IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.
#601 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's correct.
I'm surprised that you don't know this, but I guess you are still pretty new to the hobby.

Spend some time reading the HEP threads, or some of the threads by other great restorers such as McCune. Lots of improvements over what you would have got even from a NIB B/W pin.

Been playing pinball since I was a kid, only about 1.5years ago since I started collecting them so you are right. Never seen a HEP pin in person.

Interesting - I know they are the best in the biz, but what does HEP to a playfield that should be expected to be better than a brand new playfield? More clear coat? What is he doing that Stern hasn't figured out as far as playfield defects?

#602 7 years ago

Just got an email from Trent stating that Stern sent him an email that "all playfields are expected to be replaced by Feb". Brand new news today. Perhaps this is their way of responding to my letter, with a firm ETA?!? If so.. that's definitely good news.

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just got an email from Trent stating that Stern sent him an email that "all playfields are expected to be replaced by Feb". Brand new news today. Perhaps this is their way of responding to my letter, with a firm ETA?!? If so.. that's definitely good news.

February of 2017?

#604 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That's a week away, and considering they rejected redknights playfield, I'm guessing they only have a handful of 'approved' playfield replacements to respond to

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Alternatively: "We think me might be able to replace the three playfields we've deemed defective in the upcoming months."

Time for more popcorn.

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

And the ghosting keeps on ghosting

"Sorry but your incredibly horrible looking inserts do not warrant playfield replacement"

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's a week away, and considering they rejected redknights playfield, I'm guessing they only have a handful of 'approved' playfield replacements to respond to

I have to agree with you here....

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

"Sorry but your incredibly horrible looking inserts do not warrant playfield replacement"

Herd that before.... lol. His is much worse though!

What I would like to know is since mine is not eligible for replacement at this time and for me to wait and see if it gets worse how long do I have until its too late if it does get worse?

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

haha seriously.. you are probably right!

#609 7 years ago

They probably mean until the end of Feb....

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If a game is brand new, it should be BETTER than a HEP restore job.. because its brand new.

No way.

When HEP or I remanufacture a game, it's 200% (maybe 300% for HEP) better than a factory machine.

#611 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They probably mean until the end of Feb....

If that is the timeline to see if mine gets worse it seems like im SOL!

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

I'm pulling my GBLE play field this week and sending it back to Stern Pinball for replacement, so far Stern is acting on what they promised, they are replacing the GB play fields at this time. The GBLE was the starting point for the replacement play fields, I will update everyone on my progress. What I have found to be true, you better have purchased your pin from a respectable dealer if you expect any help after your purchase and that includes a JJ machine also.

OK you can set your stop watches the play field is on the UPS truck!

IMG_3305 (resized).JPGIMG_3305 (resized).JPG

IMG_3303 (resized).JPGIMG_3303 (resized).JPG

#613 7 years ago

Nice line up! Good luck to you sir!

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No way.
When HEP or I remanufacture a game, it's 200% (maybe 300% for HEP) better than a factory machine.

Thats awesome to know. What do you and HEP do to playfields to prevent ghosting and chipping that Stern should be doing then? Different clear coat? Maybe double hard coats and letting them cure for a while?

#615 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No way.

In car collecting, what you describe is called 'Over Restored'. Better than original.

#616 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Our distributor is on the case

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Never seen a HEP pin in person.

Interesting - I know they are the best in the biz, but what does HEP to a playfield that should be expected to be better than a brand new playfield? More clear coat? What is he doing that Stern hasn't figured out as far as playfield defects?

Picture HEP being the auto shop that takes your orange-peel BMW factory paint, and turns it into a show car.

-

BMW can't take each $90,000 M5 and give it a good 5 day paint job, so you have to take your new car in to a competent shop and let them perfect it.

The factory orange-peel paint is sanded flat, re-cleared (depending on how deep the orange peel is), and then polished to a mirror finish.

The plastic bumpers are re-cleared and polished.

The mirrors and plastic trim are tru-blacked.

After a few days of labor, you get a panty dropper - but it sure did not come from the factory that way.

#618 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Picture HEP being the auto shop that takes your orange-peel BMW factory paint, and turns it into a show car.
-
BMW can't take each $90,000 M5 and give it a good 5 day paint job, so you have to take your new car in to a competent shop and let them perfect it.
The factory orange-peel paint is sanded flat, re-cleared (depending on how deep the orange peel is), and then polished to a mirror finish.
The plastic bumpers are re-cleared and polished.
The mirrors are plastic trim are tru-blacked.
After a few days of labor, you get a panty dropper - but it sure did not come from the factory that way.

Damn.. didn't realize that.. makes total sense when you explain it that way. Now I want a HEP pin! lol.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Been playing pinball since I was a kid, only about 1.5years ago since I started collecting them so you are right. Never seen a HEP pin in person.

I would have linked you to some of Chris Hutchins youtube videos that showed his process, including a couple that showed exactly what he does to a reproduction PF from Mirco. In fact, one of the videos that he posted he was actually working on the Mirco MB playfield that I sent him as part of the MB restoration that I was having Jim McCune do. Unfortunately Chris takes his videos down after a certain amount of time so it's no longer available.

Vid said it well!

Sometimes a picture (video) is worth a thousand words. This is my MB that McCune restored and HEP did the PF.

You gotta get over here to play it!

#620 7 years ago

Good thing you weren't around in the early Woz JJP days Kpg.

Your head would have exploded

#621 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is my MB that McCune restored

Always enjoy the detailing on the inside of games restored like this.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I would have linked you to some of Chris Hutchins youtube videos that showed his process, including a couple that showed exactly what he does to a reproduction PF from Mirco. In fact, one of the videos that he posted he was actually working on the Mirco MB playfield that I sent him as part of the MB restoration that I was having Jim McCune do. Unfortunately Chris takes his videos down after a certain amount of time so it's no longer available.
Vid said it well!
Sometimes a picture (video) is worth a thousand words. This is my MB that McCune restored and HEP did the PF.
» YouTube video

Holy hell dude !!! That is amazing. Please sell it to me.. now that I'm getting my GBLE money back I want to buy a collector quality B/W game. I need to come play that thing sometime! You are right.. WAY better then NIB.. I stand corrected!!

In fact, this whole playfield debacle made me not want to buy any Sterns.. so I bought an MMR and a TZ that I'm fully restoring instead. My GBLE money will go to another classic instead too.. I'm only interested in very nice quality machines now, and no more Stern NIB lotto plays and bare bones code like what they pulled with BM66

#623 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Holy hell dude !!! That is amazing. Please sell it to me.. now that I'm getting my GBLE money back I want to buy a collector quality B/W game. I need to come play that thing sometime! You are right.. WAY better then NIB.. I stand corrected!!
In fact, this whole playfield debacle made me not want to buy any Sterns.. so I bought an MMR and a TZ that I'm fully restoring instead. My GBLE money will go to another classic instead too.. I'm only interested in very nice quality machines now, and no more Stern NIB lotto plays and bare bones code like what they pulled with BM66

Yea that's how i am now lol... only getting super nice original b/w pins or restored ones.... you sld see the fh i just picked up ...

#624 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Spend some time reading the HEP threads, or some of the threads by other great restorers such as McCune

Dude... wtf? No love for Bryan Kelly?

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I bought an MMR and a TZ that I'm fully restoring instead.

Always stick with 30 year old titles.

At least you know what to expect.

-

Did ja' hear? Sony is releasing a super-mega-remastered-50th-anniversary version of Dark Side Of The Moon.

It's supposed to sound really great, and will have all 10 songs on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Vid said it well!
» YouTube video

This monster bash is truly amazing. Most beautiful pin I've ever seen/played....next to the McCune restored AFM that rob sold dam him!

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Dude... wtf? No love for Bryan Kelly?

Who?

#628 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did ja' hear? Sony is releasing a super-mega-remastered-50th-anniversary version of Dark Side Of The Moon.
It's supposed to sound really great, and will have all 10 songs on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Vid, can you (clarify) add to this. 50 years of what?

Sony Records? Pink Floyd? Certainly not Dark Side of the Moon. That album was released in March of 1973.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hey Vid, can you add to this. 50 years of what?
Sony Records? Pink Floyd? Certainly not Dark Side of the Moon. That album was released in March of 1973.

Glad I'm not the only one he fooled. I think he was making a joke about how you don't always know what you're getting with a thirty year old item. Sometimes it's been altered.
But I love my SACD Dark Side of the Moon.

#630 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Always stick with 30 year old titles.
At least you know what to expect.

At first I read '30 year old titties'... and agreed.

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So, a brand new $8,000 machine - right from the factory floor - brand new playfield, cabinet, boards, lights, wiring, hardware etc is not expected to be as nice as a HEP restore?

Just view any of his restoration threads here and you'll quickly see how HEP is way beyond 'new'

#632 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hey Vid, can you (clarify) add to this. 50 years of what?

Yes, there are already plans for the 50th reissue.

Get your wallet ready.

Those songs are going to sound great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just view any of his restoration threads here and you'll quickly see how HEP is way beyond 'new'

Even his early work, which isn't up to his current standards, is amazing to look at and play. If ever there was something "better than new", it's a HEP restoration.

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Using your car analogy, the clear would only have issues in places where you can't see it, like under the hood.
Of course if there were two GB's for sale I would want the one that looked better overall. Same with buying a car. But just like a car, these machines all have variances that could *possibly* have a small impact on the value.
Just like when I bought LOTR or IM, those titles are known for having fairly big variances in PF registration. People will probably pay a tiny bit more for the ones with the best registration, but Stern didn't replace the ones that were less than perfect.

Using the car analogy, I had to unwind an Aston Martin deal for clear issues under the hood. I get what you are saying, but it's a new consumer good. New is new. Not "Stern" new. Peeling clear devalues any vehicle, but value lies in the purchaser. Most of hobbyist buddies in the AMCOA would never purchase a vehicle with peeling clear, let alone missing maintenance records.

I do have skin in this game as my GBLE playfield started to fail slowly, but has been disintegrating exponentially over the last few months. Waiting for a replacement play field as well.

The difference is my AM dealer realized it was not a new item as it was defective and was in their best interest to unwind the deal. Taking care of the customer was of paramount importance. This is scaleable. Think Costco and their return policy. Amex and their relentless protection of their cardmembers. Amazon "and their usual" solid return policy, etc...As NIB pinball prices continue to escalate, the experience becomes bespoke and as such, the expectations of the consumer align with the emotions involved. I'll get off my soapbox, but it's almost like Stern is evaluating play fields with #alternatefacts.

#635 7 years ago

My replacement playfield immediately began to chip. I wouldn't bother sending your faulty one back in, just flip it and move on.

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

I agree that at this point the ghosting is minimal. The cracking under the apron is more of what I was concerned with. Is it going to spread further? The ghosting was originally only on the Super Jackpot insert and then migrated to the Proton Pack insert. So I can say that is has spread in that respect. I am still enjoying the game. I think its great. I know, I know many people had a lot worse to deal with. It just killed the good buzz I had after opening the box.

Actions speak louder than words..... LOL

Honestly... the concern is "the ghosting is minimal" now. And it's even more concerning because you have that nasty cracking situation elsewhere on the clear.

What happens in a year when the playfield starts to have clear issues elsewhere (or that minimal ghosting starts to progress). What then?

Not trying to rain on your day... but this is exactly why Stern needs to speak up. They have basically mumbled a policy and made fairly non-committed comments about the situation. You've got one distributor buying a game back... you have a supposed replacement program... there's one documented case of a replacement playfield having ghosting...

It's a little odd to see Stern complete disengaging itself. Frankly, I think they are just looking to minimize how many games they have to replace.

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

My replacement playfield immediately began to chip. I wouldn't bother sending your faulty one back in, just flip it and move on.

sorry to hear that...I may have missed it but if you have not posted your replacements pf details, please do. When you received it, date of manufacture and anything else that you can think of...

Unreal that Stern has not got this issue under control....its only been 6 months or so...

#638 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

But I love my SACD Dark Side of the Moon.

I own that too... the multichannel presentation is sooooo sweet

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

sorry to hear that...I may have missed it but if you have not posted your replacements pf details, please do. When you received it, date of manufacture and anything else that you can think of...
Unreal that Stern has not got this issue under control....its only been 6 months or so...

Got it a week and half ago. Will post more details later

#640 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

And this is what I assumed and dreaded.

It appears the only Stern machines I will buy now are 12 month old HUO.

#641 7 years ago

Has anyone thought about going through a distributer and just buying a PF, having it recleared and swapping it out. IF, you can buy one that wont have the same defects that is. I'm thinking that Gawy is going to replace the least amount of these shit PFs as he can get away with and these ghosted, chipped PF games are worthless as they are just going to get worse fast. Yes you will have more money in the game but at least you would have one that looks nice. It is a shame it has come to what it has, These games are shit and still astronomical in price. and Gawy is pretty much counting his cash and giving people the finger. Same goes for Jack at $12500 per game. I'm seeing the old W/B games becoming worth more and more.

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It appears the only Stern machines I will buy now are 12 month old HUO.

I will only buy used games now. Routed or HUO, it doesn't matter as long as the condition is good. I just don't want to roll the dice any more with NIB Stern games.

#643 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Has anyone thought about going through a distributer and just buying a PF, having it recleared and swapping it out.

The thicker the clear, the more likely the inserts will ghost.

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

no more Stern NIB

Well, you could always buy it NIB and have it dropped-shipped to HEP and have him fix it up properly. I mean, add another $5K to the price but it'll be the nicest version of that game ever.

#645 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, you could always buy it NIB and have it dropped-shipped to HEP and have him fix it up properly. I mean, add another $5K to the price but it'll be the nicest version of that game ever.

I don't think hep is going to sand the clear off the playfield and reshoot it

#646 7 years ago

So let's begin the discussion about finding an attorney to file a class action lawsuit.

#647 7 years ago

Why not play the F out of it and then send the PF out to be redone by the masters 50k plays later, or whenever?

That's what I'm doing, thus I'm worried about what happens in the meantime

Pinball is fun and enjoyable. Not gonna ruin my experience with crapola

#648 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The thicker the clear, the more likely the inserts will ghost.

Right. Also, the more pronounced the dimpling that people complain about.

Quoted from Msch:

I don't think hep is going to sand the clear off the playfield and reshoot it

Why not? That's exactly what he has done in the past. That's what he did with my MB reproduction PF that was brand new. It had too much clear on it. That's right...too much clear, which can cause various problems, including fitment of the parts on the PF as well as what Vid1900 mentioned.

People have even sent their NIB pins to Chris in order to have him do various things to them...to make them better than NIB.

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why not play the F out of it and then send the PF out to be redone by the masters 50k plays later, or whenever?
That's what I'm doing, thus I'm worried about what happens in the meantime
Pinball is fun and enjoyable. Not gonna ruin my experience with crapola

If I truly liked the game I would have gone through that possibly.. but... I have heard "Who brought the Dog" so many times I wont miss the machine. It's too bad, as the machine/artwork/toys/etc look great.. but the code just does not have the longevity of a long term keeper to me.

That, plus the playfield problems, was a real disappointment as I waited a year to get my GBLE. It is a dream theme to me, but unfortunately there are so many better and more fun games out there. Most of which are 20+ years old and have better playfields on them

#650 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

So, what's the possibility here that there's no problem with the playfield/clear, but a problem with the design, speed, airballs, etc. of the machine? I'd be curious if ghosting occurs without any usage, or are airballs/etc landing on the inserts causing it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
15,699 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.