(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I know I would want this, but I can't imagine it will be less than 12k.

I don't think it will jump that much. My guess is 9k standard/10k LE.

I would be in fo sho on a 3 magnet CGC TZ.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

What makes the 3rd magnet so special. I have a TZ and still can’t figure it out

The 3rd magnet allows the game to grab all 3 balls to start multi ball which is a cool effect (and already in the code). But you could do even more tricks with extended code.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Doubt TaF will ever be done. To many actors approval would need to be secured. CGC should do one based on the comic strip or OG tv show.

7 is too many? And 4 of those are just image likeness? I just remember Raul/Angelica doing the callouts with a few movie quotes sprinkled in from Lloyd? I doubt Angelica or the estate of Raul would be hard licenses - maybe just Lloyd.

But recreating something that has already been approved (and 20k of them exist) is always an easier license than creating something new. I doubt it's as hard as people make it out to be.

#49 1 year ago

I don't think the 1500 number is odd at all. I bet that will be the number of LE games this time (CCRLE was 1250) and those will be made first. They had intended to make CCRLE first as well, but had topper design/supply issues so made the SEs first.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Put me on the list for TOTAN, TOM, MMr, and Scared Stiff before a TZ is made.

I'd like to see TOTAN as well if the code were extended/tweaked.

But I have it on very good authority that the TOTAN license is currently unavailable. Not sure if it's due to the Mirco TOTAN kit or what - I just know that they couldn't do TOTAN right now even if they wanted to.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

I think it’s gone already

Gone at Disneyland, still there at Disneyworld (Hollywood Studios).

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just doesn't make much sense for me for all the reasons stated, unless they've decided to go all-in on the widebodies (TZ/IJ) in the next 5 years.
The prices would be well into the five figures, so they'd basically be changing their current model from selling a lot for less to selling fewer for much more.

Why does everyone assume widebodies are so much more costly to build than standard bodies? I doubt TZ's BOM is even $500 more than CC's. Spooky is pricing a Scooby Doo widebody under $10k, and I'm sure TZr will be about the same price. $10k LE, $9k SE is a modest jump over CC prices - and a welcome option over current Stern/JJP pricing.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you are dreaming if you think a "modest jump over CC prices" is what we'd see if they actually produced these games. Would be more like TS4 pricing.

So Spooky can make a brand new widebody for under $10k, but CGC can't make a remake widebody for the same price?

Not every manufacturer is stupid enough to follow JJP over the cliff...most of us passed on TS4 because of the cost alone - it's why several distribs still have TS4CEs in stock.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not many people would buy a brand new Spooky widebody for over $10K. Scooby isn't even sold out at under $10K, which I wouldn't think relevant but I'll bring up since you've crowbarred TS4 into the discussion.
Plenty would buy a brand new TZ or IJ for over $10K.
Why bother going through all the trouble to invest in this project if you aren't going to maximize your profits?

You brought up "TS4 pricing" - not me, so not sure how I'm "crowbarring" it into the conversation.

But you just made my point for me - "Spooky isn't even sold out at under $10k" is exactly why CGC wouldn't be stupid enough to price TZr at TS4 levels. "Plenty of people would buy a brand new TZ for over $10k" is not 1500 LEs and 1500 SEs. If they price it attractively (ie $9k SE/ $10k LE), they will sell 3k of them (or more).

Quoted from jawjaw:

CCr SE is what - $8000 or little more? Not only is TZ widebody, but has upper pf, subways, 4 flippers, lots of magnets, and plenty more mech. I would be absolutely shocked if you can produce TZ for less than $10000. Even a basic Stern pro is now $7000. Maybe it can be done but what's the point if you don't make any money doing it?

CCr SE is $8k, correct. So a $9k TZr SE would make you more money per unit as the difference in CC BOM vs TZ BOM is highly likely to be less than $1k.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Scooby isn't really a widebody either. It has a widebody cabinet, but the playfield is standard sized. They use the extra space on the edges to put some decorations and wireforms.

The Scooby playfield is a widebody - they just made the shot trajectories similar to a standard body.

FE5CD4AD-CF7D-4D6C-AA26-668B56ADCEB7 (resized).jpegFE5CD4AD-CF7D-4D6C-AA26-668B56ADCEB7 (resized).jpeg

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Would be more like TS4 pricing.

You started it!

Also note Alien pricing - it's a widebody that had to be completely re-engineered (and has to be shipped from Sweden), yet they can make a profit at $9k SE, $10.7k LE.

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I will freely admit that I do not understand the contracts in this area, but I am assuming that Brian Eddy gets some sort of check for every Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness sold. I do not think CGC has actually built a run of his games since he moved to Stern. I would assume that Pat Lawlor would get some sort of royalty check for Twilight Zone, although I have no idea how much that would be. He may or may not be able to sign off on whether an outside company remakes those old games.
Disclaimer: This is speculation, and I don't know any of the above for sure.

I doubt it works that way. In every company I've worked for, anything I create for them while working there is 100% owned by them.

The licensing for the sounds, visuals, theme works differently of course - those rights owners will receive compensation for any new games created.

1 week later
#327 1 year ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I think Haggis is happy to sell a relatively small number of very high-end remakes to pre-dmd collectors.

I bought a Haggis Fathom Mermaid because I think it is the most beautiful game ever made - I don't have any pre-dmd games otherwise.

As for TZ, it's simple math. To get a completely restored TZ with new everything, it's going to cost $13-$18k. But a new CGC TZr (with improved screen, sound, RGB lights and topper) would be $10k (ish).

TZr would sell like hotcakes.

#330 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Regarding WH20, has anyone ever figured out how to successfully repro the foil for waterfall on the topper? It doesn't seem like a big deal since they were able to do it 30 years ago, but the repro's that i've seen were all inferior to the original.

It's near impossible to reproduce without the original mold/press as it's a textured (and colored) foil.

#347 1 year ago

Don't get him started - Punchy The Clown Remake

#352 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

we do not need more redemption pinball games. Maybe ticket tack toe.

Hah - I'm not advocating for it - just explaining the acronym.

#362 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's awful cute everybody thinks a TZ remake would be $10K!

It feels like we've had this discussion before...

I'll 100% buy TZr at $10k (ish) and I'll 100% pass at $13k. My guess is at least 80% of potential purchasers would feel the same. CGC isn't stupid.

#364 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

And they have done very well so far.

They've done well so far because they have stayed below Stern/JJP pricing. CCRLE was priced at $9250 when Stern was charging $10.5k for GZLE and JJP was charging $10k (later raised to $11k) for GnRLE.

3 weeks later
#404 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Dear god .... please don't let CGC build this remake !

I'm torn as CGC quality has been exceptional so far.

I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping they've already built 1000 TZs on the secondary line and will have them ready to sell at TPF2023.

1 month later
#433 1 year ago
Quoted from Quadrider:

Word around the campfire is that if TZ is planned to be remade, it’ll be a collaboration between Pedretti Gaming and Pinball Brothers out of Italy. Of course, without any official word, it’s purely speculative conjecture.
Credit: Kaneda

You should switch campfires.

CGC has the license to remake TZ.

#439 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Do we really know this?

I've been told by a source close to CGC, but not directly from CGC - so take that FWIW. flynnibus is correct in his explanation from what my sources state, but I believe they probably have several future titles locked in at this point. They've stated what their target games were long ago but certain titles have increased more in value that others, so I'm sure that list changes over time. It's not hard to figure out by looking at the market - TZ, TOTAN, CV, BBB (and IJ/TAF if licensing can be obtained) are all still $10k+ aftermarket games.

#443 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really see the depreciation on originals when the remakes come out

Schwa? Maybe they rise a little over time, but as I can recall, when each remake came out, the originals all went down:

MM was $15-$20k and fell to $8k (maybe $10k-ish now?)
AFM was $9k and fell to $6k ($8k now?)
MB was $10k and fell to $7k ($8k now?)
CC was $15k+ and fell to $10k

*every* remake LE fetches more than an original (exceptional restorations excluded)

#446 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I wish I could find a nice MM for 10k

That's why I put the "ish" on MM - a lot of the originals are restored to some extent, so finding a lightly touched original is a challenge.

But if you are wanting one, wait for the remake SEs to come out later this year. That will push the prices down again for a short while.

#461 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

So for a classic BW that is loaded with toys/mechs and a widebody, any guess as to asking price from CGC if this remake will happen?

Why would it not be $8k for an SE like CCSE?

Scooby Doo SE is a widebody LCD and sells for $7769.

#463 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, it's safe to say that the cost to produce a TZr would be higher than that of CCr, so it would be likely that a price increase would be needed.
I would think an extra $500 to $1000 would be reasonable...but that's just a guess.

I forgot to mention Alien SE which is a widebody lcd and costs $8595 (but has to be shipped from Italy).

It's just an extra 3" of playfield, but ok - let's go with $8500 SE/$9750 CE. Make it so.

#467 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Scooby is not a widebody. Just a standard playfield size in a wider cabinet.
Also your prices for MM AFM and MB are waaaay too low.

You are incorrect - Scooby is a widebody playfield. At least the one sitting 5 feet away from me is.

70A99576-E45A-47F9-8B62-618D0161D139 (resized).jpeg70A99576-E45A-47F9-8B62-618D0161D139 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#494 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Somewhere a while back (like a few years ago) a very official person (Doug or Rick?) posted an actual list of the 6 remakes Cgc was doing. As I recall tz was not on that list. I didn’t dream that up, did I? Can anyone back me up on this?

You are probably thinking about Rick's post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-this-game-is-scary-good-chicago-gaming-company/page/2#post-4127913

So, as of 5 years ago, there were 7 remakes planned (3 more to go). The other 2 titles mentioned by Rick as possibilities were ToM and BBB. But as Rick also said - the potential list could change over time. If CGC thinks they could sell more TZr games than BBB or ToM, then it might actually happen.

#498 10 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

While I would love a TZ remake, I would think that (on top of the licensing issues) the re-tooling necessary to make wide-body machines might be costly/inconvenient. If they could spread that cost among multiple titles that would help a lot.
But, the only other wide-body remake candidates in the Pinside top 100 are Indiana Jones (#20) and Road Show (#87). Yes, the Pinside ranking is flawed, but it's still a decent list of what is popular or not.
IJ has its own licensing issues, and no one is clamoring for a RS remake (even though I think RS is underrated). Unless CGC is planning to release its own wide-body designs in the future, I doubt they would go this route.

I've heard others make this argument, but I don't quite understand it. Pinball machines are hand built by all manufacturers. Every single title requires retooling (ramps, toys, playfields, dimple press, wire harness looms, etc). I don't see how adding a couple of inches to a playfield requires extensive changes otherwise. Spooky just made their first widebody and I didn't hear anything about mass "re-tooling" efforts.

I'm not trying to refute what you are saying, just asking for your perspective.

#501 10 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Sure, there are new items made for each title, but, the cabinets and playfields are not "hand built".

You do realize that CGC is the same company as Churchill Cabinet, right? They've been making cabinets and playfields for many decades, so they already have the experience and tooling necessary to make widebody cabinets/playfields.

I don't know if you've seen this, but it's a fascinating look into the factory:

https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/churchill/index.html

There are certainly CNC machines and presses, but for the most part everything is hand assembled. The playfield inserts/sanding/screening/clearing are all manual processes.

Edit - I found the pic I was thinking about. Here is an original TZ playfield stamped "CCC" (Churchill Cabinet Company). So there you have it - CGC actually made some of the original TZ playfields long ago! So yes, they have all the tooling needed and perhaps even the original silkscreens.

TZ_CCC (resized).pngTZ_CCC (resized).png

3 months later
#677 6 months ago

Looking at the market, I would say TOTAN or TAF or IJ would be the smart move (assuming licensing was possible on the latter 2).

Any of those 3 with enhanced/extended code would be incredible.

Having said that, I would 100% be in on a $10k TZ LE too (with or without extended code).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-?tu=damonator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.