IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Hello,
Many of you may already be up to date on the significant manufacturing defects of current Stern Pinball machine playfields. If you are not, feel free to catch up by browsing this lengthy thread here on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious
In summary, many customers, including myself, have received New in Box pinball machines that were purchased, unboxed, and were discovered to have minor to significant manufacturing defects such as "ghosting" inserts, chipping/flaking clear coat, etc.
Gary Stern and Stern Pinball, along with customer's distributors, were immediately contacted mid-2016. There was a promise of a "Playfield Replacement Program" that has never seemed to officially be announced or started. There are only 1-2 people who claim to have received a new playfield, one of which claimed it was another defective playfield that has ghosted again already.
Gary Stern personally reached out to me in August 2016 and said to expect a replacement in October 2016, which did not happen- and now I no longer receive responses or acknowledgements when I reach out for an update. The latest update was from Patrick Powers who no longer is specifying a replacement date, other than "It has been pushed back".
Due to the mishandling of communication and following through with the promised replacement program, I have created an online petition as the start of potential legal action on behalf of customers that purchased a defective product from Stern Pinball Inc.
Please sign this petition if you are either a customer who purchased a defective product, or thinks Stern should make it right for those customers who have been affected. The petition on Change.org is here:
https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields
I will provide updates as I work towards a positive resolution for the pinball community and customers of Stern Pinball Inc.
Kris

Amen to you brother!

I think stern has the best pins on the market and do shit good...for the most part. That said; it is too bad they're treating customers like this with no answers or statements. They work harder at censoring negativity than they do making things right. I bet Jody already has a few emails out to Robin on this thread alone, I'm curious what will come first; stern making things right - or Stern getting Robin to close this thread down.

Good luck to you KPG, if the company and distributors we continue to support don't have our backs, im glad you do.

/popcorn

1 week later
#524 7 years ago

Been awhile since i read this thread, but....

Quoted from ExtremePinball:

I keep reading about the "small percentage". Another poster claims 1-2% of the playfields are affected.
Allow me to introduce a healthy dose of Reality:

I imagine this is directed towards me from the other thread. I like how you twist words around and continue to do so; for the record, i said a small % of playfields (in general, not just ghostbusters) were affected from EXTREME DISINTEGRATING UNPLAYABLE CONDITIONS like KPG's. Just want to keep the facts straight.

Listen extreme pinball; i like you and what you do for the hobby. You have some of the nicest games on route and ive gone to bat for you in other threads stating this. But please stop twisting my words around like you did in the other thread and this one (if this is directed towards me). I feel for you and anyone dealing with these playfield issues i really do. Are your pins inoperable due to ghosting inserts? What has your distributor said about this issue? are you on the list for sterns replacement program? Can you share your pics you sent stern to get on the replacement program?

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

It was most certainly not directed at you. It is directed at all of the repeated (from multiple sources) bullshit speculation that "only a small percentage" of playfields are affected. Based on what?!?! Based on the one playfield somebody saw that looked fine when they unboxed it????
Of the 3 playfields I have personally viewed, all 3 have ghosting, and crater size divots. Two of them are mine and appeared fine NIB..... that didn't last. The third is at the PHoF. Another poster, either in this thread or another, has stated that 4 of the 4 playfields the poster saw where ghosted. 100% failure rate is not a small percentage to me.
Understand that I have personally unboxed, tested, prepped and played no less than 2 dozen brand new Stern games in the last 2.5 years. Until GB, I had never seen craters this large, nor have I seen a single ghosted insert.
Inoperable? No. Unacceptable? You bet it is. Unfortunately I HAD faith in this company to increase their QC after the previous debacles they put out, not to just totally give up on QC. It is clear, going back to at least TWD, that Stern does not even bother to test their own finished product, or, they KNOW the games have issues, but ships them anyway and roll the dice. When EVERY shot up Bicycle Girls ramp on an TWDLE results in a launched air ball, and then months later they put out a "fix", it supports what I've just stated above. When a complete lack of ability to make the orbit on a GoTLE, which is then fixed with a code change so the orbit isn't necessary, it supports what I've just stated above. Do I really need to bring up the fact that the code is buggy and unfinished on EVERY game they produce?!?!?!
I built my entire business based on quality, not quantity. Stern is no longer producing quality, they've opted for quantity. They can keep their quantity. If I should decide to buy a BM66 or an Aerosmith.... or any other future title, it will be in the secondary market.... after the first sucker dealt with all of the flaws, defects, issues, and lack of code.

Right on, thanks for clearing that up.

And i'm not an operator but have unboxed approximately 15 NIB Sterns since entering the hobby 10 years ago and haven't seen playfield issues like we are seeing. Like you said earlier in this thread, and i have in other threads, whatever stern was doing a year or 2 ago, go back to that method - problem solved! But, being in the hobby for so long i have seen a difference between buying 1st production NIB games vs late production NIB games whether it was last year, or 5 years ago. I've finally got sick and tired of being the guinea pig and stopped buying in on these early model production games. It sucks for operators more than home buyers though because it's their business to make money and keep the business rolling. At least for home collectors we can have the luxury of waiting and pick n' choose how we so desire.

So i feel for you bro, i just hope you keep putting out quality pins at your locations with what you have to work with and as a customer, and hobby enthusiast, i recommend you stay clear of LE/Prem games for route as from what ive heard and read, they are much more difficult to operate. And your location Pro machines are as nice or sometimes nicer than an LE (i.e. your TWD & MET Pro's). LE features for the most part are added gimmicks, and Stern doesnt typically program these extra features with much attention like JJP does to their machines.

#604 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just got an email from Trent stating that Stern sent him an email that "all playfields are expected to be replaced by Feb". Brand new news today. Perhaps this is their way of responding to my letter, with a firm ETA?!? If so.. that's definitely good news.

That's a week away, and considering they rejected redknights playfield, I'm guessing they only have a handful of 'approved' playfield replacements to respond to

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I would have linked you to some of Chris Hutchins youtube videos that showed his process, including a couple that showed exactly what he does to a reproduction PF from Mirco. In fact, one of the videos that he posted he was actually working on the Mirco MB playfield that I sent him as part of the MB restoration that I was having Jim McCune do. Unfortunately Chris takes his videos down after a certain amount of time so it's no longer available.
Vid said it well!
Sometimes a picture (video) is worth a thousand words. This is my MB that McCune restored and HEP did the PF.
You gotta get over here to play it!
» YouTube video

This monster bash is truly amazing. Most beautiful pin I've ever seen/played....next to the McCune restored AFM that rob sold dam him!

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thats how many star trek owners felt... many sold their games... then afterwards the big update hit that brought medals, the extra missions, etc.. and they were kicking themselves afterwards.

KPG sold his STLE like a day after I sold it to him lol. And this was long after the code update. I LOVE STLE, and miss it dearly, but the code is not for everyone even as it stands and I get that - STLE code is kind of awkward in that it has no sense of vast progression, but I still love it.

Same goes for GB code in a different sense, it's not for everyone. I've played pinball with KPG, he knows what he likes and dislikes about pinball and he knows how great code can develop longevity in a pinball lineup. He's had Metallica & TWD for a long time and has MMR + TZ. He knows how important great code is for a home use environment.

Me myself, I don't hate GB, I just don't like it enough to add it to my collection, even if it was for a few months.

Quoted from hoby1:

Seriously, How could you even speculate what they are going to do with GB.

No offense to Dwight, I blame stern. But, look at dwights coding history since coming back to stern. He did one major update, with a few tweaks, to save STLE; but nothing after cause stern didn't allocate him more time which is a shame because from what I understand, it's one of their best sellers in the last 5 years, even better than AC/DC from what I understand. Then, he abandoned GOT just as it was getting good and he even said it needs more choreography, more sound queues, and more tweaks which he was about to do until stern again yanked him off and put him on GB. And GB has done very well code wise, just as STLE and GOT did, but just like those other two games it never got the X factor polish update to bring it to the next level which is why Lyman & Keith are The best in the biz.

So yea, speculating this is what you get with GB code, is pretty darn accurate from KPG IMO based on sterns history and trends.

#680 7 years ago

And for the record, Dwight does stellar code or I wouldn't have owned two of his pins for a year+ (STLE - sold, regret) and GOT (currently own going on 13 mos). But, I have no plans buying early anymore, even with Lyman games, because of sterns history of abandoning code. And owning Lyman games early blows, see BM66. His games are the best in the end, worst from the start. IMO.

#724 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Exactly man. STLE is a fine example of loving the layout, theme, and overall look of the machine- but the code just didn't give me the "one more game" feeling. Playing through the modes felt like a grind with no satisfaction.. theres no way to hit the stage 2 or 3 wizard modes at my skill level, so grinding away hoping for the 1st one got very old. Also, having to hit the away team shots to start a new mode was frustrating at times.
STLE's layout was perfect to me. That 3rd flipper warp ramp shot never got old. The speed and combos from the ramps were great.. the spinner shot and combo's from it were great. The code did it in.
Surprisingly, that's how I feel about GB. I actually like the layout.. the right ramp could be improved on, and of course airball issues- and I put a hanging center post mod between the flippers which fixed that too. Dwight's style code simply does not do it for me.
Also, my buddy had just bought a GOT LE.. sold it already after a couple months and bought a TAF instead. GOT's code just did not click for us. Now TAF? Such a better game vs any recent Stern's IMO. All this playfield thing did was push me away from NIB's and back to 90's B/W games. I've spent $15K on B/W games in the past couple months and might even be buying a high end MB if RobT will let me LOL... that's all money that would have went to a distro for a NIB Stern.. but instead it went to older games in the private market.
I'm probably going to sell my MET and TWD just in spite of the fact I no longer want own Stern's any more.. and just get pristine collector quality B/W pins. I just have a bitter taste in my mouth after all this.
So far, the buyback of GBLE is lagging along too.. was supposed to have details on Monday.. here it is Friday, nothing yet. Not surprised one bit.

Right on man! If you haven't experienced the greatNess of BW games such as TAF, MB, AFM, MM, TZ, etc.... go for it! Classics are a classic for a reason. Good luck prying robs MB off his hands, he may trade it for your jeep though

I always told you to get GOT PRO not LE; it's night and day. Code was built around the pro. But at least I gave you guys a tour of all the wizard modes in our $1 game night before he sold it lol I love GOT rules, but just like a lot of sterns - it never got the code polish it needs and still has bugs and missing call outs/sound queues I mean, you have one of the most dynamic scoring pins in history, currently in production, with some of the biggest jackpot opportunities ever to be had of any pin; you'd think they'd add some effects and sounds to those jackpots.

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, but individual preference doesn't define the consensus - something that escapes you. Your comments show you don't like working towards objectives, but would rather have it more readily obtainable or at immediate reach. Hence the suggestion of games that don't require qualifying things or much effort to lite up alternate paths.
'having to shoot the away team' to qualify modes being frustrating? On TZ you still have to hit a ramp to qualify the mode start being ON and then hit the shot... which is common in most games. Mode start being available without qualifying varies in many games, but not sure why having to hit a mode start is 'frustrating'

Dude I'm a good player and owned STLE for 2 years and even I agree the mission shot and away team shots can be frustrating for starting 18 missions. It's the #1 complaint about the game amongst owners. The best suggest to fix this was using fire button to unlock the vengeance shot to random start a mission.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.