pasted_image (resized).png
LAH (resized).jpg
LAH2 (resized).png
475F6814-E8A9-4DB3-B77E-DCE67E1908AB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm an artist - and artwork is a big factor in what pinball machines I like. However, as you all know, the quality of the artwork on pinball machines has varied wildly from gorgeous to butt ugly (looking at you, Flash and Genesis). Artists don't get paid enough or get valued enough. I thought it'd be fun to hear about artwork you think could have been better, and what you would have done. I'll start with Stern Big Game. These "cards" on the playfield are horrible. I would have used African shields to marry the foliage theme, and possibly sneak in stereotypical big game hunter somewhere in the jungle mix.

Remember, you have to suggest what you think would have been a better solution, so this isn't just another rant thread. Are you game? (get it?)
big game (resized).jpgbig game (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Big Game is not a Williams, it's a Stern.

Just seeing if you were reading! Yep, fixed.

#7 2 years ago

Wow, I'm always surprised by such quick negative comments. If you don't want to talk about art, then don't bother posting. Read another thread. As for the lens, if we followed that argument, nobody should look at the Mona Lisa, Rockwell, or Rembrandt or have any discussion ever about any art or illustration that wasn't created yesterday - because we are clearly going to be judging through the lens of today. I can't follow that logic.

Ask to post clips of hot girls on pins, I have yet to see someone decline to have an opinion on that art.

Also, style is something separate. Spanish Eyes was done in a certain style. The angular cartoon characters of the beatnik era were done in a certain style. Styles change, sure. But that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking about what would have made a design better - so if you aren't artistically inclined, or don't care about the art, don't respond. I have to believe there are many creative pinball collectors who have opinions about pinball art. I know I've read comments about photoshopped clipart here before.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Well, you did sort of ask "What's wrong with the Mona Lisa, and how specifically would you fix it?"

I did no such thing. I asked if you had a pin where you wish the artist had done something different.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CodHollandaise:

I'm not sure if you've seen, but Jesse Hernandez (aka Urban Aztec) recently did a reimagining of the Big Game backglass: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbF7PZtr-eH/

That's really cool! Thank you for sharing.

#15 2 years ago

And your point? If you don't see the difference, then I'm not explaining it well. Maybe it's an artist thing, I don't know. But it doesn't matter. I tried to offer something to the group, that's all. There are a lot of poorly drawn or poorly executed pinball artworks that weren't done well in their era, and will never be viewed as more no matter what era. Are you saying that the translite for Genesis is a "Mona Lisa" work of art? No? No urge to change it? I know people change the Flintstones to the cartoon version. And Raven has a popular alternate screen. I've seen a really nice rescreening of the Monster Bash playfield to include a wood "floor". There are some nice alternate slingshot plastics for BSM. This is what I am talking about. I've seen laser cut Flash Gordon rails, custom paint jobs for the cabinet. They are all changes to the artwork as well. I don't see why a discussion of playfield or backglass art shouldn't be a fun subject?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

On gottlieb spring break, on the playfield, I would have put more people on the beach besides just the girl and the dog. And, of course, a new backglass/translite. Always thought that game had a good layout but the art dragged it down.

Interesting idea - you're right, looking at the backglass, it doesn't match the playfield at all, just a photo montage. The playfield does seem pretty sparse, there's certainly room there.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

So you don't think artists are appreciated enough so you tell us some things they sucked at and want us to chime in on ways they suck?
If you want to be paid handsomely for doing something you love you better be dang good at it.

No, I said that good artists weren't valued enough, and it shows because good artists weren't engaged. Now, I am guessing here, but I'm betting the powers that be didn't see the need to pay for a good artist. Paul Faris, Kevin O'Connor, Margaret Hudson - those are talented people. You can see the difference in art quality between the Spring Break photo montage and the pins those artists worked on? I'd like to think all those EMs out there with great backglasses could have been so much prettier with some of that artwork on the playfield, and in plastics for the upper arches instead of plain white.

My point on that were many good and great artists in the world, in illustrative and advertising markets, in every era. But certain companies apparently didn't value the contribution of the artwork to pinball games, on certain machines, and it shows.

Hopefully if you are doing something you love, you have put in the time to become good at it. True for any profession.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

OP made a big mistake picking a game with some of the best art of its era.

You don't think those blank cards could have been made nicer? Blank white squares in the middle of some nice art? Cast yourself as the art director.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Well, I wish they would have changed the art on AC/DC to hand drawn art.

I've heard that in some of the forums - I think it's a good point. Photoshopped heads are a choice, but I think they could have afforded a good artist. Now I wonder if there was some contractual stipulation of their likenesses requiring photos. I would have liked to see that too - KISS got a good treatment in 1979 doing that.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I prefer the cucumber artwork. [quoted image][quoted image]

I am amazed by the amount of energy you went through to post nothing.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I just want to know how the hell in 2022 the art on Rush happened. Have you seen the abomination that is Neil Peart on the cabinet sides?

For some reason I can't find a good side shot of that cabinet?

#33 2 years ago

-

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

That along with Galaxy, Stargazer and Seawitch.

I love Seawitch. It's in my permanent collection, I've been told as much from my daughter - she wants it in her home.

#46 2 years ago

I don't get where people get all upset for a discussion of what could have been better? Why does that subject seem so taboo?

#47 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
... and why do I keep hearing the phrase "Shoot the Pyramid" when I look at a couple of those back-glasses?

Thanks - I saw those pics, but you can't really see anything from that angle. I wonder why there aren't any side shots floating around the internet for this one? Too new?

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Also a quasi-artist here, too. Mainly all digital as a graphic designer, though. Been doing it as a job for the last 10 years or so. I've seen so much stuff over the years that customers want that blows my mind how awful it is, but hey, it's their money so I get the job done how they want. I just make sure no one can associate my name with it.
There's really no way to have everyone align with a single, or even a few, points of view on artwork, especially pinball artwork. Talk to five people about it and you'll get seven opinions. What seems obviously hideous to one, another will find exquisite, and another will be completely indifferent towards it.
When it's all said and done, my main coworker and I have always relied on this saying, "Some people's taste is only in their mouth."

Thanks. Yeah, I never thought everyone would agree on each example or suggestion. But as you say, when so many opinions I was interested to hear them. And this is not to knock any artist, given that they work under constraints, under clients and art directors, and within funding. But that means there are many pins out there where work could have been done, or should have been done but wasn't. As you say.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

I'm sure i'm going to get some heat for the take i'm about to express here about Python's art, so my flame shield is already in place. Honestly I can't stand Python's backglass art on Grand Lizard. In my opinion, Faris' original backglass artwork destroys the final product by Python. It fits the look of the game much better and i'm puzzled that Williams didn't just rework the original backglass to accommodate the alphanumeric displays they decided on since we know it COULD have been done and still look good on the game. Graphically speaking, Paul's offering was a far more cohesive piece and has a more balanced look, while Python's production art has all kinds of wonky character angles and forced perspectives that don't work and just don't look good in 2D. Paul's hand drawn realism fits this game far better than Python's harsh color palette and 6th grade looking hand drawn cartoonish take. Even today, I still kind of shake my head at Williams' creative choice on this backglass art. Eh, I guess that's part of the charm of pre millenium pinball art.
[quoted image]

That's a valid suggestion. And Faris was certainly a stronger artist than what was put on Grand Lizard. Cohesion between backglass and playfield is something a lot of pins seem to miss.

I always thought so many EMs should have carried their backglass artwork onto the PF, instead of cheaping out with simple geometric designs. I wonder if there was a reason, beyond cost?

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Artist here. I think the art on every pinball machine is wonderful.

Every pin? Nothing you'd do differently on anything?

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

But it feels like the exercise of creating a list and debating specific perceived or real shortcomings puts a high level of criticism on one person—the artist—without really acknowledging how commercial artwork results are driven more by all the other factors and stakeholders that I outlined than the artist themself.

Not at all. Given those constraints you listed, most artists themselves would be able to talk about what they felt would have been better. I know this website tends to go negative immediately on everything, but that's not the intent here. There are only a tiny few pins where I think the artist wasn't up to the task.

#81 1 year ago

Here's an example of a change I'd make - fixing basic human anatomy and proportions. Don't know any good art director who would let this kind of thing go into production. This is a rough comp. Before and after.
cheetah-bg (resized).jpgcheetah-bg (resized).jpgcheetah-bgfix (resized).jpgcheetah-bgfix (resized).jpg

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

We just think your opinion sucks

Which opinion? All I did was ask if there were any pins you think that should have better art. You may not agree with an opinion, and that's fine.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

They aren't, it's just you don't know anatomy and probably haven't done any life drawing. It's not a knock on you, but you clearly aren't an artist. Her neck and head were coming out of her left shoulder. Now they line up with her spine. Her neck was about 6 inches longer than it should be in that position, too. Her arm was too large for a woman and it's position in distance, now it's not.

#91 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think the specific examples you mention actually have good art. But I’m not an artist, so I guess my opinion counts for less?
It’s easy to pick things apart from a distance of 30-40 years. I’d rather focus on what’s best from that time.

Ok, I accept that we have different tastes. So I'd like to know if there is any pin where the art, or absence of art, could have done this or that. But if you're not an artist, maybe you don't have any opinion on it. That's fine too. I'm asking for those who are artists and do have pins they had ideas about to share.

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

I bought my Triple Action for this reason alone and it's not leaving. I haven't even plugged it in yet.

That's awesome. The artist is drawing in a specific stylized way, this is done on purpose.

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Better stay away from Christian Marche games

I looked at some of them, they seemed great - in my own biased opinion that's not worth anything. What specific machine are you thinking about?

#94 1 year ago

Listening to some of the comments, it seems like a lot of pin owners aren't artists or artistically inclined. That is probably why there's so much resistance to having any substantive discussion.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Thanks Jellikit. Her arm isn't messed up, just smaller, from a man's arm to a woman's. I didn't bother to do more than a rough comp, to give the suggestion of what could be done. Obviously we'd redraw the hand and wrist, but the idea is there.

You see, Swampfire, they are very different, not the same at all. I guess you didn't see it because you're not trained as an artist? Which is not a negative, anymore than I'm lost looking at anything but the basics of schematics, since I'm not trained as an electrician.

Medicynal - "To suggest art depicting humans must strictly follow the guidelines of anatomy is an incredibly close-minded take." Agreed. And I have never suggested that. I've already mentioned drawing in style, which can go a lot of ways not tied to traditional representations. I only said that WHEN an artist is attempting to draw a human and they are NOT trying to do a style, my opinion is it should be drawn accurately. Again, just my opinion. Yes, there are many ways to be an artist. But we are only talking about an illustrative artists and illustrations in this thread. I'm interested to here from other artists (from any walks of life) who have felt a certain artwork could be better. Think of it as constructive, or just what they would have done differently.

Jesterfunhouse - 1) Countdown has a woman without a suit outside the capsule in space. That's artistic license. Combining themes and disparate elements is done all the time. This is about art design, or at least I'd like it to be. 2) I admit it's frustrating that so many don't want to contribute as a positive. It's very challenging to try to steer the conversation back on track. 3) amen

Drypaint - this was sort of off track, since the whole thread is asking artists what they feel they would have changed. There are some things, however, that are not subjective to era. Any attempt to render a human in a realistic form should be easy to discuss, because the anatomy hasn't changed. But this is outside of intended style, which is era specific. But besides that, I just wanted to hear what other artists would like to do, have done, or feel could have been done.

girloveswaffles - you can say you would have done something different if what was done is not to your aesthetics. You don't need to know more than what feels right to you. Again, these are all creative opinions meant to be shared. Not gospel. Just a discussion of artistic ideas. Or I had hoped it would be.

"So in other words, suggesting not changing anything is out? Yeah, this thread started out as a rant." Nobody ever said that. Suggesting IS changing. This threat never started out as a rant, I should know, since it's my thread - a rant would be complaining about something and offering no suggestions to address what you are complaining about. I just want to hear from other artists on things they might have done differently, or have thought about doing. How is that a rant? I tried to lead with an example.

gjm - exactly why there are opportunities to dress up the pins with more art, because they were never meant to be taken as art objects, right? It would be interesting to talk about creative choices we would have made had any of us been the artist.

I'll keep posting things I would have done. I don't mind if you disagree, because I'm just voicing my own opinions and thoughts. I do hope that other artists eventually chime in with their own creative ideas.

#112 1 year ago

I always thought it's a shame there isn't artwork on the playfield upper arches for a lot of EMs. Later of course everyone did do plastics there, so I'm glad that change happened. But for these blank white areas, there's opportunity. To suggest something, the art would have to be done in the same style as the pin, maybe carrying some of the backglass art onto the table. I did start working on some art for one of the titles, but life got in the way of finishing. What do you think? Any favorite machine from that era you'd like to see additional art on it's upper arches?

fullplayfield1 (resized).jpgfullplayfield1 (resized).jpg

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

You keep mentioning that you’re an artist. I would sincerely appreciate if you posted some of your art. Let us know how it’s done!

If I did that, then all it is, is an opportunity to attack me personally, given what I've already seen here and elsewhere in the site. Besides, it's not about me, it's an interesting question to those who do like to talk about pinball art.

#134 1 year ago

Sure, if that's what you like.

#135 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I also work with people in the art industry that are not artists and can critique and speak about art in a very thoughtful, elegant, appropriate, and educated way.

It's not hard to tear apart a piece of art from the standpoint of weather or not it is factually correct in it's proportions, perspective, or realism. But the question for me becomes why? Is it because you can and want to prove it? Is it to make something better? I am genuinely curious. I tend to follow threads for vastly different reasons. This one has me puzzled enough to keep checking in.

I hope to see some of them here. Why? Because I know there are people out there who have thought about this, and would have some interesting ideas I'd love to hear.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Also 1980 Skateball- The backglass art was done in the 70's on a failed title (it CAUGHT FIRE and was cancelled plus other reasons) and then Bally recycled the backglass and name.
The 1980 playfield has awesome art, backglass not so much.
Future Spa backglass is cringe inducing to me for some reason which is a shame as it has one of the coolest backglass lamp effects.
Grandpa with a 6-pack is bizarre.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I always thought that too. Love the Skateball playfield. Thank you for sharing!

#138 1 year ago
Quoted from GSones:

Mata Hari. Love the gameplay and most of the art but I would have removed a few of the rolls on her stomach and gone with a more "toned" look.
[quoted image]

Interesting idea. Mata Hari was always one I felt had that beautiful artwork, but the gameplay never lived up to it.

#140 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you were a trained pinball player, you’d have a better appreciation for the gameplay.

Probably true! I only play casually, and less than I'd like.

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

If art sells the game, how the hell did Williams sell 19505 Flash ?

I don't think anyone here has said that art sells the game, although it certainly helps. I was just looking at the Flash art, since I think it's horrible. But the game itself is a great player. That comes first above all, right?

#143 1 year ago

What did everyone think about these prototype slingshot plastics for BSM? Like em? Hate em? It's another area that sometimes gets overlooked. I thought it was interesting they were created but not used.

IMG_4536 (resized).jpgIMG_4536 (resized).jpg
#148 1 year ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

The like the art, and the gothic-esque style, but I chose to not put them on my game as blocking the ball path there would bother me.
Were these mainly cut due to not getting rights to Ryder's appearance?

I think I remember reading that was the case. It's probably the largest difference you could make between plain slingshot plastics and "massively arted" ones, if you could call it that. I wondered about the blocking - form following function, and all that.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Added Color;

That's fun. Thanks for sharing the idea! I think it a good choice to reuse the existing palette. My own preferences for color (not for this one) usually fall around this idea: in the ranges of red-yellow-green-blue. Pick three at most. Also worth noting, there are "cool" shades of warm colors, and "warm" shades of cool colors. (some cool colors are green-blue-purple, while warm colors contain red, yellow and orange). Some work better with others, depending on your intention and goal.

yancy - yep, a very specific style in which the artist drew these, very intentional.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Lots of chatter about the middle of Rush’s playfield. I don’t think it’s that bad - it matches their early appearances pretty well. What would You have done differently, assuming you have creative control but needed the band’s blessing for their likenesses?
[quoted image]

I think the issue for me is their softness - there's no detail, like an airbrush drawing at a fair. It's worse on the two on the right. Sorry, don't know Rush's lineup that well. Anyway, there's no clear linework. Maybe I just cannot see it in the pic. I included a random image off the web showing stronger line work in the face and hair.

Something I was thinking about, when we criticize artwork on a pin, it's not always a reflection on the artist, it can be the art director, the company, the constraints like time, money, parameters they have work within, etc..
pop-art-poster-advertising-a-cleaning-vector-13381591 (resized).jpgpop-art-poster-advertising-a-cleaning-vector-13381591 (resized).jpg

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here’s one for me. I like D&D, it has a fun layout and I’d love to have another one some day. I like the back glass, and don’t mind the playfield. I just always thought that the playfield could have been done better.

What sort of difference were you thinking? What would have made it more cool in your opinion? I'm curious. The colors are pretty. That well-muscled wizard made me laugh.

#175 1 year ago

Careful, keep making references like that and he'll search out other back glasses to berate:
(...and, yeah, Gottlieb's Circus is one of those games that the back glass art doesn't match the playfield art, but I wouldn't change them. They both look fine.)

I really don't like clowns, so circus themes aren't my cup of tea. Having said that, I like these. They are well rendered. Gottlieb had some really amazing backglasses in this era. I don't think I understand your comment about the playfield though - they DID carry the artwork into it, married it to the backglass. Beautiful stuff.

#183 1 year ago

You seriously think this artwork is done by the same artist and that it looks just like the art on the back glass?!?

Did I say that? Reading comprehension issues? Go back and read it again. Here's a hint. Nowhere did I say the same artist. Nor did I say it looks "just like" the backglass art. Go ahead, and then I'll take your apology. But you won't give one, will you?

The only difference is that the playfield and back glass both have GOOD artwork.

Yes, and I agree with you.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Don’t get me wrong. I love the game and like the playfield, but always thought it had too much black and blue. I like the art but thought some of the line work was a bit heavy. Some of the smaller details kinda look muddied to me like either side of the dragon head. In some areas like the black lines around the inserts in the flame, and the large black area in the foreground between the slings. Then the whole plastic set is blue stone, although it’s a different blue stone then what’s on the playfield beside it. I like the concept and design, but wonder what another artist would do with this scene.

Thank you for sharing! I want to spend some time looking at it now, I see what you mean about the plastic set.

#185 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I would like to nominate Last Action Hero as being... awesomely ugly in the art department.

That backglass is just lazy photoshop. Reminds me of one of my favorite poster artists, Drew Struzan. He remarked that he had to retire because the studios found it cheaper to make photoshop heads.

#204 1 year ago

I do have to point out in, uh ... defense... of a lot of the movie, comic book and some other license properties. Most companies have "Style guides" that other companies that license out a product have to follow. you literally have art that's provided, and / or have to follow certain guidelines on what you can or cannot do with the graphic appearance of the license. That may unfortunately explain why a lot of Stern, JJ, etc. have Photoshopped playfields or Backglasses.
https://www.cbr.com/the-entire-1982-dc-comics-style-guide-is-online-and-amazing/
https://www.coroflot.com/jsantomero/Marvel-Corporate-Style-Guide-Marvel
Not sure that explains The Last Action Hero though.

It's certainly a constraint! However most style guides I've seen have been for animation = or comics, and it's to make certain you don't stray from the desired ideal for the character. Scooby must always be a certain color and size compared to Shaggy - that kind of thing. I'm not saying those actor constraints didn't say, use photoshop, but I'd bet they didn't. Generally there's a lot of leeway in how the art is rendered (drawing, airbrush, whatever), but not in likeness and not in anything that doesn't match the brand - poses that aren't selling how the subject would like to be seen doing, that sort of thing.

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Nope, what you are referring to are generally known as model sheets. But any major intellectual property also has a style guide that defines all sorts of mandatories that *must* be met if you’re working with those characters, logos etc. On top of that, in live action properties the actors often have a second level of approval. There’s quite often ZERO leeway in how the artwork must be used. Pretty much every status meeting I run for my team has at least 1-2 projects at risk bc we’re struggling to get approvals from the partners despite using the guides they send us.

So to be clear, in your project example, the partners have specifically stated you must use photoshop photos of the personalities, and no other artistic rendering media - not illustrative likenesses, not fine art, just photos? That would make sense for some advertising, but not for a pinball project. (Logos are a different matter, they are always sacrosanct.)
I suppose you could say it depends on the project type - pinball would be illustrative art, as opposed to print media or things like advertising endorsements. This is the sort of project I was referring to - where the end result is going to be a likeness rendered in some media. Elvira would have control over the pose and likeness, but it would be odd to specify media for this kind of project - what it looks like, yes. But my experience has only been film and television.

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So to be clear, in your project example, the partners have specifically stated you must use photoshop photos of the personalities, and no other artistic rendering media - not illustrative likenesses, not fine art, just photos? Not talking about logos, which are always going to be sacrosanct. It would also depend on the project type - pinball would be illustrative art, as opposed to print media or things like advertising endorsements. Elvira would have control over the pose and likeness, but it would be odd to specify media for this kind of project. I wasn't referring to turn arounds only, btw.

3 weeks later
#213 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry, been AWOL, just saw the page. This is how I spend my days, wandering around muttering about fonts.

I have a great book on Fonts from Carbaga, Logo, Font and Lettering Bible. Great work. Yes, for illustration you need to know your fonts! Papyrus I used to love, until it became the overused font of the 90s. Had to laugh.

1 month later
#215 1 year ago
Quoted from JK_Pinball:

From the first time I saw images of Godzilla I felt that it was way too bright and colorful. Nothing against the artists, he's done wonderful art before. However I feel the game would be much more impactful and eye catching in a line up of games if it was done similar to Centaur with Black and White and Green instead of the red. It would have given that old black and white film feel that I always think of with Godzilla. The super vibrant colors look great on a comic book style game like Avengers, but I didn't feel it was needed on Godzilla.
On of the reasons I love the art on Mando is that it has a limited color pallet like the show does, and gives that spaghetti western feel from the moment you look at it. Godzilla just didn't have that same kind of visual impact and I wish it did.

That's a really interesting take on it. I have been a Godzilla fan since I was a kid watching films like Destroy All Monsters and Rodan. I've seen the game, and now that you mention it, that is exactly why I haven't been interested in playing it. Too many candy colors. Like you said, the artist did a great job, just maybe not the one you and I would have preferred.

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You have no interest in playing Godzilla on location becuase of the artist's color choices??

Well, it's a factor to draw me in, but as we all know, it's only one factor in the appeal to any game. For me, the greater factor is that I don't like cluttered playfields and not a fan of today's modern pins. There are a few pins I won't play because of the art. But very few.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not buying I understand ...
but not dropping a few quarters on location due to art is just odd.

The ones I'm thinking of haven't been in arcades in decades. But I don't know - there are themes I won't play - don't care for the band titles, I will not play a theme I don't like. That's similar, I guess. To me, theme and art trump everything else. I don't care how well a game plays if I have to listen to Rush, or GNR, AC-DC or whatever. And I like those bands. But I don't want them in my pins.

#222 1 year ago

I mostly don't like the art on Godzilla or Rush. But at least I tried them both for free when they were at Wondercon* this year (and The Mandelorian).
[quoted image]
I can say I Might play Godzilla again, but it didn't really grab me. Not because of the art but I didn't like the play that much.
Rush, I hated the whole package. I'd never put money into one of those. the art was the least of the problems with that game for me.
But at least I tried them.
*And thanks to Orange County Pinball for bringing them.

I saw them there. Since they were being played, and because I don't really like new Sterns, I skipped them. But it was cool to see pinballs there! Definitely a big thank you to OC Pinball.

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I won't play games that are evil. For example, iron maiden. The Devil made that machine, and the Devil will not get a single fucking quarter of my hard-earned money!
Oh, and machines that look like they where in bars that sold cigarettes. I won't touch those.

Trying to determine how this relates to a thread on pinball art? Oh well, good for you.

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from JToeps:

Godzilla is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I love this as a designed object but also paid a premium for the Star Wars Comic Art. Trying to keep my collection fun, bright, and colorful.
(Preparing myself to accept the photorealistic clipart on Lebowski)

I love the Star Wars Comic Art! Real artistic designs. Miles above the sloppy photoshop version.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 199.95
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts
$ 45.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-that-art-?tu=MtnFrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.