Topic Stats

• 1,257 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Schabs81
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 115 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_3257 (resized).JPG
DSC_3259 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170318_162208 (resized).jpg
IMG_1552 (resized).JPG
IMG_1550 (resized).JPG
IMG_1555 (resized).JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1251 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.
#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Can you ask the Illinois attny general, along with the New Jersey AG to look into price fixing between Stern and JJP too while you are at it?
It's the high pricing issue that is going to impact these guys in 2017, not QC
When people start figuring out all these newly minted $8500-$9500 Woz, TH, DI's AND Stern premiums and LE's $7500-$8500, won't bring anything close on the secondary market it will be back to PROS and boutique runs like BM66
High prices hit a brick wall in 2017

Prices for NIB are out of control, yes. Yet, at least buying a new JJP game won't result in getting a poor playfield that begins chipping after a couple hundred plays and dimples like moon craters. Gotta love Mirco made playfields.

Also, JJP is still offering far more value with their games in terms of features and code support then Stern. It's not even close. $8k for a Batman 66 premium? $10k for an LE? Give me a break.

#1052 2 years ago

I'm just going to LMAO at your copy and paste post Panzer.

No other comment

#1053 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

at least buying a new JJP game won't result in getting a poor playfield that begins chipping after a couple hundred plays and dimples like moon craters

Oh no? You want to see the pics of the WOZ that I owned with about 200 plays? Jack sent out stickers to cover it up. He is no better than Stern.

#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Oh no? You want to see the pics of the WOZ that I owned with about 200 plays? Jack sent out stickers to cover it up. He is no better than Stern.

Those issues sucked, no doubt. It was also JJP'S first game and some of the very first WOZ's had playfield issues. JJP also didn't put mylar down in high wear areas on early WOZ'S. That was dumb on their part and is one of the reasons why severe wear occurred between the pops and state fair area on some games. They learned and corrected the problem. That was 4 years ago. JJP switched playfield manufacturers years ago to Mirco.

I do think that JJP should have sent out populated playfields on any early WOZ that had severe wear. That problem was on JJP.

Stern has been around for 30 years and is now charging more then ever for their pins while shipping games with major playfield issues. Some owners are being told no to a replacment playfield and some that have been told yes are waiting or get a replacment playfield that has the same issue. It's a different situation.

#1055 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Imagine that...buying something, using it, and then selling it for less......Oh the humanity!

One of the reasons I got into purchasing pinball, and not just playing them at locations, was the fact they depreciate very little - even when buying NIB. I think that's the story for many of us.

All it has done is shifted me from buying NIB Sterns to only buying used from now on. I won't take the large hit that will come with these new prices vs a tiny hit that was in the past.

#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Can you ask the Illinois attny general, along with the New Jersey AG to look into price fixing between Stern and JJP too while you are at it?

Too true But after BM66 we now know Jpop was the actual ring leader the whole time

#1057 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

People will not continue to pay these insane prices.

They will gladly keep paying them.

When Transformers LE came out, everybody was bitching, but they bought them hoping they would go up in price like TRONLE.

The trend continues with every new release.

Bitch, threaten never to buy again, buy again.........

(remember I only paid $5,400 for a TRONLE, people are gladly paying almost 2x that for a LE nowadays)

#1058 2 years ago
#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yup same shit diff'rent day.
The only thing that might change with the higher the price, are the buyers. We all know Pinside likes to think "they are the pinball community;" but even if that were true it just means the affordability could be shifting away from this current group of people, to the next.

#1060 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

One of the reasons I got into purchasing pinball, and not just playing them at locations, was the fact they depreciate very little - even when buying NIB. I think that's the story for many of us.
All it has done is shifted me from buying NIB Sterns to only buying used from now on. I won't take the large hit that will come with these new prices vs a tiny hit that was in the past.

Interesting investment philosophy.....ranks right up there with determining your investment by the number of cars in the parking lot.

#1061 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Interesting investment philosophy.....ranks right up there with determining your investment by the number of cars in the parking lot.

This doesn't even make sense.

Surely you can understand the simple point he was making?

#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That he looked at a hobby in a moment in time and extrapolated that to mean thats how it always is? Surely you can understand the naivety in that or at least self-induced failure.

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What flynnibus said.....and, I was referring to a statement made in an earlier post to exaggerate the point.

#1064 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They will gladly keep paying them.
When Transformers LE came out, everybody was bitching, but they bought them hoping they would go up in price like TRONLE.
The trend continues with every new release.
(remember I only paid $5,400 for a TRONLE, people are gladly paying almost 2x that)

I don't know Vid. I think people have their limits on what they will pay for certain items, and I honestly believe that we are about there. I know I am anyway.

#1065 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic.
Just look at the post where Stern sent a guy some sandpaper and clearcoat to fix his defective playfield.. what a shitshow

The "repair kit" ouch

did they send some instructions too.

#1066 2 years ago

I think it's different this time around.

If you buy a 2500 quantity DI for $9500 delivered you are guaranteed to lose a grand the minute you take it out of the box

It's not gonna sit well with the short term buyers who take a beating day one.

That will be true with most every Nib

I say so what, but how many people even play their pins now. They do protect the shit out of them though

#1067 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That he looked at a hobby in a moment in time and extrapolated that to mean thats how it always is? Surely you can understand the naivety in that or at least self-induced failure.

How about the time in the hobby when pins were a fraction of what they cost now and they actually made people money?

My point is it can still work that way- you buy a pin right now at a great price, play it a lot and maintain it well, and you can sell it close to what you bought it for, and in some cases- more. What's so hard to understand here? I swear, the mindset around here blows me away. Always looking to twist shit in a negative way. What's hard to decipher and comprehend that the price increases mean that NIB buyers will take larger depreciation hits then in the past? What's so hard to understand? Need a picture to help comprehend such a complicated statement?

#1068 2 years ago

I'm thinking these pins with all the surface mount boards are gonna be a problem long term.

Who is going to inventory all of these 10 yrs from now and will there even be many techs left to service pins?

Seems to me these pins are barely made for Huo. I wouldn't route these either like Extreme P has discovered recently. ROI on overall poor quality high priced pins for commercial use doesn't jive

#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think it's different this time around.
If you buy a 2500 quantity DI for $9500 delivered you are guaranteed to lose a grand the minute you take it out of the box
It's not gonna sit well with the short term buyers who take a beating day one.
That will be true with most every Nib
I say so what, but how many people even play their pins now. They do protect the shit out of them though

You say "so what" because you simply haven't reached your threshold on value/risk/reward. I'm way past mine, both as a collector, and an operator. I won't buy another NIB again. When I decide to bring fresh pins into NYNY, they'll be used. I'll personally shop them & mod them prior to location, but they will be used.

Quoted from kpg:

My point is it can still work that way- you buy a pin right now at a great price, play it a lot and maintain it well, and you can sell it close to what you bought it for, and in some cases- more. What's hard to decipher and comprehend that the price increases mean that NIB buyers will take larger depreciation hits then in the past?

With this I also agree. But from a different stand point. As an operator, I learned that I could ROI on a $5k pin in two years, then sell it and get 80%, or more, of my investment back. Or even keep it another two years, make even more money, then sell it for 70%, or more, of what I paid. So I bought 40 or so NIB & HUO pins.

What I failed to calculate is just how poorly pinballs earn, and even worse....just how much freaking time it takes to maintain them. And there is the catch. My time is the single most valuable asset that I have. So even though I might buy a NIB arcade game for $10k, and only get 25% of that when selling after 3-4 years, it has earned me 5x-10x the money a pair of pinball machines would have. And most importantly, the video arcade game consumed almost none of my time.

Now bring that pinball cost up to an average of $7k-8k, reduce the quality exponentially, and you just kissed my fat ass goodbye.

#1070 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't know Vid. I think people have their limits on what they will pay for certain items, and I honestly believe that we are about there. I know I am anyway.

People keep saying the same thing about Harley-Davidson, yet here we are at $40,000 and rich old men keep on buying them.

#1071 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm thinking these pins with all the surface mount boards are gonna be a problem long term.
Who is going to inventory all of these 10 yrs from now and will there even be many techs left to service pins?
Seems to me these pins are barely made for Huo. I wouldn't route these either like Extreme P has discovered recently. ROI on overall poor quality high priced pins for commercial use doesn't jive

Since I have some high mileage pins still working well, without any board issues, I may be inclined to disagree. Automobiles have been using SM boards for years, and they take a hell of a lot more hardcore abuse than pinball machines.

#1072 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People keep saying the same thing about Harley-Davidson, yet here we are at $40K and rich old men keep on buying them.

That is true. And there are a whole lot more "rich old men" today, than ever. But a Harley is more of an image thing, and less of a hobby. IMO

#1073 2 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Since I have some high mileage pins still working well, without any board issues, I may be inclined to disagree. Automobiles have been using SM boards for years, and they take a hell of a lot more hardcore abuse than pinball machines.

Good to know. Def easy to replace if needed

#1074 2 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

That is true. And there are a whole lot more "rich old men" today, than ever. But a Harley is more of an image thing, and less of a hobby. IMO

ROI on a HD is a bit better. Know a guy basically gets a new bike every two years and pretty much gets his money back out of his previous minus maybe 10% at most. He only deals in the premium models however. But even sporties tend to hold their value pretty well considering you can get them new for less that a BM 66 SLE.

#1075 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People keep saying the same thing about Harley-Davidson, yet here we are at $40,000 and rich old men keep on buying them.

True but different items bring different prices. There are way more Harley guys out there than there are pinball guys. I bought a new Ultra Limited in 2015 and they keep calling me and wanting me to trade for a new 2017 with the new M8 motor. I told them no and that they have priced me out of the market. I could afford one financially but it has now become a matter of principal for me now and im not paying 30k for a new motorcycle. I am pretty much there with pins also. I wanted a new Batman but they can kiss my Azz at 10k, or even 8k for that matter.

I realize that im only one person and someone else will step up and buy one if I don't, but they are making a mistake imo if they run off their core customers. I just got a GB Premium but that was a one time deal only because I think the game is very special. Im back to pros now and im getting uncomfortable with the pro prices as well.

#1076 2 years ago

You could actually use HD as an example of what Stern needs to avoid. Just remember HD had some pretty lean years and quality had a part in the reason why.

#1077 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

How about the time in the hobby when pins were a fraction of what they cost now and they actually made people money?

They made money by either refurbishing them or by routing them. People didn't speculate on appreciation. Nib games always lost value as the game wasn't new anymore and residual was based on a used game market where new stock defined the upper limit except for collectible history examples.

The idea that i can buy new, I can play and sell for what I have in it or more... was not the hobby. That was a trend that started with used games that had already depreciated... and later saw appreciation due to the flood of new buyers eager to buy and comparing prices to new games. The "investment" bubble came with this flood of new money and the speculation that came with the boom and titles like star trek and Metallica . This idea is based on the market at a point in time and is not reflective of the grander trend.

Now we have seen the manufacturers react to this and look to capitalize on the eagerness... and nib prices are through the roof. When the prices get to the point the buyers shrink... the price the second hand market is willing to pay for those titles will go down even more.... because the number of buyers at the higher price point is down.

Because almost every game is going into private collections and being babied... condition will have less upside on value. There will not be a large premium for a cherry game... because most are.

The market of 2011-13 is already an alighnment that is already gone. As we enter this next phase of 8k-10k premium priced pins you can't use the expectations you formed from before to expect.

It's not "hard to understand" how people think their buys will be safe because that's what they saw before... but it's naive to think the model will keep repeating while all the other pieces have already changed.

You've already seen it with the higher priced jjp games and with stern pushing that higher price as well we will see more of it.

#1078 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

True but different items bring different prices.

Are you sure?

I just Googled it and it says all items bring the same prices.

#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Are you sure?
I just Googled it and it says all items bring the same prices.

Yep im sure, and Harley is screwing themselves big time. Once the baby boomers die off they are f*cked! This younger generation doesnt like HD's, they like the jap bikes.

#1080 2 years ago

I think we're in a classic economic bubble with Pin prices. Right now, a bunch of people that casually played them in the 70s and 80s have real disposable income. They went to the local brewpub, saw the Metallica in the corner, played it a couple of times and remembered how much fun pinball was. They bought a machine because why not; then they decided to buy a couple used machines because variety is good, and they wanted the games they used to play back in the day. They pay the ebay/craigslist price because it's available and in good condition, and they have the money.

I'm speculating that a lot of these folks, in a year or two, they'll realize the games just aren't being played that much, break often, are heavy and hard to move, and take up a bunch of space. They'll want to get rid of their games because they've got their eyes on a boat, or an RV, or whatever. Then prices are going to collapse.

#1081 2 years ago

Wanted to give an update on my personal situation with Stern.

I spoke with John Buscaglia and Patrick Powers on a conference call today. Trent had been in touch with Stern as you know for quite some time, and finally made this phone call happen. So I can't lay any blame right now, I think he really was struggling to get answers and communicate w/ Stern and get fresh info to pass on to me.

First off, I have never spoken to John, but he is awesome. He first started off apologizing and saying sorry about the communication issues I have had with Stern. He was very sincere sounding, and really came off as a good dude. Told me he came from Topps cards and he understands the collector mindset and expectations - so there was no disputing on what I think is a defect vs. Stern's definition.

John also mentioned he knows communication is a problem and they are looking into ways to bring up the level of communication with customers. I spoke my mind loud and clear about the censorship of customer's social media posts and how they are quick to reply with a snarky comment to someone on there, but silent when it comes to complaints and everything else. John agreed and said Stern is looking to improve all aspects of their communication with customers.

They have my playfield ready and after my phone call w/ John, I decided I will not move forward with a buyback request - but simply replace the playfield. He also said he read many of my posts here and yes, all of my actions here did get them to the drawing board and said many of my criticisms here he cannot defend and agreed w/ a lot of them, which was pretty cool to hear that.

John offered to overnight me the playfield replacement box, but I declined as I know that is pretty pricey. I said just knowing its coming is fine w/ me. All I want out of this is better communication and them to see customers will not stand for high priced, half assed shit with poor customer service. John was very open to listening to me and told me they are trying to improve things at Stern based feedback here on Pinside. This site DOES matter to this hobby... all of our opinions and suggestions do get read. If you have a problem, post it here as Stern does read this and it seems is taking it to heart which is great for us hobbyists.

As of right now I am very happy after talking to John today, and from what he told me - everyone else should be getting the same result as me very soon as well. Hopefully this was a great lesson for Stern in regards to manufacturing, quality control, and especially customer service.

#1082 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I spoke with John Buscaglia and Patrick Powers on a conference call today. Trent had been in touch with Stern as you know for quite some time, and finally made this phone call happen. So I can't lay any blame right now, I think he really was struggling to get answers and communicate w/ Stern and get fresh info to pass on to me.
First off, I have never spoken to John, but he is awesome. He first started off apologizing and saying sorry about the communication issues I have had with Stern. He was very sincere sounding, and really came off as a good dude. Told me he came from Topps cards and he understands the collector mindset and expectations - so there was no disputing on what I think is a defect vs. Stern's definition.
John also mentioned he knows communication is a problem and they are looking into ways to bring up the level of communication with customers. I spoke my mind loud and clear about the censorship of customer's social media posts and how they are quick to reply with a snarky comment to someone on there, but silent when it comes to complaints and everything else. John agreed and said Stern is looking to improve all aspects of their communication with customers.
They have my playfield ready and after my phone call w/ John, I decided I will not move forward with a buyback request - but simply replace the playfield. He also said he read many of my posts here and yes, all of my actions here did get them to the drawing board and said many of my criticisms here he cannot defend and agreed w/ a lot of them, which was pretty cool to hear that.
John offered to overnight me the playfield replacement box, but I declined as I know that is pretty pricey. I said just knowing its coming is fine w/ me. All I want out of this is better communication and them to see customers will not stand for high priced, half assed shit with poor customer service. John was very open to listening to me and told me they are trying to improve things at Stern based feedback here on Pinside. This site DOES matter to this hobby... all of our opinions and suggestions do get read. If you have a problem, post it here as Stern does read this and it seems is taking it to heart which is great for us hobbyists.
As of right now I am very happy after talking to John today, and from what he told me - everyone else should be getting the same result as me very soon as well. Hopefully this was a great lesson for Stern in regards to manufacturing, quality control, and especially customer service.

That all sounds great but talk is cheap and you should have never been put in this situation in the first place. I have an idea for John, stop "trying" to imorove communication and just effin do it. Its not hard at all, even an idiot could figure out how to have good communications with their customers. Good grief!

#1083 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

They have my playfield ready and after my phone call w/ John, I decided I will not move forward with a buyback request - but simply replace the playfield.

Smartest move you've made yet by far. Such a great pin!

We are such fickle pinheads.

#1084 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

They really do love pinball KPG. I'm glad things are looking better. Hopefully you can get back to normalcy soon. Good luck.

#1085 2 years ago

KPG you should tell them to give you a new Aerosmith for all your troubles.

#1086 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This younger generation doesnt like HD's, they like the jap bikes.

I thought HD was a Jap bike.

Aren't they owned by Kawasaki or something like that?

#1087 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No but they do have some foriegn parts on them now from what I understand. I'm not a hardcore Harley guy at all. I just like their new Rushmore bikes and I bought one.

#1088 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Smartest move you've made yet by far. Such a great pin!
We are such fickle pinheads.

He didn't say he was keeping it after he puts the new pf in.

#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No, but they are making the Street 500, Street 750, and several other models in India. I THINK the India-built models stay overseas but I'm not 100% sure on that. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/3-more-harley-davidson-bikes-to-be-made-in-india-55932.html

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

glad to hear things worked out in the end! Did you offer an apology to them for the way you expressed some of your opinions on here? Just wondering. It seems like all it took was your distributor to finally arrange the 3 way call. I think somone suggested just try being a human and talk to them about 3 pages back!

#1091 2 years ago

And yes, who-dey.. I realise it shouldn't of got to this point!

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think people have their limits on what they will pay for certain items, and I honestly believe that we are about there. I know I am anyway.

Last month- I don't think any pinball machine is worth more than $5000 and I will never pay more than that for any machine.

This month- That Batman premium I just picked up is awesome!

#1093 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Thank you for the update, I'll believe it when I see it. Stern is so full of shit! 2017 and they don't know how to communicate, but they sure know how not too. Glad you brought up the typical Pinside points, but if they cared they would unblock everyone on Facebook as a gesture of goodwill, Whats that take, 10 minutes.

You were NUTS not to accept the overnight shipping.

Btw I spoke with a friend at the Missouri attorney general today and the big triggers are multiple people affected and across state lines so your signed petition is a big key to eventual attorney general involvement. Anything over 15 claimants and they usually will eventually investigate a company fyi.

#1094 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

No, but they are making the Street 500, Street 750, and several other models in India. I THINK the India-built models stay overseas but I'm not 100% sure on that. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/3-more-harley-davidson-bikes-to-be-made-in-india-55932.html

Well to sell in India, a large percentage of the product has to be made in India so there is that.

#1095 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

glad to hear things worked out in the end! Did you offer an apology to them for the way you expressed some of your opinions on here? Just wondering. It seems like all it took was your distributor to finally arrange the 3 way call. I think somone suggested just try being a human and talk to them about 3 pages back!

No apology needed on KPG's end. They should actually apologize to him, give him his new playfield, and then do something a little extra for him like offer him a discount on his next purchase or buy him and his family a nice steak dinner or something.

#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No apology needed on KPG's end. They should actually apologize to him, give him his new playfield, and then do something a little extra for him like offer him a discount on his next purchase or buy him and his family a nice steak dinner or something.

They offered to overnight playfield and he declined. Must not of been so urgent after all..

#1097 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

They offered to overnight playfield and he declined. Must not of been so urgent after all..

At this point, the knucklehead from Stern should have shipped it overnight without asking his customer.

#1098 2 years ago

What about the chuckle head who declined to accept over nite delivery? All bark ..no bite. Would of costed stern too much money he didn't think they should spend? Hahah. He also said EVERYONE will be getting playfields who has a bad one.. not just the douche bags on the internet. So how does this help?!

#1099 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Give me a break dude. Like it even matters at this point after fighting with them for the last 8 months.

#1100 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

What about the chuckle head who declined to accept over nite delivery? All bark ..no bite. Would of costed stern too much money he didn't think they should spend? Hahah. He also said EVERYONE will be getting playfields who has a bad one.. not just the douche bags on the internet. So how does this help?!

You should be glad that chuckle head raised so much hell. Maybe Stern will up their quality because of it or replace your bad playfield now if you ever are in his position.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 93.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 11.95
Sale Pending!
New Albany, IN
There are 1251 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside