pasted_image (resized).png
LAH (resized).jpg
LAH2 (resized).png
475F6814-E8A9-4DB3-B77E-DCE67E1908AB (resized).jpeg
There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I've never owned a DE game as I always cringed at the artwork on most of them. Thanks for the video now I know who was behind it all !!! Nice you guys over there have your very own Warwick Capper
Still would like a minty Time Machine though one day!
Those faces on Rush...wow. Reminds me I was super keen on Houdini as I loved the theme and wanted it alongside my Theatre of magic...then I saw that face on the playfield and was instantly turned off the game.

That and two back glasses that make me think "Shoot the Pyramid!"

Not saying that they should change any of them though.

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

... and my only question regarding the playfield is, has anyone ever seen a giraffe at a circus?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#203 2 years ago

Please share pics of the Dirty Donny GOTG backglass.

#204 2 years ago

I do have to point out in, uh ... defense... of a lot of the movie, comic book and some other license properties. Most companies have "Style guides" that other companies that license out a product have to follow. you literally have art that's provided, and / or have to follow certain guidelines on what you can or cannot do with the graphic appearance of the license. That may unfortunately explain why a lot of Stern, JJ, etc. have Photoshopped playfields or Backglasses.
https://www.cbr.com/the-entire-1982-dc-comics-style-guide-is-online-and-amazing/
https://www.coroflot.com/jsantomero/Marvel-Corporate-Style-Guide-Marvel
Not sure that explains The Last Action Hero though.

It's certainly a constraint! However most style guides I've seen have been for animation = or comics, and it's to make certain you don't stray from the desired ideal for the character. Scooby must always be a certain color and size compared to Shaggy - that kind of thing. I'm not saying those actor constraints didn't say, use photoshop, but I'd bet they didn't. Generally there's a lot of leeway in how the art is rendered (drawing, airbrush, whatever), but not in likeness and not in anything that doesn't match the brand - poses that aren't selling how the subject would like to be seen doing, that sort of thing.

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

It's certainly a constraint! However most style guides I've seen have been for animation = or comics, and it's to make certain you don't stray from the desired ideal for the character. Scooby must always be a certain color and size compared to Shaggy - that kind of thing. I'm not saying those actor constraints didn't say, use photoshop, but I'd bet they didn't. Generally there's a lot of leeway in how the art is rendered (drawing, airbrush, whatever), but not in likeness and not in anything that doesn't match the brand - poses that aren't selling how the subject would like to be seen doing, that sort of thing.

Nope, what you are referring to are generally known as model sheets. But any major intellectual property also has a style guide that defines all sorts of mandatories that *must* be met if you’re working with those characters, logos etc. On top of that, in live action properties the actors often have a second level of approval. There’s quite often ZERO leeway in how the artwork must be used. Pretty much every status meeting I run for my team has at least 1-2 projects at risk bc we’re struggling to get approvals from the partners despite using the guides they send us.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Nope, what you are referring to are generally known as model sheets. But any major intellectual property also has a style guide that defines all sorts of mandatories that *must* be met if you’re working with those characters, logos etc. On top of that, in live action properties the actors often have a second level of approval. There’s quite often ZERO leeway in how the artwork must be used. Pretty much every status meeting I run for my team has at least 1-2 projects at risk bc we’re struggling to get approvals from the partners despite using the guides they send us.

So to be clear, in your project example, the partners have specifically stated you must use photoshop photos of the personalities, and no other artistic rendering media - not illustrative likenesses, not fine art, just photos? That would make sense for some advertising, but not for a pinball project. (Logos are a different matter, they are always sacrosanct.)
I suppose you could say it depends on the project type - pinball would be illustrative art, as opposed to print media or things like advertising endorsements. This is the sort of project I was referring to - where the end result is going to be a likeness rendered in some media. Elvira would have control over the pose and likeness, but it would be odd to specify media for this kind of project - what it looks like, yes. But my experience has only been film and television.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So to be clear, in your project example, the partners have specifically stated you must use photoshop photos of the personalities, and no other artistic rendering media - not illustrative likenesses, not fine art, just photos? Not talking about logos, which are always going to be sacrosanct. It would also depend on the project type - pinball would be illustrative art, as opposed to print media or things like advertising endorsements. Elvira would have control over the pose and likeness, but it would be odd to specify media for this kind of project. I wasn't referring to turn arounds only, btw.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So to be clear, in your project example, the partners have specifically stated you must use photoshop photos, and no other artistic rendering media - not illustrative, not fine art, just photos? I wasn't referring to turn arounds only, btw.

In your post, you mention rules about sizing in relation to other characters, color of characters, etc specific to animation or comic books. Those instructions are model sheets and are specific to illustrated artwork. However ANY licensed material generally comes with a toolkit of assets and broad rules on using the assets. Theses assets can be photos, illustrations, logos etc., and occasionally model sheets if relevant. Some partners are open to letting you play with their assets. We were considering doing something really wild and one of our IP partners was like “We’re all in!”. Others are super strict and will tell you that you *must* use the assets they provide even if it doesn’t fully fit your needs. With those partners it is very much what you’re asking about. You have to use what they give you and nothing else.

#209 2 years ago

Talk to Linda Deal about what a nightmare it was to work on Demolition Man and Westley Snipes demanding he look bored.

A big factor when doing work for clients is clients often thinking they know better than the artist. I used to design posters for bands and the amount of interference in the process they’d put up was infuriating and usually the smaller the band the worse it was.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

clients often thinking they know better than the artist

I’m not an “artist” but I do consider myself a professional, and sometimes the job of a professional is to realign the customers expectations with reality.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m not an “artist” but I do consider myself a professional, and sometimes the job of a professional is to realign the customers expectations with reality.

I have to realign customers expectations every day while designing picture framing. Doesn't matter which market: artists, photographers, galleries, interior designers, art consultants, etc.

2 weeks later
#212 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Paging Aurich to talk about the letter H

Sorry, been AWOL, just saw the page. This is how I spend my days, wandering around muttering about fonts.

#213 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry, been AWOL, just saw the page. This is how I spend my days, wandering around muttering about fonts.

I have a great book on Fonts from Carbaga, Logo, Font and Lettering Bible. Great work. Yes, for illustration you need to know your fonts! Papyrus I used to love, until it became the overused font of the 90s. Had to laugh.

4 weeks later
#214 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

Drac's playfield definitely could have used a depiction of old-man with goofy hair Dracula somewhere, rather than shirtless Gary Oldman. That depiction is inseparable from the film yet no where to be found in the game.
Godzilla's artwork is wonderful, but I'd prefer is Godzilla was desaturated a bit. I understand the artistic license and the desire to avoid having your main character the most drab-looking on the playfield, but the bright green Godzilla doesn't look right to my eyes.
[quoted image][quoted image]

From the first time I saw images of Godzilla I felt that it was way too bright and colorful. Nothing against the artists, he's done wonderful art before. However I feel the game would be much more impactful and eye catching in a line up of games if it was done similar to Centaur with Black and White and Green instead of the red. It would have given that old black and white film feel that I always think of with Godzilla. The super vibrant colors look great on a comic book style game like Avengers, but I didn't feel it was needed on Godzilla.

On of the reasons I love the art on Mando is that it has a limited color pallet like the show does, and gives that spaghetti western feel from the moment you look at it. Godzilla just didn't have that same kind of visual impact and I wish it did.

1 week later
#215 1 year ago
Quoted from JK_Pinball:

From the first time I saw images of Godzilla I felt that it was way too bright and colorful. Nothing against the artists, he's done wonderful art before. However I feel the game would be much more impactful and eye catching in a line up of games if it was done similar to Centaur with Black and White and Green instead of the red. It would have given that old black and white film feel that I always think of with Godzilla. The super vibrant colors look great on a comic book style game like Avengers, but I didn't feel it was needed on Godzilla.
On of the reasons I love the art on Mando is that it has a limited color pallet like the show does, and gives that spaghetti western feel from the moment you look at it. Godzilla just didn't have that same kind of visual impact and I wish it did.

That's a really interesting take on it. I have been a Godzilla fan since I was a kid watching films like Destroy All Monsters and Rodan. I've seen the game, and now that you mention it, that is exactly why I haven't been interested in playing it. Too many candy colors. Like you said, the artist did a great job, just maybe not the one you and I would have preferred.

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

That's a really interesting take on it. I have been a Godzilla fan since I was a kid watching films like Destroy All Monsters and Rodan. I've seen the game, and now that you mention it, that is exactly why I haven't been interested in playing it. Too many candy colors. Like you said, the artist did a great job, just maybe not the one you and I would have preferred.

You have no interest in playing Godzilla on location becuase of the artist's color choices??

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You have no interest in playing Godzilla on location becuase of the artist's color choices??

Well, it's a factor to draw me in, but as we all know, it's only one factor in the appeal to any game. For me, the greater factor is that I don't like cluttered playfields and not a fan of today's modern pins. There are a few pins I won't play because of the art. But very few.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

There are a few pins I won't play because of the art.

Not buying I understand ...
but not dropping a few quarters on location due to art is just odd.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not buying I understand ...
but not dropping a few quarters on location due to art is just odd.

The ones I'm thinking of haven't been in arcades in decades. But I don't know - there are themes I won't play - don't care for the band titles, I will not play a theme I don't like. That's similar, I guess. To me, theme and art trump everything else. I don't care how well a game plays if I have to listen to Rush, or GNR, AC-DC or whatever. And I like those bands. But I don't want them in my pins.

#221 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I mostly don't like the art on Godzilla or Rush. But at least I tried them both for free when they were at Wondercon* this year (and The Mandelorian).
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
I can say I Might play Godzilla again, but it didn't really grab me. Not because of the art but I didn't like the play that much.
Rush, I hated the whole package. I'd never put money into one of those. the art was the least of the problems with that game for me.
But at least I tried them.

*And thanks to Orange County Pinball for bringing them.

#222 1 year ago

I mostly don't like the art on Godzilla or Rush. But at least I tried them both for free when they were at Wondercon* this year (and The Mandelorian).
[quoted image]
I can say I Might play Godzilla again, but it didn't really grab me. Not because of the art but I didn't like the play that much.
Rush, I hated the whole package. I'd never put money into one of those. the art was the least of the problems with that game for me.
But at least I tried them.
*And thanks to Orange County Pinball for bringing them.

I saw them there. Since they were being played, and because I don't really like new Sterns, I skipped them. But it was cool to see pinballs there! Definitely a big thank you to OC Pinball.

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I saw them there. Since they were being played, and because I don't really like new Sterns, I skipped them. But it was cool to see pinballs there! Definitely a big thank you to OC Pinball.

I'm curios to see if they have the Pinball Lounge at San Diego Comic Con this year.

#224 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I have a great book on Fonts from Carbaga, Logo, Font and Lettering Bible. Great work. Yes, for illustration you need to know your fonts! Papyrus I used to love, until it became the overused font of the 90s. Had to laugh.

Typesetinthefuture.com is a tongue in cheek commentary on fonts used in films. I particularly liked the Alien piece

#225 1 year ago

I won't play games that are evil. For example, iron maiden. The Devil made that machine, and the Devil will not get a single fucking quarter of my hard-earned money!

Oh, and machines that look like they where in bars that sold cigarettes. I won't touch those.

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I won't play games that are evil. For example, iron maiden. The Devil made that machine, and the Devil will not get a single fucking quarter of my hard-earned money!
Oh, and machines that look like they where in bars that sold cigarettes. I won't touch those.

Trying to determine how this relates to a thread on pinball art? Oh well, good for you.

#227 1 year ago

You need to understand Tranquilize’s sense of humour!

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Trying to determine how this relates to a thread on pinball art? Oh well, good for you.

I think he's joking because he owns the machine.

#229 1 year ago

Godzilla is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I love this as a designed object but also paid a premium for the Star Wars Comic Art. Trying to keep my collection fun, bright, and colorful.

(Preparing myself to accept the photorealistic clipart on Lebowski)

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from JToeps:

Godzilla is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I love this as a designed object but also paid a premium for the Star Wars Comic Art. Trying to keep my collection fun, bright, and colorful.
(Preparing myself to accept the photorealistic clipart on Lebowski)

I love the Star Wars Comic Art! Real artistic designs. Miles above the sloppy photoshop version.

1 year later
#231 8 months ago

The OP did a good job of stimulating dialog on pinball art and how important it is to those captured by these machines. Many of us were drawn in to these games in part by the beautiful artwork. Creative pinball artwork of the 50's, 60's, and 70's got me interested in pinball, which in turn has stimulated interest in modern art and its various movements.

It is unfortunate that in this era of licensed images that it is much harder for artists to show their creativity. Don't see how it will change, but one can hope.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-that-art-/page/5?hl=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.