0Hollywood-Work-16 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-15 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-14 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-10 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-09 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-08 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-07 (resized).jpg
0Hollywood-Work-06 (resized).jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Sorry if this is a repeat post but looks like the first one didn't appear so I'll try again.

Hi Rolf, just want to make sure we are on the same path.

In your post # 50 you state:

"As long in time as the pin is busy stepping down the Bonus-Ladder: The Outhole-Relay is not allowed to pull-in"

So what you think is happening is:

Ball drains and bonus count begins. If the outhole-relay pulls in during this, the game thinks the ball is still in play. As the score has now changed and the drain switch is closed (because ball is still drained). The game triggers the ball count unit as though ball was played. Correct?

#52 6 years ago

Hi Chrimeg
I agree on the problem - at some places I would use other words - the end of Your post-51 maybe like this: Ball drains and bonus count down begins. If the outhole-relay faulty pulls-in during this, the brain of the pin believes 'bonus has been stepped down completely - I (brain) can proceed - activating the Outhole-Relay to step on the Ball and/or step on the player - and kick-over the new ball" --- some of the Outhole-stuff is faulty done --- BUT the bonus is not yet counted down - the Outhole-Switch is still closed - bonus is then stepped down completely and the Outhole-Relay pulls-in and kicks the ball over --- the stepping (now) on the player and/or ball is correct. The too-early pulling-in of the Outhole-Relay is the problem - the too-early stepping on player and/or ball is the problem. Greetings Rolf

#53 6 years ago

So the outhole-relay seems to pull in at random during the bonus count. Perhaps a switch contact somewhere close the solenoid that fires during the bonus count is adjusted to close. As the solenoid fires it sometimes creates continuity cause the relay to pull firing the ball count unit.

If the paper trick is working then my suspect in the ball count unit tension is ruled out.

It seems the drain switch has to be closed for this to happen as the problem only exists in that state. Not while "ball in play" index it triggered. It has to be in the "ball drained" circuit.

#54 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Sorry about the late reply. The holidays are starting to get in the way of working on pins.

With 7 bonuses, ball #3 was skipped and ball #4 was kicked over. With one bonus, the #4 ball was skipped and ball #5 was kicked over. With 0 bonuses the #2 ball was skipped and game started with ball #3 kicking over.

I tried it again and with 9 bonuses, the #4 ball was skipped and ball #5 kicked over. With 7 bonuses, ball #2 was skipped and game started with ball #3 kicking over.

I put six steps on the Bonus Stepper, then simulated a ball drain with my finger. The Score Motor turns 120 degrees for each 2 steps down of the Bonus Count Down Stepper. So after 6 steps, the Score Motor turns 360 degrees then stops, the test light goes on once, the Kickout Coil energizes and the test light goes out.

The switch on the Bonus Unit is definately closed in the zero potion and is open on the on rest of the steps.

The test light does not come on until the Bonus Unit has reached zero.

Thanks for your help.

#55 6 years ago

Hi DryDock
thanks for the tests --- another post to come on "trouble-shooting".
Unfortunately we do not make progress - so I say "I want to manipulate the pin so You can play" --- doing an work-around --- ugly to look at but You can play.
Look at the JPG - "encircled orange" - an Normally-Open-Switch on Ball-Index-Relay with wires: grey-yellow and yellow-red --- an Normally-Closed-Switch on Extraball-Relay with wires: yellow-red and red-yellow. Through a lot of stuff and the switches on these relays: Wire-black-blue on Ball-Count-Unit-STEP-UP-COIL feeds current and makes the unit to step-up.

Toggle-off the pin and locate one of the "encircled orange switches, Ball-Index-Relay or Extraball-Relay" --- sneak-in a stripe of paper to keep the switch ALWAYS open. When You then play with the sneaked-in stripe of paper: You will always play Ball-1.
So an improvement to this --- stripe of paper is in one of the switches AND You mount an Doorbell-Pushbutton*** (as You see on my Far Out on top of the JPG) --- after the pin has kicked the new ball out to the shooter-alley: You then actuate the pushbutton once (two-player-game) or You actuate the pushbutton twice (one-player-game). Instead of an doorbell-pushbutton You may use the open ends of two Jumper-Wires coming out of the open coin-door.

The wire-green (wire-green in the pin) is used in a lot of places in the pin --- it is "common" - You can clip-on at the transformer or at the Make-and-Brake-Switch on the Outhole-Relay or "wherever You have good access to an solder-lug with wire-green soldered-on".

Doorbell-Pushbutton***: On my Far Out I wanted to do some "Handycap-Races" with friends who seldom play pinball --- they were allowed to press these my added buttons to open the Gate on the right on the playfield - to open the Ball-Return on the left of the playfield ...
Greetings Rolf

0Hollywood-Work-19 (resized).jpg0Hollywood-Work-19 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the workaround. I'll give it a try.

2 months later
#57 6 years ago

After following all of the suggestions here, it got to the point where it was extremely reliable on every ball except number one. So when the ball was popped into the shooter Lane and it showed ball two, so I just hit the button again and it would reset with the ball still in the shooter Lane and come up as ball number one. For a two player game, just hit the button again! Pretty sure I can live with it like this.

P.S. For future reference, I slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the switch rather than sliding in a piece of paper which can fall out! Works really well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgo-coin-hollywood-ball-reset/page/2?hl=chrimeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.