IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 26.
#751 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

For the people that are having clear coat coming off at the drain hole, could a piece of Mylar be put there and stop it?

mylar before 1 ball was played. 1 month of HUO play.

20170119_105032 (resized).jpg20170119_105032 (resized).jpg

#752 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

What game is that and when did you buy it?

#753 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What game is that and when did you buy it?

GOT pro i bought NIB 1 month ago, August 2016 playfield.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not a fan of the high gloss finish on newer playfields. I very much prefer a very clean, barely even reflective, Diamond Plate playfield any day.

So, what happened to diamond plate? Where did it go and how can a manufacturer get it going again?

#755 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

For the people that are having clear coat coming off at the drain hole, could a piece of Mylar be put there and stop it?

I think the solution might be as simple to just bevel the edge slightly with a file.

Rob

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

If that doesn't get any worse I wouldn't be bothered by that at all, question is will it get worse? I also have a GOT Pro with a June 2016 playfields and so far after 700 games it still looks fine I believe. I'm gonna check it again in the morning real close.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

So, what happened to diamond plate? Where did it go and how can a manufacturer get it going again?

It's still around, but who the hell wants that milky, cloudy clear nowadays?

#758 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think the solution might be as simple to just bevel the edge slightly with a file.
Rob

Question is, why don't they bevel the edge when the playfield is routed ?

#759 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

must be a socal thing.. the shots are not that difficult nor devious. If you had to complete a warp combo.. ok. But simply a wide shot to the left.. that never rejects.. or a shot to the right where you can even use the flipper to sweep the ball in?? Not stuff to moan about.

I think you are right. I remember reading an interview with Dwight where he discussed designing the code for Stern's Star Trek.

He said he coded the game to purposely annoy people in SoCal with the mission start shot requirements. He then said, and I quote, "Guys in Virginia are going to absolutely LOVE this part of the game"

#760 7 years ago

I can accidentally hit that shot 100% of the time!

#761 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

must be a socal thing.. the shots are not that difficult nor devious. If you had to complete a warp combo.. ok. But simply a wide shot to the left.. that never rejects.. or a shot to the right where you can even use the flipper to sweep the ball in?? Not stuff to moan about.

The shot to the right isn't that tough. Neither is the shot to the left, but it's brutal if you miss it. Pretty decent chance you'll lose the ball.

#762 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think you are right. I remember reading an interview with Dwight where he discussed designing the code for Stern's Star Trek.
He said he coded the game to purposely annoy people in SoCal with the mission start shot requirements. He then said, and I quote, "Guys in Virginia are going to absolutely LOVE this part of the game"

At least you are consistent in your whining about game rules. Funny how you compared everything to hobbit... then matured and sold that off. What's your new hotness now? I love checking in on your reviews of games... from the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

The shot to the right isn't that tough. Neither is the shot to the left, but it's brutal if you miss it. Pretty decent chance you'll lose the ball.

Risk vs reward in pinball shots??? Who would have thunk it...

#764 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

At least you are consistent in your whining about game rules. Funny how you compared everything to hobbit... then matured and sold that off. What's your new hotness now? I love checking in on your reviews of games... from the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Oh really? Right on

#765 7 years ago

Here are some pics of my GB with a 11/16 build date. I personally feel they went back to Churchill. Stamped PF date. And game looks almost perfect as expected with NO protection. The divot in the shooter lane was before clear. 600 plays and the games shows nothing no but normal wear.

I or personally feel Stern has corrected the issue

IMG_6766 (resized).JPGIMG_6766 (resized).JPG

IMG_6767 (resized).JPGIMG_6767 (resized).JPG

IMG_6721 (resized).JPGIMG_6721 (resized).JPG

IMG_6724 (resized).JPGIMG_6724 (resized).JPG

IMG_6725 (resized).JPGIMG_6725 (resized).JPG

IMG_6726 (resized).JPGIMG_6726 (resized).JPG

#766 7 years ago

Get this

IMG_5578 (resized).JPGIMG_5578 (resized).JPG

#767 7 years ago

Honestly I don't think it's needed as it looks normal to my low play Sterns game from the early 2000,s

#768 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Honestly I don't think it's needed as it looks normal to my low play Sterns game from the early 2000,s

That's what my TWD (1600 plays) and GOT (700 plays) look like. Both games bought in 2016 and the GOT has a playfield date of June 2016 which was during the playfield problems. Hopefully I dodged a bullet.

#769 7 years ago

There was a problem with ghosting and clear coat and Stern admits that hence the replacement program

Right now I am a 99.9 confident that this was solved and was vendor induced

After 25 years of collecting I will continue to buy the best product in the market

#770 7 years ago

has anyone else received a replacement PF lately ?

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

I believe a couple of guys on here have shipped their playfields back to Stern and are waiting for their new playfields, so it's definitely happening looks like.

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

It was sent on the 24th.

IMG_3305 (resized).JPGIMG_3305 (resized).JPG

#773 7 years ago

Anyone who thinks that is just obtuse. Sterns CS is always is on point

#774 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

No I don't think this is stupid, if Sterns QC was on point I wouldn't find the need to tear apart my NIB pin apart and send the PF back for replacement. It is Automated's CS that was on point and with Mike's help this play field was replaced.

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

please tell me that, the CS doesn't stand for "customer service".

i would like nothing more, to see more replacement PFs get sent out, and affected buyers get looked after. its happening yes, albeit very slowly.

#776 7 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

No I don't think this is stupid, if Sterns QC was on point I wouldn't find the need to tear apart my NIB pin apart and send the PF back for replacement. It is Automated's CS that was on point and with Mike's help this play field was replaced.

So they should shut down the company just because of a vender issue Like I said obtuse.

#777 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

So they should shut down the company just because of a vender issues. Like I said obtuse.

Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand, what the hell does "obtuse" have to do with anyone talking about shutting down Stern? I happen to like Stern pinball machines, hell I just had lunch with several Pinside members and Gary Stern at the expo. I have nothing against Stern as a company.

I do however feel if Stern is going to continue to manufacture pinball machines, I expect the clear coat to stay on the PF for at least the first 20 plays.

#778 7 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand, what the hell does "obtuse" have to do with anyone talking about shutting down Stern? I happen to like Stern pinball machines, hell I just had lunch with several Pinside members and Gary Stern at the expo. I have nothing against Stern as a company.
I do however feel if Stern is going to continue to manufacture pinball machines, I expect the clear coat to stay on the PF for at least the first 20 plays.

They acknowledged that there was a problem. They are fixing the problem, they are making good on the PF issues. ...... Obtuse is totally on point ..... And as far as being insensitive. Proof is in the pudding show me on routed PF that is stamped with a Nov 2016 with clear ,or ghosting

And as far as your dealings.with Stern ........

#779 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

There was a problem with ghosting and clear coat and Stern admits that hence the replacement program
Right now I am a 99.9 confident that this was solved and was vendor induced
After 25 years of collecting I will continue to buy the best product in the market

I received a new playfield and I have clear chipping off so, no, it's not solved.

#780 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

They are fixing the problem

how? exactly are they fixing the problem????

#781 7 years ago

Hoby's new job at Stern:

IMG_3750 (resized).JPGIMG_3750 (resized).JPG

#782 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I received a new playfield and I have clear chipping off so, no, it's not solved.

That's what everyone has been telling you guys.

Don't be anxious for a new playfield, just to get a repeat heartache.

Wait until the problem is found and ACTUALLY FIXED before replacing the playfield.

Until then ---> PLAY YOUR F*CKING GAMES !!!!!!!!!

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wait until the problem is found and ACTUALLY FIXED before replacing the playfield.

How is anybody to know when Stern has actually fixed the problems? How long do you think owners should be holding off before making a claim? Does the owner have a say if and when a recplacement will be sent?
And how at all is it acceptable for Stern to replace any playfield with another faulty one (assuming they haven't figured out what the cause for the current quality issues is)?

#784 7 years ago

The "Problem" is not going to get fixed. Get used to high priced games with quality meant for location use. It is what it is.
For the same amount of money, get yourself a few nice diamond-plated B/W games already dimpled flat.

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

The "Problem" is not going to get fixed. Get used to high priced games with quality meant for location use. It is what it is.
For the same amount of money, get yourself a few nice diamond-plated B/W games already dimpled flat.

It's funny you say, because since having all my issues, I have been playing more location pinball then ever! I can have so much fun for $20 coin drop, for hours, that I'm starting to doubt having a home collection.All the GB money I had tied up for months and months and my NIB MET broke for months and now clear chipping, I realized I love paying $2 for 3 games and letting it all be someone else problem.

#786 7 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

How long do you think owners should be holding off before making a claim?

I let Stern know that I had a ghosting problem playfield (so I'm on the claim list).

I told them I'll take a swap AFTER the problem gets figured out.

Games are still shipping with problems, so I sure don't want a replacement right now.

One real distributor (not a mail order one, but a real mob run one), told me that 10% of the games are showing the problem, and Stern can't nail down the source. It appears totally random.

Quoted from fishbone:

And how at all is it acceptable for Stern to replace any playfield with another faulty one (assuming they haven't figured out what the cause for the current quality issues is)?

It's only an exercise in futility for you to keep pestering Stern for another bad playfield. So I'm sure the proud nails are getting the hammer.

#787 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

It's funny you say, because since having all my issues, I have been playing more location pinball then ever! I can have so much fun for $20 coin drop, for hours, that I'm starting to doubt having a home collection.All the GB money I had tied up for months and months and my NIB MET broke for months and now clear chipping, I realized I love paying $2 for 3 games and letting it all be someone else problem.

Sell all your games.

It's way more fun playing out in public than huddled in your basement like a hermit - let alone all the maintenance required.

#788 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sell all your games.
It's way more fun playing out in public than huddled in your basement like a hermit - let alone all the maintenance required.

So agree on this, no more worries on losing your ass off on new pinball.

#789 7 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

So agree on this, no more worries on losing your ass off on new pinball.

Exactly.

Pinball is the only hobby where people somehow expect to get their entire purchase price back when they sell something.

What percentage will you get back in 3 years when you sell your used :

Car 50%?
Golf clubs 40%?
Guitar 60%?
Bubble Hockey 40%?
Tablet 10%?
Pool table 25%?
Camera 40%?
Xbox, Playstation 30%?
Laptop 25%?
Table saw 50%?
Bicycle 40%?

#790 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sell all your games.

100% agree. Playing on location is the shizz!

Unfortunately we don't have a Logan Hardware anywhere near me. We don't really have any location pinball to speak of, save a few games scattered around the city.

I guess I am Aucklands Logan Hardware lol. I should sell $8 craft beers and coin it up!!

rd

#791 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I told them I'll take a swap AFTER the problem gets figured out.

and how long do u think that will take ...not that it will ever be publicly stated.

#792 7 years ago

Would it be too much to ask for the replacement play fields to also not have the same exact defects as the ones they're replacing?

#793 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

and how long do u think that will take ...not that it will ever be publicly stated.

**I think** it will take another year, but I don't work there.

#794 7 years ago

Has anybody received a replacement playfield yet? I am working on a YouTube episode for our Canadian Arcade channel and have a few questions to ask of anybody who has gone through the process already. I am getting my own playfield replaced this coming weekend, so am documenting my overall experience. Please PM me if you don't mind me bouncing a few questions off you.

Thanks!

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Has anybody received a replacement playfield yet? I am working on a YouTube episode for our Canadian Arcade channel and have a few questions to ask of anybody who has gone through the process already. I am getting my own playfield replaced this coming weekend, so am documenting my overall experience. Please PM me if you don't mind me bouncing a few questions off you.
Thanks!

Look at the key posts at some of the Ghostbuster threads.. you'll see posts linked.

#796 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look at the key posts at some of the Ghostbuster threads.. you'll see posts linked.

Thanks.. that helped. I reached out to a few people. Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of people who have gotten replacements yet. Saw one guy who got a replacement that also ghosted on him after 40 plays, looks like he ended up selling the thing, but that was almost 2 months ago. Hoping they have actually solved the problem since then. Guess we'll see.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Thanks.. that helped. I reached out to a few people. Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of people who have gotten replacements yet. Saw one guy who got a replacement that also ghosted on him after 40 plays, looks like he ended up selling the thing, but that was almost 2 months ago. Hoping they have actually solved the problem since then. Guess we'll see.

Zero evidence that they have solved the problem as of today :/

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Zero evidence that they have solved the problem as of today :/

except of reports of no ghosting on some machines from november...

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I would say that's pretty consistent with what I've seen. If asked, I'd throw out maybe.. a half dozen to 10 people who have posted on here they've either been swapped or have started. Probably less than that really.. but its on that kind of scale

#800 7 years ago

I have noticed at least 5 of my inserts in my GOT pro have ghosting. Doesn't affect game play at all and unless your a pinball snob, you wouldn't even notice it. What should I do or how are people moving forward with this issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.75
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.