47%

(212 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.00.49 PM (resized).png
giphy.gif
BAFD0923-EC18-44CA-B772-248DAD8A6E0D (resized).jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1ee (resized).jpeg

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Right ramp that's incredibly difficult to make? Check.

Magna slings that will throw the ball SDTM? Oh yeah.

Hidden stand up targets that will stuff you if you don't backhand? Yep. Bonus for balls draining from above and targets deflecting SDTM? Oh hell yeah.

Don't want to know what your score is after a ball ends? Awesome!

Wider flipper gap for no reason? Yes!

Balls coming out of pops near gozer and going SDTM? Oh perfect, and even though you can see it coming and nudge all the way you're still screwed due to wide flipper gap.

Unbalanced scoring? Sure!

Unfinished code? This game has it all! Wait, no it doesn't.

I imagine I'll just get told to play better, but this game just has too many serious flaws. Love the theme, but the game just isn't fun. The reason for the rant is it came up in league, so I was forced to play it. I've never played the pro, maybe it's better without the magna slings.

#2 4 years ago

Co-signed.

#3 4 years ago

Right ramp is not that difficult.
Magna Slings - it follows the theme of ghosts that grab your ball and toss it around. Get in the spirit of the game and approach it with a sense of humor.
Hidden stand up targets. It the Scoleri brothers. They're supposed to bust your balls and keep you from scoring. They only pop up because you miss right lane and keep hitting the captive ball. Get over it.
Not knowing score - this sucks. Terrible flaw in coding.
Wider flipper gap - makes the game tough. I love tough games.
Gozer sdtm- hmmm... realign your scoop.
Unbalanced scoring- I don't think it's too bad. Multiball scoring is huge but it's also a very difficult multi to get activated.
The LE should have the magna slings turned off if it was a league night for sure. They're just too unpredictable. But at home playing with friends for dollars, I just love it because of the theme.
Play better. Just kidding.
It can be a brutal game but that's why it stays in my collection and won't leave for a long time.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Right ramp is not that difficult.
Magna Slings - it follows the theme of ghosts that grab your ball and toss it around. Get in the spirit of the game and approach it with a sense of humor.
Hidden stand up targets. It the Scoleri brothers. They're supposed to bust your balls and keep you from scoring. They only pop up because you miss right lane and keep hitting the captive ball. Get over it.
Not knowing score - this sucks. Terrible flaw in coding.
Wider flipper gap - makes the game tough. I love tough games.
Gozer sdtm- hmmm... realign your scoop.
Unbalanced scoring- I don't think it's too bad. Multiball scoring is huge but it's also a very difficult multi to get activated.
The LE should have the magna slings turned off if it was a league night for sure. They're just too unpredictable. But at home playing with friends for dollars, I just love it because of the theme.
Play better. Just kidding.
It can be a brutal game but that's why it stays in my collection and won't leave for a long time.

My sense of humor when I'm having a good game and get magna drained is zero. Almost every time it happens the ball will do a little spiral loop in front of the flippers and gone. Drives me crazy. I've got no problem with tough games, in fact that makes tough games more of a keeper for me. I'm playing it on route, so I'm limited on adjustments. Most shots up right ramp fail halfway. I've tried to like it but really it just seems to have poor design.

The poll results and my thumbs up/ down are interesting. Seems people feel strongly one way or another.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

My sense of humor when I'm having a good game and get magna drained is zero. Almost every time it happens the ball will do a little spiral loop in front of the flippers and gone. Drives me crazy. I've got no problem with tough games, in fact that makes tough games more of a keeper for me. I'm playing it on route, so I'm limited on adjustments. Most shots up right ramp fail halfway. I've tried to like it but really it just seems to have poor design.
The poll results and my thumbs up/ down are interesting. Seems people feel strongly one way or another.

Long gone because of this .. I was never amused either getting shafted by the magna slings for no apparant reason.

Haha, .. not!

#6 4 years ago

You forgot that it can also be the air ball champ. Yes you can buy the deflectors but out of the box it does throw some hi fast balls

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Ohhhhh yeah I can feel your pain if its being played on route. This is strictly a game for the home or Pro only for on route.
Because I can start a new game anytime I want.

#8 4 years ago

Manga slings are cheap for sure, and I’ve gotten my share of sdtm throws. But all slingshots are cheap, the whole point of them is to screw you over.

I would say the amount of dirty middle drains I’ve gotten off the magnas is on par with the amount of outlane power drains I’ve gotten off of traditional slings on any other table.

#9 4 years ago

Sold my premium after three weeks I think. It was the only game that pissed me off so much it almost got turned on it’s side one night... literally.

#10 4 years ago

Magnaslings are the absolute worst.

#11 4 years ago

I agree that the game has flaws but once you get it setup correct. It is just a great machine! That means a lot of work first. Airball deflector, middle post, raising the outlanes, adjusting scolarie spring, adjust degree of the machine, adjust hex post right ramp, adjust switch subway ramp, adjust flippers, etc.
Oh and adjust the soundtrack for some awesome music!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

The reason for the rant is it came up in league, so I was forced to play it

Ghostbusters can be brutal on location if not set up properly and it can be frustrating for some people.

-Right ramp is easy to hit-no problem
-Magna Slings are best innovation in the last ten years of pinball. Yes they are unpredictable-they are supposed to be random and keep you on your toes. I love the magna slings!
-Scoleri pop-ups are perfectly placed and give the player a true risk vs reward shot
-Wider flipper gap because that is Trudeau's signature and it is on all of his games. Makes the game difficult and unique-you have to adjust your flipper control techniques for wider gap.
-While I do agree that the code needs a final polish, I also have never gotten even close to the wizard mode on this game. It reminds me of the people that complain about unfinished wizard mode code on Wheel of Fortune. I will never get to wizard mode on WOF(and I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to anyway), so it really does not bother me with incomplete code-moot point.

Ghostbusters is a masterpiece and one of the best games made in the last ten years. I am sorry it kicked you in the nuts and you gave up. May try a dialed in one in a home environment, and it also helps to have awesome music and sounds from Cleland's remix.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wider flipper gap because that is Trudeau's signature and it is on all of his games. Makes the game difficult and unique-you have to adjust your flipper control techniques for wider gap.

I believe GB’s flipper gap is an extra 1/8” wider than Trudeau’s typically wide flipper gap.

#14 4 years ago

I also do not enjoy the premium/LE ghost buster but i own and enjoy the pro version just wished they would polish up the code.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I believe GB’s flipper gap is an extra 1/8” wider than Trudeau’s typically wide flipper gap.

Not sure about that?

You can also add carrot flippers and center post. The first couple months owning Ghostbusters LE was frustrating with the flipper gap. Then over time I realized how it makes the game unique/difficult and how enjoyable it is to have to tweak your technique. You literally have to play this game different than any other game, especially when trying to post pass between flippers.

#16 4 years ago

I don’t enjoy the game and I’ll never understand the gushing over the art. All of the translates look awful.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I don’t enjoy the game and I’ll never understand the gushing over the art. All of the translates look awful.

Is there anything you like in any game? Starting to think not.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Is there anything you like in any game? Starting to think not.

What are you talking about? I enjoy every machine I own, some more than others.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Manga slings are cheap for sure, and I’ve gotten my share of sdtm throws. But all slingshots are cheap, the whole point of them is to screw you over.
I would say the amount of dirty middle drains I’ve gotten off the magnas is on par with the amount of outlane power drains I’ve gotten off of traditional slings on any other table.

Agree 100%

Magna-slings are no more unfair than regular slings and 1000% cooler!

Also, I don’t know why modern pinball machines need to be so forgiveable. In the EM and early SS era wide flipper gaps and hungry outlines were the norm and I doubt people were whining about how unfair they were.

#20 4 years ago

This game sucks...Theme is awesome, and it looks amazing, but it is just not fun to play at all

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure about that?
You can also add carrot flippers and center post. The first couple months owning Ghostbusters LE was frustrating with the flipper gap. Then over time I realized how it makes the game unique/difficult and how enjoyable it is to have to tweak your technique. You literally have to play this game different than any other game, especially when trying to post pass between flippers.

Are people really adding a center post? That's a pretty major modification.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I don’t know why modern pinball machines need to be so forgiveable. In the EM and early SS era wide flipper gaps and hungry outlines were the norm and I doubt people were whining about how unfair they were.

Because it's $1 a play. Same reason people rage about getting houseballed on Star Wars when that used to happen all the time too.

I have a Future Spa on location and the right inlane is the meanest thing I've ever seen, but everyone just raves about how awesome that game is because it's a quarter so they can afford not to care.

#23 4 years ago

This was by far the biggest anticipation I ever felt for a NIB game only to be so disappointed I have gone to 2 consecutive TPFs and purposefully not played it. I can only hear about symmetrical back stacking and someone bringing a dog so many times....

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

They're buying some plastic protector like kit that spans the gap between the flippers and dangles a center post from above. As far as I know, people aren't actually drilling the play field with this mod, so at least it's reversible.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Ghostbusters can be brutal on location if not set up properly and it can be frustrating for some people.
-Right ramp is easy to hit-no problem
-Magna Slings are best innovation in the last ten years of pinball. Yes they are unpredictable-they are supposed to be random and keep you on your toes. I love the magna slings!
-Scoleri pop-ups are perfectly placed and give the player a true risk vs reward shot
-Wider flipper gap because that is Trudeau's signature and it is on all of his games. Makes the game difficult and unique-you have to adjust your flipper control techniques for wider gap.
-While I do agree that the code needs a final polish, I also have never gotten even close to the wizard mode on this game. It reminds me of the people that complain about unfinished wizard mode code on Wheel of Fortune. I will never get to wizard mode on WOF(and I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to anyway), so it really does not bother me with incomplete code-moot point.
Ghostbusters is a masterpiece and one of the best games made in the last ten years. I am sorry it kicked you in the nuts and you gave up. May try a dialed in one in a home environment, and it also helps to have awesome music and sounds from Cleland's remix.

I agree here. I don't understand the hate. I think it is a great game that is one of Stern's best titles in the last few years.
In addition, the soundtrack and music are excellent and entertaining.

Maybe the difference is a home environment. I have many many hours of play on the machine, and it is difficult, yes, but great fun.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

They're buying some plastic protector like kit that spans the gap between the flippers and dangles a center post from above. As far as I know, people aren't actually drilling the play field with this mod, so at least it's reversible.

The kit comes with a plastic centerpost that mounts from above. Mine snapped off after 2 months of use from constantly getting drilled. I replaced it with a metal one. You still get plenty of center drains on balls that come down at an angle and miss the center post.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The kit comes with a plastic centerpost that mounts from above. Mine snapped off after 2 months of use from constantly getting drilled. I replaced it with a metal one. You still get plenty of center drains on balls that come down at an angle and miss the center post.

I figured that center post might get some abuse in the form a some high speed ricochets coming it's way, LOL.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I really hate this argument. The game should be setup properly from the factory. I've played many GB's and they all have issues that make gameplay frustrating. I cannot think of any other modern game that is like that. I like a lot of the elements of GB but as a whole it just doesn't work. Worst for me is balls that hop, skip, and jump over inlanes and flippers as well as cheap drains. You end up where most games are just an exercise in keeping the ball for draining. Not fun. Then there is the useless right ramp and unbalanced scoring. I do really like the drop targets in the middle of the pf. Reminds me of CC and really like that part of gameplay. I wish more games had that feature. It's risky hitting them but I kind of like that.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Right ramp that's incredibly difficult to make? Check.
Magna slings that will throw the ball SDTM? Oh yeah.
Hidden stand up targets that will stuff you if you don't backhand? Yep. Bonus for balls draining from above and targets deflecting SDTM? Oh hell yeah.
Don't want to know what your score is after a ball ends? Awesome!
Wider flipper gap for no reason? Yes!
Balls coming out of pops near gozer and going SDTM? Oh perfect, and even though you can see it coming and nudge all the way you're still screwed due to wide flipper gap.
Unbalanced scoring? Sure!
Unfinished code? This game has it all! Wait, no it doesn't.
I imagine I'll just get told to play better, but this game just has too many serious flaws. Love the theme, but the game just isn't fun. The reason for the rant is it came up in league, so I was forced to play it. I've never played the pro, maybe it's better without the magna slings.

On the plus side it has a dumb video mode that can give a player 75 million in three skills shots.

Which is about 3X what you'll get during the dumb main multiball.

Besides the terrible layout and dumb pop up drop targets that block every important shot in the game and can't timed out, the code is a hot mess. Loopin' Supers would be fun, except it always happens during multiball or some other distracting mode and you can't focus on loopin'. The multiball sucks with no clear objective other than flail mindlessly and collect your 25 million points (It's ALWAYS 25 million points). A couple of the modes are ok but god forbid your Scoleris pop up as you may as well just drain and save yourself the trouble.

Man that game sucks. And I know you guys want your code update (because you mention it every 10 minutes) but adding what is sure to be another dumb wizard mode into the mix isn't going to fix this game. Given how distasteful finishing up Truedau's "masterpiece" must seem to anybody who works at Stern, you guys should probably just stop asking as nobody is going to put any real heart and soul into polishing up a horrible person's legacy. I'm sure nobody over there wants to work on it which is why it's been so long.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I really hate this argument. The game should be setup properly from the factory. I've played many GB's and they all have issues that make gameplay frustrating. I cannot think of any other modern game that is like that. I like a lot of the elements of GB but as a whole it just doesn't work. Worst for me is balls that hop, skip, and jump over inlanes and flippers as well as cheap drains. You end up where most games are just an exercise in keeping the ball for draining. Not fun. Then there is the useless right ramp and unbalanced scoring. I do really like the drop targets in the middle of the pf. Reminds me of CC and really like that part of gameplay. I wish more games had that feature. It's risky hitting them but I kind of like that.

There is a location game near me that has had one for 2.5 years, and the owner refuses to adjust the scoop power to stop from sending the ball SDTM every time. They shipped from the factory like that, and can be fixed in under a minute.

#31 4 years ago

Serious Players....It sucks.
Fun Players.....Its a blast!

I see the perspective from Tournament friends, but for me, its been 3 years? of Fun!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Serious Players....It sucks.
Fun Players.....Its a blast!
I see the perspective from Tournament friends, but for me, its been 3 years? of Fun!

That’s about what I think. Love to play at my friends house with a beer(s), but I could see being frustrated if I had to own the pin.

#33 4 years ago

I had the premium. Some days I loved it. Some days I simply couldn’t stand it. Although, I always liked the magna slings. Great innovation. No more punishing than regular slings. Right ramp was poorly engineered I understand the love/hate responses. It’s that kind of game. I don’t miss it though.

#34 4 years ago

Not a fan of GB. The one we had on location had problem after problem. Worse than that, it simply wasn't a fun table. Poor flow compared to the other tables we had (original MB, MMr).

#35 4 years ago

I had a LE and tried to like it. The theme was great but the layout and the magna thing sucked. I sold it within 6 months.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I took mine out when I bought my Premium HUO, u dont need it.

I like GB, it is probably the most unique Stern game in the modern era. Yes its different, I would agree with that. I might go as far to say the game is refreshing because of how its designed. I wanted to hate it, but I succumbed, glad I did.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I agree that the game has flaws but once you get it setup correct. It is just a great machine! That means a lot of work first. Airball deflector, middle post, raising the outlanes, adjusting scolarie spring, adjust degree of the machine, adjust hex post right ramp, adjust switch subway ramp, adjust flippers, etc.
Oh and adjust the soundtrack for some awesome music!

add rubber to inlane/outlane, add longer style flippers, adjust left scoop so it doesn't go sdtm... I'm guessing there were so many preorders/demand that Stern just said, "here you go, good luck" and released it. Then JT got in trouble and now nobody at Stern wants to even look at the code. Could have used 6 more months before release.

#38 4 years ago

I enjoy it. It is a fun novelty....pinball can be a fun novelty on a game like GB; It will frustrate and reward you for no apparent or predictable reason, or a serious sport on a well designed responsive pinball machine. GB is not for the seriously competitive pinball sportos.

#39 4 years ago

Really wanted to like this game. Theme would have been great for my kids. Even my wife wanted to play it. Then there was the flipper gap. Game over. It’s just not fun for family players. I still like to play it myself but had to pass on buying one.

#40 4 years ago

I put carrot flippers on the game and helps dramatically.

I agree there are a lot of imperfections which I won't list, but it's my wife's favorite and a blast to play. Some people like and some don't that's with every game out there.

#41 4 years ago

The Pro is a much better version of the game to play. The left ramp is much smoother, no magna-slings, and I prefer the right ramp design on that model as well. I actually like the layout and the way that game plays but I wouldn't own one in its current code state.

The best thing they could do on this game is nuke all the skillshots and just light the modes from the start. Just put in a simple points skillshot worth 500K or whatever.

#42 4 years ago

Having owned GB Prem for over a year now all I can say is the game rewards those who carefully aim their shots and absolutely punishes anyone who tries to force flow or flip on the fly. Adding all these unnecessary mods and alterations to "improve" the play-ability is just silly. The only thing larger than the flipper gap on this game is the amount its been blown out of proportion. GB takes a different approach and once you understand and get past that, the game is pretty fun. Its definitely not without its flaws ( i.e. terrible Scolari bros drop response and countless airballs), but it also doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism ( unless talking about code...). I don't think people like the fact that the machine has the ability to humble the best of them

#43 4 years ago

I think it's a great game with some major flaws. I think it's a good game to have at home but never pay a dollar to play it on location.

#44 4 years ago

I had a pro for a while. I thought the layout was unique and fun, the art is awesome, but didn't enjoy the flipper gap. However, what killed it for me was the linear nature of the code. I thought I'd go crazy if I heard "OK, who brought the dog" one more time.

#45 4 years ago

Varity is the spice of life. Used to be only Williams did cool out of the box ideas and very different games and now Stern is just knocking them out of the park.

GB has spanking shots and can be evil. Suits the theme. Bad game = slimed. lol

My only complaint is I wish the cabinets were like the stern games of the 2000's with normal power on switches and the classic stern hardware.

But GB is a great game. Not all games are the same and thank goodness. Some really cool ideas in this game.

Go stern!

#46 4 years ago

I’ve played this game (pro version) on a bar and was not into it. I really like GB theme.
At the same time, i’ve read above really interesting comments on the gameplay but I don’t get why this game is ranked #26.
The playfield art is great sure but translite... and gameplay... not great for me.
Seems like the rank are made mainly by the owners who often want to justify their purshase.
But... it’s only my opinion.

#47 4 years ago

I think the "change my mind" thing is supposed to be used when a majority of people don't agree with you.

Quoted from seenev:

I think it's a great game with some major flaws.

"great games" don't have major flaws.

#48 4 years ago

I don‘t know why but I like my GB a lot! Whenever I want to play a challenging short game I do it and when the game ends to be a long one it’s extremely satisfying. If it’s a short one I want immediately to start a new one. I had a lot of games in my collection and played a lot of the others on location but GB is one of the very few I can spend an hour and still have continuous fun although I‘m upset about the software status.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the "change my mind" thing is supposed to be used when a majority of people don't agree with you.

"great games" don't have major flaws.

To be fair, the OP set a pretty low bar here. We just have to convince him it's not the worst in the modern era (anybody want to start throwing other games under the bus?).

#50 4 years ago

I have the pro (never played the premium) and the right ramp sucks on it too. I turned off the Scoleri Brothers because hitting them frequently led to the ball bouncing back OVER the flippers or outlane rails and about 20% of the time a direct and hard hit didn't even drop them. It is way better with them gone. I also got the mod with a center post and outlane blockers. All of this has made it a great game IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-my-mind-ghostbusters-le-has-the-worst-design-of-the-modern-era and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.