IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 26.
#451 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

No ghosting that I have seen, I have seen a couple of owners report some pretty excessive dimpling, ones guys BM66 playfield looks like it is made of soft cheese, it looks terrible and saying it looks like the surface of the moon doesn't do it justice, especially on a premium release.

AND the shooter lane had a large chip... actually it looked to large to call it a "chip"... after 2 weeks of play. Unreal.

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have only seen crazing, but no ghosting. Pics of some chipping have surfaced, however.
The big issue is that QC was so relaxed again, even on a premium product. Games arriving DOA or with issues that should have been smoothed out in testing.
But yeah, don't think we've actually seen reports of ghosting.

Crazing's not a bad thing...... The clear is defiantly adhering to the insert.

#453 7 years ago

i think we got some secret government gmo maple trees to blame. Probably contain gluten too. Demand non-gmo, gluten free playfields from stern! :-/

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

No ghosting that I have seen, I have seen a couple of owners report some pretty excessive dimpling, one guys BM66 playfield looks like it is made of soft cheese, it looks terrible and saying it looks like the surface of the moon doesn't do it justice, especially on a premium release.

With the right light and camera angle, I can make almost any playfield look like soft cheese. I can't believe we are seriously talking dimples.

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have seen a couple of owners report some pretty excessive dimpling, one guys BM66 playfield looks like it is made of soft cheese, it looks terrible and saying it looks like the surface of the moon doesn't do it justice, especially on a premium release.

That dimpling is actually a good sign, signifying that the playfield is indeed made of Hard Maple.

2049250b476721868529b308954c8bae6c47c979 (resized).jpg2049250b476721868529b308954c8bae6c47c979 (resized).jpg

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That dimpling is actually a good sign, signifying that the playfield is indeed made of Hard Maple.

Um, no. Dimpling in most cases is expected/normal/good. What we have seen with some of the Batman playfields isn't anywhere near normal.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Um, no. Dimpling in most cases is expected/normal/good. What we have seen with some of the Batman playfields isn't anywhere near normal.

All the **worry pics** everyone has sent me so far were just normal dimples on new playfields.

100,000 games latter, it will all level out nicely.

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All the **worry pics** everyone has sent me so far were just normal dimples on new playfields.

IMG_0214 (resized).JPGIMG_0214 (resized).JPG

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And as everybody here knows, collector pins easily rack up 100,000 plays in no time....

#460 7 years ago

^ I'd put a cliffy around that, but the dimpling looks like it's off to a wonderful start.

#461 7 years ago

Graphics are chipping already?! Yikes...

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

And as everybody here knows, collector pins easily rack up 100,000 plays in no time....

If you want your playfield to look as smooth as those 90s games with over 1,000,000 balls of travel over it, you better get playing.

#463 7 years ago

Is that a batman game with art chipping off?

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

New Stern Playfields - The new land of a thousand lakes

Because some of these craters we are seeing won't ever level out.. unless you like your inserts a mil taller than the wood, etc.

#465 7 years ago

Pics DI so all thats left is B/W

71bc508c2c0f27b2f4b27fee8d2aef475811fcd4 (resized).jpg71bc508c2c0f27b2f4b27fee8d2aef475811fcd4 (resized).jpg

4c4c90fa4638fb10ff70c2a523da66f67d10aeb4 (resized).jpg4c4c90fa4638fb10ff70c2a523da66f67d10aeb4 (resized).jpg

#466 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is that a batman game with art chipping off?

Is it a stern? Why,yes, that alone explains it. I really hope you guys can get something done for you through them; it's pure bullsh*t they're peddling to the public.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Pics DI so all thats left is B/W

That is a prototype DI on location. Not a finished product shipping to customers.

#468 7 years ago

Tell me again why dimples matter?

I often bend down to get just the right angle so I can count them

#469 7 years ago

I just want to know what happenned with KPG? Is he done with his efforts to help ALL people affected by this? Did he throw the towel as soon as he got good news regarding his machine? I don't see him posting anymore.....

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I just want to know what happenned with KPG? Is he done with his efforts to help ALL people affected by this? Did he throw the towel as soon as he got good news regarding his machine? I don't see him posting anymore.....

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've read the claims of extreme dimpling but yet to see any pictures posted of them...everything I have seen seems normal.

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bending over, is what most Stern customers do.

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I've read the claims of extreme dimpling but yet to see any pictures posted of them...everything I have seen seems normal.

Check out the PF shots near the end of this post.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/28#post-3544738

Some of those are brutal in size.. and all of this in a game less than 2 weeks old. The size of those are not typical. You can tell they are deep too because of the diameter of the impression.

#474 7 years ago

For what it's worth,
I have worked for a chemical company for 30 years , making automotive and industrial high performance clearcoats. I am not a chemist, just represent in a technical capacity this company. I am going to make a guess as to what is going on behind the scenes, it would explain the delay in responding. It wouldn't surprise me if a paint company is trying to figure out the clearcoat issues and meet the quality demands and production demands on dry times and hardness. The newest technology is UV dried clears, and they are more brittle than yesterdays acrylic urethane clears . Brittle is bad on a wood sheet that gets beat up by a steel ball. The UV dries super fast, like 5 minutes total dry, no heat to damage the wood or inserts, very attractive to production lines. The Urethane clear is either air dried or heat cured in about 20 minutes, and I'm sure it's low baked ~120F, due to it being wood with plastic glued in inserts. I would not be surprised if some changes in technology is being worked out right now, and trying to figure out a way to meet production demands and provide a suitable clearcoat. I figure Stern ( actually the paint company) is testing different formulas looking for a solution. Just my thoughts, don't have a dog in this fight, just sharing some insight from my perspective. I may be way off and no where close to what the process is, but I am making this guess.
BTW: the white edge on the insert is most likely delamination. It's where the clear has come loose from the substrate and is no longer bonded. The swelling, expanding and retraction of the wood at the insert may be the culprit, and the clear isn't flexible enough to make this minor movement without coming loose. I'm sure they will figure it out, and hopefully soon, as I would like to continue to buy new Stern pins, as they make some really cool stuff these days.
Please don't bash me for my ideas, as I said, it's just a guess from someone in the clearcoat business. But it may help some folks understand just a little about clears of yesterday vs the UV clears of today and why it cant be fixed overnight.

JP

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Check out the PF shots near the end of this post.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/28#post-3544738

Some of those are brutal in size.. and all of this in a game less than 2 weeks old. The size of those are not typical. You can tell they are deep too because of the diameter of the impression.

That's what new playfields look like as they get their cherry broken.

If you don't like seeing how the process starts, stick to 30 year old games that already have their playfields beaten flat...sheesh.

#476 7 years ago

A clearcoat is 4 mils thick (.004").

If you took a piece of .004" thick steel, bonded it to the playfield and played a game of pinball, you would get a ton of dimples instantly. Thin steel is no match for a 1.06" diameter pinball.

Even your car hood, made of .06" thick steel (that's 15X thicker than a clearcoat), can not survive a pinball being dropped on it without denting.

#477 7 years ago

Vids right , dimples are gonna happen . It's a wood sheet with clear coat in it , it's gonna dimple .
4-6 mils of Clear isn't gonna prevent it . Hell, 10 mils of clear won't prevent it . I think the wood on older games was harder though , my restored old Games of the 80's that I clear don't dimple . Doesn't bother me really ,it's just part of it now. Insert delamination is an issue though , that will need to be addressed.
JP

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thanks for pointing those out. I can't really tell if they are any worse then normal though. The newer the playfield the worse dimples look, so a two week playfield will look bad...they always do. I am surprised to see the magnet core so dimpled....don't know if that is normal or not but I assume so...and to think how much stronger metal is compared to clear coated wood.

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've been in the hobby a long time and seen hundreds of games, many brand new, both operated and home use only. I've never seen playfields like some of the GB and BM66 pics I've seen here. It's pretty obvious there is a serious problem with some of these playfields. Yes, some of the pictures here are indeed "worry" pics, but some are definitely "holy crap" pics.

And I think it's highly unlikely that most home buyers will ever see anything close to 100k plays on their games, so that's not much comfort to those that have playfields that look like the surface of the moon.

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Bending over, is what most Stern customers do.

Ok, here's an update for everybody.

I waxed my TWDLE tonight, after playing the living shit out of it, and my GBLE.

Here's what i noticed as I "bent over" and inspected the PF's closely:

The TWDLE was an orange peel dimple machine, I mean I've played it a ton. But hardly noticeable and shallow.

The GBLE was also dimpled up, what i would expect, BUT, it might have been ever so slightly deeper dimples? Wtf, I don't know, very difficult to tell.

They both look nice and shiny and I might be able to conclude with the naked eye that the newer Stern has slightly deeper dimples?

So F ing what?

Now, I'm getting my BM66LE tomorrow so i'll compare dimples for fun!!!!

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's what new playfields look like as they get their cherry broken.
If you don't like seeing how the process starts, stick to 30 year old games that already have their playfields beaten flat...sheesh.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Thanks for pointing those out. I can't really tell if they are any worse then normal though. The newer the playfield the worse dimples look, so a two week playfield will look bad...they always do

This is an argument that is predicated on the idea that people have no experience with new games.. yet that is not true. I, along with many others, have been playing, collecting, and buying games for a long time. I have multiple new Stern games in my own lineup, and have been around countless numbers in the collections around me.

These are different.. if it's the game's physics, or the playfields themselves.. the run of the last few games have been horrible compared to previous Stern production.

#482 7 years ago

And btw, my TWDLE magnet cores are dimpled to shit!!!!

I never would have noticed unless paranoia hadn't taken over here.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Sorry I was gone all weekend!! 70MileSaturday supercar rally here in SoCal, and Jeep off-roading today in the snow in Big Bear. I love Pinside and all, but I also have a few hobbies that take up some time.

You better believe I'm moving forward with some options. The petition speaks for itself, my letter asking for Stern to publicly acknowledge the playfield defects and also state the status of the "Replacement Program" and I'll be sending the letter itself via FedEx signature required deliver to Gary himself.

There are other things in the process of which will be taken care of from that point from another party.

I got an email from that other party and he's very enthusiastic with the responses here and is confident this is something of interest and that's definitely good news.

My letter, petition, and bitching here was honestly just to show certain parties who are smarter than me that there's a lot of potential customers who were affected. So most definitely my efforts here are still on going.

Did Iceman's constant Stern cheerleading piss me off? Sure. But I get it, he's a guy that hasn't bought defective merchandise from Stern so he doesn't have a clue of what it's like to be in the position of me and the dozens of other people who are in this position.

Should Jody Dankburg's time and effort using his JY64 alias be used in a positive way, to say post something on Facebook and the Stern website addressing this, especially on BM66 machines now?

Will Iceman admit he has a problem publicly if he gets a defective BM66, since he said he would only handle it privately? And the 4-5 other critics here talking shit on my efforts?

Will Stern actually buy back my GBLE or are they going to back out of the deal?

Why did ZombiYeti come in here just to post how he is attracted to Jody Dankberg and made everything uncomfortable for a couple of pages of posts?

Questions... lots of them lol

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, my TWDLE magnet cores are dimpled to shit!!!!
I never would have noticed unless paranoia hadn't taken over here.

It's not about the existence.. the informed know it happens.
It's about severity and rate.

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's about severity and rate.

And it affects my fun factor, playability and love for the pin how? Nada

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Did Iceman's constant Stern cheerleading piss me off? Sure. But I get it, he's a guy that hasn't bought defective merchandise from Stern so he doesn't have a clue of what it's like to be in the position of me and the dozens of other people who are in this position.

Maybe you can root for me to get a shit BM66LE tomorrow so i can feel the pain!

If i do, i will handle it appropriately and know that it will get resolved. I won't be calling you for petition help, that's for sure

#487 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Why did ZombiYeti come in here just to post how he is attracted to Jody Dankberg and made everything uncomfortable for a couple of pages of posts?

I hope everything works out for all, but that post sure was uncomfortable.

#488 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And it affects my fun factor, playability and love for the pin how? Nada

I keep my pins for 5-10-15+ years - not months. The durability of the pin is an important factor of the pins I buy.

A magnet that is too soft will need to be replaced more often.. and risks other wood damage if you don't service it in time. An unsmooth playfield will ultimately impact ball movement.

(but nice slide away from the point..)

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Should Jody Dankburg's time and effort using his JY64 alias be used in a positive way, to say post something on Facebook and the Stern website addressing this, especially on BM66 machines now?

I pointed out before that there was zero evidence of JY64 being Jody, and the moderators have confirmed that he is not Jody.

People should stop calling him Jody.

#490 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I keep my pins for 5-10-15+ years - not months. The durability of the pin is an important factor of the pins I buy.

How old are you? Life is too short to worry about such things.

If you are talking about the durability of the PF, buy another later if you play it enough over 15 years. Repopulate it!

In an HUO environment, if you can wear your pin out I'll be highly impressed.

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

An unsmooth playfield will ultimately impact ball movement.

Like every Bally/Williams pin known to man with sunken inserts, ghosting and dimple mania going on after 50k plays?

Buy a PF protector if you are so concerned.

#492 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How old are you? Life is too short to worry about such things.
If you are talking about the durability of the PF, buy another later if you play it enough over 15 years. Repopulate it!
In an HUO environment, if you can wear your pin out I'll be highly impressed.

I have pins I've owned for 19 years myself. Sorry you 'if it breaks, I'll just buy a new one' crowd don't appreciate having pins that survive.

I've never worried about 'wearing out my pins' - even pins that were older than me.. but Stern seems hell bent on changing that.

Your dismissive tact really doesn't paint the 'new blood' in a good light at all. Just emphasizes the more money then sense stereotype.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like every Bally/Williams pin known to man with sunken inserts, ghosting and dimple mania going on after 50k plays?
Buy a PF protector if you are so concerned.

smh.... you just throw shit out in a jumble hoping something makes sense.

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I pointed out before that there was zero evidence of JY64 being Jody, and the moderators have confirmed that he is not Jody.
People should stop calling him Jody.

Whomever he is really dies not matter. He is obviously a Stern schill and dumb enough to be posting photos of a prototype game from his biggest competiton. FUnny part is the smart ones just look at those photos and think how great it is that JJP is actually beta testing their own games rather than having customers spend 15k to test for them, lol.

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

smh.... you just throw shit out in a jumble hoping something makes sense.

Sorry you never understand logic.

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I've never worried about 'wearing out my pins' - even pins that were older than me.. but Stern seems hell bent on changing that.

Well, 19 years from now, let me know how that works out with current Stern pins.

Btw, you should check out the movie Split.

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Whomever he is really dies not matter.

Facts don't matter to you?

It's ok to falsely accuse a Pinsider of being someone that they are not?

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that you would think this way...

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is an argument that is predicated on the idea that people have no experience with new games.. yet that is not true. I, along with many others, have been playing, collecting, and buying games for a long time. I have multiple new Stern games in my own lineup, and have been around countless numbers in the collections around me.
These are different.. if it's the game's physics, or the playfields themselves.. the run of the last few games have been horrible compared to previous Stern production.

No doubt about it there is definitely a playfield problem as of late, which is preventing me from buying games right now as I don't wish to spend money and play the Stern lotto.

#499 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Facts don't matter to you?
It's ok to falsely accuse a Pinsider of being someone that they are not?
I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that you would think this way...

No, i am saying that i don't really care whom jy specifcally is. His actions have negated all opinions he has and he just looks silly now that he is attempting to deflect Stern pf defects by posting pics of a prototype DI which appears to be properply play tested in a high play location for months and thousands and thousands of plays. JJP is obviously interested in putting out a quality game and willing to put in the time and make adjustments to inprove BEFORE a customer even gets the game.

Jy is a Stern schill. I don't care what his name is.

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

FUnny part is the smart ones just look at those photos and think how great it is that JJP is actually beta testing their own games rather than having customers spend 15k to test for them, lol.

Come on Hilton, you can't really believe this BS.

JJP, the pillar of truth, honesty and everything that is right with pinball.

They are "beta testing" a game because they can't produce it right now. Who F ing cares anyhow?

The election results are in and JJP loses with DI Collectors whatever versus BM66SLE

Oh by the way, Aerosmith pro is on sale for $5200, beta test that one

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.