IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's a consumer product, sold to consumers. MBP's were $2500-3K, and these machines are now selling up to $15,000
Don't care how small the company is, maybe Stern thinks like you- maybe they think they are "Too small to fail" - but they are at least a $40-50M company, and have the financial ability to make this right- and afford to cover legal fees for attorneys.
Levi, you are the reason companies think they can get over on customers with that attitude. Since you werent affected, step aside, and let Stern defend themselves. They don't need a self-proclaimed "Crazy" person jumping on the soap box and acting like their personal Iraqi Information Minister.

Wow...that went downhill fast.

3 weeks later
#830 7 years ago

Received a call Friday and was told they have been receiving playfields and stocking them for the swap and should ramp up sending out boxes in February. As others have said, they were making sure the playfields were good. My suggestion, play the crap out of what you have, be happy, and wait for the box. You might even have that new playfield before KPG gets his buyback.....lol..................

#852 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

How about instead of trying to make "a funny" you give credit where credit is due? Obviously me turning up the heat and putting pressure on Stern has helped them speed up the process. I've noticed that since posting here, they are starting to ramp up their efforts- and I was told about the February date as well. I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence, especially since the attorney general complaint was filed and I'm sure they have been in contact with Stern and also putting pressure on them.

Oh god please.....do you really think that is the case? I was told my playfield would be replaced long before you ever started puffing out your chest. The is just a normal evolution.....yes, it took longer than they originally told me, but I got an email from my distributor every couple of weeks letting me know Stern was still working on getting better playfields. I waited and was patient, and I doubt very seriously if any rant sped up the process. If your complaining is so effective, why do you still have your game and your chipped up playfield? Wouldn't you think they would want to take care of you first?

#853 7 years ago
Quoted from treasurecove:

Definite problem! Looks like the inserts become loose under the clearcoat and get worse with heat ..play ...and wear.
The problem with Stern is getting anyone to call you back(after filling out their petty website form with your phone number) to buy specific game parts or get troubleshooting help.
The Software codes update are another problem, as all the best Software programmers get hired to work for Slot Machine companies like IGT, Aristocrat, Williams etc ..
I would wait 3+ months before buying a new title, but I guess it must be an obsession to keep buying new release Stern games one title after another...even knowing they have problems? Very few, if any increase in value like all the Bally/ Williams games used to do?

Williams exists in name only, as their game development has combined with Bally in Vegas under the SGI umbrella. IGT code is developed in Reno, Vegas, and up in Canada after the merge with GTECH. ATI development is out west as well. My point being, I doubt they are hiring any programmers away from Stern. Maybe that happened back when Williams was actually making machines, but I doubt that is the case these days.

1 week later
#963 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have a scheduled phone call with the Illinois attorney general on Tues at 1pm PST. They are getting more info about the situation, hopefully they will put pressure on Stern now. But who knows.. I'll find out Tues I guess

Yes, and they will take your complaint and then make a phone call to Stern, and that is pretty much all they will do. In a State like Illinois (11Billion Dollars in arrears right now) , they would need half a stadium full of folks to even consider any type of real action. Oh they will tell you great things....just don't expect them to run into the courthouse and start filing cases. You CAN file your own civil case if you want, and maybe in 2 years or so it will be heard.

Got my replacement playfield early last week and just installed earlier today. Beautiful shape, and everything on the field is new...not my stuff switched to a new playfield, and not someone else's (I marked several pieces). No wear, no scratches, and everything is back to where it was when I bought the pin. I went back and added the shooter lane guards, added some mylar to the shooter lane and outhole, and replaced a few other mods. Here is the funny part......Playing the first game, I quickly discovered that my old playfield must have had a switch that wasn't working. I hadn't seen the Scolari brothers in forever, except for certain setups. I just assumed the new code had pretty much done away with them since everyone was complaining......turns out the inertia ball switch wasn't working on the old pin. I probably mucked it up when I put in the wire strengthener and didn't even know it. My first game on the new playfield was a whole new experience. At any rate, I got first class communication and first class treatment. I initially called my Distro when the ghosting appeared, and I got a call every 2 weeks just assuring me the replacement was still in the works. Not a lover or a hater, but I do have to give credit where it is due. yes, I did wait for a few months like everyone else, but my game played just fine during that time.

#1008 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Perfect, I'm going to call CBS this week and inquire about running a story about this then. It's worth a shot. If they will run a story promoting Gary and his business, then they should also run a story on this and cite my petition.

CBS is not in the game of trying to ruin a company, so you know where that will go, but all kidding aside, I do understand the frustration, just not the path you are taking to try and get resolution. I've said a million times they need to find someone with some public relations skills to be the face of their company, as they their own worst enemy in the public eye. I'm sure Gary will come up with some solution for you, but most likely the wait is in response to all of the negativity. Not the way most of us would handle it if it were our company, but human nature is to push back when pushed. Trace it back to the cave-man days! lol I do hope you see some resolution soon.

#1037 7 years ago

Just as reminder, when you get your playfields to swap, take some time and remember any mods or additions you made that you will need to take off the old playfield. A forgot a couple of things such as a stiffer launcher spring to stop the ball whizzing into the back panel, and a drain guard. If you added shims to the slimmer mech, any extra lighting, PKE mirror, etc, be sure to remove them. Stern is NOT removing your components and placing them back on the playfield they ship you. Something else for the purists....remove your "LE" cardboard luggage tags from the wire harness under your playfield and put them on your new field. The one I got in my box had "Premium" tags, which is the same as an LE, but if you are one of those OCD folks like me, you might want to save your LE stamped ones to put back on the game.

#1050 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's a perfect storm - price increases AND spoof QC from Stern. It's a recipe for major depreciation, that's for sure.
The market has spoken and people buying second hand pins that are still in production and can be bought NIB simply do not want to pay more then $7500-7800 for a pin. Unless of course its a rare great condition B/W pin.
Anyone paying these prices better be ready to take a bigger loss on resale and also know that the machine itself could be a POS and Stern will drag their ass as long as possible to make it right.

Imagine that...buying something, using it, and then selling it for less......Oh the humanity!

#1058 7 years ago
#1060 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

One of the reasons I got into purchasing pinball, and not just playing them at locations, was the fact they depreciate very little - even when buying NIB. I think that's the story for many of us.
All it has done is shifted me from buying NIB Sterns to only buying used from now on. I won't take the large hit that will come with these new prices vs a tiny hit that was in the past.

Interesting investment philosophy.....ranks right up there with determining your investment by the number of cars in the parking lot.

#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This doesn't even make sense.
Surely you can understand the simple point he was making?

What flynnibus said.....and, I was referring to a statement made in an earlier post to exaggerate the point.

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

No a over priced sport car is a image thing riding a bike is a lifestyle to many

Yea, but most living the "lifestyle" as you put it, aren't riding $40,000 bikes.

#1108 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

What's so hard to understand here? I swear, the mindset around here blows me away. Always looking to twist shit in a negative way.

This.....like you aren't president of the local chapter of "Negative Shit Twisters".......I do have to say I laughed harder at this than I have in a long time. Glad you got your playfield, just like everyone said would eventually happen. Glad you feel vindicated. Looking for the day when this discussion can be closed............

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm not living any lifestyle at all lol. Hell I'm not even brand loyal when it comes to motrcycles, I've owned every brand that's made almost. I actually used to hate Harleys until they came out with the Rushmore bikes.The Rushmore bikes are nice as hell and I wanted a nice bike that I can take on trips and stuff.
If some idiot wouldn't have wiped me out with his car and almost killed me, I'd still be riding my Royal Star Venture. Some people just like nice things,, it doesn't always have to be about trying to be cool.

Sorry, you took that completely the wrong way. I was referring to the folks that live a "bikers" lifestyle (nomadic)...most of them don't ride 40K Harleys. I am sure some do, and that is why I said "most"...there are always exceptions. I spent some time working motorcycle gang investigations in a former life, and most of the true hardcore "bikers" build their own bikes, and are proud of the miles, wear and dings.

I rode a Venture and then a Nomad for years until I decided to buy a recliner on wheels (Gold Wing). I love the Harley look, feel and sound, but I never could pull the trigger on one. I don't even mind the cost of the bike....it is the cost of the accessories and service that I object to. I have seen my buddies shell out thousands in service....not repairs mind you.....just service. I know that is a stupid thing to say when we are shelling out 10K for a pinball machine, but it is just one of those things that sticks in my craw.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.75
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.