(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 1 year ago

Years ago, when MMr production was starting, I asked Rick about TZ and he said, too complicated, too many, not on the list. He has mentioned other games in the past, such as TOM, ToTAN, etc. which would be much easier to build. I ended up buying a Bryan Kelly restored TZ that is excellent, and am happy with it. Not sure why I'd get a remake. Colordmd lcd is fantastic on this game, mods are great such as the tv showing clips, 86pixels lcd backboard, pyramid topper, and so forth. The level of complexity is so huge on this game: 5 magnets, ceramic ball sensors, optos all over, complex subway system, raised playfield, gumball mech, widebody extra real estate. If a single part on the CCr topper can shut down the production, imagine what could happen here.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Come on, that’s a cheap shot. That could happen to any manufacturer with any custom part if a subcontractor screws up.

Not a cheap shot, I'm a fan of Doug Duba and CGC in general. Just a numbers game, the number of parts in TZ and complexity exceed the prior games, so more issues can occur.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

I've restored TZ and MB and I thought they were equally a bitch to rebuild. I hate the monster table more than anything on TZ that I can think of. So I think they can handle the build since they did MB.
What i don't get is there are 4x-15x more TZs than any other game CGC has done so far or why anyone thinks TZs rules are shallow. I think the nuances of that game would be longer than a stern rulesheet.

After I posted that, I was thinking about Monster Bash remake, agree that is a really complex game. I also think the remake is just exceptional. I'd love to see what they would do with a TZ remake, a special theme for me. But since so many TZs are available, and other games like ToTAN super expensive, that would be my preference. An updated ToTAN with more code, a topper, rgb would be amazing.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I've redone two TZ's and its actually pretty straightforward. The sub-mechanisms are not too bad including the clock and gumball machine. I actually had more time into redoing a Taxi than a TZ...those interlocking ramps would be a nightmare on an assembly line IMHO.
As for CGC struggling to CCr out, its not the pinball machine....its the topper which is a totally new device.
As a current TZ owner, if the pricing was reasonable, I would be in for a TZr. I think CGC does a great job and TZ is an epic title with a ton of appeal. To be honest with you, CGC could keep building any of these "A"-list Bally Williams titles (AFM, MB, TZ, CC) and they will most likely sell them all without issue. The demand is out there.

Interesting to hear from you guys that have taken them apart completely. I guess I'll eat my words on that and look forward to seeing a remake.

#237 1 year ago

ToTAN would be very successful. Shoot, FH would have a ton of demand too.

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There is a reason 'geneva switch' is part of our brain's list of familiar words...
But yeah, most of the areas that are problematic in TZ have already been enhanced since the early 90s and in CGC's wheelhouse
Proximity Sensors
Clock Design
MF switches
GI limitations
Display Tech
I think points against a TZ remake are 1) sheer BOM scale and 2) a high expectation of mods/enhancements.
TZ is *THE* original mod machine. Games everywhere are loaded up with all kinds of figurines, extra displays, etc.. all the kind of stuff that is expensive to try to reproduce yourself at small volume. And many are of the licensed material variety too. A CGC game would be compared to a heavily mod'd TZ when talking about 'value'.
Looking at the game, something like the Gumball machine is probably the scariest part. It has like a dozen custom plastic pieces alone. I know many of those were around for a long time, but to produce 2,000 pieces is not something you do from raiding the old parts pin
TZ with new sound
new wide display and art
new GI effects
Modernized Clock and Proximity
Modernized mini PF switches and lighting
New mods to update the piano, slot machine, camera, robbie
Bring in the 3rd magnet
Re-engineered ramp diverter
Re-engineered Gumball machine
I think you would have a compelling offer. But it's a game that represents so much development cost to produce.. and thats before you even broach the whole 3rd party IP topic and how that can impact time and cost.
Still seems like a stretch... especially when other lower-hanging fruit like ToTAN and TOM are still around and able to be done.

Excellent summary. I would guess that Rod Serling's daughters are managing the estate now that his wife died a couple of years ago, probably pretty easy to reboot that. So many of us have really nice examples that CGC/PPS can't really count on prior owners. But the number of new collectors has gone through the roof, so the demand will no doubt be there no matter what they make.

1 week later
#334 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I thought Totan was next?

That makes a lot more sense to me. Values are really high on ToTAN, and the potential for improving the game is huge: new code, cool topper, rgb, etc. Benoit has already done some great work on ToTAN 2.0 that could potentially be integrated. TZ is a very complete game as it is, and you can get great examples for $10k. Mine plays like a new game. Also, this would be a big departure from the two flipper fan layouts of the first 4 remakes. I'd love to know the source for that 1500 ramps order. Was it planted as a distraction, or the real thing? Guess we will know eventually.

#339 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Well 3 just hit the market in the last hour. Cross off 3 names

Even CrazyLevi is selling his, and I thought he hated remakes! It would be cool to see what they do with one, I guess a nice topper and rgb, maybe add the third magnet back, bigger LCD of course. Shoot, maybe I'd get one after all.

#342 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't like the game very much and I am certainly not selling it because I want a remake.
I need money and space, just like everybody else in this hobby!

I figured as much. Doesn't seem your style. But I love Rod Serling, so maybe it is sentimental. My Tron gets a lot more play right now, but it’s new in my collection. The complexity of TZ is fantastic.

#345 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love the theme, and the entire package. The game as a whole as just never grabbed me like others have. I can see why so many people love it though.

I think the modes are so distinctive, that I just enjoy combining them and having different experiences. Serling was a genius, died too young. Seems like the best science fiction is still borrowing from him.

1 week later
#394 1 year ago
Quoted from CQQLKAT-LEE:

In what proved to be a very poor choice, Rod Serling sold the rights to The Twilight Zone to CBS, so his daughters Anne and Jody do not have the rights to Twilight Zone.

That’s interesting! I recall that his wife was involved in signing off on the game.

When it was released on location, it was a headache for operators to constantly fix and adjust. It has been revered in homes, where we can tweak and dial. I can’t remember the last time I saw a good example in the field. Given that CGC has a ton of games on location, this is another variable to consider,
on top of build complexity and cost. 4-5 magnets, proximity sensors, upper playfield, gumball machine, extensive subways, etc etc. I hope they do it, but it’s a strange choice with all the ones already out there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 12.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=dts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.