Pro down. If the rails can be made cheaper, I'd expect to see them get made and sold by some of the metalworkers we have on Pinside. I've thought about hacking something myself, using strong PVC.

#207 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The only time I miss the service rails is when I need to work on the very back of the game. I don't feel like Stern is ripping me off by keeping the cost of the Pro down. If the rails can be made cheaper, I'd expect to see them get made and sold by some of the metalworkers we have on Pinside. I've thought about hacking something myself, using strong PVC.

With the rails you can slide the PF back to the stop, set it down and push down on the apron and it slides right in without having to slam the PF over it or pick up the back.
    I don't like setting it on the mechs to work on the back either.
    How much is Stern saving by using the pegs vs the rails 10 bucks?
    You know they could also save money with one leg in the back in the center, if you want two you could order the second one separately.

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changes-from-stern-prepare-to-pay-more/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.