• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by CelticKnot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

Hola, Pinsiders.

I bought a ROM upgrade for my Champion Pub about 2 years back from an eBay source. The chip looks legit and the price was about what I'm seeing from other sources these days so I'm not worried about legitimacy. I haven't gotten around to installing it until now.

My CP has 1.4 ROM and what I bought was 1.6. Any reason to not swap out? Caveats? Advice on how to do it? I have a chip puller so I'm not too worried about damaging anything but if it's not worth it, I won't bother.

Also, I see there are audio ROMs out there, are those worth paying the 60 bucks for?

#2 10 months ago

I don’t remember a significant difference between those two roms and no I would not purchase the audio ROMs

#3 10 months ago

These are the changes after 1.4:

Bally CHAMPION PUB 21-Sep-98

Software Release - Rev 1.60

G11 checksum Rev 1.60: $E316
ROM date is: 09/14/98

Changes since Version 1.5:

- Fixed bug after Ultimate Challenge, training lamps are now set
correctly.
- Fixed Cash Fight scores when the player has over 200 million.

Software Release - Rev 1.50

G11 checksum Rev 1.50: $E315
ROM date is: 07/02/98

Changes since Version 1.4:

- Fixed problem where two balls were kick out at ball start.
- Fixed Lock Pin during ball search.
- Improved Extra Ball alarm sound.
- Removed delay from bonus after third ball.
- Improved ball save on outlanes, if no score has happened yet.
- Fixed chase ball to not kick out a ball when one is on the shooter.

If you think some of those are important, then go ahead and do the swap. Of course with power off, and make sure that you dont get any pins bent under the chip when installing the new rom. And you will lose high scores & game settings.

I dont think there are multiple versions of the sound roms, so no need to buy those.

#4 10 months ago

Thanks for the replies. I think some of the fixes listed above are worth upgrading the ROM for. I'll keep you posted.

1 week later
#5 10 months ago

I got around to popping the v1.4 ROM out tonight and swapping it with the v1.6. One of the easier jobs you'll ever encounter on a pin, at least a WPC95. It was a 5-minute job including opening the backbox and buttoning it back up. Having a chip puller (I have a super cheap one) made extraction dead simple with no bent pins.

The machine retained date/time but I had to reset some other things such as volume level and free play as it reverted to factory settings.

It was an easy procedure and would do it every time to get the updated code for better play.

#6 10 months ago

Just a quick note if you do this, not only is a chip puller a great tool to assist, but prior to extraction, pay attention to the notch in the installed chip, and make sure the replacement chip is installed with the notch in the same orientation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.