Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20171016_141440 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So, I recently acquired a Gottlieb Fast Draw which is missing the head. I am new to the hobby as an owner but have been a wallflower for some time. I was wondering what are the chances that I can find a head for my FD regardless of condition? I am not sure if I'll be looking for the rest of my life for one? This definitely needs a restore but I am hesitant to start unless I find the rest. Are there more loose heads or bodies out there?
Thanks for any help, Atari

#2 1 year ago

Perhaps not "the rest of your life", but a fairly long time, or maybe not, it's hard to tell and can be fairly random. I do believe they made quite a few of them. Hopefully you didn't pay too much!

I agree, do not start on a restoration or really any work before you find the head.

While other 4-player heads *CLOSE TO THE YEAR* will certainly not match up to the wiring of Fast Draw, it may be worth looking into how close they are to others. Unfortunately due to the extremely unfortunate copyrights over Gottlieb material, this is difficult - but if you order a Fast Draw schematic (they can be bought just not easily found online) I have a few similar schematics I downloaded that we could compare to see how wide your range for searching could be, with minor adjustments in wiring needed of course.

Just shoot me a PM if you have or find a schematic for your game and I'll start comparing them for you!

ALSO: An interesting thing to note is that I believe heads are swappable so if you find a TWO-PLAYER "Quick Draw" head, it should fit if I am not mistaken. All parts that differentiate 2-player machines and 4-player machines with the same rules, artwork, and designs (carbon copy ones) are usually in the head. (Perhaps minus the relay bank relays?)

This also means you could possibly rewire two-player heads too, so it opens up the possibilities a little bit, but rewiring would work would certainly be needed, if possible/optimal at all.

#3 1 year ago

Lucky me I paid nothing. It was being tossed. I talked to the people tossing it they knew nothing about it nor did they have the head So the price was right. I can do the body work but the internals I need to get. I have learned that it is similar to quick draw(2-player version) but the games look to be different shape. I would order a schematic online IDk where to find. I'm still new and am learning about the pin side of things

Quoted from Otaku:

Perhaps not "the rest of your life", but a fairly long time, or maybe not, it's hard to tell and can be fairly random. I do believe they made quite a few of them. Hopefully you didn't pay too much!
I agree, do not start on a restoration or really any work before you find the head.
While other 4-player heads *CLOSE TO THE YEAR* will certainly not match up to the wiring of Fast Draw, it may be worth looking into how close they are to others. Unfortunately due to the extremely unfortunate copyrights over Gottlieb material, this is difficult - but if you order a Fast Draw schematic (they can be bought just not easily found online) I have a few similar schematics I downloaded that we could compare to see how wide your range for searching could be, with minor adjustments in wiring needed of course.
Just shoot me a PM if you have or find a schematic for your game and I'll start comparing them for you!
ALSO: An interesting thing to note is that I believe heads are swappable so if you find a TWO-PLAYER "Quick Draw" head, it should fit if I am not mistaken. All parts that differentiate 2-player machines and 4-player machines with the same rules, artwork, and designs (carbon copy ones) are usually in the head. (Perhaps minus the relay bank relays?)
This also means you could possibly rewire two-player heads too, so it opens up the possibilities a little bit, but rewiring would work would certainly be needed, if possible/optimal at all.

#4 1 year ago

Yes, the heads are different sizes (only taller/shorter) but I mean if you find an entire 2-player complete head you should be able to put it on, well you definitely will be able to physically, but I mean wiring-compatability wise. (Perhaps with some minor wiring changes still)

You can order a schematic from Pinball Resource or Marco Specialities. I personally highly recommend Marco Specialities. I buy from them often, and they are the only one of the two that have online ordering.

At least it gives you a starting base on what kind of heads may be a close match to rig up via other schematics that others (like me) may have.

#5 1 year ago

Thank you, I just ordered a manual and schematics for my game. I do not mind a Quick Draw or another head that may also work. I am totally open and excited to learn about the hobby and like the fact that there are repo and NOS parts for this game.
You are giving me hope for this one where it was considered DOA. I will pm you the moment I get the specs
Thank you,

Quoted from Otaku:

Yes, the heads are different sizes (only taller/shorter) but I mean if you find an entire 2-player complete head you should be able to put it on, well you definitely will be able to physically, but I mean wiring-compatability wise. (Perhaps with some minor wiring changes still)
You can order a schematic from Pinball Resource or Marco Specialities. I personally highly recommend Marco Specialities. I buy from them often, and they are the only one of the two that have online ordering.
At least it gives you a starting base on what kind of heads may be a close match to rig up via other schematics that others (like me) may have.

#6 1 year ago

It would probably be easier to find a whole other fast draw, either working or project, that way you can mix & match parts & hopefully make one awesome game. I hope you bought your parts from Pbresource, they're the best for EM parts.

#7 1 year ago

For some reason I have always been fascinated with the idea of matching up orphaned heads and cabs. Something satisfying about turning a couple parts games into a working player.

I matched up a head and cab once but didn't reach the finish line.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reunited-and-it-feels-so-good-another-pb-love-story

An even more inspiring matchup.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1962-world-series-pinball-restore-story

It can be done, but requires patience, luck and possibly shipping.

#8 1 year ago

I agree. It would be easier to find a project or parts FD and use the parts you need from it including the head for your machine.

Bruce

#9 1 year ago

I had a headless King of Diamonds... and on my last trip to Allentown I stopped by CoinOp Warehouse and wouldnt you know they had a KoD head... and I bought it/brought it home. Sadly althou I have the pieces it just isnt worth trying to resurrect this game, pf is shot, bg is shot, cab fell apart. So its a parts game. Anybody need a set of metal posts?

#10 1 year ago

I had a Lawman with a perfect bg, nice original cab, but crappy playfield. Found another game with nice playfield but crappy glass & cab
It can be done.

#11 1 year ago

Thank you and I'm encouraged by your guyses words. Yeah I think finding another fast draw might be the route to go. I'm coming from the video game and late electromechanical shooter eras. A lot of those guys when you need a part start licking their chops and try to gouge you because they think they have you by the short hairs. I am one thing that is very patient. If anyone hears of a lead I'd appreciate it. I got to say all of the people I've met so far and the pinball community is much more wealth in the and nicer than I was first led to believe. My thing is I got to give respect the collectors that have been in it forever who have blazed the trails. And your guyses responses are just proof that the pinball Community is awesome

#12 1 year ago

There was a GTB Fast Draw sitting in Portland, OR for sale, or at least there was a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think I have ever not found something by using networking and pinball contacts, unless it was some sort of prototype game.
That includes 50+ year NOS backglasses and game specific parts which are supposedly "impossible" to find.

I have no idea where the gouging part by collectors commented was sourced.
Most long term collectors go out of their way to help others.
However, new owners and brokers do not, and rarely have resources to assist fully.

3 weeks later
#13 1 year ago

I got the schematics for the game, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another machine I could source a head from? I imagine a Quick Draw, however, I would like to keep it a 4 player if possible.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

I got the schematics for the game, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another machine I could source a head from? I imagine a Quick Draw, however, I would like to keep it a 4 player if possible.

they are all unique. so even a quick draw head won't work on a fast draw body.

#15 1 year ago

I recently pulled off what I thought was nearly impossible. For five years, I've had the lower part of a Gottlieb "Pleasure Isle". Mind you, this is a game that had a production run of 235 units! Recently, I hooked up with someone in Florida who had only the head, and I bought it from him to complete the game. I have no way of proving it, but based on the two backstories, and the general condition of both parts, I believe they are two parts of the same machine that somehow became separated, and are now reunited!
Same thing recently happened with a "North Star" head my brother bought at the York show maybe close to 15 years ago. He asked me to post a wanted thread on Pinside, looking for a "North Star" body. I forgot to do it for him, but just a couple of weeks later, I saw an eBay listing for a "North Star" without the head. LSS, my brother won the auction (just barely), got the lower part of the game, and discovered that they indeed were two parts of the very same game that had been separated around 15 years previously!!!
So, don't think it's unlikely that you'll find the head for your game. You might even find the very one that belongs to it!
Now, does anyone out there have a head for a Bally "Campus Queen"? I have the lower part of one. I'd like to hopefully find one with the English language text, but at this point I'm not picky.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I had a headless King of Diamonds... and on my last trip to Allentown I stopped by CoinOp Warehouse and wouldnt you know they had a KoD head... and I bought it/brought it home. Sadly althou I have the pieces it just isnt worth trying to resurrect this game, pf is shot, bg is shot, cab fell apart. So its a parts game. Anybody need a set of metal posts?

I bought a headless "KOD" many years ago at the Classic Pinball Show which was held annually for a few years in Wayne, NJ. The cabinet was held together with plastic wrap and men's belts, and the playfield was caked with so much dirt, you couldn't really see it. I didn't pay very much for it. When I got it home and undid the belts and plastic wrap, the cabinet fell apart! I glued it back together, and under the dirt was a very nice playfield, which cleaned up great. I had another project "KOD" which wasn't as good, and used the head from that game to complete the headless one. It came out great, and I sold it to a collector in southern NJ. Last I heard, he still had it, and it's one of his keepers.

#17 1 year ago

It feels good to hear these stories again I'm in no hurry to find one as I have other projects but I'm definitely not going to turn one down if it comes along

2 weeks later
#18 1 year ago

I'm still on the hunt for this head. But I at least started cleaning the body and putting what I have together. Most everything here is toat but the drop targets are oddly nice.
Again, looking for leads for Fast Draw parts, so if anyone has a lead...

#19 1 year ago

What parts are you seeking? I might have some from the Quick Draw I'm restoring. Feel free to PM me.

3 months later
#21 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have no way of proving it, but based on the two backstories, and the general condition of both parts, I believe they are two parts of the same machine that somehow became separated, and are now reunited!

Did they not put serials on the heads back that far?

#22 1 year ago

No serial number on the head.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Darn. Would've been great if you could definitively prove they matched.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Some year Gottlieb games have the serial number stamped on the back of the 'Point Score Adjustment Card' If you carefully lift one staple, hopefully not damaging the card.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Some year Gottlieb games have the serial number stamped on the back of the 'Point Score Adjustment Card' If you carefully lift one staple, hopefully not damaging the card.

Thanks! TIL:
20171016_141440 (resized).jpg

#26 1 year ago

What game is that?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

What game is that?

That's a Sky Jump. It also had the number stamped on the top, but it was very smeared. The body has an illegible embossed serial on the front of the game under the coin door but there's another inside the cabinet under the card stapled to the cross member behind the coin box. I have a matched pair.

#28 1 year ago

Gottlieb was known to hide an additional serial number somewhere on the games at times, but there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I once heard an unconfirmed story that someone saw the serial number of a Gottlieb "Sweet Hearts" on the playfield when illuminating it with a blacklight.
I've seen them hidden behind the tilt assembly board, and other odd places.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I recently pulled off what I thought was nearly impossible.

From a Digital guy, I got a Neptune's lower cab. throwin' in a deal knowing
that it was something he'd never use. Around a year later, I was doing a
trade with a Friend and noticed a head sitting in the corner. At the time,
it didn't mean anything to me. One (maybe even a couple) months later, out
of the blue it dawned on me that it was a Neptune/Hit the Deck head.
I called and asked what head that was, being a digital guy himself, he
said he didn't know. No backglass. I threw a Digital head in the truck,
drove the 16 miles to his place, looked at the front of the head, no Replay
reel. We did the trade, checked the numbers, and they didn't match, but I kinda
figured they wouldn't. The lower cab. was like a nicotined 8, the head was
a near crispy mint..
I have a Lucky Hand's lower cab., and a Hurdy Gurdy's head. I know the
possibility is there..

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

From a Digital guy, I got a Neptune's lower cab. throwin' in a deal knowing
that it was something he'd never use. Around a year later, I was doing a
trade with a Friend and noticed a head sitting in the corner. At the time,
it didn't mean anything to me. One (maybe even a couple) months later, out
of the blue it dawned on me that it was a Neptune/Hit the Deck head.
I called and asked what head that was, being a digital guy himself, he
said he didn't know. No backglass. I threw a Digital head in the truck,
drove the 16 miles to his place, looked at the front of the head, no Replay
reel. We did the trade, checked the numbers, and they didn't match, but I kinda
figured they wouldn't. The lower cab. was like a nicotined 8, the head was
a near crispy mint..
I have a Lucky Hand's lower cab., and a Hurdy Gurdy's head. I know the
possibility is there..

Not long ago, I saw a stash of rough games, and among them was a "Neptune" body. After hearing the back story on where much of this stuff came from, I realized that the head would probably never be found. Many years ago, I made a road trip up to Guido DelSignore's place. There on a damp dirt floor, in a dingy side room of one of his storage areas was a rotting "Neptune" head. It just fell apart when I tried to move it.
I came to find out that much of the stuff I was looking through not long ago was once owned by Guido. Probably the same "Neptune".

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a Lucky Hand's lower cab., and a Hurdy Gurdy's head.

Correction: In case anyone reads this and has a mate, it's a Lucky Hand head that I have,
and a Hurdy Gurdy's body. Well actually I have the Hurdy Gurdy's head, but the body looks
like it was stored in a dry area, and the head outside for an East Coast Winter..

Quoted from jrpinball:It just fell apart when I tried to move it.

I had the same thing with a Gold Strike. A Vender that I knew from up north that
still ran small ball bowlers called and said Tim, I have a nice parts machine for you.
(Gold Strike)
The playfield is all worn, and the cabinet is falling apart. (Knowing I had 100 made)
I'll trade it for six 3" Ball Bowler balls. I met him halfway, and parts were trying to fall
out of the lower cab. as I had my arms underneath transporting to my vehicle..
I had a spare lower G.S. cab., the playfield looking wear all wiped off (white like mold)
and I had a spare (maybe an eight) glass. I had much time into it, but it turned out to be
an 8 all around and played nice. I end up trading it for an EM Bally Black Jack. All though
I really could use the Black Jack's nice cab. and Backglass (which it had), I'm thinking my
Pinball Buddy still made out with G.S., but that's okay, minus my time, the G.S. was very
inexpensive..

#32 1 year ago

Had a Gold Strike playfield and head relay board. That was all. Asked multiple times if the party I purchased them from where the main relay board was and was assured it was long gone.

Fast forward a few years, after posting looking for a main relay board for some time, and I run across a guy that I knew could create the main relay board. He actually purchased another GS and then created another main relay board from spare parts and put together all the other parts needed to make a complete game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 36.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 10.00
£ 80.00
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside