IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.
#801 7 years ago

Suddenly a $5000 TwilightZone doesn't seem so crazy!

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I have noticed at least 5 of my inserts in my GOT pro have ghosting. Doesn't affect game play at all and unless your a pinball snob, you wouldn't even notice it. What should I do or how are people moving forward with this issue?

Contact your distributor and hope for the best

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from nowakster:

except of reports of no ghosting on some machines from november...

Agreed....that doesn't mean all problems are solved by any means, but I think it means something has been identified and corrected for sure. I feel much better right now about it than I did six months ago. Nobody seems to be acknowledging that for some reason.

#804 7 years ago

Do any of these GB or other playfields that are having issues have a stamped date of 11/16 or after ? I think that would be pretty important bit of information as it puts a date of reference on things.

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Do any of these GB or other playfields that are having issues have a stamped date of 11/16 or after ? I think that would be pretty important bit of information as it puts a date of reference on things.

If there are bad ones after November, there aren't many. There is always going to be some bad playfields no matter what, it happens even in the best of times. What matters is that your problem gets taken care of....in a timely manner of course.which hasn't been the case. People are mad which is understandable but they also probaly didn't want to send out new playfields without knowing the problem was fixed. Bad situation for both sides.

#806 7 years ago

Update: Buyback from Stern isn't going anywhere so far, they are giving Trent, my distro, a bunch of shit and not getting back to his repeated calls and emails.

I'll never buy a POS Stern ever again.

If you ever play the Stern NIB lotto again, I hope you don't get a defective product like me - what a goddamn joke this company is !

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Update: Buyback from Stern isn't going anywhere so far, they are giving Trent, my distro, a bunch of shit and not getting back to his repeated calls and emails.
I'll never buy a POS Stern ever again.
If you ever play the Stern NIB lotto again, I hope you don't get a defective product like me - what a goddamn joke this company is !

Disappointing. I still haven't had any word about my replacement. I really hope that they're not walking back on this. I don't get why there's been absolutely no word.

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't get why there's been absolutely no word.

Yeah I don;t know why they're draggin' their feet with you 2 guys
not making light of your situation mind you.

#809 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I don;t know why they're draggin' their feet with you 2 guys
not making light of your situation mind you.

I'm not the customer, the distributor is. Stern has a distributor that needs a replacement playfield. In kpg's case, they do know his distributor and situation, but I don't know of a single LE owner that has had their playfield replaced. Stern is dragging their feet overall. Again, if they're not ready, they're not ready. They can at least SAY SOMETHING though. Give an update. That wouldn't be hard at all to do.

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

They can at least SAY SOMETHING though. Give an update. That wouldn't be hard at all to do.

It is hard for them.
So the replacement PF that went out have all been Pros?

#811 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It is hard for them.
So the replacement PF that went out have all been Pros?

I think we've seen a premium or two get replaced, but one of them had chipping right away again. I'm not in any rush to get the actual playfield, because I'm not sure that they have it all figured out, but I do think some communication would be nice. It's really hard to know how large the replacement scope is, because not everybody is posting about it here. If it wasn't for the 2-3 people who have posted, nobody would even know that some replacements had been sent out.

#812 7 years ago

I have so many DM's from people who have issues and getting the same treatment and complaining, not to mention all the comments on the petition page. Stern has really hurt themselves, its not like this is some huge business with a lot of potential customers. It's a niche hobby and I feel Stern is trying hard to hurt their image, not help them. It's serious bullshit at this point.

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't know of a single LE owner that has had their playfield replaced.

I do..... and he's a from my area.

#814 7 years ago

Also there is another Premium owner that had his replaced here in Pa. Its actually up for sale here on Pinside right now.

#815 7 years ago

Just got an email from stern im on the list for a new le playfeild

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I have been "on the list" for six months now. First week of September I sent my pics in and was told I was in the program.

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I got that email in August 2016 !

lol

#818 7 years ago

Definite problem! Looks like the inserts become loose under the clearcoat and get worse with heat ..play ...and wear.

The problem with Stern is getting anyone to call you back(after filling out their petty website form with your phone number) to buy specific game parts or get troubleshooting help.

The Software codes update are another problem, as all the best Software programmers get hired to work for Slot Machine companies like IGT, Aristocrat, Williams etc ..

I would wait 3+ months before buying a new title, but I guess it must be an obsession to keep buying new release Stern games one title after another...even knowing they have problems? Very few, if any increase in value like all the Bally/ Williams games used to do?

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from treasurecove:

Very few, if any increase in value like all the Bally/ Williams games used to do?

Most Bally or Williams games have not even/barely kept up with the rate of inflation.

There are a few titles that have done really well from the last 8 years of WMS existence, but there are Stern games like TRONLE or LOTR that have almost doubled in value too.

The trick is to not be holding the hot potato when the bubble bursts.

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I got that email in August 2016 !
lol

lol better than nothing at least im on the list . Im pretty sure stern is gonna wait till they know 100 percent that they have the issue resolved before they start sending out a replacement im cool with that

#821 7 years ago

but there are Stern games like TRONLE or LOTR that have almost doubled in value too.
The trick is to not be holding the hot potato when the bubble bursts.

I bought a new in box LOTR First Edition years ago..after playing about 100 games on it the Balrog completely broke in a half dozen pieces. Waited 3 weeks to get another one from Stern. That was my last Stern game. Sold it for around 4K..

#822 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

lol better than nothing at least im on the list . Im pretty sure stern is gonna wait till they know 100 percent that they have the issue resolved before they start sending out a replacement im cool with that

I wonder what their list really is though. Could be a napkin sitting under a cup of coffee on Patrick Powers desk. Trust me, I know you feel warm and cozy right now - but they are in no hurry to make things happen. But they do appreciate your patience I am sure.

#823 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I wonder what their list really is though. Could be a napkin sitting under a cup of coffee on Patrick Powers desk. Trust me, I know you feel warm and cozy right now - but they are in no hurry to make things happen. But they do appreciate your patience I am sure.

Could be written on a used condom wrapper who knows
Just know that one day the champagne bottle is gonna pop and ill toast to the good life wich reminds me anyone seen a ghost

#824 7 years ago

I bought a new in box LOTR First Edition years ago..after playing about 100 games on it the Balrog completely broke in a half dozen pieces.

I'd rather have a broken Balrog, than a MPU covered in battery corrosion.

-truth

#825 7 years ago

Damn, I hope I have a better experience than peeps on this post. My GB premium arrived at my local distributor today. They will unbox and set it up,play it for a day (i get to be there) then deliver it to my home. I am really hoping none of these problems effect me im quite worried after reading all this... are my chances decent or good receiving an updated machine with little to no problems on the pf ? doesnt sound like it...? this will be my first pin,the wife and I suck. but love it

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Damn, I hope I have a better experience than peeps on this post. My GB premium arrived at my local distributor today. They will unbox and set it up,play it for a day (i get to be there) then deliver it to my home. I am really hoping none of these problems effect me im quite worried after reading all this... are my chances decent or good receiving an updated machine with little to no problems on the pf ? doesnt sound like it...? this will be my first pin,the wife and I suck. but love it

If your game was made recently i would think you would be fine. I got a replacement playfield for my LE and have not had any issues with it. I haven't seen recent play fields with ghosting. Sure some have zoomed in on cracking in their outhole but I have seen that on basically all games recently. Just put a piece of Mylar there, and get a shooter lane cliffy set.

#827 7 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

if its a recent build you will be fine . The two PF swaps around here are perfect plus you get to see before delivery... No worries.

#828 7 years ago

The only issue I had was the scoop bulletin issue. Nothing else. The playfield is perfect Le #258 mfg Aug 2 2016. I must have got lucky on this one. The game is amazing. One of my favorites. Just needed a few adjustments and plastics on ramp and lanes.

#829 7 years ago

after playing about 100 games on it the Balrog completely broke in a half dozen pieces.

if thats all that was wrong.... then id be happy.

everything else perfect tho, right?

#830 7 years ago

Received a call Friday and was told they have been receiving playfields and stocking them for the swap and should ramp up sending out boxes in February. As others have said, they were making sure the playfields were good. My suggestion, play the crap out of what you have, be happy, and wait for the box. You might even have that new playfield before KPG gets his buyback.....lol..................

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd rather have a broken Balrog, than a MPU covered in battery corrosion.
-truth

I wonder if Stern accused him of replacing his Balrog with a broken one?

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Received a call Friday and was told they have been receiving playfields and stocking them for the swap and should ramp up sending out boxes in February. As others have said, they were making sure the playfields were good. My suggestion, play the crap out of what you have, be happy, and wait for the box. You might even have that new playfield before KPG gets his buyback.....lol..................

How about instead of trying to make "a funny" you give credit where credit is due? Obviously me turning up the heat and putting pressure on Stern has helped them speed up the process. I've noticed that since posting here, they are starting to ramp up their efforts- and I was told about the February date as well. I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence, especially since the attorney general complaint was filed and I'm sure they have been in contact with Stern and also putting pressure on them.

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I wonder if Stern accused him of replacing his Balrog with a broken one?

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

if its a recent build you will be fine . The two PF swaps around here are perfect plus you get to see before delivery... No worries.

Uh, no...one of the replacements started chipping right away.

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

give credit where credit is due? Obviously me turning up the heat and putting pressure on Stern has helped them speed up the process. I've noticed that since posting here, they are starting to ramp up their efforts- and I was told about the February date as well. I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence,

I would love to know if this is actually true...

#836 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Obviously me turning up the heat and putting pressure on Stern has helped them speed up the process.

It's hard to say.

Obviously, at some point, Stern would have identified the cause of the problem and started issuing replacements.

How do we know if a thread on Pinside helped Stern discover the causation faster, made no difference, or slowed it down?

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's hard to say.
Obviously, at some point, Stern would have identified the cause of the problem and started issuing replacements.
How do we know if a thread on Pinside helped Stern discover the causation faster, made no difference, or slowed it down?

I am sure it helped "prioritize" the program and speed things up - the petition, letter, threads, Illinois attorney general complaint, etc definitely had to put the heat on them because it wasn't helping them sell pinball machines, that's for sure.

#838 7 years ago

No, it's not for sure at all. The program has been running independently of your efforts just like the rest of pinball manufacturing.

If you had never done anything the ghosted playfields still would have been reported and Stern still would have handled reported QC issues. Same as any other business.

KPG, I commend you for trying. But correlation does not mean causation. It is possible you had an effect but there is no evidence to support that.

#839 7 years ago

Got my Pro playfield swapped today. Right away I can tell the clear coat on the game is much different than my original run playfield from March. only about 15 games into it, but nothing chipping or ghosting so far. keeping a close eye on it every few games to see if anything develops. I was interested to see what the date on it was. appears its dated the 25th day of some month in 2016, but I can't make out the month, looks mangled, guessing its probably not December. maybe its October or November? hard to say. my original playfield had a lot of crazing on the inserts, new one looks clear, very vibrant when lit up, especially the big color changing arrows for the major shots. Will be watching it closely over the next two weeks, as it should get a fair amount of play. I had photos and video of my original playfield that you could see ghosting was starting at least as early as a week after we took delivery.

Swap process was very smooth, my dealer was in and out within an hour or so, tested all the switches, made some small adjustments and we were on our way! happy with it so far, but we'll see how it goes!

Date (resized).jpgDate (resized).jpg

PlayfieldNumber (resized).jpgPlayfieldNumber (resized).jpg

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

No, it's not for sure at all. The program has been running independently of your efforts just like the rest of pinball manufacturing.
If you had never done anything the ghosted playfields still would have been reported and Stern still would have handled reported QC issues. Same as any other business.
KPG, I commend you for trying. But correlation does not mean causation. It is possible you had an effect but there is no evidence to support that.

KPG's efforts 100% helped because Stern doesn't like seeing their reputation getting smeared all over the internet believe me. I don't think he is asking anyone to bow down to him or call him a Hero or anything like that, but him raising so much hell absolutely helped. He may have hurt himself possibly if Gary or whoever holds a grudge against him now, but he did in fact get Stern off of their ass somewhat I guarantee it. All Stern had to do was have a good relationship and communicate with their customers and none of this would have ever happened. That's the part I don't understand, it could have been so easy for them and actually good for business. Now people are pissed at them and don't trust them as a company and are looking to other pinball manufacturers for better products instead of sticking with the pinball company they loved.

#841 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern doesn't like seeing their reputation getting smeared all over the internet.

That's the only thing they like.

#842 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Got my Pro playfield swapped today. Right away I can tell the clear coat on the game is much different than my original run playfield from March. only about 15 games into it, but nothing chipping or ghosting so far. keeping a close eye on it every few games to see if anything develops. I was interested to see what the date on it was. appears its dated the 25th day of some month in 2016, but I can't make out the month, looks mangled, guessing its probably not December. maybe its October or November? hard to say. my original playfield had a lot of crazing on the inserts, new one looks clear, very vibrant when lit up, especially the big color changing arrows for the major shots. Will be watching it closely over the next two weeks, as it should get a fair amount of play. I had photos and video of my original playfield that you could see ghosting was starting at least as early as a week after we took delivery.
Swap process was very smooth, my dealer was in and out within an hour or so, tested all the switches, made some small adjustments and we were on our way! happy with it so far, but we'll see how it goes!

Every swap I see happen makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully this works out for you.

#843 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Every swap I see happen makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully this works out for you.

Same here but the scribbled out date on the playfield is a little concerning......

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Same here but the scribbled out date on the playfield is a little concerning......

Not the first time they've done that either...

#845 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I was interested to see what the date on it was. appears its dated the 25th day of some month in 2016, but I can't make out the month, looks mangled, guessing its probably not December.

looks like they have purposely have put another type of stamp over the month, to make it illegible .. wow.

#846 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Looks like AUG to me. The last letter is more circular and definitely not a T, doesn't look like a V either. Could also be DEC if Stern had people working on Christmas Day.

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

looks like they have purposely have put another type of stamp over the month, to make it illegible .. wow.

Is that stamp put on by Stern or the playfield manufacturer? Is it stamped when received, in process, or completed? If it's in process and has to be reworked does it get stamped again?
Does anyone with a good playfield have a stamp that looks altered?

#848 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

I was hoping the playfield number would give some hints if someone else had one that was close to that number and had a legible date on theirs.

about 30 plays in now... No chipping in the drain so far. i've also noticed its not dimpling as much as my original did on day 1. will continue to post updates as we go. I will check in at 100 plays or a week, or first sight of clear coat problems... whatever comes first.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I was hoping the playfield number would give some hints if someone else had one that was close to that number and had a legible date on theirs.
about 30 plays in now... No chipping in the drain so far. i've also noticed its not dimpling as much as my original did on day 1. will continue to post updates as we go. I will check in at 100 plays or a week, or first sight of clear coat problems... whatever comes first.

I would Mylar the drain hole just as a precaution.

#850 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would Mylar the drain hole just as a precaution.

Yup! I just put mylar down along the edges of the drain

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Plastics
$ 49.99
There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/17?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.