(Topic ID: 345200)

Champion Pub post coil overheating, software bug?

By Maxxarcade

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

I am having an issue with Champion Pub where if a player starts a game and walks away without launching the ball, the hold winding on the ball saver post coil overheats because there doesn't seem to be a time-out period.

This seems to be something that would need to be fixed in software. If this hasn't been done, is there a hardware mod or coil swap that would help?

#2 9 months ago

Assuming that's one of the coils that uses a flipper coil, the hold winding should be able to hold a really long time before overheating. Haven't played CP for ages so don't remember the layout at all, can you show a pic of where it is on the playfield?

If it's something that should be on when the ball launches, the software should have been designed to do that when the ball leaves the shooter lane switch. If it wasn't, yeah, that qualifies as a bug.... they probably figured no one would start a game and walk away (which does happen all the time)

You could probably design something that would cut the power after it's activated for (some time period) with a microcontroller to cut the power. (More specifically, the ground since coils always have power at them)

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Assuming that's one of the coils that uses a flipper coil, the hold winding should be able to hold a really long time before overheating. Haven't played CP for ages so don't remember the layout at all, can you show a pic of where it is on the playfield?
If it's something that should be on when the ball launches, the software should have been designed to do that when the ball leaves the shooter lane switch. If it wasn't, yeah, that qualifies as a bug.... they probably figured no one would start a game and walk away (which does happen all the time)
You could probably design something that would cut the power after it's activated for (some time period) with a microcontroller to cut the power. (More specifically, the ground since coils always have power at them)

It's the ball saver post between the flippers, which does use a flipper type coil.

I had wondered about using a timer of sorts, but I'd need to have a way to make the timer disable once the ball launches, and re-enable again when each new ball starts. It would probably be more practical to just reduce the hold winding current somehow unless someone can patch the software.

#4 9 months ago

So every ball starts with the post up? (not a setting?)

Once you're playing it goes down but I'd assume there's other situations where it needs to go back up?

#5 9 months ago

Is there a specific reason you just don't have the ball launch if the machine is left unattended for a couple of minutes?

Feature Adjustements 02:Timed Plunger. Set it to 1 minute, even with a 5 ball game you won't have more than 5-6 minutes of game time when someone walks away from the game.

I've put a lot of games on a 2-minute timer and I don't remember anybody ever complaining, so I'd do 1 minute and see how that works for you.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

So every ball starts with the post up? (not a setting?)
Once you're playing it goes down but I'd assume there's other situations where it needs to go back up?

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I don't have the game here in the shop to verify though. One of our other techs described the issue as such.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Is there a specific reason you just don't have the ball launch if the machine is left unattended for a couple of minutes?
Feature Adjustements 02:Timed Plunger. Set it to 1 minute, even with a 5 ball game you won't have more than 5-6 minutes of game time when someone walks away from the game.

Does Champion Pub have an electronic ball launch? If so, then that would definitely be the ideal fix. I don't have the machine here, so I wasn't familiar with that. I'll have the other tech check the settings.

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

I've put a lot of games on a 2-minute timer and I don't remember anybody ever complaining, so I'd do 1 minute and see how that works for you.

This seems like a much better solution for locations than digging through the software.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from Maxxarcade:

Does Champion Pub have an electronic ball launch? If so, then that would definitely be the ideal fix. I don't have the machine here, so I wasn't familiar with that. I'll have the other tech check the settings.

Yeah solenoid 1 says it's auto plunger. I think most of the later games have auto plungers but haven't really looked too hard at that.

#10 9 months ago

have you confirmed that coil is the correct one?

my friend has a Demo Man that had a flipper coil put in place of the diverter coil and the wrapper was more brown than blue from overheating

#11 9 months ago

How are you determining it's overheating? Hot to the touch doesn't mean it will eventually melt down.

As mentioned, make sure it's the correct coil by measuring resistance on hold and power side and compare to factory. Google pinball coil chart for factory readings. CP got a few different revisions of software. You can check changes at the link below, but I don't suspect it's a software issue.

https://www.actionpinball.com/tech/champ.txt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.