Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

440px-Molexddpcsfamily.jpg
IMG-2379 (resized).jpg
IMG-2381 (resized).jpg
IMG-2380 (resized).jpg
#1 10 months ago

One of the last things I need to do to finish refurbishing my CP is to repair some broken wires in the boxer. There are at least 3 22-gauge wires broken right where the wires go up into the boxer assembly via a metal pipe. There's really no option to splice them as there is not enough slack in the cables (which is probably what caused them to break in the first place) and it is in a difficult location. So, I feel like it would be best just to re-wire the whole thing and add a couple inches of slack. This is a first for me, so I'm soliciting advice and suggestions for vendors for wires and connectors. Thanks in advance.

#2 10 months ago
Quoted from CelticKnot:

This is a first for me, so I'm soliciting advice and suggestions for vendors for wires and connectors. Thanks in advance.

Wirebot for the wires!

#3 10 months ago

Pictures couldn't hurt !

#4 10 months ago

Pictures below as requested...

I had stumbled across wire-Bot for wires and that seems like a solid option - I can get the necessary wires with a little to spare for under $10. I can even get close to the colors of the existing wires, which is satisfying. Do I somehow re-use the existing connectors or will I need to find those too?

IMG-2379 (resized).jpgIMG-2379 (resized).jpgIMG-2380 (resized).jpgIMG-2380 (resized).jpgIMG-2381 (resized).jpgIMG-2381 (resized).jpg
#5 10 months ago
Quoted from CelticKnot:

Do I somehow re-use the existing connectors or will I need to find those too

Can reuse the connectors but the metal sleeves that hold the wires into the connector, will need new ones .

#6 10 months ago

What are the sleeves called? Got a link?

#7 10 months ago

Exact terminology unknown...
Molex pins ... make sure you get the correct size ...
Ask Wirebot as he may have them , you will need spefic gauge and crimper for install .
Digikey has these as well as mouser

440px-Molexddpcsfamily.jpg440px-Molexddpcsfamily.jpg
#8 10 months ago

Would post this to the CP owners thread.
They will get you the rest of the way.
Not a hard job ,but annoying.

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Would post this to the CP owners thread.
They will get you the rest of the way.
Not a hard job ,but annoying.

Thanks, will do!

#10 10 months ago

So, the Owners thread (while a fantastic read) has not provided me much guidance. It seems with under 1,500 games produced this is not a hugely popular title. Therefore I will begin to post to both places for better exposure.

I have a few updates. I intend to completely re-do the wiring for both boxer switch harness wire bundles. I also plan on leaving the power wires for the boxer arm solenoids untouched; they're much thicker and seem to be ok. To repair the broken wires, I purchased wire, pins (from Wire-Bot), and crimping tool (from Amazon) to work on this. The only thing I'm working on still is the sleeve that keeps the harnesses together as the boxer spins. As originally shipped from Williams/Bally (I think?) it is a black corrugated split sleeve secured with short white zip ties. When I rebuild the harnesses I intend to give them an inch or two more slack to prevent future breaks. I am wondering if I need to replace that split corrugated tube with something softer? Seems that where the wires enter the metal tube of the boxer body is the important part. I *think* the wires that broke didn't not break from abrasion but rather from tension. Just a guess. So if I provide another inch of slack I'm hoping that we won't have a repeat.

I want to give a big shout out to John from Wire-Bot for working with me. I highly recommend Wire-Bot!

@Mods is there a feature to tie certain posts to an owner's thread? I have several in the past few months that I feel would be great if there was a way to link them to the owners thread.

#11 10 months ago

Glad you got this far... Wirebot is a great asset to the community.
I would wrap the wire or protect it from rubbing on the metal piping so you don't have to do this again .

#12 10 months ago

Thanks. I will probably re-use the black split corrugated tubing to provide protection but put a softer nylon mesh sleeve inside it and fish it up into the metal pipe a bit to prevent any abrasion at the pipe lip as the boxer rotates. Belt and suspenders.

#13 10 months ago
Quoted from CelticKnot:

Thanks. I will probably re-use the black split corrugated tubing to provide protection but put a softer nylon mesh sleeve inside it and fish it up into the metal pipe a bit to prevent any abrasion at the pipe lip as the boxer rotates. Belt and suspenders.

I have some other tubing and/or heat shrink options I could help you with to add some protection, feel free to shoot me a message and I can do my best to get you what you need. Cheers!

#14 10 months ago

Well, with help from John at Wire-Bot (both parts and advice), I was able to get the harness rebuilt. I ended up only rebuilding the harness that had the three broken wires and the boxer is fully functional again. Hopefully it is good to go for many years to come now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from CelticKnot:

the boxer is fully functional again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.