(Topic ID: 219044)

Changed out driver board on TSPP, now speakers are humming, Help!

By Tinnhound

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pages from The_Simpsons_Manual (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tinnhound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a nice TSPP I bought about 6 months ago, looks HUO, got it home, and everytime I turned it on to play it, on the second or third game the flippers would go dead, the ball would drain, the TV would not be normal, just a couple of random lines on it, after about 30 seconds it seemed like the coils got power again, it would kick out a new ball, and you could resume playing. For some unknown reason the game came with a Rottendog driver board installed, and I began to suspect it might be the culprit, so I bought a new Stern whitestar driver board 520-5137-00 Rev G and installed it. I have put a couple of hours on the game now, and the old problem has not resurfaced, but a new one has, it now has a pretty loud hum from all 3 speakers, that definitely was not there before. I tried my best to research this, and came up with people talking about the CPU/Sound board having resistor value issues at 110 and 106. I checked my board, 520-5136-00 Rev E, and it has the resistor values that Stern had recommended changing on the boards when Monopoly came out. So I really have no idea what to check or do next. All help greatly appreciated !!

#3 5 years ago

I called them this morning, explained everything, the only advice the tech offered was to check that there was 12 volts coming out of the driver board to feed the CPU/Sound board.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Is the game over mod’d? Might be drawing too much power or be adding noise. Though speaker hum on TSPP is not uncommon, I installed a pinsound board to make the hum go away.

The only mod is a short led strip above the drain in the middle of the apron.

#7 5 years ago

So I swapped the Rottendog driver board SDB004 back into the game, and the loud hum from the speakers is gone. So I am convinced that there is something wrong with the new Stern driver board, not sure if I can return that to Marco's or not. I began to play a couple of games, and like clockwork, on the second game all of the coils quit working. One thing I noticed this time, was that there was a red LED next to U210 on the driver board that went out at the same time, and came back on when the coils started working 45 seconds later. Can anyone shed some light on this?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

U210 is a the power monitor chip. The LED would go off when that chip throws the board into a reset condition. At least on the original boards, the MPU reset has to be good for the driver board to reset. I would guess there is a +5v problem and the board is going into reset. There could problem connected to both boards acting up. I suppose the R-dog board could have a different reset circuit and a different problem.
Measure the +5vdc voltage when the driver board LED goes out. See if it is below 4.75vdc or so.
Also check to so how the transformer power input to the driver board look. J17 P1 and P4 would be the AC input for the 5vdc regulator, schematic indicates 8vac between the two.
Further info can be found in the manual.

Thank you for your response, I will do some more digging...

#10 5 years ago

So as it turns out, the Rottendog board, apparently manufactured in 2014 had a design flaw, and required a jumper between pins 3 and 4 on U210. Nice easy, quick fix. It now works fine and the problem with it (all coils suddenly going dead) is gone. Now I am left with a brand new Stern whitestar driver board that works fine, just causes a fairly loud speaker buzz or hum in all 3 speakers. I have swapped the 2 boards back and forth a few times, checking things. No loud buzz/hum with the Rottendog board installed, but with the new Stern there is. Marco will not refund or exchange it, told me to call Stern. Talked to Stern once last week about it, didn't really get far, going to try them again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 218.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tinnhound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changed-out-driver-board-on-tspp-now-speakers-are-humming-help?tu=Tinnhound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.