IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
honda_accord_99-03 (resized).jpg
ec0f66aced98c3183be5458f366883201f31ba47 (resized).jpg
14868616957031880555332 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #830 Update on playfields stocking according to Stern Posted by Manimal (7 years ago)

Post #839 Story of a Pro owner's PF swap Posted by JoshODBrown (7 years ago)

Post #878 replacement playfield recieved - dated jan 5, 2017 Posted by RickAHG (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 26.
#1 7 years ago

Hello,

Many of you may already be up to date on the significant manufacturing defects of current Stern Pinball machine playfields. If you are not, feel free to catch up by browsing this lengthy thread here on Pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious

In summary, many customers, including myself, have received New in Box pinball machines that were purchased, unboxed, and were discovered to have minor to significant manufacturing defects such as "ghosting" inserts, chipping/flaking clear coat, etc.

Gary Stern and Stern Pinball, along with customer's distributors, were immediately contacted mid-2016. There was a promise of a "Playfield Replacement Program" that has never seemed to officially be announced or started. There are only 1-2 people who claim to have received a new playfield, one of which claimed it was another defective playfield that has ghosted again already.

Gary Stern personally reached out to me in August 2016 and said to expect a replacement in October 2016, which did not happen- and now I no longer receive responses or acknowledgements when I reach out for an update. The latest update was from Patrick Powers who no longer is specifying a replacement date, other than "It has been pushed back".

Due to the mishandling of communication and following through with the promised replacement program, I have created an online petition as the start of potential legal action on behalf of customers that purchased a defective product from Stern Pinball Inc.

Please sign this petition if you are either a customer who purchased a defective product, or thinks Stern should make it right for those customers who have been affected. The petition on Change.org is here:

https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields

I will provide updates as I work towards a positive resolution for the pinball community and customers of Stern Pinball Inc.

Kris

6ef7995d95e31b7525dea5de32339cb4fb59bc09 (resized).png6ef7995d95e31b7525dea5de32339cb4fb59bc09 (resized).png

#2 7 years ago

2016-08-15 20.54.00 (resized).jpg2016-08-15 20.54.00 (resized).jpg
2016-08-08 21.13.57 (resized).jpg2016-08-08 21.13.57 (resized).jpg
2016-08-14 15.45.22 (resized).jpg2016-08-14 15.45.22 (resized).jpg
66fc284f0815695a56253ad0de4795ff98e1d596 (resized).jpg66fc284f0815695a56253ad0de4795ff98e1d596 (resized).jpg
2cc04d696f0feb29593832f7ba556fc8a145c7c1 (resized).jpg2cc04d696f0feb29593832f7ba556fc8a145c7c1 (resized).jpg

a96d66266a248d49688b75d25337ebf8eb25bd2a (resized).jpega96d66266a248d49688b75d25337ebf8eb25bd2a (resized).jpeg

2016-08-15 20.58.29 (resized).jpg2016-08-15 20.58.29 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere...

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere...

You mean the thread or the petition?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You mean the thread or the petition?

both

#8 7 years ago

signed.

#9 7 years ago

Signed and good luck. That playfield is a disgrace and Stern should be ashamed of their quality control.

#10 7 years ago

So you are comparing a tiny niche hobby that most people don't even know exists with one of the largest, most recognizable companies on the planet with literally hundreds of millions customers? Well, stranger things have happened. Vaya con dio, my friend.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you are comparing a tiny niche hobby that most people don't even know exists with one of the largest, most recognizable companies on the planet with literally hundreds of millions customers? Well, stranger things have happened. Vaya con dio, my friend.

It's a consumer product, sold to consumers. MBP's were $2500-3K, and these machines are now selling up to $15,000

Don't care how small the company is, maybe Stern thinks like you- maybe they think they are "Too small to fail" - but they are at least a $40-50M company, and have the financial ability to make this right- and afford to cover legal fees for attorneys.

Levi, you are the reason companies think they can get over on customers with that attitude. Since you werent affected, step aside, and let Stern defend themselves. They don't need a self-proclaimed "Crazy" person jumping on the soap box and acting like their personal Iraqi Information Minister.

53529697 (resized).jpg53529697 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Change we can believe in!

#13 7 years ago

I just got a box from stern to send back my GBLE playfield

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Size of the company should not matter a lick. if anything if apple couldn't defend there side with all of their attorneys it would lead me to believe Stern will have a tougher go of it.

#15 7 years ago

Makes no difference what the size of the company. Consumer laws were created to stop people from getting stiffed by companies peddling poor standard goods.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's a consumer product, sold to consumers. MBP's were $2500-3K, and these machines are now selling up to $15,000
Don't care how small the company is, maybe Stern thinks like you- maybe they think they are "Too small to fail" - but they are at least a $40-50M company, and have the financial ability to make this right- and afford to cover legal fees for attorneys.
Levi, you are the reason companies think they can get over on customers with that attitude. Since you werent affected, step aside, and let Stern defend themselves. They don't need a self-proclaimed "Crazy" person jumping on the soap box and acting like their personal Iraqi Information Minister.

Wow...that went downhill fast.

#17 7 years ago

Signed

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I just got a box from stern to send back my GBLE playfield

I'm sure KPG's is in the mail. Or at least I hope it is already!

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm sure KPG's is in the mail. Or at least I hope it is already!

Yeah, right.

Let's see if he's the first person to get a replacement that isn't also defective. There are no reports of a replacement GBLE playfield yet, especially one that isn't also affected by ghosting.

#20 7 years ago

Signed petition and made these comments ...

I have seen numerous GB playfields with ghosting, a defective product. Gary Stern promised to initiate a program to resolve such defects, yet to date this is not occurring. Asking that Gary kick the program off and offer replacement playfields now. When this can't be accomplished in 30 days, those on the list awaiting replacement should be kept informed of the timing of their intended swap.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/wflatheism/works/12745207-i-aint-afraid-of-no-ghost?p=sticker

Good luck to all that are waiting.

ghost busters (resized).pngghost busters (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Please let us know who your distributor was they made money off this transaction as well. Where are they in all of this? Let's hold them accountable as well.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Please let us know who your distributor was they made money off this transaction as well. Where are they in all of this? Let's hold them accountable as well.

Trent @ Tilt amusements is my distributor. He has mentioned his only recourse is to email Stern and hope they reply to him, which doesn't seem to be the case. He sent an email to them last week, and I asked if they replied yet (that was a couple days ago) and he hasn't gotten back to me either. I assume Stern had no information and keeps giving him the runaround as well.

#23 7 years ago

Thanks for the update I would have thought distributors would have more influence.

John

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Thanks for the update I would have thought distributors would have more influence.
John

Apparently not, which is unfortunate. They seem just as irritated with this process as us customers, and I'm sure it affects their personal sales and revenue as well.

#25 7 years ago

When I had a problem with my Metallica Pro LED playfield about this time last year I contacted Trent (my distributor) and he got it taken care of through Stern, they replaced my playfield with a brand new populated one. I hope Stern does the same for you guys. I do believe that it is best to deal with the problems through your distributor instead of going straight to Stern. Good Luck Guys!

#26 7 years ago

Great, now none of us are going to get invited to the pinball army

All joking aside, if you haven't noticed stern holds grudges with people that are publically critical of them. I wouldn't be surprised if stern just ignores kpg forever now. They seem extremely arrogant on these types of issues.

I signed my petition with my wallet a while ago.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

All joking aside, if you haven't noticed stern holds grudges with people that are publically critical of them.

I'm already black-balled by their PR department, so I got nothing to lose.

#28 7 years ago

if they change our le playfields, will we get a signed one from trudeau back?

i want a perfect le for my collection, not an le/premium mix.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

All joking aside, if you haven't noticed stern holds grudges with people that are publically critical of them. I wouldn't be surprised if stern just ignores kpg forever now.

As long as he doesn't begin his Sternly-Worded Letter to Gary with "Hi, my name is kpg..." he should be OK.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Great, now none of us are going to get invited to the pinball army
All joking aside, if you haven't noticed stern holds grudges with people that are publically critical of them. I wouldn't be surprised if stern just ignores kpg forever now. They seem extremely arrogant on these types of issues.
I signed my petition with my wallet a while ago.

They are going to quickly realize that ignoring certain customers is a bad idea. It might work with some, others it just pisses off even more.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Hello,
Many of you may already be up to date on the significant manufacturing defects of current Stern Pinball machine playfields. If you are not, feel free to catch up by browsing this lengthy thread here on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious
In summary, many customers, including myself, have received New in Box pinball machines that were purchased, unboxed, and were discovered to have minor to significant manufacturing defects such as "ghosting" inserts, chipping/flaking clear coat, etc.
Gary Stern and Stern Pinball, along with customer's distributors, were immediately contacted mid-2016. There was a promise of a "Playfield Replacement Program" that has never seemed to officially be announced or started. There are only 1-2 people who claim to have received a new playfield, one of which claimed it was another defective playfield that has ghosted again already.
Gary Stern personally reached out to me in August 2016 and said to expect a replacement in October 2016, which did not happen- and now I no longer receive responses or acknowledgements when I reach out for an update. The latest update was from Patrick Powers who no longer is specifying a replacement date, other than "It has been pushed back".
Due to the mishandling of communication and following through with the promised replacement program, I have created an online petition as the start of potential legal action on behalf of customers that purchased a defective product from Stern Pinball Inc.
Please sign this petition if you are either a customer who purchased a defective product, or thinks Stern should make it right for those customers who have been affected. The petition on Change.org is here:
https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields
I will provide updates as I work towards a positive resolution for the pinball community and customers of Stern Pinball Inc.
Kris

Amen to you brother!

I think stern has the best pins on the market and do shit good...for the most part. That said; it is too bad they're treating customers like this with no answers or statements. They work harder at censoring negativity than they do making things right. I bet Jody already has a few emails out to Robin on this thread alone, I'm curious what will come first; stern making things right - or Stern getting Robin to close this thread down.

Good luck to you KPG, if the company and distributors we continue to support don't have our backs, im glad you do.

/popcorn

#32 7 years ago

Gary promised they would be taken care of when he spoke in front of hundreds of people at Expo. Just passing the info.

#33 7 years ago

I really would like to know when Stern figures out that they are alienating their customers with this bullshit. Your average route operator could care less about ghosting on the playfield or code updates. But the home/collector consumer, who is quickly becoming the target customer(BM66 comes to mind), gets taken care of with poor customer service and lack of timely updates. Meanwhile, Aerosmith is all ramped up and ready to go!

Wallets folks, start disapproving with your wallets.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Gary promised they would be taken care of when he spoke in front of hundreds of people at Expo.

hola.jpghola.jpg

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Gary promised they would be taken care of when he spoke in front of hundreds of people at Expo. Just passing the info.

haha...well now we KNOW it's true...roll the JJP, Jpoop, & Skit B footage please.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I bet Jody already has a few emails out to Robin on this thread alone, I'm curious what will come first; stern making things right - or Stern getting Robin to close this thread down.

Why would Robin have to close this down?

#37 7 years ago

I vow never to buy a NIB stern until they improve the build quality of their games

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haha...well now we KNOW it's true...roll the JJp & Skit B footage please.

JPop, I think you mean, not JJP?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

JPop, I think you mean, not JJP?

Ah I could add that one also, but no I meant JJP.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Trent @ Tilt amusements is my distributor. He has mentioned his only recourse is to email Stern and hope they reply to him, which doesn't seem to be the case. He sent an email to them last week, and I asked if they replied yet (that was a couple days ago) and he hasn't gotten back to me either. I assume Stern had no information and keeps giving him the runaround as well.

Only buy NIB with an American Express card.

These sh*t discounts distributors offer for cash or bank transfer aren't worth it.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Only buy NIB with an American Express card.
These sh*t discounts distributors offer for cash or bank transfer aren't worth it.

You are totally right. I ended up wiring him the money because he wanted a 4-5% additional if paying by CC which was kind of crazy. But in my defense, I didn't know that until after I waited months and then he asked for final payment. If I ever buy another NIB, it will be by credit card only.

I wish there was reasonable pricing to buy through Amazon.. if there was a problem, Amazon would take my return in two seconds and send that shit right back to Stern and deal with them instead of a distributor. That's why amazon is the best place to buy things online- they have the customers back no matter what.

#42 7 years ago

They aren't. They are doing really well. Of course some people are angry, but most people aren't angry enough to stop buying Stern games. I'm not saying they should (stop buying Stern games), people should buy what they want, it might just be an unfortunate truth that pissing a few people off makes them more money than making it right. It's just business.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I really would like to know when Stern figures out that they are alienating their customers with this bullshit.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You are totally right. I ended up wiring him the money because he wanted a 4-5% additional if paying by CC which was kind of crazy. But in my defense, I didn't know that until after I waited months and then he asked for final payment. If I ever buy another NIB, it will be by credit card only.
I wish there was reasonable pricing to buy through Amazon.. if there was a problem, Amazon would take my return in two seconds and send that shit right back to Stern and deal with them instead of a distributor. That's why amazon is the best place to buy things online- they have the customers back no matter what.

you can get this pro gb for only 6495

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-Ghostbusters-Arcade-Machine/dp/B01HYHQW1C/ref=sr_1_2

im not affected by the issues but i signed it cause i think its bs how they are handling this

#44 7 years ago

I'm all for the replacement playfields, but change.org? Lol.org

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I'm all for the replacement playfields, but change.org? Lol.org

Thanks for your concern and sympathy to people who have purchased defective products from Stern. Clearly you are not one of them, so thanks for your very productive and intelligent post here on Pinside.

#46 7 years ago

You doing good work here
Stern needs to be accountable and more responsive to these serious complaints

I sold my GBLE without even taking it out of the box , the disappointment was just too much for me to even open it. I will never buy a Nib stern anymore till they work on their quality control and customer service.

They got greedy and should feel the bite of the consumer.

I used to buy every single new LE that came out, no more!!

Amen ( I am atheist by the way)

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

They aren't. They are doing really well. Of course some people are angry, but most people aren't angry enough to stop buying Stern games. I'm not saying they should (stop buying Stern games), people should buy what they want, it might just be an unfortunate truth that pissing a few people off makes them more money than making it right. It's just business.

SO well that Gary took on investors? SO well that a new crap edition is $15K? Yep, if some asshole makes it, some asshole will buy it. Eventually you run out of assholes with money.

I know this asshole is broke!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Eventually you run out of assholes with money.

I'm doubting this. You ever think Stern is trying to make it to a higher tax bracket market? One that's too advanced to sit on a forum all day talking shit aboot them? you never know...they might get there.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Amen to you brother!
I think stern has the best pins on the market and do shit good...for the most part. That said; it is too bad they're treating customers like this with no answers or statements. They work harder at censoring negativity than they do making things right. I bet Jody already has a few emails out to Robin on this thread alone, I'm curious what will come first; stern making things right - or Stern getting Robin to close this thread down.
Good luck to you KPG, if the company and distributors we continue to support don't have our backs, im glad you do.
/popcorn

Thank you my friend!!!

I am very confident this will all work out positively for us customers, and Gary Stern & Co. will come up with something soon to address this- after all, that would be the right thing to do. I don't think it needs to go further than this, but all options need to be on the table.

I think they need to appoint the person involved with promoting the BM66 SLE application & website to run the Playfield Replacement Program.

If they have the time and resources to issue applications, create a standalone website, review them, and then decide who can send them $15,000 of their hard earned money- surely they have the resources to create a replacement program document, standalone website, review all submissions, then decide to replace defective parts for those who already sent them $5-8,000+ of their hard earned money.

#50 7 years ago

You could look at it from another angle. Some people pay extra to get wood or furniture "distressed". Meaning that it will look older and more vintage than it really is. With these latest Sterns you get just that.

Adds a little character so these 40 and 50 year old themed games look like they may have actually come from that time period.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
There are 1,251 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changeorg-petition-gary-stern-replace-defective-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.