IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#334 7 years ago

Communication seems to be the big problem. I think it's understandable if they don't necessarily know a single cause for the problems.

That said, I wonder if the ghosting and chipping are unrelated. I've never seen a ball slam into edges as hard as I've seen in GB -- for example, screaming straight down the middle and bouncing back on the edge that's prone to chipping, the default trough strength slams the ball into the shooter lane, shots into the drop targets, etc.

On my GoT, my shooter lane Cliffy is now dented where the ball hits the lane. Pretty funny, actually, but there's no way to turn down the trough power on GoT. No clear coat can withstand that kind of abuse where there are certain angles of incidence on an edge.

So, maybe there is a problem with some playfields but maybe there's an inherent design flaw as well.

#366 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well something has changed. Now they have gone from ghosting to extreme dimpling on the latest playfields. No, not your average "they will all even out with time dimpling" but full surface of the moon dimpling.

The games have changed. The latest games seem faster and have significantly more airball than any other games I've played. That might explain the dimpling, but not sure about the ghosting -- airballs certainly could be contributing to it.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Me too, but if they are rejecting almost "all" playfields what does that tell you about the company that's making them?

Would be great if they just came out and publically said this. I can understand they don't want to do a massive playfield swap at one time for production reasons (keeping the lineup moving), but it also doesn't make sense to do them all and then still_ have problems. If the ghosting and chipping only manifests after play (airballs, vibration, who knows) then it's extremely hard to QC. Of course, from our side, so much of this is speculation because we really don't really know specifics about who's making the playfields and which are showing problems, but I'm sure Stern has this data.

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I was thinking the exact same thing. To expect a replacement because of those 'issues' is ridiculous....seriously. A couple of cliffy's and you're good....get some sleep dude.

While I wouldn't be happy if that were my playfield at only 200 plays, I tend to agree that it's a bit early for a replacement. That's not a no, but just a 'not yet'. The good news (bad news, depending on your point of view) is that it will likely get worse in which case you will qualify.

As for shooter lane -- I think nearly all newer Stern games suffer from the lane damage (not the clear cracking nearest to the VUK) because of the way to ball is ejected at mach-speed into the lane. I'm pretty anal about this stuff, and so I've watched and recorded (slow-motion) how balls enter the lane on multiple machines. The ball should essentially 'fall' or roll into the lane, or hit the side rail and fall into the lane, not be thrust so hard and have it hit nearly perpendicular to the edge, exactly where you see that damage. Even my cliffy on my GOT is getting bent in that spot. On GB, at least they added a setting to reduce the power. In short, shooter cliffys will fix/cover all that, at least.

For the drain, I have an opinion that it's a design issue and not a clearcoat issue. The ball occasionally screams down the middle and you can hear it bang into the edges. The cliffy will help here, too, and at least it's not in a visible area.

The big problem is with the ghosting. If I were you, I'd play the crap out of it, forget about the ghosting if you can, and simply check it after a month. If it gets worse, you'll be able to get a replacement. If not, you have no real problems to worry about.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Eric,
That's the point though. Why let it get worse. You see there is a problem why not fix it? I did turn the setting way down on the ball eject after the shooter lane started cracking.
My biggest question is since they have not approved a replacement at this time how long will i be eligible for a replacement if this gets worse in the future?

Fair enough. What Stern should do is install protectors on the sensitive spots, like they started doing on the scoops on LE/Prem. Because of the way the game plays, I think some of this damage (not all, and certainly not ghosting) is unavoidable or at least more likely, and not necessarily because of a problem with the clearcoat.

But I agree with the meta points that Stern really needs to communicate more effectively here. It could be there are others with worse problems that need to be prioritized.

#650 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

My replacement playfield immediately began to chip. I wouldn't bother sending your faulty one back in, just flip it and move on.

So, what's the possibility here that there's no problem with the playfield/clear, but a problem with the design, speed, airballs, etc. of the machine? I'd be curious if ghosting occurs without any usage, or are airballs/etc landing on the inserts causing it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 12.75
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=bhwolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.