(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

From the article:
"the rumor that was submitted today is that a large 1,500 unit order of Twilight Zone ramps was placed in 2022."
Placed with who?

Well, who produced the ramps for MMr and CCr? Did CGC manufacture them themselves, did Starship Fantasy do them? or someone else?
Assuming that CGC didn't make them, then I would imagine the order would be with whoever it was that did...

Of course, it could all easily be BS.

I am on a list waiting for the next run of MMr, but a new TZr might make me re-think that...

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think TZ, as is, is grindy.

Maybe we have different definitions of grindy. What I like about TZ is the variety of shots and how, depending upon the mode, those shots are either very important or irrelevant.

For example, in most modes the clock target is irrelevant (and a drain threat), but in either of the clock modes it becomes important (and valuable). The Camera shot and the Dead End shots work similarly.

And as for deepness of rules, TZ is plenty deep for me. While I like GZ, the rules are so complex (and unintuitive) that I can't even understand it, much less complete it.

#140 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

IJ TPA is based on the first 3 Indy movies only, 3rd movie was done in 1989 I think. I know nothing of the licensing process, but I would think extracting revenue from old movies would be a bonus for any movie producer.

Except that Indiana Jones is a very "active" license, with a new movie on the way. Even if you could get the re-approvals of all the actors and such, Disney will be wanting to promote the new movie, not the old ones. And you can be sure that the "Indiana Jones" license will be a lot more expensive than the "Twilight Zone" license (which is certainly not "active").

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bond movies are 60 years old and by all accounts the licensing process is a total ongoing nightmare, so that’s not really how it works.

A lot of times it comes down to who owns the rights to stuff.

For example, if you get the Mission:Impossible rights from Paramount, that doesn't come with the rights to Tom Cruise's likeness. That would have to be negotiated separately with Tom Cruise.

Sometimes though, the rights to stuff like that comes with the property. In the case of Bond, did they have to negotiate with each actor (or their estate) separately for each of the Bond Villains, Women, and Henchmen? I don't know, but I sort of doubt it - since that would have taken forever and would have probably been excessively costly.

#144 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I'll be waiting on reports of a 1500 IJ TPA ramp order.

Did we ever figure out WHO that order was (supposedly) placed with?
Who made the ramps for MMr?

#171 1 year ago

Sure, there are "lots of TZ machines available", and even some at decent ($8-9K) prices.

But when was the last time you saw a NIB TZ available? And even if you found one, what would its price be?

And yes, you can get a "high-end" restored one that is as good as NIB, but you'll be paying big bucks for that...

As long as CGC can sell them for a reasonable price (and these days I'm not sure what that even means), they will sell as many as they want to make.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

I would argue even a nicely restored TZ would blow a remake away. Doesn’t have to be a zillion HEP restoration

Why would you think this? A "nicely restored" MB does not "blow away" an MBr. Sure, there are some people that "only want originals", but most everyone agrees that CGC's build quality is excellent.

And CGC's larger color displays, color-changing LEDs, and enhanced sound are distinct improvements over the originals. Yes, you could add ColorDMD and Pinsound into your original, but then you are adding even more cost to your "nicely restored" version.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

MBr is gorgeous. I almost bought one to replace my original MB, but then I played one. If you’re used to a real one - they just feel different. I opted to keep my original, it just feels right. I had an MMr for about 7 years and enjoyed it, but I never had an original. If I get MM again, I’m going original.

Hence my comment that "some people only want originals", and that's fine. But it is not a true statement that "a restored original will blow away a NIB remake".

Some will prefer the original, others will prefer an improved (big color display, changing LEDs, etc.) remake.

As to how the two "feel", I won't claim to tell you what you feel, but to me...every original MM feels different from every other original MM, and the remakes feel well within the range of differences between them all.

Besides, I haven't played a NIB original MM in a very long time, so I can't say how that might feel nowadays.

My EBD-LE feels very different from my brother's one, even though they are both original. If EBD gets remade, odds are it will feel different from both of ours.

#230 1 year ago

When the owner of Starship Fantasy (who makes repro ramps for many B/W machines) was asked if he got a 1500 count order for TZ ramps, he replied with this...

Quoted from lrosent345:

I have known for almost a year that TZ was next. Chicago Gaming does not use me for ramps. Northern Precision plastics is just around the corner from them. They manufactured the ramps for Williams. I have the original tool but they can manufacture a new one for less than 2 way shipping.

Just one more piece of information...

2 weeks later
#388 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

I contacted CGC through their website about the TZ rumor two weeks ago and they haven't responded. It would have been easy to shoot a reply out that it's a no go. So I am taking this as a definite confirmation that it's happening!

I asked them if they were going to start producing self-driving cars, or spy balloons...they didn't respond.
So, obviously that must be what they are working on.

1 week later
#402 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I’m glad I reached out to a distributor. Whenever it comes out doesn’t matter to me can be years from now I’m first in line and I’m ok with waiting.

Yep, got on a list with a well-known distributor, a couple of weeks ago. He said that the rumor was "strong", but had not heard anything specific.
I was already on his list for the next MMr run.

#405 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Dear god .... please don't let CGC build this remake !

Why would you say that? There is no one building better quality machines at this time.

Sure, CGC is bad at keeping to schedules, but I'd much rather have a great machine eventually, than a mediocre machine sooner...

#407 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping they've already built 1000 TZs on the secondary line and will have them ready to sell at TPF2023.

That might just be a little TOO optimistic...

1 month later
#435 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You should switch campfires.
CGC has the license to remake TZ.

Do we really know this? Which games does CGC have the rights for?

Obviously, they don't have all the older Bally rights, hence the Fathom remake being done elsewhere.

Do they only have the DMD machine rights, or do they also have System11 machines? Do we know for certain what machines they do or don't have permissions for?

#438 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is kinda the wrong question I think. Why would they have some sort of rights to whole genres of games? They work out a deal with PPS and SG for each project. They have discussed in the past what they want to target... and maybe have a deal with PPS to reserve some sort of RFR to have a stab at them... but its still most likely some project to project scheme.

Sure, that makes sense...but then, again, how does Damonator KNOW that CGC has the rights to TZ?

Quoted from Damonator:

CGC has the license to remake TZ.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'd just like to know the source of this supposed info, and what other machines CGC has the license for.

#452 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

Somewhat related, Centaur would be an awesome remake, it might be the best looking pin of all time (imo), anyone looking to do it eventually?

I believe that Centaur is on Haggis Pinball's list for a possible remake (though who knows when that will be).

As to how it looks...I hate the look of Centaur, though I love the layout and gameplay. If I ever had the time and money (and talent), I'd buy a Centaur and do a complete re-theme. It doesn't even matter what the new theme would be - anything else would be a vast improvement.

And yes, I realize that I have the minority opinion on this...

#459 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

replace that mislabeled tilt warning setting (for now days) with real tilt warnings in an update

I have no idea what this means...

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Why would it not be $8k for an SE like CCSE?
Scooby Doo SE is a widebody LCD and sells for $7769.

Well, it's safe to say that the cost to produce a TZr would be higher than that of CCr, so it would be likely that a price increase would be needed.

I would think an extra $500 to $1000 would be reasonable...but that's just a guess.

2 months later
#497 10 months ago

While I would love a TZ remake, I would think that (on top of the licensing issues) the re-tooling necessary to make wide-body machines might be costly/inconvenient. If they could spread that cost among multiple titles that would help a lot.

But, the only other wide-body remake candidates in the Pinside top 100 are Indiana Jones (#20) and Road Show (#87). Yes, the Pinside ranking is flawed, but it's still a decent list of what is popular or not.

IJ has its own licensing issues, and no one is clamoring for a RS remake (even though I think RS is underrated). Unless CGC is planning to release its own wide-body designs in the future, I doubt they would go this route.

#500 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I've heard others make this argument, but I don't quite understand it. Pinball machines are hand built by all manufacturers. Every single title requires retooling (ramps, toys, playfields, dimple press, wire harness looms, etc). I don't see how adding a couple of inches to a playfield requires extensive changes otherwise. Spooky just made their first widebody and I didn't hear anything about mass "re-tooling" efforts.
I'm not trying to refute what you are saying, just asking for your perspective.

Sure, there are new items made for each title, but, the cabinets and playfields are not "hand built". I'm sure that having a standard cabinet size makes life a lot easier in many respects and the same goes for the playfield. I believe CGC is the only company still doing silk-screened playfields, who knows what additional costs/tooling would be required to do wide-body silk-screens?

The real question (and I've never heard a clear cut answer), does CGC still manufacture cabinets for any of the other pinball companies (they did at one point in time)? And if so, are any of THEM wide bodies?

And yes, the licensing is certainly a huge issue when it comes to TZ and IJ. If there were several popular non-licensed wide-body remakes to be be done, maybe it would be worth re-tooling for - but the only one is Road Show (which is unlikely to be a huge seller).

So, unless CGC really can get both the TZ and IJ licenses, it's probably not worth the effort.

#504 10 months ago

I think you have some items backwards there...

It was CV that the distributors were "giving away". I don't know why you thought that was TZ. I've never heard of TZ failing. If it had, Williams would not have followed it up with a bunch more "Super Pins".

#530 10 months ago

The problem is we have different criteria for "success".

Some consider selling a lot of machines, and those machines seeing lots of play, and see "success".
Others see the high BOM cost and the low reliability of the mechs, and see "failure".

I always saw it as a success, but I was a player back then, not an operator or a tech...

#574 9 months ago

I heard that CGC is going to remake Hercules...

3 months later
#695 6 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm fighting with trying to decide if I want a TZ or MM.

Yep. I've been on a MMr wait list for two years now, but if they announce a TZ remake it will be a real hard choice.
And I don't have room (or the cash) for both.

1 month later
#715 4 months ago

I would hope that the people at CGC would be smart enough to avoid anything even remotely connected to Jpop or Deeproot...

You do not put your foot into the Bog of Eternal Stench.

2 weeks later
#732 4 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Stern. They certainly have the capacity. Moved into that new facility and are running at like 50% after seeing it on the Expo tour...

I really doubt that Stern will start doing B/W remakes. They have plenty of their own machines to build.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Pedretti, the makers who brought you Funhouse 2.0. This was already mentioned in another thread a few months ago to be the company to build the next set of remakes.

I believe that this was somebody's complete speculation (as in "wouldn't it be nice if..."). AFAIK, there has not been an announcement by anybody that TZ is being remade.

There has been a lot of "I heard" that CGC is not doing any more remakes (or that Planetary is "mad" at CGC), but no one can seem to say where they heard it.

#741 4 months ago

That old rumor about ramps being ordered was always fishy to me. The rumor couldn't say either who ordered the ramps, or who the ramps were ordered from. If they don't know either of those, how did they know anything at all?

I would love it if CGC would remake TZ, but I think it unlikely. And somebody else remaking it seems even less likely.

#795 4 months ago

As for Gottlieb remakes, I would think Haunted House would be a popular choice.

3 months later
#837 26 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Couldn't agree more. They are almost 2.5 years into CCR and they still haven't delivered all the LE games, and started building PF so clearly they could give two shits about customers. Yes they make quality games, but their customer communication and manufacturing is by far the worst in the industry. This coming from someone whose owned all their past LE releases.

They have two production lines running now. One line is finishing up CCr and the other is doing Pulp Fiction. They haven't stopped CCr production to make PF. Once the CCr's are done, they will be doing another run of MMr. After that, who knows? (though TZr would be nice...)

#840 26 days ago
Quoted from jfh:

Are you sure? There are indeed two production lines but i understood there weren’t enough workers to staff both simultaneously.

Well, that's what they told me at TPF - but no, I haven't seen the lines running myself.
If they have a staffing problem, they (understandably) didn't mention it to me.

#841 26 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

but its kinda BS that they don't finish CCR prior to PF deliveries.

You are assuming that they are making a choice to not deliver the CCrLE machines. Maybe they are still only getting the wood apron parts in slowly. There could be several reasons why CCr deliveries are slow (other than "we just decided to make PF instead").

Of course, some sort of info from CGC on this would be beneficial.
Slow deliveries is a problem, slow deliveries with no explanation is a bigger problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.