Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by CelticKnot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

Hello pinsiders. I acquired a Champion Pub about 2 years ago and it's been sitting around waiting for me to get to repairing the left flipper, which sticks in the up position when a game starts. Open the coin door (i.e., disengage the high power interlock) or end a game and the flipper returns to the down position. Any suggestions on what to look for? What other information can I provide to help you help me?

Thank you!

#2 11 months ago

If it goes up when the game is turned on bad transistor. If it goes up when you start a game, then check all diodes on the coil, that they are good, and facing the right direction. Then check if the left flipper button opto board works in test, and if the connector or wires are loose on the right flipper button opto board.

LTG : )

#3 11 months ago

Thank you for the reply, LTG. The flipper goes up when you start a game, not when the game is turned on.

Even though I've only owned the game for 2 years, I've known *of* the game for 15. You see, it was in the break room of my old company, and went with the owner of the company when he sold the company and the game stayed at his house for the past 8 or 9 years before I came into possession of it. Looking at the flipper coils they appear to be original, so I don't think the diodes were ever messed with. Tomorrow I'll check the opto boards. From reading other topics here on Pinside it appears I can get to test mode via the setup menu?

Thanks again!

#4 11 months ago
Quoted from CelticKnot:

Thank you for the reply, LTG. The flipper goes up when you start a game, not when the game is turned on.
Even though I've only owned the game for 2 years, I've known *of* the game for 15. You see, it was in the break room of my old company, and went with the owner of the company when he sold the company and the game stayed at his house for the past 8 or 9 years before I came into possession of it. Looking at the flipper coils they appear to be original, so I don't think the diodes were ever messed with. Tomorrow I'll check the opto boards. From reading other topics here on Pinside it appears I can get to test mode via the setup menu?
Thanks again!

I had this exact problem and the issue was my flipper opto board. Replaced that board and all is good again.

#5 11 months ago

Agreed with LTG.

He'll usually suggest swapping the left flipper board with the right.

This does two things:

It tests the suspect part (the left flipper opto flipper board) in the working system (the right flipper opto board system is working).

While you've got it out you can easily clean the optos with a q-tip and some window cleaner.

When you put the opto boards back you'll automatically adjust anything like the interrupts not correctly fitting deep enough in the opto slot to block the opto.

#6 11 months ago

Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, so I made another (unrelated or so I thought) post last night about a mystery part that I found while looking inside the cabinet. From replies from a knowledgeable Pinsider, it turns out that it was a broken white plastic opto board interrupter and I guess the last person that repaired the game just left it in the cabinet after replacing it instead of discarding it.

So I opened the game up again this morning and discovered that same white part on the left flipper -- but the interrupter arm had broken off and was sitting on top of the wiring of the left flipper switch. The right flipper has a black interrupter, which I assume was what had been replaced and the old part just left in the cabinet.

So, I'll be ordering a replacement interrupter today, and I'm hoping that replacing it is all that needs to be done.

#7 11 months ago

Ordered a interrupter and an entire opto board assembly from Planetary a bit ago. If the interrupter resolves my issue, I'll have a spare opto board. I expect it in about a week and will report back. Thanks again for all the help.

PinRetail I'll take your suggestions on cleaning and aligning while I have the one disassembled for repair, and will tune up the good one as well. Gracias!

#8 11 months ago

Thank you again everyone for your replies and help. It did end up being the flipper opto board. (Yes, I see you all nodding knowingly )

Replaced the entire opto board and the left flipper now performs flawlessly.

On to the other issues that need addressing on the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.