Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shimoda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Rock Gottlieb, 1985

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider earflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So I spent a bit of time on this and looks like I'm going to have to put a pin in it for now. I have a Gottlieb Rock, Sys80b pinballs machine with some terrible flippers. I remember watching a vid from TNT where they swapped out the Gottlieb flipper for Williams but I forget the machine they did it on. I had some new Williams flipper parts for a WPC machine and thought I would try to tackle swapping out the Gottlieb flipper assembly for the Williams WPC with the Orange Fl-15411 coils. After checking and double checking my connections...no go. Apparently I'm running a 50v coil in a 24v machine and that's not going to work...grrrr....should have checked that out before wasting 1/2 my day.

So, I still would like to change out the Gottlieb flippers as, even though they're worn out, I generally don't like the clunky feel to these. In handling them on the table, the Gottlieb flippers are quite heavy compare to the Williams and I believe that has something to do with the poor response/feel....outside of them also being worn out. My question is, without me having to research every coil, is this something somebody else has successfully done on a Sys80 Gottlieb?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I've never had to try something else in place of Gottlieb flipper assemblies. No reason to, I rebuild them and they work great afterwards.
Steve

I hear you, Steve. In this case though, I got a run-down pin that I didn't have too much into and wouldn't ever command top dollar no matter how nice I made it. This was a good recipient to experiment with. I'm a bit of a tweaker and the pinball hobby I enjoy most is tearing the machines down and trying to improve on things that I feel could be improved on.

That being said, you probably noticed that I also live in an area of Canada where pinball parts are not readily available and come at a premium when you track them down and order. I started out by trying to repair the sloppy, worn out Gottlieb flippers with some parts from Williams machines I had laying around. Those mods all came up dry as the flipper parts are so different. Had a full WPC assembly as an option which is why I landed where I did.

I only add that so you don't think I'm a complete bafoon and can see where I'm coming from. But I do appreciate your input and it made me start to think that this swap is too difficult and not worth buying the Williams flipper parts to do it. I guess I'll restore it to the way it was designed and drop the experiment.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Since there is no FlipTonics board, the best that could be achieved is System 11 flippers.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Thanks Chris, this is the information I was looking for. Hard to track down obscure requests like this and always a treat when someone much more knowledgeable than me responds.

As you seen in my previous post to Steve, I'm likely going to give up the experiment and order the right parts...I have a Diamond Lady on route so I'll need more of the Gottlieb parts anyway. I'll clean up the flippers, bubblegum the worn out parts back together as best I can and enjoy it as is until the new parts arrive.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

So why don't you use the Gottlieb coils on Williams flippers?

Started out going that way but they're a different size. Could look for Gottlieb coils that were the right size and resistance...hmmmm.

There's a wonky EOS switch on the right side flipper as well. It's a double switch where the second set of blades activates a right flipper switch for some reason. Haven't quite figured that one out yet but that's the least of my worries....I would still have to order the right Gottlieb coil first.

#11 8 years ago

Ya, I think I'll just clean up the old flippers for now and order a rebuild kit from Steve. Thanks for your voices of reasoning and input guys.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider earflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-out-sys80-flippers-to-williams?tu=earflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.