• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-2392 (resized).jpg
IMG-2393 (resized).jpg
#1 10 months ago

Hi all. Will post this in the CP owners club as well but would like to also solicit advice from the community.

A known issue with the original boxer arms on a Champion Pub is that they are too brittle and break. In fact Williams issued an official notice about this. And the CP I am restoring has that exact issue; broken arms. I removed them and ordered the replacements. The new "B" ones.

My issue is that they don't fit on the posts. The square sockets in the new arms are maybe a mm or 2mm smaller on each edge than the metal posts they're supposed to go over, so it's really difficult to seat them on the arm posts.

Any suggestions?

#2 10 months ago

CP is a fantastic machine and a lot of fun to play. Sadly, I've never owned one so I can't help you 100%, but if the arms sit on a round post, maybe you can carefully take a Dremel tool with a sanding barrel attachment on it and sand the inside down a tiny bit to widen it?

Check out some YouTube vids on doing that to see if it's in fact something you can do.

Good luck with the rest of your restoration and post up some pics when you're done.

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

CP is a fantastic machine and a lot of fun to play.

Truth!

Quoted from Pinfidel:

...if the arms sit on a round post, maybe you can carefully take a Dremel tool with a sanding barrel attachment on it and sand the inside down a tiny bit to widen it?

The posts are square, but good suggestion on the Dremmel. Could still apply. Pictures below. As you can see, I've tried a little force on the right arm without much success. The plastic is a bit pliable so I may try heating it up a bit with a hair dryer on the next attempt.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

Good luck with the rest of your restoration and post up some pics when you're done.

I will.

IMG-2392 (resized).jpgIMG-2392 (resized).jpgIMG-2393 (resized).jpgIMG-2393 (resized).jpg
#4 10 months ago

Could try putting them in warm/hot water to soften them up too. I forgot what I did on mine but remember they were a struggle to get on.

#5 10 months ago

It’s exactly that ^ you have to heat them up. They get really soft at like 100-125 degrees F.

#6 10 months ago

Thanks all. I'll definitely go the heat treatment method. First I have to fix the broken wires in the boxer, but when that's done I'll get the arms back on and will report back. Thanks!

#7 10 months ago

Thanks for the heat treatment advice everyone. I hit the arms with a hairdryer on hot for about 30 seconds and they slid right on. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.