(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Exactly why this rumor is horse shit!

That, plus the fact that the info of the order of ramps itself is a rumor. It's a rumor, based on a rumor. Perhaps Rick was waiting for all the other parts vendors to be completely out of stock on their ramps as a way of cornering the market on his B/W license and making himself the sole supplier for all parts companies.

Besides, that 1,500 number seems a little small for a remake run, doesn't it? Based on sales of their previous remakes, I'd think their initial order for a TZr would be a bit higher. How many CCrs, AFMrs, and MMrs were made? Does anybody have those figures?

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Because the game is just grind out multiballs. Or to take a TAF like approach and just run through the modes without playing them to get to the wizard mode.

No offense, but don't most new Stern's have like 13 different multiball modes? I know GZ is way up there. Seems like every shot in modern Sterns has its own multiball mode. I think TZ has four total, different multiballs. And talk about grinding, some of the Stern games that are just simple fan layouts make you shoot the same five or six shots 40 or 50 times on your way to said multiballs. That's why I don't automatically love every new pin that comes out. The older B/W games are shallower rulesets, and are therefore shorter games, sure. But all the newer games do is layer modes under more shots and deeper rulesets. Same number and types of shots as the older games, you just have to rinse and repeat more. That's just not my cup of tea. Finishing a TAF is like a 30 minute process, finishing a GZ is like an hour and a half. Don't get me wrong, either, I love GZ, hope to own a premium someday.

There are lots of games, old and new, that most people love that I don't, and vice versa. I'm sure you can say the same, too.

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I will entertain a used pinball machine but I'd prefer a new one as I rather like playing rather than constantly fixing. I had a MB original and we have a load of Williams original games at our pinball club and the amount of effort required to keep them working 100% is nuts vs my 3 (hopefully soon 4) CGC remakes that require almost no maintenance at all other than a clean and rubber replacements. My original MB I had to replace switch after switch, Drac motor, lights etc. I don't think I\ve ever had to raise my MBR playfield once!
Neil.

Wait 20 more years and see if that is still true with your MBr. It's a simple factor of time and use. On the other hand, with my TZ, once I initially fixed all the issues it had when I got it from the previous owner and gave it a full deep clean and shop job, I haven't had to fix anything on it in since. The only times I've opened it up to work on stuff is to add functional mods, really. That's been just about shy of a decade now, and that includes taking it to multiple pinball shows over the years, too.

Personally, I think TZr is kind of a mistake without some kind of marked mechanical improvements or huge addition of some kind. I'd think if it came with a whole new style clock mechanism, mini switches on the upper playfield, 3rd magnet, and perhaps some sort of exclusive added features or modes solely for TZr, then there might be a better market for it. There are a ton of TZs out there already and it's fairly easy to find a nice enough one for around $8500 or so in most areas. Most people that want a TZ have one, or have had one. I think they'd have to under cut current market value by enough of a margin to make it worthwhile for someone to forgo an original one for a new one.

Plus, they'd have to make the new one absolutely dead reliable. With a TZr being available, there would be a great chance that someone who's never considered owning a TZ(due to them being notoriously tough to work on for many reasons) buying one of the new ones and getting themselves into a mess they didn't expect. If the clock starts giving them fits, or the gumball machine starts acting up, or whatever, you're going to see a lot of complaining and buyer's remorse out there and it might end up doing more harm than good for future releases of remakes. There are collectors who only buy new machines because they don't have a mechanical or electrical bone in their body and don't want any of the headaches of working on or maintaining a pinball machine. Could you imagine how they'd feel if they had to start working on a game with the reputation TZ has? Ain't gonna happen, especially if they change some of the mechs/circuitry to something different from the original so that none of the original parts work and nobody knows all the tricks to get it working just right. That'd go over like a fart in church.

#281 1 year ago

I'll go ahead and place a bet:

If TZr is going to happen, in order to really set it apart as a "new" game, I'll be they make the clock a full LCD screen. They could use something like this to make it happen. ebay.com link: itm

It'd be cool as all get out, sure, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot to do, programming and interface-wise. Still a decent possibility, though. I'd be impressed if they did it...

4 weeks later
#412 1 year ago

That trademark listing shows that it was previously a 1B trademark and is still going to be a 1B trademark. A 1B is an "intent-to-use" trademark. If it was 1B before, when Farsight had TZ in the Pinball Arcade, and also when Zen took over the B/W license for virtual games and it got kind of lost in limbo, then it's most likely that CBS is merely continuing the trademark claim to retain ownership of it. Because, if you don't re-up it every x number of years, you lose it. Kind of like how Sony keeps making Spider-man movies. It's part of their contract with Marvel that as long as they keep making Spider-man movies every so many years, they keep him. Otherwise he defaults back to Marvel, and now Disney as they own Marvel, for now.

Coincidental as far as timing, but I still say inconclusive.

1 month later
#448 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It is no co-incidence the TZ toppers have suddenly hit the market. No more holding up production of games waiting on parts as they will be made by a third party

TZ's never had a topper from the factory. What toppers are you talking about?

#457 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I know it didn't come with a topper. But if they remake, I will bet the LE has a topper.

Oh, that's a guarantee. Toppers are basically free money for manufacturers.

2 months later
#489 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If they remake it, it will sell like crazy. I find routed ones always play like shit, so a remake will allow everyone to play a fast, well-tuned copy.

It actually takes very little to really dial in a TZ and make it very fast. My first pin was a TZ that needed a lot of love and had some extremely unique problems that I've never heard of or seen since and I knew nothing about fixing pins then. But I got it done and my TZ plays super strong, reliable, and fast. I've got the playfield angle fairly high, too, to compensate. It's still fast.

1 week later
#549 10 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Flip the argument on it's head; how many titles were utter duds back in the day but in demand now?
Frankly the fact Catus Canyon got remade is astounding.

Cactus Canyon wasn't a dud. It got cancelled, as did all regular form-factor pinball at Williams, in favor of the Pinball 2000 format games. Code was largely unfinished on those 903 games that got made. That's why CCC was such a huge deal. It really fleshed out how great a game CC could have been if Williams didn't shut it down midstream. It being remade allowed for those that had always wanted the game to finally own one, and a brand new one that was complete, at that.

5 months later
#716 4 months ago

I still think TOM is the better remake right now. Zero licensing issues, you'd only have to deal with PPS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 132.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 22.50
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.