(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#226 1 year ago

TZ is a great choice for a remake. Sure there's a lot packed into the game but I think it's less complex than a lot of modern games. I've done a complete teardown/rebuild on a TZ and it isn't any harder to shop out than most other games of that era. The gumball machine and clock are relatively easy to assemble, and yeah the game has lots of scoops and magnets but the overall BOM on the game is probably less than $500 more than most standard games, especially considering they are buying the parts in bulk.

The original TZ had poor quality pre DCS sound and a remake would have vastly improved sound, display animation, and lights. If they could also add a 2nd ruleset that had a better wizard mode and less grind ruleset, it would be a slam dunk.

#234 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

I have a 3rd magnet TZ. It’s pretty cool when the ball gets either stopped or slowed down going both directions on ball pf crossovers.
With Colordmd, Pinsound, 86pixels mod, leds, mini tv playing episodes, and all the switch upgrades for mini pf, TZ plays like a whole new pin anyways. Not sure how they could top that.

If Raw Thrills is involved as is rumored I'd have little doubt that Josh Sharpe would have a hand in the development of the game and an alternate ruleset to balance out the game and make it better for tournaments allowing for better strategy and more ways to approach the game and make a more interesting wizard mode. If there's one area that 90's games could be improved it's in the game rules. I think future games will follow the CCr model.

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Plus, they'd have to make the new one absolutely dead reliable. With a TZr being available, there would be a great chance that someone who's never considered owning a TZ(due to them being notoriously tough to work on for many reasons) buying one of the new ones and getting themselves into a mess they didn't expect. If the clock starts giving them fits, or the gumball machine starts acting up, or whatever, you're going to see a lot of complaining and buyer's remorse out there and it might end up doing more harm than good for future releases of remakes. There are collectors who only buy new machines because they don't have a mechanical or electrical bone in their body and don't want any of the headaches of working on or maintaining a pinball machine. Could you imagine how they'd feel if they had to start working on a game with the reputation TZ has? Ain't gonna happen, especially if they change some of the mechs/circuitry to something different from the original so that none of the original parts work and nobody knows all the tricks to get it working just right. That'd go over like a fart in church.

The clock issues on the original TZ were due to incandescent bulbs overheating the board. The clock board repros with LED's are very reliable and I'm sure anything that was developed for the repro will be bulletproofed. I rarely hear of issues with the gumball machines and I'm sure that a trough proximity board can be designed to be more reliable than the originals as well. Minus the original clock and proximity board defects on the original TZ the game is reliable and well designed. It's way less of a problematic game than something like STTNG and the game is actually much less complicated than most of the modern games.

#259 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, the rumor is based off a ramps order. What about the rest of the parts? Surely they aren't making all the other parts in house? Like the gumball machine for instance. Or what about the power balls? I don't imagine any company is selling thousands of those a year.

Stern was able to source powerballs for Avatar LE and Rolling Stones LE. I doubt it will be an issue.

1 week later
#318 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

There are 3500 FATHOMs and a lot of them are in used shape and there are 15000 TZ on the other side.
I really doubt this remake will ever happen IMO.

It's happening. Look at some of the recent TZ's that have been listed recently including 2 from Chicago Podcasters that have league with Industry people and are well connected.

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I think Haggis is happy to sell a relatively small number of very high-end remakes to pre-dmd collectors. CGC on the other hand is making 1000’s of every title. So unless CGC has some personal interest in re-making TZ, the question to me is why TZ versus unlicensed, standard bodies like TOTAN, CV and Whitewater that are much less complicated and selling for as much or more than TZ. But who knows. It’s the one game where I would consider buying the remake to sit alongside the original masterpiece.

I don't think collector's share the same fondness for games like TOTAN, TOM and CV that they do for TZ or TAF. The main reason those other games are collectible is that the production numbers are lower, not because people love the games. I think WH20 would be a good choice at some point but I think it is still behind the TZ and TAF in terms of collect ability.

#328 1 year ago

Regarding WH20, has anyone ever figured out how to successfully repro the foil for waterfall on the topper? It doesn't seem like a big deal since they were able to do it 30 years ago, but the repro's that i've seen were all inferior to the original.

8 months later
#686 6 months ago

Looks like Addams Family is getting remade virtually. If Atgames can get the license I think its about time for a proper pinball remake.

https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-pinball-4kp-standard-edition-the-addams-family

1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.