• Latest reply 2 years ago by Gogojohnnyquack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A6A57DBF-D3A7-4BF9-9C8E-5697D858EFE7 (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I am trying to change the language in a Lost World Jurassic Park (Sega/Stern Whitestar) and understand that the ROMs need to be changed. I have downloaded the ROM package from IPDB and when unzipped have the files:

Jp2_u7.bin
Jp2_u17.bin
Jp2_u21.bin
JP2CPU.202
JP2DSPA.201

I believe that I only have to update the CPU and Display ROMS (?) and have removed the CPU (U210) and Display (U12) ROMs, which are 27C040 chips.

I burned and verified the JP2CPU.202 and JP2DSPA.201 files onto 27C4001 chips as ROM files, not BIN. My understanding is that 27C040 and 27C4001 chips are interchangeable and the same ones worked in my Demolition Man. I installed the two chips back in the boards in the correct orientation but now all the pin does is blink the GI on/off. No sounds, display, or anything.

Edit: I set the DIP switches for USA before installing the updated CPU & DSP ROMS.

Do I also need to update the ROMs for u7, u17, and u21?

Help?

#2 2 years ago

Doesn’t the game need dip switch settings changed? I never have changed the language, so I’m not fully sure but page 6 of manual

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4136/Sega_Jurassic_Park_The_Lost_World_manual.pdf

A6A57DBF-D3A7-4BF9-9C8E-5697D858EFE7 (resized).png
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Doesn’t the game need dip switch settings changed? I never have changed the language, so I’m not fully sure but page 6 of manual
https://www.ipdb.org/files/4136/Sega_Jurassic_Park_The_Lost_World_manual.pdf[quoted image]

Yes, thank you. I should have mentioned that I set the DIP switches before I installed the ROMs.

#4 2 years ago

It's in the ROM unfortunately. You have to order new ones.

#5 2 years ago

You used the wrong size EPROM for the CPU. 128KB file = 1024kbit EPROM. 27010 or equivalent.

#6 2 years ago

Or if you only have 4Mb ROM's you could do:
copy /B JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202 burnme.rom

and then burn the burnme.rom file to the 4Mb ROM.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Yes, thank you. I should have mentioned that I set the DIP switches before I installed the ROMs.

ah ok.

#8 2 years ago

Thank you for the input everyone. Am I correct that I should be burning the JP2CPU.202 and JP2DSPA.201 as ROM files and not BIN?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Or if you only have 4Mb ROM's you could do:
copy /B JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202+JP2CPU.202 burnme.rom
and then burn the burnme.rom file to the 4Mb ROM.

Not sure if you're serious about this but I have never heard about this sort of operation before.

#10 2 years ago

UPDATE - I have english after burning the JP2DSPA.201 file as a BIN. Initially the display was blank but after re-seating the ribbon cables it came to life. I'll clean all those pins and probably replace the ribbon cables for the long term.

The game came with CPU v1.02 and the DIP switches appear to change what country it boots as. I have had no luck yet burning the JP2CPU.202 file to either a 27C040 (stock) or 27C4001, the game only blinks the GI after power up.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside