IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

No problem ...... That's why I waited for the November run to get my premium.
It's been a well talked about fact around here that they changed back to Churchill. Where have you been.
Obviously your more about debating and calling people out then listening to advise that could possibly help you

So your hersay is better than stern's own responses... oh and that stern refuses to actually confirm any of this... to even their own distributors/partners?

Do you not see the problem here?

You remind me of the guy who insisted in sept he knew everything about what Playfield's were going out... and was entirely wrong... because he trusted his anecdotal info as if it was representative of everything.

And kudos for telling people that paid before the game even launched.... that waiting till nov was the informed buy. Way to go captain hindsight

#338 7 years ago

For the comments about 'small % of playfields'

If this were a problem of variance.. where the variables cause the defect.. that would carry some merit

But the problems seem to be much more uniform in origination... and the variance is simply how severe the problem is.

Really soft wood... is not something that will vary PF to PF. It's the sourcing of the wood.
Inadequate testing leading to problematic play.. is a uniform problem
The Clearcoat issues... who knows if they are an application or systemic problem... but the % getting out to the field with issues would infer the problem is inherent to what they are doing in production, and not just a defect due to someone straying from process, etc.

Stern has to keep the factory moving.. which is why such systemtic problems should be the utmost importance to track down. But it does seem like Stern has rolled the dice and just kept pushing product while they try to fix as they go...

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Are you suggesting Stern isn't using some of the ASTM standard methods to adequately test their wood?

Forget testing.. Its within the realm of possibility they simply are accepting lower quality wood now.

If Churchill says to Stern 'Hey Gary, bad news, wood prices are up... to get that same XYZ wood we used last year, the new price for PF is up $40 each'. They can certainly decide that they aren't going to pay for the material and accept a lower standard.

Or simply move to another quality seeking price reductions...

Stern hasn't promised anyone any spec on their components... they can change them at will.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

They've also shown that they're not afraid to raise prices though, so to suggest that they are just using cheaper material to eek out a little more from each pin seems odd, without evidence, no?

I didn't suggest it - I said its within the realm of possibilities, in response to the challenge about testing. Stern is raising prices because they can.. not COGs.

But we know they've been trimming the BOM steadily now for some time... while also raising prices. So I wouldn't call it far-fetched either.

Quoted from Chambahz:

I mean, if it were that simple a problem, don't you think that Stern would have switched back to the more expensive wood in order to solve these issues by now?

I'd wager the dimpling isn't a major concern except in the handful of cases where it's over the top (the example BM66 shown recent for instance). The clear failures and inserts are the main issues I bet they are focusing on.

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nobody knows what changed.
-
Insert plastic formula changed? Not that anyone can measure.
Clear coat formula changed? Manufacturer claims nothing has changed.
Wood changed? Same Maple trees from the same syrup farms processed by the same plywood manufacturer.
Environmental change? Same factory with same humidity, same coating booths.
Ink changed? Manufacturer claims nothing has changed.
-
Even worse, only a percentage of playfields are affected; making it even more maddening

Here's a new theory... playfield flex. It's normally the inserts near the center of the PF ghosting right? What if it's playfield movement and slight flexing... that could put a strain on the adhesion between the inserts, their seating, and the clear.

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All the **worry pics** everyone has sent me so far were just normal dimples on new playfields.
100,000 games latter, it will all level out nicely.

New Stern Playfields - The new land of a thousand lakes

Because some of these craters we are seeing won't ever level out.. unless you like your inserts a mil taller than the wood, etc.

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I've read the claims of extreme dimpling but yet to see any pictures posted of them...everything I have seen seems normal.

Check out the PF shots near the end of this post.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/28#post-3544738

Some of those are brutal in size.. and all of this in a game less than 2 weeks old. The size of those are not typical. You can tell they are deep too because of the diameter of the impression.

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's what new playfields look like as they get their cherry broken.
If you don't like seeing how the process starts, stick to 30 year old games that already have their playfields beaten flat...sheesh.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Thanks for pointing those out. I can't really tell if they are any worse then normal though. The newer the playfield the worse dimples look, so a two week playfield will look bad...they always do

This is an argument that is predicated on the idea that people have no experience with new games.. yet that is not true. I, along with many others, have been playing, collecting, and buying games for a long time. I have multiple new Stern games in my own lineup, and have been around countless numbers in the collections around me.

These are different.. if it's the game's physics, or the playfields themselves.. the run of the last few games have been horrible compared to previous Stern production.

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, my TWDLE magnet cores are dimpled to shit!!!!
I never would have noticed unless paranoia hadn't taken over here.

It's not about the existence.. the informed know it happens.
It's about severity and rate.

#488 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And it affects my fun factor, playability and love for the pin how? Nada

I keep my pins for 5-10-15+ years - not months. The durability of the pin is an important factor of the pins I buy.

A magnet that is too soft will need to be replaced more often.. and risks other wood damage if you don't service it in time. An unsmooth playfield will ultimately impact ball movement.

(but nice slide away from the point..)

#492 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How old are you? Life is too short to worry about such things.
If you are talking about the durability of the PF, buy another later if you play it enough over 15 years. Repopulate it!
In an HUO environment, if you can wear your pin out I'll be highly impressed.

I have pins I've owned for 19 years myself. Sorry you 'if it breaks, I'll just buy a new one' crowd don't appreciate having pins that survive.

I've never worried about 'wearing out my pins' - even pins that were older than me.. but Stern seems hell bent on changing that.

Your dismissive tact really doesn't paint the 'new blood' in a good light at all. Just emphasizes the more money then sense stereotype.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like every Bally/Williams pin known to man with sunken inserts, ghosting and dimple mania going on after 50k plays?
Buy a PF protector if you are so concerned.

smh.... you just throw shit out in a jumble hoping something makes sense.

#548 7 years ago

Damage from the apron isn't that uncommon.. but I can't say I've seen it with the big floating plastic ones stern has been using..

Where you see light coming through the black keyline on inserts.. check if the insert has lifted or if the clear is chipped from above.

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So, a brand new $8,000 machine - right from the factory floor - brand new playfield, cabinet, boards, lights, wiring, hardware etc is not expected to be as nice as a HEP restore?

Just view any of his restoration threads here and you'll quickly see how HEP is way beyond 'new'

#678 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

How long have you owned it for?
I'll tell you, for 3 months straight I loved it.. put hundreds of plays on it between my wife and I. I had a lot of fun playing it, but I kept thinking how much better I'd love it when the code matures. Then I saw the code wasn't maturing, but causing frustrating bugs - then another update would fix those bugs and introduce more.
Once I realized that the code that shipped on it was pretty much done and that was that, I started to realize just how shallow of a game it is and it wore off very quickly after that. Well, that and the fact the dumbass Slimer mech stopped working half the time.
But really, is a killer game - but the longevity of the code is very weak which loses its luster quicker than other games. IMO of course!

Thats how many star trek owners felt... many sold their games... then afterwards the big update hit that brought medals, the extra missions, etc.. and they were kicking themselves afterwards.

#729 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Exactly man. STLE is a fine example of loving the layout, theme, and overall look of the machine- but the code just didn't give me the "one more game" feeling. Playing through the modes felt like a grind with no satisfaction.. theres no way to hit the stage 2 or 3 wizard modes at my skill level, so grinding away hoping for the 1st one got very old. Also, having to hit the away team shots to start a new mode was frustrating at times.

Stick to games like Scared Stiff, ToTAN, ToM, etc.. clearly you get 'frustrated' by games that don't just lay out all the prizes for you.

You should still have had plenty of objective to go for in ST with Kobayashi Maru and the medals.. without needing to play the strategies for the level 3 awards, etc.

#740 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Everyone has their preference you know.

Yes, but individual preference doesn't define the consensus - something that escapes you. Your comments show you don't like working towards objectives, but would rather have it more readily obtainable or at immediate reach. Hence the suggestion of games that don't require qualifying things or much effort to lite up alternate paths.

'having to shoot the away team' to qualify modes being frustrating? On TZ you still have to hit a ramp to qualify the mode start being ON and then hit the shot... which is common in most games. Mode start being available without qualifying varies in many games, but not sure why having to hit a mode start is 'frustrating'

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude I'm a good player and owned STLE for 2 years and even I agree the mission shot and away team shots can be frustrating for starting 18 missions. It's the #1 complaint about the game amongst owners

must be a socal thing.. the shots are not that difficult nor devious. If you had to complete a warp combo.. ok. But simply a wide shot to the left.. that never rejects.. or a shot to the right where you can even use the flipper to sweep the ball in?? Not stuff to moan about.

#762 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think you are right. I remember reading an interview with Dwight where he discussed designing the code for Stern's Star Trek.
He said he coded the game to purposely annoy people in SoCal with the mission start shot requirements. He then said, and I quote, "Guys in Virginia are going to absolutely LOVE this part of the game"

At least you are consistent in your whining about game rules. Funny how you compared everything to hobbit... then matured and sold that off. What's your new hotness now? I love checking in on your reviews of games... from the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

The shot to the right isn't that tough. Neither is the shot to the left, but it's brutal if you miss it. Pretty decent chance you'll lose the ball.

Risk vs reward in pinball shots??? Who would have thunk it...

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Has anybody received a replacement playfield yet? I am working on a YouTube episode for our Canadian Arcade channel and have a few questions to ask of anybody who has gone through the process already. I am getting my own playfield replaced this coming weekend, so am documenting my overall experience. Please PM me if you don't mind me bouncing a few questions off you.
Thanks!

Look at the key posts at some of the Ghostbuster threads.. you'll see posts linked.

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Thanks.. that helped. I reached out to a few people. Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of people who have gotten replacements yet. Saw one guy who got a replacement that also ghosted on him after 40 plays, looks like he ended up selling the thing, but that was almost 2 months ago. Hoping they have actually solved the problem since then. Guess we'll see.

I would say that's pretty consistent with what I've seen. If asked, I'd throw out maybe.. a half dozen to 10 people who have posted on here they've either been swapped or have started. Probably less than that really.. but its on that kind of scale

1 week later
#887 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That makes no sense on Sterns part. If the premium/LE needs a protector then so does a pro

No.. one is a scoop.. one is a saucer. Scoops wear differently and far more. The right side on Pro is like the Gimli saucer on LOTR. Pass through saucer.

#1062 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This doesn't even make sense.
Surely you can understand the simple point he was making?

That he looked at a hobby in a moment in time and extrapolated that to mean thats how it always is? Surely you can understand the naivety in that or at least self-induced failure.

#1077 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

How about the time in the hobby when pins were a fraction of what they cost now and they actually made people money?

They made money by either refurbishing them or by routing them. People didn't speculate on appreciation. Nib games always lost value as the game wasn't new anymore and residual was based on a used game market where new stock defined the upper limit except for collectible history examples.

The idea that i can buy new, I can play and sell for what I have in it or more... was not the hobby. That was a trend that started with used games that had already depreciated... and later saw appreciation due to the flood of new buyers eager to buy and comparing prices to new games. The "investment" bubble came with this flood of new money and the speculation that came with the boom and titles like star trek and Metallica . This idea is based on the market at a point in time and is not reflective of the grander trend.

Now we have seen the manufacturers react to this and look to capitalize on the eagerness... and nib prices are through the roof. When the prices get to the point the buyers shrink... the price the second hand market is willing to pay for those titles will go down even more.... because the number of buyers at the higher price point is down.

Because almost every game is going into private collections and being babied... condition will have less upside on value. There will not be a large premium for a cherry game... because most are.

The market of 2011-13 is already an alighnment that is already gone. As we enter this next phase of 8k-10k premium priced pins you can't use the expectations you formed from before to expect.

It's not "hard to understand" how people think their buys will be safe because that's what they saw before... but it's naive to think the model will keep repeating while all the other pieces have already changed.

You've already seen it with the higher priced jjp games and with stern pushing that higher price as well we will see more of it.

#1104 7 years ago

Glad KPG will finally get his Playfield.. but pretty typical 'grease the squeeky wheel' responses from Stern. Just get the noisey guy over to the side and continue as normal. All the 'trying' responses are just placating. Where is the action? You want us to believe someone is just being made aware of this now? Where is the output of your 'trying' for the last year+?

Stern 'tried' when they hired Jared... then quickly cut his balls off and buried that whole effort. Community engagement is not that hard when you are coming from as far back as Stern is. Hell...screw community, start with simple CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Sounds like more of the same.. it's exactly the same conversation they had when Gary called you, the only difference is this time they have playfields in production they can swap you now.

Nothing is changing... they will continue down their road of burying things and handling them at a pace that impacts them the least, even at the expense of their customers.

3 weeks later
#1199 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I never noticed this issue with my Simpsons Pinball Party, (long sold now) but this seems to be a bigger issue with Ghostbusters and Batman 66. Did this issue start with a specific Stern table?

The problems started with Game of Thrones and Spiderman VE... then peaked with Ghostbusters. With GOT it was small scale.. SMVE was a bit more common.. and GB seemed to be the majority.

Batman appears to be a mixed bag..

#1202 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Actually it started with Met Pro LED's a few years back when they first came out.

I'm not aware of any large scale issues with Metallica's and their clearcoat in the style that we are discussing here. There was a batch of Metallicas, and a smaller number of Star Treks that were experiencing delamination and the entire top coat chipping off in large chunks. I don't connect that to this same chain of events that have been happening as that was a small window that did not persist afterwards.. and were not failures of the same kind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.