IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ExtremePinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Stern knows the playfield issues aren't resolved. Yet they continue to put them in their machines and sell them. That's about as dishonest as a business can get.

A statement worth repeating.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They are fixing the small % of defects when they arise.

I keep reading about the "small percentage". Another poster claims 1-2% of the playfields are affected.

Allow me to introduce a healthy dose of Reality:

1. The Ghostbusters pro at The Pinball Hall of Fame is ghosted in multiple inserts. Witnessed it personally 3 days ago.
2. My Ghostbusters pro at NYNY is ghosted in multiple inserts.
3. My Ghostbusters LE at Fremont Arcade is ghosted in multiple inserts.

So to clarify, 100% of the Ghostbusters playfields, that I have personally seen, are defective.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Apparently they ship out with no defects.
How would you like them to know what will happen in the future?

By looking at the past, that's how. Stern has managed to produce hundreds of thousands of pinball machines over the last 30 years without a ghosting issue. Suddenly, in the last year or so, defective playfields are popping up all over. Therefore, something changed in the last year or so.

FIX WHAT CHANGED. Problem, solved.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I can believe Stern is cutting costs on soothsayers and fortune tellers.
Also I'm sorry your game is ghosted, but those have to be some of the most high traffic machines around. And trafficked by extremely, extremely drunk people at that.
I can't say I'm surprised they're damaged.

Perhaps you can explain why all of my other playfields ARE NOT DAMAGED, even though they've been there longer, and have more plays on them.

#353 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My GBLE has zero issues and I don't route it. I'll take pictures so you can bring your % down to 75%
Did the look of the inserts cause people to spend less $$$ playing it?
Did Stern say they weren't going to replace those PF's? They have already lost your business correct?
How have the other Stern PF's you have held up by comparison?

No.
No. Yes, but for more QC and cost cutting reasons than just this playfield issue.
Perfectly.

I'll add KPG's playfield to bring the percentage back up to 80%.

#357 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So with the "perfectly" comparison you would acknowledge that they could end up fixing the issue at some point and get it right again?
Those GB's are good earners aren't they? You've done great with Iron Man Ve and Tron (i think that was the other one)?
And i wouldn't route pinball machines either!

Oh, they could, absolutely. That doesn't mean they'll be able, or even willing, to fix their other lack of quality control issues though.

Did you get your BM66 yet? As a collector, it probably doesn't matter that they didn't install a protective piece of plexi, or glass, over the LCD screen. Nope, in typical cost cutting fashion, the LCD is fully exposed to anybody that wants to stick their fingers, knives, etc., or maybe carve their initials right into the LCD screen. Then again, for a lousy $10,000, maybe my expectations are too high.

The Ghostbusters is an outstanding earner. So well, that I'll be taking my GBLE out of Fremont Arcade and placing it at NYNY to let it earn too.

Yes, IMVE & Avatar LE. I don't have a Tron. I've done great with almost every pin that I've placed at NYNY... except Mustang & WWE. But there aren't many locations that see 1.2 million visitors annually. So while pinballs do well there, they're still at the bottom of the revenue stream compared to my video arcade games.

Of course you wouldn't route your pinballs.... you're not an operator.

Remember, I was previously committed to buying a pro and an LE of almost every pin they put out. That ended with GB.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is WWE still at Nyny?
Gonna be there in a couple of weeks.
Haven't played that one yet

No, I moved it over to the Fun Dungeon at Excalibur next door. I have a TF pro there too.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Surely that has to be an oversight? Could it have been left out during assembly?
Can others confirm their games are like this too?

Ok, maybe. I can only comment on the one at PHoF that Tim bought.

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All the **worry pics** everyone has sent me so far were just normal dimples on new playfields.
100,000 games latter, it will all level out nicely.

And as everybody here knows, collector pins easily rack up 100,000 plays in no time....

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Been awhile since i read this thread, but....

I imagine this is directed towards me from the other thread. I like how you twist words around and continue to do so; for the record, i said a small % of playfields (in general, not just ghostbusters) were affected from EXTREME DISINTEGRATING UNPLAYABLE CONDITIONS like KPG's. Just want to keep the facts straight.
Listen extreme pinball; i like you and what you do for the hobby. You have some of the nicest games on route and ive gone to bat for you in other threads stating this. But please stop twisting my words around like you did in the other thread and this one (if this is directed towards me). I feel for you and anyone dealing with these playfield issues i really do. Are your pins inoperable due to ghosting inserts? What has your distributor said about this issue? are you on the list for sterns replacement program? Can you share your pics you sent stern to get on the replacement program?

It was most certainly not directed at you. It is directed at all of the repeated (from multiple sources) bullshit speculation that "only a small percentage" of playfields are affected. Based on what?!?! Based on the one playfield somebody saw that looked fine when they unboxed it????

Of the 3 playfields I have personally viewed, all 3 have ghosting, and crater size divots. Two of them are mine and appeared fine NIB..... that didn't last. The third is at the PHoF. Another poster, either in this thread or another, has stated that 4 of the 4 playfields the poster saw where ghosted. 100% failure rate is not a small percentage to me.

Understand that I have personally unboxed, tested, prepped and played no less than 2 dozen brand new Stern games in the last 2.5 years. Until GB, I had never seen craters this large, nor have I seen a single ghosted insert.

Inoperable? No. Unacceptable? You bet it is. Unfortunately I HAD faith in this company to increase their QC after the previous debacles they put out, not to just totally give up on QC. It is clear, going back to at least TWD, that Stern does not even bother to test their own finished product, or, they KNOW the games have issues, but ships them anyway and roll the dice. When EVERY shot up Bicycle Girls ramp on an TWDLE results in a launched air ball, and then months later they put out a "fix", it supports what I've just stated above. When a complete lack of ability to make the orbit on a GoTLE, which is then fixed with a code change so the orbit isn't necessary, it supports what I've just stated above. Do I really need to bring up the fact that the code is buggy and unfinished on EVERY game they produce?!?!?!

I built my entire business based on quality, not quantity. Stern is no longer producing quality, they've opted for quantity. They can keep their quantity. If I should decide to buy a BM66 or an Aerosmith.... or any other future title, it will be in the secondary market.... after the first sucker dealt with all of the flaws, defects, issues, and lack of code.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

i have seen a difference between buying 1st production NIB games vs late production NIB games whether it was last year, or 5 years ago. I've finally got sick and tired of being the guinea pig and stopped buying in on these early model production games. It sucks for operators more than home buyers though because it's their business to make money and keep the business rolling. At least for home collectors we can have the luxury of waiting and pick n' choose how we so desire.

Well I'm in a similar, but worse, situation as I'm now disappointed as both an operator, and a collector. I was buying at least 1 pro and 1 LE of every title. Many titles even more. That ended. Not even JJP. Way too many problems. I may try one of the newer companies, but in a commercial/tourist environment, I need Licensed & Branded titles to earn a living. MMR & DI simply won't earn for me.

To make it even worse, I'm the technician in my arcade business, so I really don't want my only hobby to be "just like work", so to speak. So, as an operator, I'm buying a lot more video arcade games this year, and as a collector, I've already taken up a new hobby.

With all that said, I'm not totally giving up on pinball. I'm just going to limit all of my purchases to the local secondary market where I can personally inspect the condition of every game. Buyer beware.

#584 7 years ago

I was reading some industry news this morning when I stumbled across a brief article regarding customer service. It lists 10 facts about customer service. I've included the first 5 facts below. Numbers 2 & 3 is what puts companies out of business. The second 5 are just historical references (first ever customer complaint, inventor of 800 number, etc).

1. Consumers are 2 times more likely to share their bad customer service experiences than their good ones. (Source: Salesforce.com)

2. 63% of U.S. customers say they have stopped doing business with a brand due to a poor customer service experience. (Source: Microsoft)

3. For every customer complaint, there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent. (Source: Providesupport.com)

4. It takes 12 positive experiences to make up for one unresolved negative experience. (Source: Providesupport.com)

5. By 2020, the customer will manage 85% of the relationship with an enterprise without interacting with a human. (Source: Fonolo.com)

#706 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No... I'd argue that Sterns funking job. It shouldn't be up to a single developer to finish it.
Stern should PAY their engineers to finish the damn code within 3 mths. End-Of-Story. The fact they don't and we the sheeple keep buying their junk speaks volumes.

Slow down now. I may be an asshole, but I'm not a sheeple. I stopped buying the product completely.

And buyers like me will matter. I own a fairly large arcade company. I NEED to spend at least $280,000 on new arcade equipment this year for tax reasons. I really don't give a shit what I spend it on, as long as I spend it. That was the potential market Stern had in this one customer. But the reality is that earnings don't mean shit if I'm constantly getting service calls, on top of the need for monthly cleaning & service. So I refuse to purchase another NIB Stern pinball until things change.

Bottom Line: Fix the obvious lack of testing prior to release, fix the multiple poor quality issues, ship the games with complete code, needing ONLY an update or two for finishing touches, and perhaps I'll give Stern a crack at the $300,000 I'll need to spend in 2018.

2 weeks later
#905 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It's not like Stern was going to screw everyone until KPG the savior came along. Just nuts.

Correct!!! There just aren't enough KPGs to influence Stern to correct their obvious, continuing, and multiple lack of quality control standards.

So yes, Stern IS just going to continue to screw everyone that still hands over their money, sight unseen.

#992 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Absolutely no disagreement here. But a story such as the one suggested tars the image of the entire hobby.

It most certainly does not!

A story such as the one suggested can only serve to tar the image of the current industry leader of the hobby (Stern pinball), not of the hobby itself. Stern has options. They've chosen to ignore and alienate their own customers.

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I can always tell a Pinsider's car when I see one parked somewhere.
It's the Honda with a bra on the front; protecting it from vicious stones.

I have a clear bra on the entire front end of my Lamborghini. So what's your point?!?!?!

#997 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Actually there is evidence. How many ghosted playfields have you seen lately?

How many have I seen lately? Aside from the half dozen or so in Las Vegas alone.... I'm not stupid enough to buy another NIB just to see if they fixed the problem.

#1002 7 years ago

Am I a douche for buying a car instead of a truckload of defective pinball machines?

Or am I a douche for having a clear bra on the front of my car to avoid..... eh, let's use the word, divots?

#1004 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

lambo + bra = double douche bag

So I'm NOT a double douche for buying $250k+ worth of pinball machines, but I AM a douche for buying a car with a clear bra. Got it.

Haters gonna hate.

#1005 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

lambo + bra = double douche bag

I upvoted your post. If I could only get Double Douche approved by DMV on a license plate, I'd do it: DBLDOUSH

#1013 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think DOUCHE2X would be perfect for you.
If that's taken, then D-BAG or TOOL would be reasonable substitutions.

Wow. Thanks for your contributions to this thread. Clearly you've decided to stay off topic and continue to make this personal.

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think it's different this time around.
If you buy a 2500 quantity DI for $9500 delivered you are guaranteed to lose a grand the minute you take it out of the box
It's not gonna sit well with the short term buyers who take a beating day one.
That will be true with most every Nib
I say so what, but how many people even play their pins now. They do protect the shit out of them though

You say "so what" because you simply haven't reached your threshold on value/risk/reward. I'm way past mine, both as a collector, and an operator. I won't buy another NIB again. When I decide to bring fresh pins into NYNY, they'll be used. I'll personally shop them & mod them prior to location, but they will be used.

Quoted from kpg:

My point is it can still work that way- you buy a pin right now at a great price, play it a lot and maintain it well, and you can sell it close to what you bought it for, and in some cases- more. What's hard to decipher and comprehend that the price increases mean that NIB buyers will take larger depreciation hits then in the past?

With this I also agree. But from a different stand point. As an operator, I learned that I could ROI on a $5k pin in two years, then sell it and get 80%, or more, of my investment back. Or even keep it another two years, make even more money, then sell it for 70%, or more, of what I paid. So I bought 40 or so NIB & HUO pins.

What I failed to calculate is just how poorly pinballs earn, and even worse....just how much freaking time it takes to maintain them. And there is the catch. My time is the single most valuable asset that I have. So even though I might buy a NIB arcade game for $10k, and only get 25% of that when selling after 3-4 years, it has earned me 5x-10x the money a pair of pinball machines would have. And most importantly, the video arcade game consumed almost none of my time.

Now bring that pinball cost up to an average of $7k-8k, reduce the quality exponentially, and you just kissed my fat ass goodbye.

#1071 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm thinking these pins with all the surface mount boards are gonna be a problem long term.
Who is going to inventory all of these 10 yrs from now and will there even be many techs left to service pins?
Seems to me these pins are barely made for Huo. I wouldn't route these either like Extreme P has discovered recently. ROI on overall poor quality high priced pins for commercial use doesn't jive

Since I have some high mileage pins still working well, without any board issues, I may be inclined to disagree. Automobiles have been using SM boards for years, and they take a hell of a lot more hardcore abuse than pinball machines.

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People keep saying the same thing about Harley-Davidson, yet here we are at $40K and rich old men keep on buying them.

That is true. And there are a whole lot more "rich old men" today, than ever. But a Harley is more of an image thing, and less of a hobby. IMO

#1111 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

No a over priced sport car is a image thing riding a bike is a lifestyle to many

Just for entertainment purposes, define "over priced".

4 weeks later
#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The new playfield just arrived today... will install it and see if it arrived without issue!

..... I'm waiting.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.99
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ExtremePinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields?tu=ExtremePinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.