(Topic ID: 348560)

Champion Pub - Sucker Punch? [Resolved]

By CelticKnot

7 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 months ago

Yet another in my The Champion Pub posts. I posted this in the CP club topic a few days ago, but that poor topic gets zero traffic so I thought I'd try again here.

+==================================+

So I haven't seen a sucker punch land in my CP in a while. For those that don't know, a sucker punch is when you land a body blow or a head shot on the boxer after winning a fight (before he turns back around), for which you are awarded 500k.

I can't recall exactly but it might have happened around the time I upgraded my ROM from 1.4 to 1.6. Does anyone know if sucker punches were removed in 1.5/1.6?

Could just be imagining things too.

1 week later
#2 6 months ago

I've been doing research on/off for this when I have a chance and I really can't find much about it. The only references I have been able to find are a couple of fan-made rule sets/FAQs:

http://www.pinball.org/rules/championpub.txt
https://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/4358/cpub-jl.htm

These both make mention of Sucker Punches but I can't tell for which code version they were written.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that this feature was removed between ROMs 1.4 and 1.6. The only possible thing I could have changed in my game to make them disappear was to upgrade ROM from 1.4 to 1.6 so I'm chalking it up to that. I guess I'd like to know WHY, if that information is even available anymore.

In that light, does anyone have contacts or info on how to get in touch with the developers of the game, if they are still around?

Thanks all.

P.S. I want a Weird Al's Museum of Natural Hilarity pin for Christmas in case anyone is interested.

#3 6 months ago

self-bump and Merry Christmas to all.

Anyone know how to get in touch with anyone who might have a clue about the origins/design/development of Champion Pub?

1 month later
#4 5 months ago

Obviously this is not a popular topic (to say the least) but in case someone else is ever wondering about it, I have this to add:

I was playing Champion Pub on the iOS version of the Williams pinball simulator last night and scored a sucker punch after losing a fight to the boxer. So there's that, for whatever it is worth.

2 weeks later
#5 4 months ago

Alright, full circle here. As it turns out, I landed a sucker punch on my Champion Pub last night.

So there are two ways to win or lose a fight.

1) Knockout (KO)
a) Boxer: score a head shot when the boxer is dazed
b) Player: ball drain

2) Technical Knockout (TKO)
a) Boxer: reduce boxer's health bar to 0 with jabs, head shots, and body blows)
b) Player: your health bar is reduced to 0

The only time you can score a sucker punch is after a TKO.

The reason I wasn't seeing sucker punches was that I had gotten the table tuned up so that it was easy to win fights by KO and the fights weren't going the distance and allowing the possibility of TKOs. When you KO the boxer or you are KO'ed, sucker punches aren't possible. Now that I think about it... it makes sense.

Pin on!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.