IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

They haven't worked to fix anything.
For someone not being paid (I assume you aren't), it's really sad how much of a trollish shill you are. What's the point of doing this? People are pissed off, frustrated, and left in the cold by Stern and all you can do is come in and wave your pom poms around and shout cheers for Stern Pinball. Enough already.

And you are no better, as you are the mirror opposite of what you are complaining about.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Me too, but if they are rejecting almost "all" playfields what does that tell you about the company that's making them?

Exactly. They haven't found the problem. Still.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I just want to know what happenned with KPG? Is he done with his efforts to help ALL people affected by this? Did he throw the towel as soon as he got good news regarding his machine? I don't see him posting anymore.....

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Should Jody Dankburg's time and effort using his JY64 alias be used in a positive way, to say post something on Facebook and the Stern website addressing this, especially on BM66 machines now?

I pointed out before that there was zero evidence of JY64 being Jody, and the moderators have confirmed that he is not Jody.

People should stop calling him Jody.

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Whomever he is really dies not matter.

Facts don't matter to you?

It's ok to falsely accuse a Pinsider of being someone that they are not?

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that you would think this way...

#502 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No, i am saying that i don't really care whom jy specifcally is.

Yeah, I read what you said the first time.

Again, facts do not matter to you. Just because you feel that he is a Stern "schill" (sic) doesn't mean that people should call him Jody after the mods have confirmed that he isn't.

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It is funny you say that I don't like it at all and you have not heard me say that I do

Like I said: facts do not matter to him.

#550 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Seems the lack of standard criteria and the playfield evaluations are unevenly being administered. Yours looks to have enough issues that a replacement is warranted.

Really?

The biggest flaw was under the apron. The PF isn't perfect, but this is not an example of a PF that I would ever expect to get a new PF replacement for... by a long shot.

Would love to hear Vids opinion on this one.

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

If you were interested in purchasing this game and I sent you those pictures would you still want to purchase it at fair market value versus another GB premium that is the same price without these issues? I feel like this also affects resale value of the machine. Back to the car analogy.... two exact cars, same mileage, same everything but one has clear coat coming off....... which one would you purchase? (Note: not trying to attack you here, just wanting your honest opinion)

Using your car analogy, the clear would only have issues in places where you can't see it, like under the hood.

Of course if there were two GB's for sale I would want the one that looked better overall. Same with buying a car. But just like a car, these machines all have variances that could *possibly* have a small impact on the value.

Just like when I bought LOTR or IM, those titles are known for having fairly big variances in PF registration. People will probably pay a tiny bit more for the ones with the best registration, but Stern didn't replace the ones that were less than perfect.

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

RobT, would you buy a playfield at normal market value that has ghosting and/or chipping?

If I were in the market for a GB I would most definitely consider buying his pin. I don't see anything on his pin that would prevent me from enjoying it, or how it plays. Heck, if it weren't for his red circles I would have had to look pretty hard to see what he was complaining about in half those pictures. We are not talking about some HEP restoration here where near perfection is to be expected. I admit, though, that I would probably want to wait a bit longer to see if any of it got worse since there are a lot of posts indicating that ghosting can get worse over time.

"Normal market value" on GB is already going to be lower just because of all the negative publicity surrounding the pin...

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Would you pay the same price for a GB with a non-blemished playfield as you would his pin?

I already said that I would obviously prefer the best looking pin in the best condition that I could find. So would I pay a little more for a "non-blemished" PF? Sure, but I'm talking something small like a hundred bucks maybe. Assuming the issues on his pin don't get any worse, I don't see them as anything that would prevent me from enjoying the pin. If I went to his house and played that pin at a party, there is no way I would have noticed any of those "blemishes."

I'll repeat what I said earlier. There will be variances in one PF to the next. That does not mean that one that has a (negative) variation will be entitled to replacement by the manufacturer.

The implied warranty of merchantability would apply here, and nothing on his PF indicates to me that there is a breach of that implied warranty.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If a game is brand new, it should be BETTER than a HEP restore job.. because its brand new.

lol

Nope.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So, a brand new $8,000 machine - right from the factory floor - brand new playfield, cabinet, boards, lights, wiring, hardware etc is not expected to be as nice as a HEP restore?

That's correct.

I'm surprised that you don't know this, but I guess you are still pretty new to the hobby.

Quoted from kpg:

Please Rob do tell me what HEP could possibly do better than build a game with brand new parts right from the get go? I am kind of confused.. brand new is brand new. A restore is a restore.

Spend some time reading the HEP threads, or some of the threads by other great restorers such as McCune. Lots of improvements over what you would have got even from a NIB B/W pin.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Been playing pinball since I was a kid, only about 1.5years ago since I started collecting them so you are right. Never seen a HEP pin in person.
Interesting - I know they are the best in the biz, but what does HEP to a playfield that should be expected to be better than a brand new playfield? More clear coat? What is he doing that Stern hasn't figured out as far as playfield defects?

I would have linked you to some of Chris Hutchins youtube videos that showed his process, including a couple that showed exactly what he does to a reproduction PF from Mirco. In fact, one of the videos that he posted he was actually working on the Mirco MB playfield that I sent him as part of the MB restoration that I was having Jim McCune do. Unfortunately Chris takes his videos down after a certain amount of time so it's no longer available.

Vid said it well!

Sometimes a picture (video) is worth a thousand words. This is my MB that McCune restored and HEP did the PF.

You gotta get over here to play it!

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Dude... wtf? No love for Bryan Kelly?

Who?

#648 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The thicker the clear, the more likely the inserts will ghost.

Right. Also, the more pronounced the dimpling that people complain about.

Quoted from Msch:

I don't think hep is going to sand the clear off the playfield and reshoot it

Why not? That's exactly what he has done in the past. That's what he did with my MB reproduction PF that was brand new. It had too much clear on it. That's right...too much clear, which can cause various problems, including fitment of the parts on the PF as well as what Vid1900 mentioned.

People have even sent their NIB pins to Chris in order to have him do various things to them...to make them better than NIB.

#689 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

And owning Lyman games early blows, see BM66. His games are the best in the end, worst from the start. IMO.

Exactly right. I didn't buy AC/DC or MET early on, and it paid off because by the time I bought them there had already been a few updates, and a few more quickly after I bought them. I bought TWD about 6 months after release and had a similar pattern.

Dwight pins seem to be very close to being "done" from the start, meaning there won't be much change down the road, which seems to be the polar opposite of Lyman pins.

#736 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

PS- we bought our Arcade Expo 3.0 tickets for Friday March 17th - only $22 on Goldstar per ticket right now. You and Rob should go!

I'll definitely be there!

Quoted from kpg:

I just want a really fun game. STLE's shots were fun but I didn't find the code and objectives fun.

Couldn't agree more.

2 weeks later
#1026 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

My point is that your terrorist-like approach has gotten you nowhere, and you can't seem to understand why.
Since you're the butt of the joke, I'm not surprised you don't find it funny.

Completely over the line.

Talk about not being funny.

#1027 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What does not make sense?
Stern is not required to buy back your game.
The problem you have is specifically EXCLUDED under their written warranty.
So if they generously offered to buy back your game, but then saw online that you were continuing to badmouth their company....you really can't blame them if they retract their offer.

This is completely bogus, and I am surprised that you would make this kind of claim Vid.

I don't give a shit what Stern or any other manufacturer puts in their warranty, or excludes from their warranty for that matter, as there is an implied warranty of merchantability that all products sold carry. I have seen his GBLE and there is no way that he would not be entitled to compensation for the defective pin that he was sold.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Interesting investment philosophy.....ranks right up there with determining your investment by the number of cars in the parking lot.

This doesn't even make sense.

Surely you can understand the simple point he was making?

#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Smartest move you've made yet by far. Such a great pin!
We are such fickle pinheads.

He didn't say he was keeping it after he puts the new pf in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.75
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 103.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=RobT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.