5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by 10pingrn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-46.jpg
    image-673.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm supposed to go pick up a pinball tomorrow 140 miles away. The weather forecast looks like it's more than likely going to rain. I was thinking of wrapping the machine in shrink wrap wrapping. We will be hauling it in a pickup truck. Am I crazy for even thinking of hauling it home with an 80% chance of rain? Have you ever hauled a pinball home knowing it was going to rain? Where can I get the large rolls of shrink wrap? I was thinking a food service store like GFS?

What would you do?

thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Wrapped up water tight and it can be done.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

Any time I plan to pick up a new game, the chance of rain (in AZ mind you) goes up to 100%.

#4 5 years ago

image-673.jpg

#5 5 years ago

Yeah man, you can do anything. Packing blankets taped to each other completely around it, and then plastic wrap the whole thing. You can get rolls of plastic wrap (like saran wrap) at a moving store along with the blankets. Tarp over it in the bed of the pickup truck.

#6 5 years ago

If I had to move a machine in an open truck & knew it might rain I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a roll of 4mil plastic and a roll of duck tape. Then before loading the machine I would wrap it once in plastic taping all edges & seams. After I did that I would wrap it a second time so seams fall in different places and tape it up again. Once I had it loaded I would wrap just the top and sides one last time and wrap tape around machine in every direction possible so machine would have at least two or three good layers of plastic on it.

I would also put a few boards in the bottom of the truck bed to keep machine raised up off the bed an inch or so. Cheap 1x3's or 1x4's would do the trick as far as that goes.

You will likely be spending almost $40 to $50 on plastic, tape and lumber but it is much better than trashing a machine by getting it wet.

#7 5 years ago

I have a motorcycle cover that I used several times to do this same task. It rained every time and nothing got wet.

#8 5 years ago

Totally. I think I moved one home from MGC 5 hours in the rain. Wrapped it in plastic, then shrink wrap, duct tape and a tarp over the pickup bed. Make sure you use a couple 2x4 to get the pin up off the bed of the truck. That's the easiest part to forget and then you'll have a pin sitting in the water that builds up in the truck bed.

#9 5 years ago

I sold SC to a dude that picked it up during pouring rain
    I advised against it but he shrink wrapped it and took it home to Seattle in the back of a truck.
    He had no problems

#10 5 years ago

I have brought home games in the back of my pickup w/rain on the way back. Got a giant painters drop cloth(plastic), moving blankets, and wrapping tape as stated above. If done correctly, it will be ok. Take your time and make sure there is no way water can get in.I then wrap a tarp over the final wrap. Tie downs help too. Good luck. I've been there.......

#11 5 years ago

Been there and it sucks scheduling around rain. Finally pulled the trigger on a cap this summer and consider myself officially old now but it beats worrying. Trailer seems like a good idea but some great advice above. Good luck and safe travels.

image-46.jpg
    #12 5 years ago

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Quick-Cap-Tonneau-Cover-09811/202065706

Also, I would advise one of these. For $35, it works pretty well for keeping most rain off of a pin. You still have to wrap it as mentioned by everyone, but this is a good finishing touch.

#13 5 years ago

Wow!! Lots of great ideas, methods, and tips! I think I'm going to roll the dice and do it if I can get off work. I really like the idea or 1x3 or 1x4 wood under the pin to keep water from puddling up. if I do it I will report the results.

Any other places to get the large rolls of shrink wrap other than a moving store?

Thanks everyone!

#14 5 years ago

You can get shrink wrap at Home Depot. It's in the moving section with cardboard boxes and bubble wrap.

#15 5 years ago

I've moved machines on a few occasions through some heavy rain in an open pickup using the shrink wrap method. It worked out great each time. Walmart and lowes carry the rolls of shrink wrap.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 109.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.95
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7.00
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside