(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

A freind of mine who told me about CCr and the interactive topper months before announcement advised of the same, TZr is the next remake. Kind of wish it was Adams.

I could see TZ being remade sooner just because the number of licenses to deal with is fewer in number.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

with 20,000 twilight zones produced, this is head scratcher. If you want a TZ you could for surely find one today.

Not at all- How much is one in nice condition selling for? What they are selling for, not how many were made is the question.

And nice ones are selling for good coin.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Also, a new machine needs a lot of tweaking and dialing in and repairs, too. On my new in box Godzilla lights were wired wrong and I had to do soldering. I had to add playfield alignment brackets. Align the flippers properly. Align the shooter rod. I had to add a mod just to make it shoot straight. The people at the factory roughly put it together but they will never dial it the way that is optimal and what it really should be.

Not to mention Stern flipper stops beating themselves to dust in a few hundred plays. A new pin is no guarantee of a maintenance free life. I have had bad sockets, broken wiring harness, a broken drop target bracket, node board issues, etc. It just goes with the territory and some are better than others in certain areas.

#241 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Personally, I think TZr is kind of a mistake without some kind of marked mechanical improvements or huge addition of some kind.

Nah. Have code 2.0 available as a choice at start, color display, upgraded sound (which is almost a given now that ram is so cheap you don't have to worry about compression) and it will sell like hotcakes.

Added: LED out of the box one would assume.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

2.0?
more like maybe an 10.0
that is most of 9.4H + coin play
9.2 is good and 9.4H added an few things / fixes.
or just use 9.4HC like they did for monster bash.

Normies can't grasp that nuance.

Original code <--> New 2.0 code!

#305 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Think it's going to longer than 4 years, if at all.

If someone already has an order for 1500 ramps, I doubt they are going to wait 4 years to roll out

#315 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I really have my doubts about this rumor. Why make a new game for something that can still be easily found for a reasonable price? It just doesn't make financial sense to do TZ now.

You could make the same argument for Fathom.

#317 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

There are 3500 FATHOMs and a lot of them are in used shape and there are 15000 TZ on the other side.
I really doubt this remake will ever happen IMO.

I would have bet against Cactus Canyon being repopped too.

Have to see how it plays out.

#319 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's happening. Look at some of the recent TZ's that have been listed recently including 2 from Chicago Podcasters that have league with Industry people and are well connected.

Myself I'm not overly concerned either way. There is such a huge selection of pins available I think I could easily spend the next decade trying and or buying the titles available that I have not tried or purchased yet.

I'm toying with this or another title for first NIB purchase but not going to fret a millisecond if it doesn't come to market.

#325 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:I don't think collector's share the same fondness for games like TOTAN, TOM and CV that they do for TZ or TAF.

This is my view, I have no interest in those at all. I have played Whitewater but nothing tweaked my "I'd like to buy this"

#369 1 year ago
Quoted from Rasslinmoron:

15k-20k for TZ if it's indeed remade.

Nah, $20k large? That is shooting yourself in face pricing.

That isn't the niche CGC been playing in and seem comfortable with.

4 months later
#499 10 months ago

Wide body vs non-widebody is a moot point I think.

Demand and licensing are the main drivers when deciding what is next on the line I wager. There are additional costs going wide body, the main being cabinet, wider playfield blank and pf glass but not uncharted areas either.

Gary Stern himself stated licensing is a huge PITA now, anyone making pins is going to go after the low hanging fruit.

Conjecture; Easier to make a TZ pin than an Indy pin due to age of franchise and number of actors still alive with their hands out for money. Aliens could not use Ripley at all due to Weaver's agent demanding astronomical amounts of money. She is notably absent from Ghostbusters as well.

#512 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

?
She’s on the apron and near the bottom left
[quoted image]

I'm aware of it but due to quirk of licensing a different "character" no voice calls outs or normal characters.

#514 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think Andrew was just cheap and didn’t know what he was doing…

Weaver is notoriously expensive.

David Thiel covered this in some detail on one of his podcasts when they were working on the Alien game.

#519 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Because thats what Andrew was telling everyone when really he was just not wanting to spend money.

Just to show up for event she requests $300,000 to $500,000 bucks. Minimum.

This is a matter of record outside pinball, she is expensive.

#522 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Here's a detailed and logical explanation of why TZ wasn't a huge success, despite selling 15K units."
"BUT IT SOLD 15K UNITS!"
Never change Pinside.

I think what happened then is largely irrelevant today. People focusing on that is baffling to me at the moment.

How much is it to license the title and projected demand is important right here and now.

#524 10 months ago

Flip the argument on it's head; how many titles were utter duds back in the day but in demand now?

Frankly the fact Catus Canyon got remade is astounding.

#550 10 months ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Cactus Canyon wasn't a dud.

Not all reviewers agree and I'm just using it as an example of a title that got redone when you think other more popular titles would have been done first. A reasonable assumption is low licensing cost compared to a major franchise like IJ or TZ.

How about Dragonfist? Only 302 made and it has a higher rating than CC. Again, just a random example.

BBB or TZ remakes would sell respectable numbers, Indiana Jones would sell well but I see the license on that one being difficult.

Not impossible but difficult.

#554 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

CC is a rare game that bordered on grail territory. If somebody had a CC in their collection it was a pretty big flex. Plus the game is just pretty neat with great art and stuff going on on the playfield. It makes perfect sense that CC got remade. It was an in demand game that collectors pined for and didn't come up for sale very often and when it did it commanded large prices.

I have owned almost 100 pins in 5 years, CC wasn't even a remote consideration to play let alone acquire.

You like the game, great. I like various odd titles too, I don't expect them to be remade just because I have a particular like for them.

And that is great about pinball, there is something for everyone.

BBB and TZ would be high up for me to buy should they be remade.

#565 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

OK, but see the thing is companies want to make money, so they don't make games for what Gdonovan on pinside likes, they make games that a lot of people will want, and given what I've layed out here it shouldn't be hard to undertstand why CC was chosen.

How about the license was cheap and they need to keep the line moving.

You keep ignoring that possibility. It's not a franchise like TZ, Adams or IJ so licensing is a factor.

Companies don't care about your personal likes either. As some sage poster noted, if Stern followed advice from Pinside they would be bankrupt inside a year.

I'd have to agree.

3 months later
#660 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

For other projects.
Rick posted about the Funhouse 2.0 kits, and Fathom games, that PPS is working with manufacturers on other projects.
Never anything about cutting ties with CGC.
Same with CGC looking to other games.
LTG : )

If PPS will retain ties with that dirtbag on Ebay, I suspect CGC is just fine.

They turn out a quality product, the dirtbag on Ebay not so much despite repeated complaints.

#664 6 months ago
Quoted from Bohm:

It would seem like remaking CV, TOM, TOTAN or even WW before TZ would make more sense but what do I know.

I'm not an expert but did run a business or two.

In my opinion there is 5 to 6 competing factors; How difficult to get the license, how expensive is the license, what is the current market for the target machine, how popular is the target machine, how difficult to manufacture the target machine and how badly does the principle company want to turn out the target machine.

I have seen the most obscure stuff brought to market because it was someone's passion project so you can't rule that out being a factor.

Twilight Zone, Indy and Addams family seem good targets from the popularity & price (profit) point of view but I'd imagine the licensing would be hellish with overlapping parties involved. I'd IMAGINE that Twilight Zone would be the easiest with only one major figure (Rod Serling) involved plus the studio, CBS. But that would depend on how reasonable is the estate whom holds the rights to Rod Serling's likeness and voice?

According to Serling's website CBS owns everything related to TZ lock, stock and barrel.

Edit: I forgot to mention an example of how EXPENSIVE it can be or difficult to get some rights for a game. MJ Fox wanted nothing to do with BTTF when it was done by Data East and Sigourney Weaver is NOTORIOUSLY expensive, so much so that PB could not or were unwilling to secure the rights for her in the Alien game.

In Ghostbusters she is just a plastic near the library and even then its the "gatekeeper" character so maybe she did not have rights to it.

#665 6 months ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

That’s what the general consensus is. No licensing involved etc.
TOM and TOTAN would look beautiful. But I think I’d be happier with TZ long term. Owning a CV kinda turned me off J Pop games.
Richard

That is the problem with games like TOM & TOTAN, might be easy to get the license but is it popular enough to justify doing a run?

#668 6 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I didn't think Cactus Canyon was going to be popular enough for a run, but it seems to have sold well for them. TOM and TOTAN would likely do at least as well as CC.

That is a fair point, thought CC was made in small numbers and had unfinished code.

Over 6000 TOM were made compared to less than 1000 CC.

So there was a market there for finished product in the case of CC.

2 months later
#806 4 months ago

I could see maybe Black Hole getting a re-release but anything else in the Gottlieb solid state catalog a tough hill to climb. BH is iconic and very little in the playfield hardware excessively unique.

Haunted house has more unique parts and third playfield going to really add to the BOM.

#810 4 months ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I have one that arrived DOA. It works now and my 14yo daughter loves it. It won't be staying past summer. The thing is huge. Wider than a Williams Superpin, longer too. Really well engineered. I think there are enough out there that pop up from time to time to satisfy any demand. I could be wrong though.

I have owned three so for the moment agree. The pool of available older pins is drying up over time though so the dynamic could change.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 29.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.