“Silicone or Natural Rubber?”

• Silicone 4 votes
    57%
  • Natural Rubber 3 votes
    43%
  • Other 0 votes

(7 votes)

#1 4 months ago

I replaced all the rubber recently on my Champion Pub, using Pinball Life Perfect Play replacements based on some posts I read here on Pinside. I could be imagining things but after I replaced the rubber, I am finding that they are too bouncy; I have zero control over the ball. I'm sure part of is is my skill level, but the balls bounce way up the PF after hitting the flipper making the ball nearly impossible to catch unless it has rolls in at a very low speed.

I subsequently read some articles saying go natural rubber because silicone is too bouncy/fast, so I'm going to try that route and see if my game becomes easier to control. Although honestly I've heard it both ways and I think it's a case of YMMV, or, again, skill level, but I'll do anything to improve my abysmal scores at this point.

My question is, what post mini bumper size(s) should I get? The CP manual just says "Black Rubber Grommet", part #23-6694-1. Kits that I've found online either have no detail as to what's included in them, or specify 7/16" Outer Diameter (OD). A search for that part # on Pinball life DOES come up with a 7/16" post bumper, so I guess that's it.

When I ordered the silicone ones, I ordered both 3/8" OD and 7/16" OD to be safe. The 7/16" ones seemed to be too big after I installed them. The lanes for the chutes that feed down to the flippers were so constricted that the balls would barely fit down them, so I put 3/8" OD bumpers in which helped a little, but the balls still carom wildly off of them.

I guess they're cheap enough that I'll just order both sizes in natural rubber and play around with them. Just wondering what everyone's experience is here with that and if silicone or natural is preferred on these Bally/Williams games.

#2 4 months ago

The 3/8 OD is correct. The 7/16 is too big unless you want to constrict the lane a bit. Check the manual to confirm. If you do not have one go to IPDB (link below). Not your imagination-silicone is more "bouncy". I find Perfect Play to be very bouncy, Titans do not seem to be quite as bouncy. Titan also makes a low bounce option that I have not tried. That option should tell you silicone is just more bouncy by nature. I have gone back to natural rubber on most of my flippers because of the bounce issue. I use silicone for the rings because they last longer and some are in difficult locations that I really do not want to change anytime soon. Some games it is not a problem. Some it is just out of friggin control. Good Luck!
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=champion+pub&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from pokerag2:

Check the manual to confirm. If you do not have one go to IPDB (link below).

Thanks for the reply and advice. I did check the manual, it states "Black Rubber Grommet" and "Part #23-669401", which when you search on Pinball Life comes up with the 7/16" OD.

As I said they're cheap enough that I'll order both sizes and play around with them.

#4 3 months ago

Ok... I ordered the replacement Champion rubber and it came today. I just finished up replacing everything and buttoned up the game again, but I can't play until tomorrow as it's bedtime for the kiddo. Oh well.

One interesting thing is I'm glad I ordered more rings than I thought I needed... the game manual that I have is off by a couple post rings (says 10 when it actually uses 12). I'm sure that could be due to my game being a later model than what the manual is for or an earlier one.

Anyway I went with the 7/16" to start off with since that's what the manual calls for, but it'll be easy to swap out specific ones should they constrict the lanes too much.

#5 3 months ago

Never trust a manual...they're always wrong! Just start ordering them up & bagging them for later whenever you make an order.
Enjoy!

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never trust a manual...they're always wrong! Just start ordering them up & bagging them for later whenever you make an order.
Enjoy!

hehe Thanks. Yeah manuals are just a guide, a place to start. As this is my first pin and has been a huge learning experience for me (as you can likely tell from all my other Champion Pub-titled posts in the DMD forum), I have a pile of spare parts that I've ordered that are in labeled baggies in a tote waiting for my next project.

Fortunately a lot of these parts are pennies each so it's not a huge investment.

#7 3 months ago

Ok I just played on the new rubber rings and the difference between silicone and rubber is truly night and day. The flippers are almost sticky, I can "grab" and control the ball so much better with the flippers now... sorry silicone, you lose (on this game, IMHO).

Not sure it's going to help my score all that much but I feel like I'm more in control of the game when I can actually catch the ball in the flipper and aim my shots.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.