pasted_image (resized).png
LAH (resized).jpg
LAH2 (resized).png
475F6814-E8A9-4DB3-B77E-DCE67E1908AB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

I'm sure i'm going to get some heat for the take i'm about to express here about Python's art, so my flame shield is already in place. Honestly I can't stand Python's backglass art on Grand Lizard. In my opinion, Faris' original backglass artwork destroys the final product by Python. It fits the look of the game much better and i'm puzzled that Williams didn't just rework the original backglass to accommodate the alphanumeric displays they decided on since we know it COULD have been done and still look good on the game. Graphically speaking, Paul's offering was a far more cohesive piece and has a more balanced look, while Python's production art has all kinds of wonky character angles and forced perspectives that don't work and just don't look good in 2D. Paul's hand drawn realism fits this game far better than Python's harsh color palette and 6th grade looking hand drawn cartoonish take. Even today, I still kind of shake my head at Williams' creative choice on this backglass art. Eh, I guess that's part of the charm of pre millenium pinball art.
[quoted image]

Agreed the pre production glass is awesome. Paul Faris made some incredible art. Just guessing but I think Williams must have wanted the pinball machine to have a stronger connection to the previous appearance of Grand Lizard in their 1984 video game, Inferno which featured the character and used a 3/4 or isometric perspective that the Constantino glass used.

7537402E-FF39-42CE-8290-3F5CB0ADE9C6 (resized).jpeg7537402E-FF39-42CE-8290-3F5CB0ADE9C6 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-that-art-?tu=bonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.