IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haha...well now we KNOW it's true...roll the JJp & Skit B footage please.

JPop, I think you mean, not JJP?

#84 7 years ago

I think the answer as to why they haven't dealt with affected parties in an appropriate manner is plain to see in those photos.

This is going to be extremely expensive. If everyone with pf issues wants one, this is going to easily run into the high hundreds of units, I would have thought. All the small number of GBs that I've seen (Pros and Premiums) have had playfield defects or damage, so maybe it would even reach well over a thousand. Of course, I doubt even 50% will contact Stern about the problems, let alone seek replacement. But still.

Courier return one way, pallet freight back, within the US, is going to cost a lot. Outside the US ... well they're surely going to have to do it via resellers / distributors, which still, will cost an absolute fortune. That's to say nothing of the actual cost of the playfield, parts and labour. What about the retailers in Europe that have replaced entire machines at their own cost already? If replacements are approved, they'll no doubt be getting large invoices and demands for payment from them, if they haven't already.

But I have little sympathy for Stern. They knowingly continued shipping faulty product for many months, and have even had the audacity to use the (faulty) Fun playfields instead of Churchill for some (all?) of the tiny number of replacements so far, with ghosting again occurring within a handful of games.

Also, if they do acquiesce to mass replacements ... what happens to all the used parts on returned, populated playfields? I'd be seriously worried about getting used parts if I were ordering a new machine.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from John566:

First post. I received my 1st ever pin through Amazon a couple weeks ago (Metallica Premium); Nov. 2016 build with no issues so far, 80 games. I have the bug and wanted to order a Ghostbusters Premium, a Batman 66 and possibly a Whoa Nellie to flesh out my living room. Way to kill my pin buzz Stern. Maybe I'll get a Medieval Madness Remake (are these also problematic) and see what happens.
Petition signed.

The Medieval Madness Remake is produced under a contract manufacturing agreement by Stern. It was the first title to show a mass of QC issues, after assembly was moved from CGC themselves to Stern. I don't think now is a good time to buy new any Stern or Stern-made machines.

Since Attack From Mars Remake (CGC's second remake) is being taken back in house for manufacture, it's possible they may bring MMr back as well.

Bide your time or look at other options. You probably have the bug, but it would be wise to wait.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from PA:

Many waiting since October, not cool. I'm voting with my wallet too. Jon

March .... tons of the first lot of SMVEs were really bad. But there were sporadic and increasing numbers of issues before that.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

im 100% sure Stern will replace all the bad playfields that meet there replacement requirements, i should know cause i was the first that i know of that actually got a replacement. My problem is they replaced the playfield with a old made one and smudged out the original date with a chemical then stamped it with a newer date. The replacement ghosted faster then the original. Stern was trying to get over me i feel and thats why i signed the petition.

Post photos. Expose the ruse.

#181 7 years ago

That's immensely incriminating, and also a laughably amateurish and slapdash attempt to cover up what they're doing.

They must assume their customers all have IQs in single figures.

With stuff like this floating around, I'd imagine it would be in their best interests to resolve all this before it goes to court ...

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I've gotten my playfield. Maybe you need a better distributor and to stop bitching about it on pinside. Stern reads these threads, they really do. I'm sure your names have been pushed to the very last of the program because you complain about their company every time I check pinside. You two(kgb and whysnow) are ALWAYS on pinside. It's creepy. Get a life, go outside, relax. The machine hasn't even been out a year yet.

The programme where they ignore the vast majority of cases, then select a few people they think they might be able to sucker. Then pull out an old known-defective playfield, and cack-handedly try to wipe out date stamps, then re-stamp / label them with a later date that they think people will believe are fixed (or Churchill). These then ghost or lose clear in a few dozen plays, then when called out on it they throw their arms up in denial and offer no further resolution.

Sounds awesome. Why would anyone complain? Exemplary service.

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I was fully aware of Sterns warranty. Honestly they have no obligation to replace your playfield. Yes that sux but this has been discussed before
They said they would but it was not quick enough for your terms
Not sure what will happen from here but I wouldn't hold my breath
Diplomacy is always the best rt in these situations. Never burn bridges
Good luck

Stern burnt them, and they seem to be perfectly happily dousing more in petrol still.

Also, their warranty is meaningless. These are production or engineering defects.

Plus, they have to abide by legislation in other territories which is rather more favourable to the consumer. Hence why some resellers / distributors in Europe have replaced machines at their own expense - apparently with no recompense from Stern. That doesn't seem like a tenable situation, does it?

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What kind of issues? They Stern resolve them?

Read this thread, and no ... hence why the thread and petition exist.

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Oh, they could, absolutely. That doesn't mean they'll be able, or even willing, to fix their other lack of quality control issues though.

As a collector, it probably doesn't matter that they didn't install a protective piece of plexi, or glass, over the LCD screen. Nope, in typical cost cutting fashion, the LCD is fully exposed to anybody that wants to stick their fingers, knives, etc., or maybe carve their initials right into the LCD screen.

Surely that has to be an oversight? Could it have been left out during assembly?

Can others confirm their games are like this too?

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Ok, maybe. I can only comment on the one at PHoF that Tim bought.

I don't see how they can get away with having no protective layer over the LCD. As you hint at, operators will be lining up with burning torches if they've left that out.

Even if there's no malicious or accidental drunken damage, a cleaner is probably going to spray it with the wrong stuff and damage it.

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I just got an email from my dist. regarding shipment of my BM66 Pre and he said Stern is rejecting almost all the playfields. Said he might know something later today. Makes me hopeful Stern is trying to do the right thing.

That doesn't mean they have any intention of helping people who have already shipped messed up playfields. Indeed, we still see little if any evidence of that.

The cratering - not 'dimpling' - on some of the BM66s (combined with clear chipping and ghosting) is absolutely crazy though, so perhaps it's reached the point where they feel they can no longer ship them. That point should have been reached 10 months ago.

If true, this is going to be a very costly shutdown for them, and perhaps with no resolution in sight given the rumours that Churchill have walked again.

But we'll see if either BM66 or any of the other game owners actually get resolution any time soon ...

Operation fatten the books looks like it might finally be about to implode.

2 weeks later
#875 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Who knows!? But i did notice something else this morning as i was playing that I had totally glossed over before. I recall that the "Negative Reinforcment" misspelling had supposedly been corrected on later Pro playfields (I may be mistaken?). My replacement playfield has the misspelling

That means this is one of the FUN pfs, not a Churchill one.

As far as we know, all replacement pfs so far, of the few received, are FUN rather than Churchill. Seems like Stern are still trying to cheap this out.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is from old or originally rejected stock, either ... especially as it's immediately started chipping again.

They're taking the piss.

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That's probably not a big deal Josh, maybe put some clear fingernail polish on it and a piece of Mylar over it? I'm no expert at all but it'll probably be ok I'd guess. See what some of these guys on here say, I'm sure they'll know what do do about that. I mean yeah it sucks, but if you can keep it from getting any worse than that I'd say it's no big deal and if it is I'd talk to your distributor again.

Of the ones I've seen, the saucers get worse and worse ... after the clear chips, the wood starts getting chewed up, and quickly.

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't blame you for being pissed at all. I love Stern games and I want them to be a successful company forever, but they handled your situation wrong in my opinion. I am buying a new GB Premium at the end of the month with my fingers crossed and praying that I get a good product. It shouldn't have to be this way. I wouldn't even care about getting a bad playfield if they would not ignore me and fix it, but their customer service appears to be pretty sketchy right now at best.
If my GB is good I will most likely be buying Aerosmith because it has turned out way better than I ever imagined that it would. If I get a bad playfield and they ignore me though, I'm going to be pissed and definitely won't be getting a Aerosmith game.

"I am buying a new GB Premium at the end of the month with my fingers crossed and praying that I get a good product."

No offence, but that is utterly moronic.

Where's the fire? Who's holding the gun to your head? Why would you do that when you know very well that besides playfields falling to pieces, QC is at an all time low.

Just wait and see if anything actually gets fixed.

#935 7 years ago

It's painfully obvious that you're trying to convince yourself of something that the rational part of your mind is likely screaming blue murder about.

Do you seriously believe that they have 'fixed' pfs when BM'66s are cratering (not dimpling - cratering) within a few dozen games, and clear is chipping within a similar number of games on a host of titles.

About standing behind their product and replacing pfs ... you do realise that all the replacement pfs have been with Fun ones, not Churchill, most of which are chipping or ghosting again within a few games. Of the minute number that have been replaced, they're all GB and nothing else.

Oh, and it's being strongly suggested that Churchill have walked out on Stern after a short few months working with them again.

You're in denial, man.

#978 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And you are in denial also if you think that the playfield quality hasn't improved in the last few months. You are also wrong about the playfield dimpling. Both of my new games had really bad dimpling when I first started playing them, and now after lots of plays they have smoothed out and are looking fine. I'm not trying to convince myself of anything, I truly believe that the playfield issues for the most part are a thing of the past. How many playfield complaints about ghosting have you heard lately? I've heard none. Of course I'm more concerned than usual after all the problems with playfields 4-6 months ago, who wouldn't be? I don't think my chances of getting a bad playfield right now today though are as bad as you are letting on though.

There's no evidence whatsoever that it has improved.

There is nothing normal about the 'dimpling' (cratering) on some of the BM'66s. It's way too deep to even out, and the larger craters have sharp edges where the clear appears to be hairline cracked ... they're not the more normal smooth sided dimples - the ball is clearly sinking some way into the pf before it rebounds.

You're still trying to rationalise the irrational, and you keep talking about belief and faith .... is this a religion and is Gary Stern god?

3 weeks later
#1158 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Update:
Box received and playfield is boxed up ready to ship back.
They ended up shipping it overnight any way. So it looks like Stern has finally came through with their promise.
I am hoping more people are starting to get some information regarding their PF replacements now..

Any update?

Also, will you be 'satisfied' if you receive one of the Fun pfs with misspelled insert, which obviously has a high likelihood of clear coat issues and insert ghosting, and which to our knowledge all pf replacements so far have been?

Furthermore, they still aren't replacing any of the non Ghostbusters pfs, or not clear / insert issue ones (faulty print registration and colour issues for example) ... did they mention anything about other titles or other pfs with major issues being replaced? Did you raise the issue of Fun vs. Churchill?

#1179 7 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

That was me. I was not sure since this was the only picture I had.

It certainly looks like there is here. Indeed, it looks like the inserts are warped slightly and lifting right out ...

#1181 7 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

That was me. I was not sure since this was the only picture I had.

trimoto - take some more close up photos of this area ..

#1185 7 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

I feel the same way its not like game play is affected . Just looking at it for resale value . I will probably order the ball hop fix and give this table another play . if the ball would stay on the table I would find it more enjoyable

I think your Extra Ball and the inserts to the left of it (storage facility, add a ball, multipliers) are all ghosted and lifting ... they look like they've risen some way out of the playfield.

I think you'll find if you run your finger over them, you'll feel a pronounced edge.

This definitely needs replacement IMO. They're raised enough that the ball will begin causing serious damage eventually.

#1189 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You're nuts dude!

This coming from the guy who tries to convince others that Stern no longer have pf problems, on faith and belief alone?

Explain what we're seeing here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/24#post-3647018

And why we see exactly the same in a follow up shot:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/24#post-3647050

#1206 7 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Ok so I checked it out and on the extra ball insert there is a line that catches your finger nail . Also the right scoop arrow insert is lifting
all the way around and left scoop arrow lifting same way .

Pretty sure it's not mylar unfortunately

1 week later
#1228 7 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

also wasn't there a spelling mistake that was corrected in later production dates?? If nothing else, KPG's date better not be smudged!

I don't think the pf date was ever corrected on Fun manufactured pfs. Only the Churchill ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.