IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 26.
#201 7 years ago

We have a winner!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Looks like the machine is missing an entire lane guide. You can see the two end holes.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Is that Skin in the game??!! Do I have Skin now??! Am I in the game??!!

At this point, "Skin in the Game" is the official motto of Pinside.

#203 7 years ago

Getting close to the goal on the petition

I know there are people upset that someone like myself is putting Stern on blast. Maybe you also don't know I have been told for months my PF would be replaced, even by Gary Stern himself. I was told various months, and now no one responds to me- and Stern doesn't respond to my distributor.

If you can tell me I am in the wrong or to "be patient" thats fine. It's easy to sit back when you are not in my position.

The world is filled with people who sit back, get bent over, and say "oh well". You are not talking to one of those people.

My motivation here is to make Stern do what is right for not only myself, but everyone else who has purchased defective products by Stern and also have been ignored. Do not just base everything off this thread; look at the comments on the Petition page- there are so many people who need replacement PF's and are being ignored now. Many of those people say they do not want to purchase products from Stern anymore.

If you are upset people are upset at Stern, please- put yourself in their shoes. Coming into this thread and getting upset that I am upset is counterproductive and not helpful to the other side of the pinball community who have purchased defective products by Stern. I don't care if you think being patient will work out in the end, because so far, that does not seem to be the case.

Stern needs to see we demand better communication and customer service, especially if they fail at delivering a quality product. Stern can still make this right and make an official public acknowledgement of the PF replacement program and set expectations. Since they are choosing to keep us in the dark and ignore both customers and distributors inquiries, something like this must be done.

When the petition hits 100 signatures, those signatures and comments will be forwarded along with a letter to Gary Stern and Patrick Powers, and I will also file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General.

Once that is done, I will update everyone accordingly. To those who have signed the petition, thank you for your support- and thank you on behalf of other people who have purchased defective products by Stern.

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Are you genuinely curious

was genuinely curious.

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I had some very minor clear coat chipping on the side of my GBle playfield just above the outlanes (Under the outlane post). One tiny fragment of the CC flaked off. It hasn't gotten worse, and it hasn't happened anywhere else on the machine.

thanks and sorry but IMO, no you dont have skin in the game. Many of us are dealing with multiple inserts and clearcoat cracking off in major ways. We have played by the unspoken 'rules' of contacting our distributors and sending photos and documenting dates along with being quite while we wait and watching firends and others then start to be in the same predicament. We have waited and waited. We have been told specific dates that never come to fruition. We have been flat out lied to. We are tired of the BS and unfortunately see an issue in our niche market and hobby. An issue that needs to be dealt with differently.

We see a manufacturer that we have spent in some cases 40k+ on games in the past 5 years and have 20k+ with pf issues that continue to get worse.

I dont have photos readily at hand, but you get the idea....

When you dont have a major defect and are not the one getting the runaround or flat out ignored in some cases, then sorry but you really are not in the same situation.
It is insulting to many of those that are when you come in the thread just to call names and treat people like you are. I am not sure if you realize but at this party... everyone is looking in your direction.

Ghosting.jpgGhosting.jpg

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is interesting to me. Are you saying complaining publicly about a real issue is gonna have a negative impact with getting that issue resolved?
It seems Stern have shown to be petty in the past with banning guys on facebook or pinball news fellas from their factory tours. They should get over it. If they fixed these issues ina timely manner or just communicated better, there would be fewer people complaining. This conflict is entirely their fault.

Absolutely not , I'm saying step back and give them more time. I'm sure complaining and having a fit is not going to push you to the front of the line just because he's ready to sell his game

Ever hear the saying..... you get further with honey than vinegar

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Ever hear the saying..... you get further with honey than vinegar

No I haven't

Because the saying is "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

lol

#207 7 years ago

This would be a more apt saying in this situation: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

was genuinely curious.

thanks and sorry but IMO, no you dont have skin in the game. Many of us are dealing with multiple inserts and clearcoat cracking off in major ways. We have played by the unspoken 'rules' of contacting our distributors and sending photos and documenting dates along with being quite while we wait and watching firends and others then start to be in the same predicament. We have waited and waited. We have been told specific dates that never come to fruition. We have been flat out lied to. We are tired of the BS and unfortunately see an issue in our niche market and hobby. An issue that needs to be dealt with differently.
We see a manufacturer that we have spent in some cases 40k+ on games in the past 5 years and have 20k+ with pf issues that continue to get worse.
I dont have photos readily at hand, but you get the idea....
When you dont have a major defect and are not the one getting the runaround or flat out ignored in some cases, then sorry but you really are not in the same situation.
It is insulting to many of those that are when you come in the thread just to call names and treat people like you are. I am not sure if you realize but at this party... everyone is looking in your direction.

Consider me burned beyond recognition! Ouch Man, that really smarts.

I never said I was in the same situation. What I AM saying, is that if I WAS in the same situation, I would handle it differently. I have been in the situation of having unacceptable game defects on MANY occasions, with EVERY current manufacturer. In every case, the situation has been rectified calmly, and professionally. Without whining or any stress on my part, because I expect issues, and handle them as they arise. No stress, no problem. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun.

ONCE AGAIN, I feel for anybody with serious issues. I hope their issues will be addressed sooner than later. We are seeing it happen. I suppose we just have different approaches to a problem.

I'm going to go play some pinball, cause THIS party blows! Over and Out! Haha

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

No I haven't
Because the saying is "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
lol

Do whatever you like as it's not my bad PF. Not the approach I would take.

#210 7 years ago

What staggers me is that Stern didn't sort out KPG quickly as they are going to get a whole load of extra grief now. That in itself is a massive miscalculation on their part and it wasn't exactly difficult to predict!

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

So when i called Stern the day i got my replacement playfield and told them i could tell what they did and they denied it and told me a lie about how all the Pros having the misspelling on the playfield not just the old made ones what am i suppose to do? Get on a plane and go to there office? Keep calling and telling them there lying? Or let everybody know what happen so they dont have to experience the issues themselves?

You contact your credit card company and complain. Initiate a charge-back. I can (nearly) guarantee that would get someone's attention.

#212 7 years ago

Has anyone contacted the Better Business Bureau? How about the state Attorney General? Make someone at The Consumerist aware. Hell, make a contact at McClatchy or the New York Times. News like this sells more papers and gets more clicks on their website.

I'm 100% serious. Get some attention from outside of the pinball community. General business advocates. As is mentioned several times on this thread, the pinball community is a small, close-knit group. Expand the issues beyond that group. No company wants negative attention coming at them from all directions.

#213 7 years ago

Hi Gary, i'm gonna break some shit up in here

Bull (resized).jpgBull (resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Has anyone contacted the Better Business Bureau? How about the state Attorney General? Make someone at The Consumerist aware. Hell, make a contact at McClatchy or the New York Times. News like this sells more papers and gets more clicks on their website.
I'm 100% serious. Get some attention from outside of the pinball community. General business advocates. As is mentioned several times on this thread, the pinball community is a small, close-knit group. Expand the issues beyond that group. No company wants negative attention coming at them from all directions.

Yes there are many options! But getting certain entities involved could actually harm the legal part of things. Attorney General and BBB are all great, but none will force them make it right. Those are just the prerequisites for any type of legal proceedings, if it goes that far once the complaints are filed.

#216 7 years ago

I've gotten my playfield. Maybe you need a better distributor and to stop bitching about it on pinside. Stern reads these threads, they really do. I'm sure your names have been pushed to the very last of the program because you complain about their company every time I check pinside. You two(kgb and whysnow) are ALWAYS on pinside. It's creepy. Get a life, go outside, relax. The machine hasn't even been out a year yet.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I've gotten my playfield. Maybe you need a better distributor and to stop bitching about it on pinside. Stern reads these threads, they really do. I'm sure your names have been pushed to the very last of the program because you complain about their company every time I check pinside. You two(kgb and whysnow) are ALWAYS on pinside. It's creepy. Get a life, go outside, relax. The machine hasn't even been out a year yet.

So, I didn't want to post in threads like this because I believe the way to go about things is contact Stern directly and go from there. On December 26th I contacted Gary Stern directly and let him know of my situation of my GBLE ghosting. To my surprise, he replied to my email like 10 minutes later and told me that he would personally take care of it. In addition, he included his cell phone number and asked me to please enjoy the rest of my holiday. My distributor is also involved and I am confident I will receive something in return to correct my situation.

I'm not saying what percentage, but I feel like many on here just come here to complain rather than get off of their duffs to write a well thought out email to rectify their situation. I did not come forward a month ago because I assumed that was the case.

Anyway, I'll let you know of my results but in the meantime, be wary of threads like this and if you want results quickly by all means DO NOT sign this stupid petition.

#218 7 years ago

What the fuck happened to the self imposed ban on using "Skin in the Game" on Pinside?

Contract must have only gone till 2016.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Stern's defense will just be that it's a commercial piece of vending equipment.

Then they will point out what is covered under their warranty.

Then they will point out that they have been replacing playfields outside of warranty, even though they are not required to do so.

stern-warranty-jpg (resized).jpgstern-warranty-jpg (resized).jpg

#220 7 years ago

Good luck with your efforts.
Maybe Stern will someday change their warranty practices for consumers.

Other GBLE owners well outside of PinSide community seemed to have more success including operators.
Things seemed to be moving along at whatever pace Stern chooses.
Playfields were being exchanged, how many overall I have do not know, just the five I am aware of personally.
They seemed satisfied, although I did not get out my jeweler glasses and evaluate all the playfields.
There never seemed to be a consensus of how many defective playfields in games were actually shipped prior to the temporary halt of production. For general reminder, GBLE game is not the only title that had problems, both in other GB models, and other titles.
GB Pro (early), GOT, MET, SMVE, maybe even TWD (I cannot remember).

This is just being objective.

I am not entirely a huge supporter of Stern right now based on basic game feature reductions in comparison to value of cost, so you are not going to see a fanboy status out of me here for any real company that has been making pinball machines in the past 15 years.

Stern certainly reads these forums, but it staggering that people believe that a handful of people on these forums makes up the primary pinball audience of buyers. We are not the ones that were targeted. Most do not have accounts. In many cases, we know better than to buy into hype, or shill excessive cash in a basically identical product from other versions of the same game.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

The programme where they ignore the vast majority of cases, then select a few people they think they might be able to sucker. Then pull out an old known-defective playfield, and cack-handedly try to wipe out date stamps, then re-stamp / label them with a later date that they think people will believe are fixed (or Churchill). These then ghost or lose clear in a few dozen plays, then when called out on it they throw their arms up in denial and offer no further resolution.

Sounds awesome. Why would anyone complain? Exemplary service.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

So, I didn't want to post in threads like this because I believe the way to go about things is contact Stern directly and go from there. On December 26th I contacted Gary Stern directly and let him know of my situation of my GBLE ghosting. To my surprise, he replied to my email like 10 minutes later and told me that he would personally take care of it. In addition, he included his cell phone number and asked me to please enjoy the rest of my holiday. My distributor is also involved and I am confident I will receive something in return to correct my situation.
I'm not saying what percentage, but I feel like many on here just come here to complain rather than get off of their duffs to write a well thought out email to rectify their situation. I did not come forward a month ago because I assumed that was the case.
Anyway, I'll let you know of my results but in the meantime, be wary of threads like this and if you want results quickly by all means DO NOT sign this stupid petition.

Right on.

You do know I did the same thing back in August right? Got the call and cell phone from Gary too.

You have only waited a week- you'll see- after being patient almost 6 months you won't be happy either.

#223 7 years ago

Thinking about buying a Met Pro.

Why is it recommended to use a credit card? Thanks!

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thinking about buying a Met Pro.
Why is it recommended to use a credit card? Thanks!

So you can do a chargeback if you get a defective playfield - I recommend using an American Express, they are the best at charge backs

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So you can do a chargeback if you get a defective playfield - I recommend using an American Express, they are the best at charge backs

I only got Chase. Is that one OK?

How long do you have until you can no longer do a chargeback?

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is it a CREDIT CARD or a DEBIT CARD that takes money from your account?

Make sure you use a credit card for online purchases.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Generally, 180 days. However, 45-60 days is recommended.

#228 7 years ago

However, Vid has written extensively about this. I don't have a link to his post, but it's something like 'how not to get ripped off buying a pinball machine.' Vid, help me out here.

#229 7 years ago

I was fully aware of Sterns warranty. Honestly they have no obligation to replace your playfield. Yes that sux but this has been discussed before

They said they would but it was not quick enough for your terms

Not sure what will happen from here but I wouldn't hold my breath

Diplomacy is always the best rt in these situations. Never burn bridges

Good luck

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Is it a CREDIT CARD or a DEBIT CARD that takes money from your account?
Make sure you use a credit card for online purchases.

I would use a CC to buy Met Pro.

#231 7 years ago

Ok so....you can just call the CC company and ask for a chargeback? How does it work really?

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Never burn bridges

+1

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I was fully aware of Sterns warranty. Honestly they have no obligation to replace your playfield. Yes that sux but this has been discussed before
Good luck

Yes they do. They are knowingly selling you defective material.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Never burn bridges

+2

Stern has burned a lot of bridges with their customers, just read the comments on the petition page and here on pinside. Good advice!

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Good luck

Stern burnt them, and they seem to be perfectly happily dousing more in petrol still.

Also, their warranty is meaningless. These are production or engineering defects.

Plus, they have to abide by legislation in other territories which is rather more favourable to the consumer. Hence why some resellers / distributors in Europe have replaced machines at their own expense - apparently with no recompense from Stern. That doesn't seem like a tenable situation, does it?

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Ok so....you can just call the CC company and ask for a chargeback? How does it work really?

I think you screw your reseller more than anyone.....Burning bridges is not a good plan

#237 7 years ago

Guys was or is Metallica really affected by all this? I keep reading about GB and SM but not so much MET.

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Guys was or is Metallica really affected by all this? I keep reading about GB and SM but not so much MET.

Yes, I had issues with mine. It was made in March 2016.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I know of a met that got a full pf swap. It was the first i had heard of issues. Stern was great with that swap, but that was before the volume of gb issues

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Yes, I had issues with mine. It was made in March 2016.

What kind of issues? They Stern resolve them?

#241 7 years ago

Here's the other issue.

I'm sure you could sell you game for full purchase price new. 7k

I don't think Sterns going to be simpathetic because you can't get 9 grand for it now

Like I said I feel you definitely deserve one but going about it on a tangent rant talking about sueing, signing petitions, constant phone calls will get you no where. If they said you were on the list I would have taken it for just that. The process only started weeks ago.

Your choice but personally I think you caused yourself a lot more grief

No right or wrong way but I know I have had positive results with patience and professionalism

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What kind of issues? They Stern resolve them?

Read this thread, and no ... hence why the thread and petition exist.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I think you screw your reseller more than anyone.....Burning bridges is not a good plan

Some say use a CC, some say don't...so confusing

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Use the credit card and don't freak out Korn!

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Use the credit card and don't freak out Korn!

LOL...good one!

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Use a CC, no problem unless you get a cash discount. Just keep in mind a charge back hits your reseller not Stern...Think four times before doing that because your reseller is your best contact with Stern.

#247 7 years ago

I'm amazed people defend Stern, I really don't understand why...was it the free tshirt that swayed you on a NIB?

KornFreak28 you saw my posts on my MET, if you buy NIB now with all that is going on and get a failed PF don't come back here crying. Just go HUO, pre metal backbox all tricked out.

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I'm amazed people defend Stern, I really don't understand why...was it the free tshirt that swayed you on a NIB?
kornfreak28 you saw my posts on my MET, if you buy NIB now with all that is going on and get a failed PF don't come back here crying. Just go HUO, pre metal backbox all tricked out.

Very true. I wish all of this gets resolved sooner rather than later....

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Here's the other issue.
I'm sure you could sell you game for full purchase price new. 7k
I don't think Sterns going to be simpathetic because you can't get 9 grand for it now
Like I said I feel you definitely deserve one but going about it on a tangent rant talking about sueing, signing petitions, constant phone calls will get you no where. If they said you were on the list I would have taken it for just that. The process only started weeks ago.
Your choice but personally I think you caused yourself a lot more grief
No right or wrong way but I know I have had positive results with patience and professionalism

You don't seem to know that this has been going on for months. Literally almost 6 months ago I was told this would be resolved.. that's not weeks. That's half of a year.

You have stated your point, and we get what your thoughts are on this matter. Why keep posting in this thread? You are clearly are not thinking in the best interest of customers who spent their hard earned money and got defective products MONTHS ago.

Thanks for your input here though, and keeping the thread bumped up for more awareness.

#250 7 years ago

They only started replacing playfields weeks ago. You can't start from the time you notified them. The Churchill playfields only started being produced again in October

That's were your totally wrong.......I am thinking in the best interest of customers that's what you don't get.

The problem is it's just not the answer you want to hear

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.