0Hollywood-Work-16 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-15 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-14 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-10 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-09 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-08 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-07 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-06 (resized).jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

My 1976 Chicago Coin 2 Player Hollywood Pinball a ball kick out problem. In a 5 ball game I have never seen ball #1 of Player 1 because, it will kick out and start on ball #1 Player 2 (if set to 2 Players, Ball #2 Player 1 if not), totally random sometimes going through all 5 balls to Game Over. Cleaned and adjusted everything that I feel could be associated with the kick out solenoid plus almost everything else!
I did find a way to get a pattern to emerge. On a 5 Ball game single player it will ALWAYS miss Ball #1 and and kick out on Ball #2. If I then re-start the game WITHOUT ever playing the ball (ball stays in launch channel) then the game starts at Ball #1, because the ball was left in the Launch Channel Before game start, this is when the pattern emerges. It does not matter if I play the ball or just take it from the Launch Channel and drop it in the reset kick-out hole it will go to Ball #3, then Ball #5, then GAME OVER. As long as I start the game with no ball in the reset Kick-Out the pattern will always be the same, Ball #1, #3, #5, GAME OVER.
I have cleaned the Ball Change Step-Up several times and even tried to slightly retard and advance the Home Position of the Ball Change Step-Up contact finger set.
PLEASE HELP!

#2 6 years ago

When there is no ball in the outhole, this will open the outhole switch and it will prevent power from getting to the ball count step up solenoid. I'd check the normally open (NO) switches in the circuit that control power to the ball count step up solenoid. Check the following:

Ball index relay switch - grey/yellow wire and yellow/red wire
Score motor switch B-2 - red/yellow wire and black/blue wire
Score motor switch D-3 - red/yellow wire and maroon/blue wire

Check these switches to make sure they are clean and adjusted properly...

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

Ball #1, #3, #5, GAME OVER.

The distance between Player 1 Ball 1 and Player 1 Ball 3 should be 4 pulses of the Ball Count unit step up coil. So this could be an electrical problem or more likely a mechanical problem.

To tell the difference, on a single player game does the Ball Count unit step up coil pulse four times when the game goes from Player 1 Ball 1 to Player 1 Ball 3, or do two pulses advance it those four positions?

#4 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
I pick the problem "You start a new game (therefore You start a ONE-Player-Game) - the ball kicked out is 'Player-1-Ball-2' ".

I look at the ipdb-schematics and show snippets of. I see "when the pin is started then the Ball-Count-Unit is (totally) resetted to (manufacturer calls it) Position-Zero. For us it is "Player-ONE plays Ball-ONE. So there is NO STEPPING (on the Ball-Count-Unit) ALLOWED when the pin kicks out the very first ball. But to kick out the ball: The Outhole-Relay must actuate. See lower part of my JPG - encircled red: The Ball-Index-Relay shall NOT PULL so Switch SHALL BE OPEN --- well, in Your pin ? Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-06 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-06 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for your fast responses and help. Greatly appreciated!

Fred: Went through all the switches on the score motor as well as all other switches in the bottom of the pin more than once. All were cleaned and a couple adjusted.

Howard: When the machine is turned on, no balls show on the back glass. Press the start button and ball #1 shows on the back glass for a second then immediately cycles twice then ball # 2 shows on the back glass and the ball is ejected. The #2 ball drains and there are 4 cycles and shows #4 ball (skipping #3). Ball ejects. #4 ball drains, there are 4 cycles and game over (skipping #5).

Rolf: As soon as the start button is pressed, the Ball Index Relay closes and stays closed until the game is over.

#7 6 years ago

Oh man. I really didn't want to hear that. Which wire did it turn out to be? Was it a short of 2 wires? Or on a step up/down? A relay? Any details you can give me would be of great help!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

Oh man. I really didn't want to hear that. Which wire did it turn out to be? Was it a short of 2 wires? Or on a step up/down? A relay? Any details you can give me would be of great help!

Don't pay any attention to that guy. He's been posting "it's a wiring problem" in every thread he visits.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

#10 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
the Ball-Index-Relay is not allowed to pull-in when You press the Start-Button --- see the JPB - You must investigate on the "encircled orange" Switches.

A little "try" (it is not a fix - it shall help to learn about other behaviour of the pin) - You cheat a bit - You accept the faulty pulling-in of the Ball-Index-Relay BUT You toggle-off the pin and You sneak-in a stripe of paper into the Switch (between the contact-points on the two switch-blades) on Ball-Index-Relay to "keep the switch open" for the start-up procedure - does the pin then brings-out Ball-1 ? Look in the JPG in post-4 - the "encircled-red" switch on Ball-Index-Relay --- sneak-in a stripe of paper for insulating - then toggle-on and start a game - WHAT Ball is kicked out to the Shooter-Alley ? Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-07 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-07 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

With a piece of paper between the contacts, player # 1, ball #1 kicks out. I think we're getting close!

Thanks much for your help!

#12 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
nice - the "cheating a bit" let You start a One-Player-Game - You get Ball-1 for Player-1. Now the pin is ready to launch the ball - carefully lift the playfield (pin is running / idling) and pull-out the stripe of paper --- can You play through the balls ? always on Player-1 ? then reaching "Game-Over" ?

Then toggle-off the pin - sneak-in the stripe of paper - sneak-in, toggle-on, start a game - the ball is kicked out - try to start for second player - THEN pull-out the stripe of paper (pin is idling) - can You play a Two-Player-Game ? Greetings Rolf

#13 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I followed your directions precisely and tried to play a game. I did this 5 different times. Each time it was something different. On the One Player Games, it would start ok on ball #1 then skip balls randomly. Once it skipped over #3 ball and went to #4. Once it skipped ball #'s 2, 4 and 5 going to game over from ball #3. Once it skipped ball #4 & #5 to game over. No pattern what so ever.

Two Player Games are really weird. Again I tried this 5 different times. First it started from ball #1 ok on 1st Player only to next go to Ball #2 Player #2. Sometimes it'll skip a Player completely like go from Ball #2 Player #2 to Ball #3 Player #2, skipping Ball #3 Player #1. Once it started on Ball #1 Player One, went to Ball #1 Player #2 then Ball #3 on Player #2.

I switched to a 3 ball game and it acts the same. Again, no distinct pattern. I'm beginning to think this machine is haunted.

I really appreciate all the help and input from everyone. I hope to get this one going. It's a fun game even playing with the limited number of balls available during a certain game.

#14 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
it is not very comfortable to sneak-in the stripe of paper into "Switch on Ball-Index-Relay" - start a game - then pull-out the stripe of paper --- and do this again and again. Have the pin set to 5 balls per play so You can do more tests before sneaking-in again the stripe of paper. I hope for luck (this posting) - otherwise we should look for to fix the fault "Ball-Index-Relay immediately pulls-in".

In a running "Hollywood" You play a ball, make some bonus - loose the ball - the ball rolls into the Outhole and closes TWO switches --- see the JPG: In the middle of the JPG is the encircled green switch - but because the Bonus-Unit-Switch (to the left) is open (You have made some bonus): The Outhole-Relay does not yet pull-in. The other of the TWO switches is shown encircled grey (on the bottom): You have made some bonus therefore the switch to the right is closed - the Bonus-Collect-Relay pulls-in and makes the Bonus-Ladder to be stepped down.
When the Bonus-Unit steps from pos-1 (one bonus) to pos-Zero (no bonus): The two switches on the Bonus-Unit actuate - the Bonus-Score-Relay drops out and the Outhole-Relay pulls-in (my curved rosa/pink line), the Outhole-Relay stays pulling for almost a turn of 120 degrees - then drops out (encircled brown Motor-Switch-E3 opens, then encircled brown Outhole-Relay-Switch opens). In this time of turning 120 degrees of the motor: There is time to step ONE or maybe TWO steps on the Ball-Count-Unit (top of the JPG, the blue and the red line).

I first would inspect the two Outhole-Switches and the two switches on the Bonus-Unit for proper action. Watch out for the moment the Outhole-Relay pulls-in: FIRST MUST the Bonus-Ladder be stepped down - FIRST must the Bonus-Collect-Relay pull - THEN this relay must drop-out and the Outhole-Relay is allowed to pull-in --- it is allowed to stay pulling for a turn of 120 degree (Motor).
Maybe a friend helps watching the Bonus-Collect-Relay and watching the Outhole-Relay. The Outhole-Relay is not allowed to pull-in more than once.

You are testing - not playing --- to learn about the mysterious stepping on the Ball-Count-Unit: Always have (lets say) two Bonus on the Bonus-Ladder when You loose a played ball. Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-08 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-08 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Both Out Hole Switches make & break properly as the ball is taken in & out of the hole and are clean.

The switches on the Bonus Unit are open when Unit is in the "0" position and closed beginning with the first step up. They are clean.

On start up, the Bonus Unit steps down to "0" position. Then Bonus Collect Relay pulls in then drops out right away.

Then the Outhole Relay pulls in for about a third of a turn on the Score Motor then drops out. It does this once for each ball.

Thanks for all the help!

#16 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
I should not have posted the JPG in post-14 - squeezing stuff --- I should have made what I show here --- see my burgundy-red "1,2,3". You have checked the "2" and the "3" - fine, they do open when position-zero is reached. The "1" is actually not a switch - it is a connection on the bakelite - snowshoe-wipers ride on rivets. I believe there is the problem. But maybe I am chasing an phantom (?). Lets find out - in a running "Hollywood" when the ball is lost: Stepping down the Bonus - then the Outhole-Relay pulls-in ONCE, the motor turns exactly 120 degrees, then the Outhole-Relay drops-out and the motor stops. Within that time the ball is kicked over to the shooter-alley and the Ball-Count-Unit is stepped once or twice (top of JPG, the blue line and the red line).
When the pin faulty "skips" balls - I say: The Outhole-Relay faulty pulls-in again so the "blue line and the red line" (faulty) come into action again - to check this -
Please have the playfield lifted and You simulate playing --- loosing a ball and WATCH the Outhole-Relay --- (when skipping a ball) does the Outhole-Relay pulls-in and let go AND PULLS-IN AND LET GO one or two times more ?

Having the playfield lifted and watching is O.K. when the fault often happens. If the fault seldom, rare happens then the using of an Test-Light*** is more practical --- see my "yellow" drawing of three 12Volt-car-bulbs - they are "one after the other". Have looooong wires so You can take the Test-Light*** through the open coin-door placing the Test-Light*** on the apron / playfield. Whenever the Outhole-Relay pulls: The Test-Light lights up. So You play and have an eye on the Test-Light.

Test-Light***: SteveFury shows here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 his Test-Light*** for to use with an 24Volt-Circuitry. In the ipdb-schematics "Hollywood" I see: It is run by 30 or 32 Volts - so I added in my JPG a third car-bulb. Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-09 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-09 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Hooked up a test light to Out Hole Relay as shown. Pressed reset button and ball #1 showed on the backglass and the light blinked for a very short time. Then went on more normally and went to ball #2 and stayed there. So We're accually starting the game with ball #2. The light blinks once on every ball except when a ball is skipped then it blinks twice.

Here's a video of what's happening (test light is to the right in the picture)...

#18 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
thanks for making the Test-Light and showing the video. My first question is: How often does the faulty "too much stepping" happens - lets say You play as many games so the correct stepping from a ball to next ball happens to be just 100 steppings --- out of 100 steppings: How many faulty steppings You have ? "one in a hundred" or "five in a hundred" or 10 or 20 or 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95, 99 ? The way to troubleshoot is probably different when having 1,5,10 --- or when having 70,80,90,95,99.

The second question is (I do not see the answer in the video) - when the fault happens; Is the ball kicked over to the shooter alley at "FIRST blink of Test-Light means activating of the Outhole-Relay" ? --- or is it at "SECOND blink of Test-Light means activating of the Outhole-Relay" ?

Third question: Is there a difference in "rate / frequenxy / commonness" in "fault happens when You have 1 or 2 bonus on the Bonus-Ladder when loosing the ball" compared with "have many bonus on the Bonus-Ladder" ?

Fourth question: Does the Test-Light blink ALWAYS AFTER the Bonus-Ladder has been counted down (and the fault does not happen ?) ? --- OR, sometimes the Test-Light blinks when the pin still is busy counting down the Bonus-Ladder ? Greetings Rolf

#19 6 years ago

We're you able to spot the test light (flashing with the relay) just an inch or 2 under the right side of the backglass laying on the machine?

#20 6 years ago

In the video it (as always) skips ball one and starts on ball 2, reset ball 3 ok and skipped 4 and 5 was ok, then game over. In the video example only 1 and 4 skipped but more common is skipping ball 1 and then 2 other random balls. When a ball is skipped in the above example the relay lights twice but only once on a successful reset. The light does not light as bonus counts down. Strange as it may seem, one night all balls would reset (except ball 1) IF there were bonus points. But the next day, as if something changed, bonus points did not matter anymore. It does seem that the higher the bonus score the more likely it will successfully reset a ball. Unless this was a fluke.
By the way it does sometimes skip 2 or even more rarely, 3 balls.

#21 6 years ago

Here's a tip, rather than sneak a piece of paper between contacts try a cut length of the proper diameter heat-shrink tubing and slide it completely over the entire blade that has the contact you wish to insulate. No worries about it falling off either! No need to actually shrink the tube...

#22 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
the reason I asked the first question is: When the fault happens 70% to 99% - we adjust a switch or "whatever we do" AND the feature afterwards works 1,2,3,4,5 times in a row: We can say "Have fixed". When the fault happens 1% to 10% and we do something AND afterwards the feature works 1,2,3,4,5 times in a row: We cannot say "Have fixed" - we must think of "has coincidently worked 5 times".
The reason I asked the second question is; We still have the fault that the pin makes the Ball-Index-Relay on start-up pull-in and stay pulling (or the specific switch, JPG in post-16, encircled orange, on top of the JPG) switch is closed and makes the pin start on ball-2. O.K. - You always sneak-in the stripe of paper before starting a new game - then pull the stripe out.
In play - when the first attempt to shoot out the ball over to the shooter-alley is NOT successful and the ball rolls back: This makes the Outhole-Relay to pull-in a second time - the mentioned switch is closed - stepping again on the ball --- so we should make the Ball-Kicker to work "on first attempt" - we cannot accept a ball rolling back.
Third and fourth question I asked "beeing open-minded - fault maybe is related with Bonus-Count-Down.

I thought "maybe a good idea is accepting the fault "Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in at start-up" - accept, have this in mind and try fo fix the faulty stepping "in play". By now I think; It is better to look for the cause of "faulty pulling-in at start-up". I refer to post-10, JPG, switches "encircled orange". The switches "on Tilt-Relay, on Ball-Index-Relay***, on 100 to 900 Relay" should be easy to locate --- the "Playfield-Runway-Switch" I am uncertain --- here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1214&picno=46920 in the lower right corner of the pic, mounted on the playfield , angled - I see a switch. And here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1214&picno=14691 up, on the right I believe to see a bent wire to close the switch below. Maybe (maybe) there is the " Playfield-Runway-Switch" to be checked "truely open" ?

Switch on on Ball-Index-Relay***: A short wire runs from the Coil on the relay to a switch mounted on the relay - THIS is the switch to check - "open when the relay is not pulling" ?

Do not only look at the long blades with the contact-points - also look at the short studs opposite - a drop of solder or a dohair crap of wire fallen there ? or one of the short studs bent and making faulty contact ?

Good tip (Your post-21) - the heat-shrink tube. Greetings Rolf

#23 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

The fault happens 99% of the time.

When the fault happens, the ball is kicked over to the shooter alley on the second blink of the test light.

There is no difference in the frequency of the faults no matter how many bonuses on the Bonus Ladder.

The test light does not blink while the Bonus Ladder is counting down. It only blinks after the Bonus Ladder has counted down and ejects (or tries to eject) a ball.

The Tilt Relay is not pulled in at start up. Contacts are clean and no shorts between the solder lugs.

100-900 Relay is not pulled in at start up. Contacts are clean and no shorts between the solder lugs.

I think you're right about the Playfield Runaway Switch. The wire colors match the schematic. This is a make/break switch and is operating correctly and the contacts are clean. No shorts between solder lugs.

The switch on the Ball Index Relay with the short wire running from the coil to the switch is open when the relay is not pulling. Contacts are clean and no shorts between the solder lugs.

I really appreciate your patience and taking the time to help us with this.

#24 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
thanks for looking up and writing --- all the four mentioned (post-22 and 23) switches are open when the relays /runway-switch are not actuating, hmm. BUT the Ball-Index-Relay does faulty pull-in. Your post-1 does not explicitly says - so I ask: Did You buy the pin with the fault "a new game started does kick out Player-1-Ball-2" ? IF (if, if) an preowner had problems in the pin - tried to fix - messed-up, got frustrated and sold the pin - then we have the problem "We look at the wiring in the schematics and do tests with the schematics-wiring in mind --- but the wiring in Your pin is other / changed. Look at the JPG in post-10 - (small chance) - maybe an preowner onsoldered some wires and later soldered-on the wires - but faulty-soldered / exchanged positions soldered. I mean the three-bladed Playfield-Runway switch --- the middle-blade must have soldered-on "wire-green" --- the switchblade on part of the switch "at rest / not actuated / ball is not rolling over" must have soldered-on "wire-brown-yellow" --- the switchblade with wire-white-red shall only have contact with the middle-blade-green: When the ball rolls over and actuates the switch.
IF (if, if) the preowner soldered-on wire-brown-yellow and wire-white-red "soldered-on positions EXCHANGED": We then have the fault of pulling-in the Ball-Index-Relay. Plese look-up.

The written above is hoping for luck --- for the problem "Ball is not kicked-out at first attempt" we should have someting so we can say "NOW I want the Score-Motor run 120 degrees - it shall make a 'turn' (((of 120 degrees)))". My JPG here shows all switches that make the motor to do a turn --- "encircled green": I think these are "easy to access". ALL these switches have soldered-on wire-green and wire-grey-black. Look-out for a relay / switch EASY to access. Have a game running - wait - the pin idles - doing nothing - THEN hold the metal tip of an (insulated handle) screwdriver onto the TWO switchblades - making contact --- does the Score-Motor runs and makes a turn ?
It would be nice when You'd have two Jumper-Wires coming through the open coin-door / a Jumper-Wire with an switch mounted in the wire - coming through the open coin-door. You can have the playfield raised or have it lowered - whenever You want: You can make the Score-Motor to do a turn. We need this for to test on "ball kicking over to the shooter-alley. Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-10 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-10 (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

The previous owner said there was a problem with balls kicking out but did not say exactly what the probem was or if they tried to fix it.

The Playfield Runway switch is wired correctly and operates the way you descibe.

All 9 switches mentioned above cause the score motor to turn 120 degrees when jumpered between Green and Grey/Black wires.

Thanks again for all your help.

#26 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
bad luck for me --- the Playfield-Runway-Switch is wired as shown in the schematics --- therefore the fault "Ball-Index-Relay faulty pulling-in too early" is a mystery --- I would like to chase this fault later.

This post is about "maybe there is an mechanical problem on the 'Outhole-Kicker kicking the ball over to the shooter-alley' " (?) Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons --- You shall never touch bare wire / bare gator-clips - THIRTY Volts !). May want to remove the apron so You can see the ball-guide-lines for this kicking-over feature. Look at the JPG - "green wires" --- clip-on Jumper-Wires or use an Jumper-Wire with an built-in doorbell-pushbutton. Take the ends through the open coin-door out into the open. Have the playfield lifted - plug-in, toggle-on, start a game - accept when the pin kicks the ball out as ball-2. Take the ball out - sneak-in a stripe of paper into one switch on the outhole below the Outhole-Saucer --- sneak-in a stripe of paper into the other switch on the outhole below the Outhole-Saucer --- You now can lay the ball into the Outhole-Saucer and the pin does NOT realize that the ball lays in the Outhole-Saucer (as both switches are electricall open by the sneaked-in stripe of papers). (The pin is running) Take the playfield down, place the ball into the Outhole-Saucer. Make connection (my green wires) - the Outhole-Kicker kicks and You watch - mechanically all good ? You may have to bend on the Kicker-Arm - You may work on the ball-guide-rails - You may put a washer between wood of playfield and the housing of the Kicker-Unit to have the unit in a slightly other angle --- look and do what You can --- the goal is: ON FIRST attempt (Ball-Kicker kicks): The ball securely rolls over to the shooter-alley.
Once You have this: We will look at "JPG, my orange wiring" in combination with "lets make the motor do a turn (You already have tried the "tip-of-screw-driver trick" - You may have tried the "Jumper-Wires hold together version" --- we then take away the "my green stuff" and do "orange stuff connection together with 'lets make the motor run' " -- so through "closing of Motor-Switch-C-1" the Kicker shall kick). Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-14 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-14 (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I made a switch with long wires out of a door bell switch and clips. With this switch hooked up as in the green example, the ball kicks over to the shooters alley very strongly every time the switch is pushed. No binding or anything in the mechanical parts and they operate smoothly.

With the switch hooked up in the orange example, when holding the switch closed and using a screw driver to connect the C-1 switch contacts, it kicks every time.

Thanks for your help.

#28 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
please first read the whole post - then decide what You want to do for the next test - it can be confusing as the post is of "maybe You want to do this --- but when You consider of "something" You also could do it in other way etc."

Hi DryDock
fine - the Outhole-Kicker mechanically works good. Also fine - (You did part of what I want(ed) to do) --- with the (post-26, JPG) orange Jumper AND with the tip of a screwdriver closing SCM-C-1 the Outhole-Kicker also wirks fine. So mechanically and all the wires: Good in the pin - in question is the three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switch on the Outhole-Relay AND the SCM-C-1.

In the JPG here I show four ways of "how to make the motor to do a turn". A purist may say "In an original pin there is no pushbutton (to make the motor to run) mounted - I do not mount such a thing".
Every solution You can do with two Jumper-Wires clipped-on and taking the ends of the two Jumper-Wires through the open coin-door and then with the playfield down "make connection in the open" - maybe Yo need the help of a friend - one is doing the "connecting" while the other is manipulating on the playfield. I write here "mounting a 'Push-Button-Jumper-Wire":
State of the art is the "my blue version" - everybody sees at first glance what the wiring and switch are made for. The "rosa/pink version" is also easy to understand - the "red version" maybe makes an latter owner to think for a while. The easyest version for You to do is the "my brown version" --- an latter owner then may brood "what did the preowner (You) did with the "COIN-Relay" ??? Well, You are not interested in the COIN-Relay - You just close (by jumpering) "one of the many switches that make the motor to run - choosing the Coin-Relay as it also is mounted on the Mech.-Panel in the Cabinet".
You (+/- easily) can do testing NOT mounting a Jumper-Wire-with-push-Button" --- You do again what You did before writing Your post-27 - BUT You do NOT hold the tip of the screwdriver onto "SCM-C-1" --- You DO HOLD the tip of the screwdriver onto "Switch on COIN-Relay" - with this You MAKE the motor to run (Switch on Coin-Relay closed makes the motor run) - the "orange jumpering" allows "we do not need the Outhole-Relay" - and with the test You check "are the contact-points on the blades on SCM-C-1 clean and do the blades properly close ?". Greetings Rolf
P.S. - doing the "+/- easily": You must consider that You have the playfield lifted - it is "other position" - other than "We really play".

0Hollywood-Work-15 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-15 (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Sorry. I guess I didn't understand what you wanted me to do at first. When I jumped the wires on the Out Hole Relay in post #26, nothing happened. The Score Motor didn't run nor did it kick the Ball Return Coil.

I jumped the two wires with a screwdriver on the Coin Relay (brown version, post #28) and the Score Motor turned but it didn't kick the Ball Return Coil. I made sure the contacts on C-1 were clean before the test. The contacts are making good contact and breaking properly as the Score Motor turns.

Thanks for your help.

#30 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
we still are on the problem "The Ball-Return-Coil (the Outhole-Kicker) MUST securely, always kick the ball over to the shooter-alley AT FIRST attempt" (because we still have the fault of Ball-Index-Relay).
I do dislike to work on Score-Motor-Switches - so I make a lot of tests and only work on these switches when the results of my tests tell me "You must work on THAT Motor-Switch".
If YOU feel comfortable working on Score-Motor-Switches You simply can say "Have checked the Kicker mechanically - it is good --- have feeded the coil by jumpering - it is good --- so I check Score-Motor-Switch-C-1 and check the Make-and-Brake-Switch on the Outhole-Relay (wires soldered-on ? contact-points clean ? switch gapped correct ? (truely open when not activated and securely closed when activated).
If YOU feel comfortable ... You do the checking --- no need to read the rest of this post.

O.K. - before I work on Score-Motor-Switch-C-1 I want to be sure that this switch is (is it ?) faulty.
I use the fact "whenever the motor does a turn of 120 degrees: ALL Score-Motor-Switches are actuated". With the "top of JPG, brown stuff": I make the motor to do a turn when I want to have a turn of the motor.
I start a game - then I sneak-in the stripes of paper into the Outhole-Switches on the playfield below the Outhole - with this I can take the playfield down and put the ball into the Outhole - the pin does not realize (sneaked-in stripes of paper) that the ball is in the Outhole. I make permanent connection jumpering the Outhole-Relay-Switch (bottom of JPG, orange stuff).
Now I can do many times the same test: I have the playfield down - I lay the ball into the outhole - I make the motor to do a turn (top of JPG, brown) --- big question - through the turning motor activating Score-Motor-Switch-C-1: DOES the ball get kicked over EVERY TIME at FIRST attempt ? Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-16 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-16 (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I started a new game, put the paper between the contacts of the Outhole Switches. I jumpered the switch on the Out Hole Relay and used my switch across the Coin Relay switch as in the jpg. I pressed the button hooked up to the Coin Relay switch 100 times (I counted) and each time the Score Motor turned 120 degrees and the ball ejected every time on the first attempt.

I really appreciate your patience. Thanks for all the help.

#32 6 years ago

Hi Drydock
You have tested the Outhole-Kicker mechanically - You applied electricity to the coil direct - You did test the Score-Motor-Switch-C-1 --- all good.
Look at the bottom of the JPG in post-30 - remaining to test is the threebladed Make-and-Brake-Switch on the Outhole-Relay AND the question "does eventually the Outhole-Relay faulty quits pulling and so the Make-and-Brake-Switch is entitled to open - for us unfortunately too early" ?
These tests are difficult to do - it is easyer to have a good look at - clean maybe adjust - and hope for luck. Toggle-off the pin / unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) and inspect the mentioned Outhole-RELAY-Switch. Gently pull a bit on the wires - truely soldered-on ? Please use a flexstone or very fine sandpaper and clean the contact-points. Manualy activate the relay and let go - activate and let go --- DOES the switch securely moves / makes contact "wire-green to wire-red-white" ? (((I assume You have done this looking-at already on the Outhole-Switches below the Outhole on the playfield (?) )))
Look at the Outhole-RELAY - from one side of the coil runs a wire to "Switch mounted on the relay" - check THIS switch the same way. Put the pin in "5 balls per game" mode.
Then take away ALL Jumper-Wires - take away ALL sneaked-in stripes of paper. Start a game - accept that the ball given is ball-2. Have the playfield down - make some points then let the ball drain --- the next ball will be given - make some points - let the ball drain - the next ball will be given - make some points - etc. --- DOES the pin gives the next ball ALWYS on "first attempt" ?

IF (if, if) "Yes": would be fine --- IF (if, if) "No": I would like to check the "pulling-in and stay pulling" of the Outhole-RELAY. Please read and look at the JPG here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cfh-spirit-of-76-pioneer-bonus-count-down#post-3879012 --- see how the two car-bulbs (of 12 Volts) are hooked at a "COIL of an relay" see it "on the far right in the JPG". K-Mart and such stores, automotive department, car-electrics --- please buy THREE such bulbs - mount the THREE "in line" as Your pin runs on 30 to 32 Volts - hook this made Test-Light at the Coil on the Outhole-Relay (as shown on the far right in the JPG) - have long wires on the Testlight - take the Test-Light (wired) through the open coin-door out into the open so You can have the playfield down watch the Test-Light and do the tests again - the tests mentioned above --- big question: DOES the Test-Light ALWAYS lights-up the exactly SAME duration of time - DOES the Test-Light only lights-up once ? Greetings Rolf

#33 6 years ago

I hate to bust into this thread but I have a question. I have a Hollywood myself and at some point in its life someone removed the coin door lights as well as the coin mechs. I have replacment light sockets but have no idea which wires should connect to the sockets in order to add lights back to the coin door price plates.

Would someone be able to take a close up picture of their light sockets on this game or look at the schematic and tell me which wires should be used to connect to the light socket? As there seem to be wires for the coin mechs as well as the light sockets, I don't want to use the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Dave

#34 6 years ago

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem in an old EM pinball machine. The ball count unit needed to be removed/cleaned and springs replaced. It would do random ball counts etc. Very weird like there was no sequence to the problem...random such as your problem.

I also had a problem where the ball would drain, eject fine but ball count would change while still it was still in play. I found the problem in the drain switch. There is a little metal tab between the two leaf switches. I was bent enough to create contact between the two switches sometimes when the ball was in play. Adjusted this metal tab and problem was fixed.

Just some thoughts.

#35 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but life got in the way of fixing pins. The test light lights once with every ball kick and stays on the exact amount of time for each.

Thanks for your help.

#36 6 years ago

No problem, egypyrus. Here's your pic...

DSCN2250 (resized).JPGDSCN2250 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

Hi Chimeg,

Thanks for the reply. The ball count unit was taken apart, cleaned and re-lubed. I didn't replace any of the springs but I did put an extra turn on the ratchet post spring to make it tighter. Didn't make a difference, though. Checked the drain switch earlier in the post per Rolf. Its clean and adjusted.

#38 6 years ago

Very strange. Are the fingers on the ball count unit all connecting and aligned properly I wonder. Did you try to slacken the ratchet post spring? Maybe its too tight causing the fingers to move further ahead on the ball count before the solenoid gets a chance to re-lock the gear.

I'm really thinking this is in the ball count unit movement (mechanical) and not a wiring problem. One would think if it were a stuck leaf switch/wire it would be more consistent than random.

I'd adjust the springs just to see what happens or by new ones for testing...they'll never go astray.

#39 6 years ago

DryDock Thanks for the picture - it really helps!

Dave

#40 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
I am surprised - I hope for "positive surprised". You (still) have the problem in the pin: "Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in too early which makes a new game start in Ball-TWO". And You had the problem "When a ball is lost the pin often steps too much - skipping one or more balls as there are several attempts needed to kick the ball over to the shooter-alley". I then said "lets look at the second problem first" --- You then checked the kicker mechanically - then several tests - Your last answer (post-35) sounds good (exact amount of time AND lights-up together with an Ball-Kick) --- am I allowed to add / read-out: "Whenever a ball is lost and enters the Outhole: FIRST attempt kicks the ball completely over to the shooter-alley" and You can "kind of play" - play a FOUR ball play having the pin set to "5 ball per play" and You play the balls "2,3,4,5" --- may I read this out of Your post-35 ?
IF "No": Please describe what happens --- If "Yes": Write a short note and we start looking at the first problem "Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in too early ...". Greetings Rolf

#41 6 years ago

Hi rolf,

Sorry. I should have been more specific.

When the pin is reset, ball #1 shows on the back glass, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does not kick over. The test light blinks once again, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and the back glass shows ball #2.
I shoot ball #2, score a few points, then let it drain. Sometimes, ball #3 shows on the back glass, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does not kick over. The test light blinks once again, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and the back glass shows ball #4. Other times, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and the back glass shows ball #3. Most of the time it skips ball #3 and goes to ball #4 and then kicks over.

I shoot ball #4, score a few points, then let it drain. Most of the time, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and ball #5 shows on the back glass. Other times it will skip ball #4 and go to ball #5 and kick over. When it skips #4, the back glass will show ball #4, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does not kick over. The test light blinks once again, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and the back glass shows ball #5. When ball #4 is not skipped, it will skip ball #5 and show Game Over. Once again, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does not kick over. The test light blinks once again, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and then shows Game Over.

Whew! I hope this helps. I really appreciate your help on this.

#42 6 years ago

Hi Chimeg,

I also thought the fingers may be mis-aligned. I aligned them when I put the unit back together as they are in the parts catalog. The fingers and PC board was cleaned and lubed with Super Lube synthetic oil. The fingers seem to have enough spring to make good contact with the board. When I have the time, I'll try loosening the post spring and tightening the others, I have a spring assortment; maybe I'll look in there for some slightly shorter springs for those. Finding time to work on this with Thanksgiving less than a week away is really a PITA!

I really appreciate your input.

Ball Count Unit Fingers (resized).jpgBall Count Unit Fingers (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

Hi Dave,

Any time. I'm just glad I could contribute something for a change. Good luck and may the Pinforce be with you!

#44 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
thanks for saying thanks - and thanks for beeing patient --- I make You do a lot of tests - unfortunately I / we do not make progress, hmm.

Please do a test - start a game and whatever ball is kicked-out - launch the ball - make some points and make many bonus on the bonus-ladder. Then let the ball drain and watch the Test-Light (attached on the coil on Outhole-Relay) AND also watch the bonus-ladder on the playfield. The pin does step down the bonus-ladder - step, step, step and finally stepping from ONE bonus to "None, no more, bonus-ladder not lighted anymore" bonus. In this period of time while stepping down the bonus-ladder: The Test-Light is NOT allowed to light-up - does it faulty light-up while stepping down the bonus-ladder ?
Then as the bonus-ladder reaches "zero bonus": The Test-Light must light-up once.

Something strange has showed up --- in my post-14 I was writing about TWO Switches mounted on the Outhole. And by now I am uncertain if there are TWO switches --- or just ONE SWITCH. Please tell me about (one switch or two switches).
I was writing on my suggested (see above) test - had a closer look at the JPG in post-16 and I see something irritating - two me it seems as "Chicago Coins" have two drawings on two places - BUT SHOWING the same wiring / switches - irritating. I put together (mirrowed) schematics EFGH-19/20 together witch ABCD-3/4/5. So by now I believe that the Outhole on the playfield has mounted below: ONLY ONE SWITCH - please tell me about (one switch or two switches).

My "three rosa / pink question marks in the JPG here": Do You have access to Score-Motor-Switch-A-6 - do You see and can You confirm: This switch is securely OPEN when the motor is turning --- is it ? Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-17 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-17 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I thank you for sharing your knowlege. I've learned alot from you going through the tests with me. More than I would have trying on my own. I think if you're not patient with a hobby, you should not be involved in it in the first place.

I made some points, maxed out the bonuses, let the ball drain and while the bonuses are stepping down, the test light stays off until it steps down to zero. Then the test light comes on, a ball is kicked over and the test light goes out. I did this about a dozen times all with the same result.

I looked at Score Motor Switch A-6 and it is definately open while the Score Motor is turning.

I see what you mean. The Outhole Switch is a single leaf switch with two sets of contact points. Its the only switch under the Outhole. This makes no sense to me since only two wires are going to it anyway (BLK-G going to the moving part of the switch and BRN going to the stationary). Seems one set of contact points would be enough. See the picture.

DSCN2253 (resized).JPGDSCN2253 (resized).JPG

#46 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
strange this Outhole-Switch in Your pin --- I know dual switches - see here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dual-point-eos-switches#post-2790113 - but EOS-Switches and my flipperbutton switch(es) also have to handle MUCH CURRENT. Lets accept this strange phenomena in Your pin.

I am eager to make some progress on Your pins problems --- You write "during stepping down the bonus-ladder: The Outhole-Relay does NOT pull-in" - You see this as the Test-Light does NOT shine-up. Then the ball is kicked-over at FIRST attempt. Please try "loosing the ball having 10 bonus" - does the pin acts as we want him to act ? Then try "loosing the ball having 9 bonus" - does the pin acts as we want him to act ? Then try "loosing the ball having 8 bonus" - does the pin acts as we want him to act ? Then "7" ... then "6" then 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then Zero bonus. Do ALL these tests work - ball is kicked-over at first attempt ? (((Or when acting faulty: Is there a pattern recognizable ?)))

I do not know the pin --- here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1214&picno=10684 on top of the playfield I see three lanes - the ball must roll through one of them --- question: Do these lanes reward a bonus so EVERY ball launched at least makes one bonus on the bonus-ladder ?

IF (if, if) "with at least one bonus on the bonus-ladder" and the stepping to the next ball always works: You could have the pin in five balls per play mode - and play four ball plays - playing ball-2, -3, -4, -5 --- and we could work on the problem "Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in too early".
I live in Switzerland (south of Germany) - it is 20 minutes before midnight - I go to sleep, till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#47 6 years ago

Post # 41

"When the pin is reset, ball #1 shows on the back glass, the test light blinks once, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does not kick over. The test light blinks once again, I hear the Ball Count Unit step twice and the ball does kick over and the back glass shows ball #2."

When you say the ball does not kick over. Do you mean the solenoid fires, ball moves but does not make it to the shooter lane and rolls back over the drain switch?

#48 6 years ago

Hi Chrimeg,

When I say the ball doesn't kick over, the solenoid doesn't fire. The ball doesn't move. When the solenoid does fire, it really slams the ball into the shooter lane. Seems to me, anyway.

#49 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I did the testing 3 times.

On the first test, ball #4 was skipped on bonus 10 and ball #3 was skipped on bonus 7.

On the second test, ball #4 was skipped on bonus 2 and ball #3 was skipped on bonus 0.

On the third test, ball #3 was skipped on bonus 5, and ball #4 was skipped on bonus 2.

On four occasions during the testing, when the pin was restarted, it skipped ball #2 and started on ball #3. I then turned the pin off and on and restarted the pin to start the rest of the testing from ball #2.

It looks like the problem is random. There's no pattern to it.

The lanes on top of the playfield advance the bonus when a ball passes through. The two lanes on the sides advances the bonus one step. The center lane advances the bonus three steps. There is also a button switch above the center lane that when the ball rolls over, it advances the bonus one step.

Thanks again for your help.

#50 6 years ago

Hi Chrimeg
when testing I like to have the playfield down. Chasing the problem we need the information "Outhole-Relay pulls-in / Outhole-Relay stays pulling / Outhole-Relay quits pulling" - but we have the playfield down and so we cannot see the Outhole-Relay. So I suggested (see post-16, JPG - my three yellow bulbs - the Test-Light hooked-on parallel to the Coil on the Outhole-Relay): Lets mount an Test-Light so we see what the Outhole-RELAY is doing. The Test-Light is outside of the pin - long wires run from the Test-Light through the open Coin-Door to "Coil on Outhole-Relay".

Hi DryDock
I am german speaking - sometimes I struggle with the english language. What I meant with post-46 was / is:

First test: Start a game and accept the ball-given - maybe ball-1, maybe ball-2, maybe ball-3 - whatever ball is given. Then make some points and make 10 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. With the new ball: Make some points and make 10 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. Etc. until Game-Over.

Second test: Start a game and accept the ball-given - maybe ball-1, maybe ball-2, maybe ball-3 - whatever ball is given. Then make some points and make 9 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. With the new ball: Make some points and make 9 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. Etc. until Game-Over.

Third test: Start a game and accept the ball-given - maybe ball-1, maybe ball-2, maybe ball-3 - whatever ball is given. Then make some points and make 8 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. With the new ball: Make some points and make 8 bonus. Let the ball drain - what happens. Etc. until Game-Over.

Fourth test: ... 7 bonus ...
Fifth test: ... 6 bonus ...
etc. --- 5,4,3,2,1,Zero bonus ...

I need to understand the "Bonus counting down when a ball has drained". See the JPG, "encircled light-blue and encircled dark-blue" are the Score-Motor-Switches. I believe that when the Bonus-Count-Down starts and then steps rhythmically: On every turn of 120 degrees the SCM-B-4 acts once as well as the SCM-E-2 acts once. So TWO steps down on every turn of 120 degrees. And when looking at one full revolution (turning 360 degrees) therefore SIX steps down. Please do a new test - put exactly six bonus on the Bonus-Counter - have the playfield lifted - simulate with a finger "ball is lost" - listen to the Bonus-Count-Down-Stepper and watch the turning Score-Motor.
Please confirm or write what happens - I expect "having six bonus on the counter - they will be stepped down within exactly one full revolution, turn of 360 degrees" - what happens ?

As long in time as the pin is busy stepping down the Bonus-Ladder: The Outhole-Relay is not allowed to pull-in - means the Test-Light is not allowed to light-up. See towards the bottom of the JPG (my "red 1") - please check "a Switch on the Bonus-Unit that is opened / closed by a stud on the turning wheel / cam - closed only in position-Zero - truely open in positions-1,2,3,4,5,6 etc." This switch has wired-on wire-black-yellow, wire-black-green --- please check this switch.

See top, left on the JPG: When the Outhole-Relay pulls-in BEFORE the bonus-unit has reached position-zero (the Test-Light lights-up before the bonus-unit has reached position-zero): We must hinder the Outhole-Relay to pull-in with an sneaked-in Push-Button. You wait until the pin has counted down the bonus - THEN after a second: You push the push-button. The wire to be cut is the connecting wire "one side of the coil has a short wire running to 'switch mounted on the relay' ". Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-18 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-18 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgo-coin-hollywood-ball-reset?hl=chrimeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.